• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 290 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's hard to understand why Unzue wants to alienate the second best GT rider in the world unless he has Landa under contract and thinks he is a better prospect for the future in winning Grand Tours. As for Quintana maybe a move could be of some benefit but also it could deepen his problem, it's not easy to get a dedicated competent team around a new star signing.

I have trouble believing Unzue would want Quintana to leave. Nairo is super important for Movistar's marketing strategy in Latin America, and even with his disappointing performances at his key objectives his results are still much, much better than those of any potential replacement. Both in GTs and one-week races.

Rather, I imagine Unzue wants Quintana to react in a certain way. He wants to send a message so that Nairo gets his act together. Maybe he was getting too comfortable or whatever.

It's still very unusual behaviour for Unzue, so any interpretation is going to be a bit shaky.

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Looking at GT's Astana would be the most likely move for Quintana.

Valv.Piti said:
I always think Valverde at least was co-leader, Valverde and Unzue were just downplaying it to the extreme. There was no real credibility to what they said to the press.
This year's TDF route fits Valverde much much more than it does Quintana, so I agree with you.

I dont know how he would cope at Sky (if it were to happen). He cant be pulling Froome on a MTF! That would be it. Astana could be a better move. On the other hand the training or whatever else :)D) at Sky may help him improve his TT which is probably his weakest link.

Re: Re:

wouterkaas said:
Looking at GT's Astana would be the most likely move for Quintana.

Valv.Piti said:
I always think Valverde at least was co-leader, Valverde and Unzue were just downplaying it to the extreme. There was no real credibility to what they said to the press.
This year's TDF route fits Valverde much much more than it does Quintana, so I agree with you.
According to today's L'Equipe, Unzue decided after the Giro that Valverde would be the leader and Quintana the teammate.

wouterkaas said:
Has a rider ever given up/abandoned because he couldn't live up to the expectations, but was otherwise perfectly healthy?
Many times. It's always covered up by some story (back pain, food poisoning, virus etc.etc.)
And with Nairo here, this isn't really about unfulfilled expectations. Everyone can loose time by accident or one bad day. Then - being generally in good shape - you can change your priorities or whatsoever.

But c'mon, he arrived in couple hilly/mountainous stages, couple minutes back. To guys, with all do respect, like Meintjes.
For top3 climber in the world this must be humiliating.
Sometimes you have to withdraw because further competition might cause long lasting mental damage.
Fortunately, today he wasn't that bad.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Wouldn't have pissed me off if Valverde had been co-leader. Landa is a problem. Astana is a great option. I see going to Sky as settling for lesser races honestly. I would be giving up on beating Froome for sure.
This.

They probably added the Sky team for bargaining purposes like these agents do quite often. Astana would be the best fit IMHO.

I don't believe this has anything to do with Valverde. They get along very well.

Alexandre B. said:
According to today's L'Equipe, Unzue decided after the Giro that Valverde would be the leader and Quintana the teammate.
Sending Nairo to the Giro could be seen as a sinister plot from Unzue so that his boy Valverde finally gets his Tour win. Don't want to believe that. (Although if true Nairo should go to Astana as soon as possible.)

fauniera said:
Alexandre B. said:
Sending Nairo to the Giro could be seen as a sinister plot from Unzue so that his boy Valverde finally gets his Tour win. Don't want to believe that. (Although if true Nairo should go to Astana as soon as possible.)
It very well could have been the plot, and Nairo owes Valverde since last year in particular. IMO, this year's course was the best TdF course that Valverde could imagine, and looking back at stages that could have been problematic for him, time gaps turned up to be very small between the contenders. Add to this small bunch finishes and a couple of muritos, at ten seconds a pop...

Nairo's poor form at the Tour shouldn't be a reason for fans and teams to jump off the bandwagon. And Nairo himself must be sick to his stomach not to have solely focused on Le Tour. Froome was beatable.

Astana.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I dont know about these rumours. Why would his agent actively reach out to Sky? I know its because Landa possibly is leaving for Movistar, but Sky will still have Froome. I can understand Astana tho, they could build a great team around him I think. I heard rumours about Valverde being the 'secret' captain' pre-TdF, that has maybe pissed him off.

According to who you believe Landa and Movistar is a done deal and it makes sense with Valverde's age and Quintana rumors. As for Quintana going to Sky he is five years younger than Froome and there has to be doubts about Thomas winning a GT. I would be kinda surprised though if Quintana went to Sky as he definitely wouldn't be team leader at the Tour not next year anyway. Porte and TJVG have signed for an extra year for BMC but you have to wonder about BMC's future as they are only signing riders for one year deals and some of the domestiques are moving on as they want more stability. Would not be surprised if Porte was also on the move after next season but he will be 33 next year. Riders don't want to get caught in a Tinkoff situation if they have the chance to sign elsewhere and for longer.

Valv.Piti said:
Arnout said:
I repeat: look what happens if the man who never attacks isn't there to attack...
Two years in a row, absolutely no threads to Froome apart from a few attacks 2-3 kilometres from the summit.

Sometimes you get a lucky break and you can only beat the riders who line up but for me this race would have been much harder and aggressive with Valverde and Porte, and Quintana picked the wrong year to do the Giro. Froome has not made one successful attack in the mountains. After the last two Tours I think Froome is beatable and throw in maybe Nibali and Dumoulin next year as well it only gets harder for Froome. I have doubts he is going to get back to his old form pre 2016. Even Aru with a full preparation and without injuries and also Dan Martin who has been injured in this race will make it harder. If Froome had ridden the Giro in this form I am not convinced he would have won.

There is sense for Quintana considering going to Sky as it would play well, if he and team focus on Giro and Vuelta that works as a double well for him and route profiles too. Sky could give TdF to Thomas then, who could ride Vuelta too as it's good for both NQ and him to be on a high note when going out from the season to the next season. I think Thomas is next who can challenge Tom D somehow at routes that suite for both. Seems (and this years TdF probably supports) that route like this is favoured in future too. Hopefully. There is no sense to make all GTs climbers race and Quintana, Landa they hit that same old trouble as Gibo Simoni who came with high horse saying he and his team can handle TdF. They were flat flattish and he couldn't.. ASO probably understands this and sets the plate ready for Sky, Sunweb. And BMC. And Sagan, if he gets his balance checked.. :cool:

memyselfandI said:
There is sense for Quintana considering going to Sky as it would play well, if he and team focus on Giro and Vuelta that works as a double well for him and route profiles too. Sky could give TdF to Thomas then, who could ride Vuelta too as it's good for both NQ and him to be on a high note when going out from the season to the next season. I think Thomas is next who can challenge Tom D somehow at routes that suite for both. Seems (and this years TdF probably supports) that route like this is favoured in future too. Hopefully. There is no sense to make all GTs climbers race and Quintana, Landa they hit that same old trouble as Gibo Simoni who came with high horse saying he and his team can handle TdF. They were flat flattish and he couldn't.. ASO probably understands this and sets the plate ready for Sky, Sunweb. And BMC. And Sagan, if he gets his balance checked.. :cool:
That will never, ever, happen.

There is no money in the world to pay Quintana to just focus on the Giro-Vuelta double.

And BTW, it looks like Unzue and Quintana already patched things up. At least for the moment. So he will honor his contract. I would be very surprised if not. They have a big marketing program in Colombia and South America.

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I have never been a fan of Quintana. But I miss that fighter from Ventoux in 2013, cycling need that guy back. Movistar or Astana i don't care, just come back and climb like that again.