• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Yes, I can't read:eek:

:rolleyes:

he has a chance is like 1%, almost any rider with considerable talent and engine has that. although henao has a far bigger chance of ever winning roubaix than other gc riders like contador, froome or others.

Afrank said:
The only problem with going for the Tour win though is he's not heading into it as the #1 favorite for the win (that will be Froome), there will be question marks on how he will handle the cobbles, and if he can't put big time on Froome by Hautacam (Will probably need at least 2 minutes if not more) Froome will take time on him in the TT.

Based on those I would consider him in with a much better shot at the top step in the Giro and Vuelta.

Agree. Also Piti calls the shot at Movistar. So he will want to give the tour one lat shot meaning Quintana to Giro

Ryo Hazuki said:
he has a chance is like 1%, almost any rider with considerable talent and engine has that. although henao has a far bigger chance of ever winning roubaix than other gc riders like contador, froome or others.

As Netserk pointed out, no. You were wrong, I was right, and its there for everyone to see. Just like with Mont Ventoux (on which you were called out) and on LGB (on which everyone called you out).

Anyway since your explanations are so entertaining, I think its time for the Nibali one.

Remember, when about 6 months ago you said that you could name 30 climbers better than Nibali.

Tell us why, after he won the Giro by being heads and shoulders the best climber, and beat about 15 colombian riders on mountain after mountain, and came 2nd in the Vuelta after being the 2nd best climber, you think you were right and me and others were wrong.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
Agree. Also Piti calls the shot at Movistar. So he will want to give the tour one lat shot meaning Quintana to Giro

piti is definitely not the leader anymore at movistar. already this year you could see piti didn't call the shots, as quintana rode the tour in a free role and made leader later on. if piti had anything to say quintana would've done the giro and not mess with his tour. after this years tour there is no way back anymore either. it is all quintana, illustrated also by getting his brother dayer

Ryo Hazuki said:
piti is definitely not the leader anymore at movistar. already this year you could see piti didn't call the shots, as quintana rode the tour in a free role and made leader later on. if piti had anything to say quintana would've done the giro and not mess with his tour. after this years tour there is no way back anymore either. it is all quintana, illustrated also by getting his brother dayer

Quintana was brought to the tour to help Valverde. They made him exhaust himself with long range attacks while Valverde was comfortably in the peloton. Also when Valverde had that famous mechanical, they all dropped down to help Valverde and left poor Quintana literally alone. Also in the later part of the race, all Valverde did was make sure that he rode up the GC rather than sacrifice his chances for Quintana. This year it might be different though as otherwise they will kill the golden goose.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
IndianCyclist said:
Quintana was brought to the tour to help Valverde. They made him exhaust himself with long range attacks while Valverde was comfortably in the peloton. Also when Valverde had that famous mechanical, they all dropped down to help Valverde and left poor Quintana literally alone. Also in the later part of the race, all Valverde did was make sure that he rode up the GC rather than sacrifice his chances for Quintana. This year it might be different though as otherwise they will kill the golden goose.

I would like to point out that quintana wasn't made to attack anywhere. he decided himself every time he did. despite unzue trying to controll him.

No way Quintana will lead Tour next year, unless Valverde gets injured or something. Quintana doesn't stand a chance in the Tour because he won't get a gap on Froome big enough before the TT, if he does get one. That said, VV will want to try for a Tour top3 before he sticks to Vuelta and classics for the rest of his career.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
BigMac said:
No way Quintana will lead Tour next year, unless Valverde gets injured or something. Quintana doesn't stand a chance in the Tour because he won't get a gap on Froome big enough before the TT, if he does get one. That said, VV will want to try for a Tour top3 before he sticks to Vuelta and classics for the rest of his career.

So you saying Quintana will not get enough of a gap to Froome in moutains but Valverde will ? :confused:

Quintana is already better climber than Valverde, and will improve till July.

Gloin22 said:
So you saying Quintana will not get enough of a gap to Froome in moutains but Valverde will ? :confused:

Quintana is already better climber than Valverde, and will improve till July.

No that is not what i am saying. My point is, since Quintana won't be a factor, VV will lead and give a Tour podium his last shot.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
will10 said:
Nah, I think even Valverde knows we saw a changing of the guard in July. I think they'll be in for Quintana.

Agree.

I think Valverde muttering about doing the Giro :)eek:) is because he realises Quintana will, rightly, be leader at the Tour.

From what I've read they room together at the races that they've both participated in and they train together so I would surmise that Valverde and Quintana get along and that Valverde is well aware of Quintana's talents, probably more than anyone else.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It would surprise me if Valverde thought that in the long run he deserved more leadership opportunities than Quintana. Agree with others, think that Valverde thinking about the Giro is probably due to him not wanting to get in Quintana's way if he wants to lead the Tour (that, and it fits in well with another run at the Vuelta).

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Not really. Tour is the only cycling race that people with no cycling knowledge acknowledge and follow. Tour gives much much much more media spotlight on the team. And that's what the sponsor wants. Attention.

Movistar has got a big pr interest in the South America market, because of being the biggest contrahent of Telmax! Especially in Colombia! And in Colombia as far as I know the Giro aswell has got a excellent reputation, because it's the only one major tour which included Colombian squads (Colombia-Selle Italia & Colombia-Coldeportes) in the past!

