• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nacer Bouhanni

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Nacer has a temper and needs to calm down and think before using his hands.
That said, he's also a victim of his bad reputation and sometimes he gets relegated in sprints while others get away doing the same thing and I have a soft spot for him, back in 2014 he was really impressive, so I'm happy for him.

Tonton said:
(pourquoi tu tousses)
For Nacer...dead last today, penalized for arguing with his DS and punching the team car... :confused:

The end...Nacer and his thread will soon be a distant memory.

OOPS Tonton, perdu une occasion de la fermer (dit sans méchanceté) :lol:
You jumped the gun on the punched car (it's so funny)

Re: Re:

FrenchFry said:
...Bouhanni is an unpleasant hothead. I don't know what anti-immigrant sentiment has to do with that. If people don't like him it's likely because of who he is, not what his origins are.

I almost totally agree. Since you have lived in France for a number of years you are more able than most here to have a good laugh about all the silly comments seen on this thread about racism in France for example. BTW : do you know if there is any country with a higher percentage of interracial marriages? (since marriage will soon be a thing of the past in France, better get our numbers quickly).
Anyway, I was happy to see him win, it might help him calm down.

Le breton said:
Quoting Tonton (pourquoi tu tousses)
For Nacer...dead last today, penalized for arguing with his DS and punching the team car... :confused:

The end...Nacer and his thread will soon be a distant memory.

OOPS Tonton, perdu une occasion de la fermer (dit sans méchanceté) :lol:
You jumped the gun on the punched car (it's so funny)[/quote]
Yep, I was proven wrong :eek: . I knew that I would hear the music when login in :) . Having said that, In the stage thread I predicted his win "from last to first" :p .

Regardless, a flash of brilliance can't make up for three years of drama and poor performance, and I really can't see him turning it around. Nacer won today: I never questioned his legs...his head? Different story.

Wrong (i.e. worst) timing, but I doubt I'm wrong.

Le breton said:
.....Bouhanni is an unpleasant hothead. I don't know what anti-immigrant sentiment has to do with that. If people don't like him it's likely because of who he is, not what his origins are.
I almost totally agree. Since you have lived in France for a number of years you are more able than most here to have a good laugh about all the silly comments seen on this thread about racism in France for example. BTW : do you know if there is any country with a higher percentage of interracial marriages? (since marriage will soon be a thing of the past in France, better get our numbers quickly).

The following is purely guessing on my behalf!
Could be a combo; his... errr… unfortunate behaviour making (some, hopefully a minority) people go "Oh, but he's not really French." :rolleyes:
Which of course makes me wonder what the situation would've been liking if he'd been winning multiple Tour stages yearly since his breakthrough in 2014...

Off Topic: Why would marriage become a thing of the past in France?

Re:

search said:
I think As misunderstood the Jury Communique, to be honest. Or is there a proper source for this punshing thing?
The penalties in the communique are for "pushing off the car" ("Empujes contra un vehículo"), not punshing it, and sticky bottles, as far as I can see

AS got it right
https://as.com/ciclismo/2018/08/29/vuelta_espana/1535569716_913011.htm

Bouhanni was given 20 seconds penalty for taking a tow on the team car, and furthermore he was given a separate 10-second penalty because both Bouhanni and DS Jean-Luc Jonrond exhibited "behavior damaging to the image of cycling"

And then Bouhanni and Jonrond both denied that they did anything, but if so what was that ten-second penalty for ? They must have done something unusual

"Punching" the team car is somebody's really bad translation from Spanish to English

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
That said, he's also a victim of his bad reputation and sometimes he gets relegated in sprints while others get away doing the same thing and I have a soft spot for him, back in 2014 he was really impressive, so I'm happy for him.
Agree with this. 6th GT win. Coquard and Démare have combined for what, 2? Who would be the last French rider with that many GT stage wins? I feel like I'm forgetting someone.

jaylew said:
Mayomaniac said:
Agree with this. 6th GT win. Coquard and Démare have combined for what, 2? Who would be the last French rider with that many GT stage wins? I feel like I'm forgetting someone.
David Moncoutie!

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
search said:
I think As misunderstood the Jury Communique, to be honest. Or is there a proper source for this punshing thing?
The penalties in the communique are for "pushing off the car" ("Empujes contra un vehículo"), not punshing it, and sticky bottles, as far as I can see

AS got it right
https://as.com/ciclismo/2018/08/29/vuelta_espana/1535569716_913011.htm

Bouhanni was given 20 seconds penalty for taking a tow on the team car, and furthermore he was given a separate 10-second penalty because both Bouhanni and DS Jean-Luc Jonrond exhibited "behavior damaging to the image of cycling"

And then Bouhanni and Jonrond both denied that they did anything, but if so what was that ten-second penalty for ? They must have done something unusual

"Punching" the team car is somebody's really bad translation from Spanish to English
"Behavior damaging to the image of cycling" e.g. sticky bottles
Considering his final finishing position, 25 minutes down and 8 minutes behind the gruppetto, it seems obvious that they (Nacer and his DS) were just trying to get him to the finish within the time limit.

