• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
kum dobrica said:
Regardless of the descent "controversy", Quintana has put 2+ minutes into the group on the climb.
That's a performance head and shoulders above the others. And it promises at least one more stage victory for him.

if the controversy wasnt there, then Quintana wud have got the pink jersey on stage 18; probably lost it on stage 19; and regained it on stage 20.

If anyone had thought that Q wont win this Giro, then they were living in fool's paradise.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
murali said:
if the controversy wasnt there, then Quintana wud have got the pink jersey on stage 18; probably lost it on stage 19; and regained it on stage 20.

If anyone had thought that Q wont win this Giro, then they were living in fool's paradise.

It's always easy to make these claims in hindsight. :rolleyes:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This reminds me of last year's Tour, when people said - battle for first place is over, but X, Y and Z is still very exciting! :eek: The overall win is what it's all about, with that decided, the race is pretty much over.

nah, this is so different from the boring de tour, Evans and Uran are fading,

Pierre Rolland (Fra) Team Europcar 0:03:26
Rafal Majka (Pol) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:03:28
Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:03:34
Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 0:03:49
Wilco Kelderman (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:04:06

these five are all together trying to make the podium, except Domenico, all the other riders could be future tour winners, trying to make their names in the Giro. I can't recall last tour was ever this exciting.

I just don't quite comprehend why this so called "controversy" is still debated- The official race statement was clear: race NOT NEUTRALIZED on Stelvio's descend.

How more clear can this be?? The rumor was taken by others NOT WANTING TO RACE-well- those unwilling to do so were the losers today!!!

hats off to Quintana, Rolland, Hesjedal & Cataldo who "disobeyed" that rumor & went on to race, like they're suppose to do. :cool:

hfer07 said:
The official race statement was clear: race NOT NEUTRALIZED on Stelvio's descend.

Well, to be fair (and not to take anything away from Quintana's fantastic performance on the final climb), I don't think anything about the situation is as clear as you're indicating here. Even Hesjdal's director sportif is now quoted as saying that he thought the descent was neutralized and that he tried (and failed) to get that information to his rider. See Andrew Hood's (now expanded) article on this situation at VeloNews.

hfer07 said:
I just don't quite comprehend why this so called "controversy" is still debated- The official race statement was clear: race NOT NEUTRALIZED on Stelvio's descend.

How more clear can this be?? The rumor was taken by others NOT WANTING TO RACE-well- those unwilling to do so were the losers today!!!

hats off to Quintana, Rolland, Hesjedal & Cataldo who "disobeyed" that rumor & went on to race, like they're suppose to do. :cool:

It's not as clear cut as you're making it.
Race organizers said in radio that there would be a Moto pacing the riders with a red flag. Some DS (most of them, from what I'm hearing) thought this meant the descent would be neutralized (how could they do that, i don't know and i blame the DS for not asking if they were unsure or they didn't understand the message).

That said, it's the other riders fault to not follow Quintana when he attacked. As Cassani stated after the stage, if a rider like Quintana goes, first you follow him and then you worry about the possible neutralization.

Of course, now he's wearing the maglia rosa, Nairito can suck the wheel of any attack he likes.

The problem with a backloaded Giro is that there's little reason being in form for the start of it. If anything, the illness has helped Quintana in this respect as he's now peaking just in time for the big epic mountains, while riders who looked really strong in week 1 (Urán, Evans) are fading, and the stages to come look like they will distance them.

That said, it's still been the best Giro since 2010, and better than any GT in 2013. Nairito may seemingly have it sewn up, but now Movistar are charged with defending Rosa, the strength of their forces on the stages to come could be challenged, probably most likely by Ag2r. I think Nairo will be able to control the race from here on in, he has enough left in the tank and his climbing level is the best in the race, but still, the battle for 2nd and 3rd should be very fun with a lot of contenders quite close to one another, especially with a TT like Monte Grappa to come.