So beside the sportif fact that the Giro is much more suited to Quintana and he would have an excellent chance to take the victory, it makes also sense in a marketing sense to let him aim for pink!

Valverde actually can podium the tour, so does Quintana. None of them is likely to win yellow next year. But Valverde chances at the giro are by far lower in comprehension to the ones of Nairo!

In conclusion Quintana should just aim for pink!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
staubsauger said:
Movistar has got a big pr interest in the South America market, because of being the biggest contrahent of Telmax! Especially in Colombia! And in Colombia as far as I know the Giro aswell has got a excellent reputation, because it's the only one major tour which included Colombian squads (Colombia-Selle Italia & Colombia-Coldeportes) in the past!

So beside the sportif fact that the Giro is much more suited to Quintana and he would have an excellent chance to take the victory, it makes also sense in a marketing sense to let him aim for pink!

Valverde actually can podium the tour, so does Quintana. None of them is likely to win yellow next year. But Valverde chances at the giro and Tour are by far lower in comprehension to the ones of Nairo!

In conclusion Quintana should just aim for pink!

Fixed :p (and I agree BTW).

Now that Il Giro & Tour parcours have been unveiled, and realizing the Italian GC is the most suitable to Nairo's skills- I do believe is up to Unzue & The Team to establish what are they expecting from him next year: If Movistar desires a GC title-send Nairo to Italy & Spain-If they want him to concentrate exclusively on the Tour-then so be it-which I don't see it as a bad decision either, even if the Cobbles stage & the Long ITT won't favor him-but I truly believe-If Nairo Quintana wants to become the first Colombian TDF winner, he better prepare himself to overcome all kinds of terrains, circumstances, adversaries while developing leadership skills- so the sooner he starts the process, the better.

I want to see Nairo riding as a Leader without Valverde...

hfer07 said:
Now that Il Giro & Tour parcours have been unveiled, and realizing the Italian GC is the most suitable to Nairo's skills- I do believe is up to Unzue & The Team to establish what are they expecting from him next year: If Movistar desires a GC title-send Nairo to Italy & Spain-If they want him to concentrate exclusively on the Tour-then so be it-which I don't see it as a bad decision either, even if the Cobbles stage & the Long ITT won't favor him-but I truly believe-If Nairo Quintana wants to become the first Colombian TDF winner, he better prepare himself to overcome all kinds of terrains, circumstances, adversaries while developing leadership skills- so the sooner he starts the process, the better.

I want to see Nairo riding as a Leader without Valverde...

I just don't see it happening even if he has a better chance of winning the Giro. Valverde probably does not want to ride in Italy and since when does someone who finished second in the Tour miss the race the following year? I think they will both return to the Tour. The cobbles and the long TT will be good experience for him and if Froome turns up not as strong as last year, Nibali and Quintana become much more dangerous. Let's face it, a fall or a virus can mean race over for Froome even in peak form. It's always a lottery over three weeks. On the other hand if Froome starts stringing Tour wins together, many GC riders will probably opt for the Giro in the future except for Andy of course and the French.

movingtarget said:
I just don't see it happening even if he has a better chance of winning the Giro. Valverde probably does not want to ride in Italy and since when does someone who finished second in the Tour miss the race the following year? I think they will both return to the Tour. The cobbles and the long TT will be good experience for him and if Froome turns up not as strong as last year, Nibali and Quintana become much more dangerous. Let's face it, a fall or a virus can mean race over for Froome even in peak form. It's always a lottery over three weeks. On the other hand if Froome starts stringing Tour wins together, many GC riders will probably opt for the Giro in the future except for Andy of course and the French.

TdF podium placed riders who didn't start the following year:
Wiggo
Nibali
Andy (doesn't really count as he wanted to)
Menchov
Sastre (rode the Tour, but was better in the Giro)
(Menchov '08 targeted the Giro the following year, but was only on the podium if you don't count Kohl)
The Disco/Astana boys who weren't allowed to start next year.

Netserk said:
TdF podium placed riders who didn't start the following year:
Wiggo
Nibali
Andy (doesn't really count as he wanted to)
Menchov
Sastre (rode the Tour, but was better in the Giro)
(Menchov '08 targeted the Giro the following year, but was only on the podium if you don't count Kohl)
The Disco/Astana boys who weren't allowed to start next year.

Yeah there is some but if we look back through history and riders that finished second multiple times or even once, most return to the Tour the year after. Zoetemelk, he probably rode both, same as Poulidor, Rominger, Ullrich, Evans, Schleck and many others. Of course riders routinely rode both GTs before and Rominger opted for the Vuelta also.

Quintana against Porte in the Giro would make an interesting race I think along with Rodriguez and a few others. Froome would probably prefer that scenario as well.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
brilleaben said:
Whoever they send to the Tour won't win. Whoever they send to the Giro/Vuelta could very likely win. That's the decision they have to make.

I have to agree with you. In order Quintana will be able to have a chance to tackle Froome, only if Schleck and Contador are back on their prime. Other wise, I don't see how he can win the tour. Vuelta or Giro, then he got chances to win there. Nibali? I don't think he'll able to challenge Froome in the mountain. TA is different race than Tour.