Le breton said:
FrenchFry said:
...Bouhanni is an unpleasant hothead. I don't know what anti-immigrant sentiment has to do with that. If people don't like him it's likely because of who he is, not what his origins are.

You'd have to define interracial. Brazil is probably highest I would think.

Wow that crash. It would be almost funny if people did not get hurt in the process. Luckily only one other rider went down and both Bouhanni and Siskevicius crossed the finish line so hopefully nothing broken - any update on their health yet?

And what to think of the crash - too much aggression again, or just bad luck?

So no fractures according to Cofidis twitter.

I think he lost control of his bike before he touched Philipsen. As if he simply fought his bike so much that trajectories of his body mass and his bike started to diverge beyond control. Weird for such an experienced sprinter.

I thought he just got left in a bad place by his leadout. It looks like the wind was right-to-left, so first he had to bump shoulders with Stewart to hold Boudat's wheel, then Boudat's positioning ended up giving Viviani an extra bit of time in the draft after his own leadout had pulled off, while Bouhanni had to come the long way around Boudat to follow Viviani.

I mean, he probably shouldn't have nudged Stewart either time, but once he saw Viviani go it was last-chance time. After that he just seemed to sit on Aberasturi's wheel to the line, I think he knew he was getting the heave-ho after the finish anyway.

I think if Arkea could do that sprint again, they'd try to come up on Cofidis' other side, or have Boudat pull off to the right, block Aberasturi, and give Bouhanni a clearer run while giving Viviani less shelter.

And that matches with Bouhanni's apology; (my italics)
“I want to say I’m sorry for Jake Stewart,” Bouhanni said in a team statement. “The sprint went like this: I saw Viviani launch, and I wanted to take his slipstream.

“I admit that my mistake was to change course to take his wheel. I don’t see Jake Stewart at that moment.

“When we made contact with each other, I found myself off-balanced and I caught myself as best I could so as not to crash.

“I just wanted to take the slipstream because the wind was coming from the front and right side — by no means was it intentional.”

And I think that's the difference between good leadout men, and great leadout men. It was a real show of strength for Boudat to bring Bouhanni up the windward side and take him to the front, but he left him with no clear run to the line. You don't see Morkov leaving Bennett to go the long way around, or Richeze blocking Gaviria's path. Mark Renshaw would've gone hard left to cut Viviani off and make sure nobody got in Cav's way.

Last edited:
I thought he just got left in a bad place by his leadout. It looks like the wind was right-to-left, so first he had to bump shoulders with Stewart to hold Boudat's wheel, then Boudat's positioning ended up giving Viviani an extra bit of time in the draft after his own leadout had pulled off, while Bouhanni had to come the long way around Boudat to follow Viviani.

I mean, he probably shouldn't have nudged Stewart either time, but once he saw Viviani go it was last-chance time. After that he just seemed to sit on Aberasturi's wheel to the line, I think he knew he was getting the heave-ho after the finish anyway.

I think if Arkea could do that sprint again, they'd try to come up on Cofidis' other side, or have Boudat pull off to the right, block Aberasturi, and give Bouhanni a clearer run while giving Viviani less shelter.

And that matches with Bouhanni's apology; (my italics)

And I think that's the difference between good leadout men, and great leadout men. It was a real show of strength for Boudat to bring Bouhanni up the windward side and take him to the front, but he left him with no clear run to the line. You don't see Morkov leaving Bennett to go the long way around, or Richeze blocking Gaviria's path. Mark Renshaw would've gone hard left to cut Viviani off and make sure nobody got in Cav's way.
I've defended Bouhanni in the past, but I find it very hard to believe he didn't know someone was there on Viviani's wheel. He moves across on a left leg downwards part of his pedal stroke and that, with the wind, probably caused a bigger shift across than he expected, but I'm pretty certain he either knew or knew to expect someone was there and he didn't care, he just wanted the fastest wheel. The issue is, following wheels doesn't count as launching a sprint, so it's going to be hard for the UCI to do that much.

The situation compared to Groenewegen is completely different too. Dylan had no reason to move across other than to shut off Jakobsen/force him into the barriers. He wasn't following a wheel and has no excuse for his deviation. While the consequences might well have been the same had a crash happened, I do think that a severe punishment here could threaten sprinting.

TRENDING THREADS