And the thing with Nairito is that he blows the race apart, sometimes not when you expect it too - attacking more than one climb out in the Tour last year, three climbs out when he won the Route du Sud, and even on a descent here, controversy or no controversy, Quintana attacking on a descent is something that people don't necessarily expect. Abarcá are brilliant at opportunism on the big occasion even if they occasionally court controversy with it - they managed to win a Tour with Óscar Pereiro that way, nearly won a Giro with David Arroyo with it, managed to insert Luís León Sánchez into a GC mix he had no business being part of, albeit temporarily, in the 2010 Tour, were a key part of the Froome isolation stage in last year's Tour (although they failed to capitalise on the situation they developed) and the Fuente Dé mugging, and picked up a bunch of stage wins and leader's jerseys in unexpected places with the likes of Kiryienka, Intxausti, Visconti, Lastras and Costa. It isn't surprising that they might try something unusual or push their luck (can't we just imagine them in the car saying "they said that they'd have a red flag, but did they say it was neutralised? Nobody actually specifically said it was neutralised, did they? Nairo, try pushing on and see what the race directors say!"?). And let's face it, Nairito was strong enough and talented enough to make it work, gained a bunch more time on the final climb, and it might have won him a Grand Tour. Can't argue with the end product.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
movistar had great tactics by using monster descender gorka izagirre as lead out for quintana in the descend, the few that could follow are now podium candidates like hesjedal and rolland

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Flamin said:
San Luis is in january and I didn't see much improvement since, in Tirreno and Catalunya. Very different from last year.

because he delibieratly took back training after sna luis when he saw he was alreayd in too good form. and look at today. perfect!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
rainman said:
Freakin awesome, had to say something. Haven't seen the like of it in many years, if ever, still cant believe it. :eek:

exactly. people complaining when imn fact the strongest rider deservedly won in one of the most epic stages we've ever seen!

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
because he delibieratly took back training after sna luis when he saw he was alreayd in too good form. and look at today. perfect!

But but Uran was not cooked to you?, oh wait... I guess you was right about that the other day too.

Finally he delivered something that proved big heart and big cojones! Now that's the move of a champion!
Excellent!

Big minuses to the *** DS of Trek, Omega, Cannondale and whatever: they wanted the race radios, now they're blaming the communications. I heard it, they just have to blame themselves for their stupidity.
He attacks on the descent and you want to get him back? You race, and you ****ing go get him, else you just shut up!

Awesome move, deserved win and maglia rosa!

Pippo_San said:
Finally he delivered something that proved big heart and big cojones! Now that's the move of a champion!
Excellent!

Big minuses to the *** DS of Trek, Omega, Cannondale and whatever: they wanted the race radios, now they're blaming the communications. I heard it, they just have to blame themselves for their stupidity.
He attacks on the descent and you want to get him back? You race, and you ****ing go get him, else you just shut up!

Awesome move, deserved win and maglia rosa!

Finally no more trash from you in this forum!!:p

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Of course, now he's wearing the maglia rosa, Nairito can suck the wheel of any attack he likes.

The problem with a backloaded Giro is that there's little reason being in form for the start of it. If anything, the illness has helped Quintana in this respect as he's now peaking just in time for the big epic mountains, while riders who looked really strong in week 1 (Urán, Evans) are fading, and the stages to come look like they will distance them.

That said, it's still been the best Giro since 2010, and better than any GT in 2013. Nairito may seemingly have it sewn up, but now Movistar are charged with defending Rosa, the strength of their forces on the stages to come could be challenged, probably most likely by Ag2r. I think Nairo will be able to control the race from here on in, he has enough left in the tank and his climbing level is the best in the race, but still, the battle for 2nd and 3rd should be very fun with a lot of contenders quite close to one another, especially with a TT like Monte Grappa to come.

And the thing with Nairito is that he blows the race apart, sometimes not when you expect it too - attacking more than one climb out in the Tour last year, three climbs out when he won the Route du Sud, and even on a descent here, controversy or no controversy, Quintana attacking on a descent is something that people don't necessarily expect. Abarcá are brilliant at opportunism on the big occasion even if they occasionally court controversy with it - they managed to win a Tour with Óscar Pereiro that way, nearly won a Giro with David Arroyo with it, managed to insert Luís León Sánchez into a GC mix he had no business being part of, albeit temporarily, in the 2010 Tour, were a key part of the Froome isolation stage in last year's Tour (although they failed to capitalise on the situation they developed) and the Fuente Dé mugging, and picked up a bunch of stage wins and leader's jerseys in unexpected places with the likes of Kiryienka, Intxausti, Visconti, Lastras and Costa. It isn't surprising that they might try something unusual or push their luck (can't we just imagine them in the car saying "they said that they'd have a red flag, but did they say it was neutralised? Nobody actually specifically said it was neutralised, did they? Nairo, try pushing on and see what the race directors say!"?). And let's face it, Nairito was strong enough and talented enough to make it work, gained a bunch more time on the final climb, and it might have won him a Grand Tour. Can't argue with the end product.

Excellent post as usual Libertine, I agree completely.

TRENDING THREADS