• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Nacer Bouhanni

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bouhanni was on his way back or he arguably was back on top already. Then this horrific crash in Turkey happened and killed his career! :confused: :(
He looked like he'd gotten back to a really great level and I was happy for him and excited to see what he what he could do; that crash was so nasty and a very sad way to go out. He had his issues, yes, but I've always had a kind of a soft spot for the Bouhanni/Bryan Coquard types, good enough to be very close to the best, but not quite there. Good luck to him in the future.

Reactions: staubsauger
I think he was a deeply unpleasant person who was a very bad ambassador for the sport and made the pro peloton a more unsafe place.

Good riddance.

A lot of the sprinters have been hot tempered but most manage to keep it under control during races. Bouhanni would have benefited greatly from a therapist to learn how to harness his aggression in a productive way. (or teams just refusing to put up with it but as long as he was winning, we know how that goes)

To me striking or provoking another rider during a race or deliberately crashing/aggressively blocking them (and he's not the only one to ever do it) crosses a red line. That's why I hate when teams block the road after a break goes. (I know it's not really dangerous but it's using the bike as an obstacle.)

After the finish I'd love to see more Nascar-style rumbles, of course. That's when Bouhanni's boxing training could have really shown.

Maybe just a bit below the best sprinters of mid 2010s after … and Demare?
It depends on what you call the mid 2010s. Up to 2017 Bouhanni had shown to be the better sprinter. Demare just had MSR over him but Bouhanni had 6 GT stage wins and a points classification to 0, 16 WT wins to 5, and 52 pro wins to 37. After that year Demare has eclipsed him in all of the above and has a longer stay at the top. Only thing Bouhanni has over Demare is four 10 plus win season to three but Demare won more in two of those three seasons than Bouhanni did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bolder
It depends on what you call the mid 2010s. Up to 2017 Bouhanni had shown to be the better sprinter. Demare just had MSR over him but Bouhanni had 6 GT stage wins and a points classification to 0, 16 WT wins to 5, and 52 pro wins to 37. After that year Demare has eclipsed him in all of the above and has a longer stay at the top. Only thing Bouhanni has over Demare is four 10 plus win season to three but Demare won more in two of those three seasons than Bouhanni did.

Bouhanni certainly had a very symmetrical peak, I'll give him that.

2012: 7 wins
2013: 11 wins
2014: 11 wins
2015: 11 wins
2016: 11 wins
2017: 7 wins