• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
And just like back then, Froome sits on a comfortable lead. He doesn't have to do another PSM and cause another twitter storm of doubt and scepticism. Instead, he can just sit on Quintana's wheel or even let him gain a little time.

I think only Alpe d'huez might tell us whether Froome is still a minute better than Quintana over a 40 minute effort.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
And just like back then, Froome sits on a comfortable lead. He doesn't have to do another PSM and cause another twitter storm of doubt and scepticism. Instead, he can just sit on Quintana's wheel or even let him gain a little time.

I think only Alpe d'huez might tell us whether Froome is still a minute better than Quintana over a 40 minute effort.

The assumption seems to be from "a few" Quintana fans is that Quintana is stronger. So far Froome has been stronger. Quintana has showed nothing to suggest he can drop Porte never mind Froome.
It seems to be on the basis of Froome having a F%%kig awful day for Quintana to pull back 3 mins.

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
The assumption seems to be from "a few" Quintana fans is that Quintana is stronger. So far Froome has been stronger. Quintana has showed nothing to suggest he can drop Porte never mind Froome.
It seems to be on the basis of Froome having a F%%kig awful day for Quintana to pull back 3 mins.

:confused: :rolleyes:
Porte is already 1 and a half hour behind. And just today he lost 2 minutes...

damian13ster said:
Are there Alpes in Vuelta? Or what is he waiting for?
Shame that GT's dont have 40 racing days, 39 of those 20km long MTFs

wow. Some people just can't dissimulate their hatred towards Quintana.

Re:

damian13ster said:

He is 25, so white jersey and second in GC would be great achievement and it's not his fault that some people had unreal expectations. He is also facing very strong rival with incredible form. He said yesterday that second in GC would be a honour for him, so he is slowly accepting that he won't win this. For me this is not surprising and I don't understand why a guy who is 25 is criticized for being second in GC.

But it's very surprising that you are still posting in this thread. Half a year ago you were sure that he won't win any WT race this year and you even bet on that and you weren't here later after Tirreno win. So this is something to think about.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Quintana fans, i thought piti was gonna ride for him? I was being a genius denying this to ever happen heh?

And what's with this 3rd week being a god quintana? And the guy is riding for 2nd...

TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

He is 25, so white jersey and second in GC would be great achievement and it's not his fault that some people had unreal expectations. He is also facing very strong rival with incredible form. He said yesterday that second in GC would be a honour for him, so he is slowly accepting that he won't win this. For me this is not surprising and I don't understand why a guy who is 25 is criticized for being second in GC.

But it's very surprising that you are still posting in this thread. Half a year ago you were sure that he won't win any WT race this year and you even bet on that and you weren't here later after Tirreno win. So this is something to think about.

lol, is this true? And what made he think he wouldn't?

tristecsinamigos said:
TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

lol, is this true? And what made he think he wouldn't?

That was not a money betting, but some sort of betting with other member on this board.
Here are the posts: viewtopic.php?p=1612074#p1612074

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Quintana fans, i thought piti was gonna ride for him? I was being a genius denying this to ever happen heh?

And what's with this 3rd week being a god quintana? And the guy is riding for 2nd...

Yes. If he blows, he could lose his second to Valverde. I wonder what Valverde is thinking right now too?

Quintana is completely defensive right now. That's a big difference between him and Contador (who doesn't care about the podium).

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:

He's not? Really? Want to back that up? Did he done anything to harm Quintana and his team interests? Didn't hear complains from Unzue and Quintana! Maybe little mad because he chased your precious Alberto today? Is that it?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

Come on. We have had countless Quintana fanatics claiming he his the greatest climber better than Pantani :D
He was 2nd last time he rode the tour. He his 25 not 19. He his not any stronger now than 2 years ago?
To win this tour he has to hope Froome has bad days....that would be the victory of a great champion.

At one point today Froome was surrounded by movie riders, I was laughing it looked crazy.
Movie/Quintana had chance after chance to counter attack. They seemed more interested in Bertie,
they put the hammer down soon as he crashed. Why not 50/ 60km before? They have 2 v 1 advantage. Disappointed in Valverde today. He podium chased.
The have 2 riders to use to their advantage. Take some big chances and go for it.
What sort of time is Quintana going to get trying to attack Froome inside 3 km ,,,,Pathetic.
If they carry on like this I'm going to start cheering for Froome.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
With the podium pretty much in Movistar's hands, I still believe he'll give it a go on the Friday.
And I'm sure he'd like a stage victory. Froome won't shake him with ease again.

Why not? He beat nearly all the movie team on his own today.

TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

True, I was wrong. He won TA. You have to admit, I wasn't that far of from my prediction being true. Single stage victory in World Tour and a GC won by 18" over Mollema.
Certainly much closer to the truth than posters saying he is the best climber in the world.
I have nothing against Quintana himself, other than the fact that he is boring to watch.
It is just posters who overrate him so badly that gets on my nerve.

And 2nd in GT is great. It was obvious though since stage 10 that he is much weaker climber than Froome, yet some posters were still claiming otherwise

ray j willings said:
sir fly said:
With the podium pretty much in Movistar's hands, I still believe he'll give it a go on the Friday.

I'd rather say he "matched" them.
But Quintana is the subject, and I think he has the legs to solo on a stage.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

sir fly said:
ray j willings said:
sir fly said:

I'd rather say he "matched" them.
But Quintana is the subject, and I think he has the legs to solo on a stage.

How is that physically possible :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

bala v said:
Miburo said:

He's not? Really? Want to back that up? Did he done anything to harm Quintana and his team interests? Didn't hear complains from Unzue and Quintana! Maybe little mad because he chased your precious Alberto today? Is that it?

Well chasing contador was ***, that's a fact.

And did piti ever help quintana? Cause that what the fans said would happen. Piti will never ride for anyone, he just can't do it and there's nothing wrong with it but don't be in denial.

He set up a platform for an attack multiple times, looking back constantly being ahead of the group, waiting for Quintana to attack but he sucked wheels instead.
Don't get where the Valverde bashing is coming from. He is active, didn't leave Nairo, spends quite a bit of time in the wind and is still 3rd in GC

ray j willings said:
TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

Come on. We have had countless Quintana fanatics claiming he his the greatest climber better than Pantani :D
He was 2nd last time he rode the tour. He his 25 not 19. He his not any stronger now than 2 years ago?

It's difficult to say if he is stronger than 2 years ago or not. I think Froome is a little bit stronger than 2 years ago and Quintana is maybe more or less on the same level as in 2013. I also think that heat is a big factor this year. This is an advantage for Froome and a disadvantage for Quintana/Contador/Nibali (this is not excuse!). Nibali form is biggest mystery because it was reported that his numbers were bigger before this tour than beofe tour in 2014, so in my opinion heat 'wore him out' in the first week and in the first mountain stage (this is only my theory). In my opinion differences on stage 10 would be a lot smaller with normal temperatures.

damian13ster said:
TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

True, I was wrong. He won TA. You have to admit, I wasn't that far of from my prediction being true. Single stage victory in World Tour and a GC won by 18" over Mollema.

And how many WT stage victories have other top guys?
Contador and Nibali 0
Froome 2 (both on Dauphine, shortly before Tour)
How many WT overall win have the others?
Contador 1 (Giro)
Froome 1 (Dauphine)
Nibali 0

So there is not a big difference between them. And did you watch this win on Terminillo? It was rather impressive attack, 5km before the finish and with a strong headwind.

TomekA said:
damian13ster said:
TomekA said:
damian13ster said:

And how many WT stage victories have other top guys?
Contador and Nibali 0
Froome 2 (both on Dauphine, shortly before Tour)
How many WT overall win have the others?
Contador 1 (Giro)
Froome 1 (Dauphine)
Nibali 0

So there is not a big difference between them. And did you watch this win on Terminillo? It was rather impressive attack, 5km before the finish and with a strong headwind.

Yes, I saw that. I admitted I was wrong about him getting 0 wins (he got 1).
Not sure what your point is though. Isn't he massively overrated on this forum (best climber since Pantani, he is just waiting for mountain stages, he is still waiting,.... oh wait, the race has ended already)?

Not saying he doesnt have talent (obviously he does), but he is massively overrated.

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site

Miburo said:
bala v said:
Miburo said:

And did piti ever help quintana? Cause that what the fans said would happen. Piti will never ride for anyone, he just can't do it and there's nothing wrong with it but don't be in denial.

Why is that a fact?! He's following his team instructions, Contador is a threat for them and they don't want to give him an inch. And that's genius?! Well not by me...

Again, I don't hear any complains about Valverde by his team or Quintana, on the contrary only hear praises for team work. But you know better it seems...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Damian makes sense for once, yes quintana is incredibily overrated in this forum but not only here.

The media claimed that he's the best climber by far, i don't know what races they've seen to come to that conclusion.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

bala v said:
Miburo said:
bala v said:
Miburo said:

Why is that a fact?! He's following his team instructions, Contador is a threat for them and they don't want to give him an inch. And that's genius?! Well not by me...

Again, I don't hear any complains about Valverde by his team or Quintana, on the contrary only hear praises for team work. But you know better it seems...

Podium or win the tour? Chase down Bertie or try and distance Froome ?

TRENDING THREADS