• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
portugal11 said:
we will see a 2009 astana in the 2018 tour, I'm pretty sure of that

To a point. The difference being you've got the stability of Valverde on this Movistar team. Which I'm convinced is why he's going. To keep the rest of the team together when Landa and Quintana end up in a war with each other.
I remember when Valverde was in the break of the last mountain stage of the 2016 Vuelta, Sky kept sending riders up the rode while the Movistar guys in the peloton were panicking. Valverde dropped back, yelled at his team for 30 seconds, and peace was restored.

Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:

To a point. The difference being you've got the stability of Valverde on this Movistar team. Which I'm convinced is why he's going. To keep the rest of the team together when Landa and Quintana end up in a war with each other.
I remember when Valverde was in the break of the last mountain stage of the 2016 Vuelta, Sky kept sending riders up the rode while the Movistar guys in the peloton were panicking. Valverde dropped back, yelled at his team for 30 seconds, and peace was restored.

Yep, and I remember several people saying Movistar has a director actually on the bike racing. This is why he's going to the Tour instead of the Giro/Vuelta double. They need him to keep the team from imploding when Quintana and Landa end up in their war (which seems to be inevitable).

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:

Yep, and I remember several people saying Movistar has a director actually on the bike racing. This is why he's going to the Tour instead of the Giro/Vuelta double. They need him to keep the team from imploding when Quintana and Landa end up in their war (which seems to be inevitable).
there will be no war between landa and quintana because unzue knows how to obtain what he want : Valverde with the podium in 2015 tour is an example of that , Quintana would have won letour if not for Valverde wanting the podium

telencefalus said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:

there will be no war between landa and quintana because unzue knows how to obtain what he want : Valverde with the podium in 2015 tour is an example of that , Quintana would have won letour if not for Valverde wanting the podium

The team it's self wanted that podium for Valverde. They've even said that podium for Valverde was more important than winning the Tour because they owed it to Valverde for everything he's done for them.
I wouldn't be so confident there won't be a war between Landa and Quintana. You're talking about two riders who are the same age with similar goals and personalities that don't seem to mesh well. With Valverde you've got someone who's much older, much more experienced, and from all appearances someone who is very easy to get along with.

telencefalus said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:

It's a myth.
Quintana didn't won that Tour because he didn't had the balls when it mattered!
Valverde didn't hold him back then, nor in any other time in his career.

Blanco said:
telencefalus said:
Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
portugal11 said:

It's a myth.
Quintana didn't won that Tour because he didn't had the balls when it mattered!
Valverde didn't hold him back then, nor in any other time in his career.[/quote]

Agreed, Valverde going after the podium and Movistar wanting that podium for Valverde did not prevent Quintana from attacking at any point.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
i think that if Valverde in 2015 tour was riding ONLY for Quintana the things would have been different , and he was not riding only for quintana we can agree on this

Valverde was definitely stronger in 2016 in the Tour. Still amazing that he got so close to a top 10 in all three Grand Tours. One bad day in the Vuelta is what cost him that.

Valverde's 2015 podium isn't what cost Quintana the win it was Quintana's lack of attacking that cost him any real opportunity to win. That and Movistar's inability to deal with crosswinds.

ice&fire said:
Serpentin said:
Good stage yesterday considering that the climb was short. He will have to gain back some time though against Roglic before or after the time trial.
He will be conservative, or so he said earlier this season.
It never fails to amaze me that Quintana who won buth of his gt's due to a super aggressive attack and lost the only tour where he had a real chance of winning due to being too conservative somehow concludes that his problem is being too aggressive.

Gigs_98 said:
ice&fire said:
Serpentin said:
Good stage yesterday considering that the climb was short. He will have to gain back some time though against Roglic before or after the time trial.
He will be conservative, or so he said earlier this season.
It never fails to amaze me that Quintana who won buth of his gt's due to a super aggressive attack and lost the only tour where he had a real chance of winning due to being too conservative somehow concludes that his problem is being too aggressive.
I don't think it has to do with that. It has to do with last year where he felt he burned himself before the Tour.
In 2016 something happened that nobody can explain. But he feels he needs to get to the Tour fresher. Especially this Tour. An approach like Froome's.
We'll see how it works out.

Re:

Red Rick said:
2017 was just Giro/Tour going badly wrong.

2016 was being too good early. Catalunya+Pais Vasco+Romandie doesn't make sense to me at all. Think he was too good in Route du Sud already.

Re: 2016, let's not forget that he seriously considered doing the Tour de Suisse that year too, which is mind-boggling in retrospect.

One of the most surprising aspects about Quintana the last couple of years is how unsuccessful he and his team have been at maximizing his fitness level for the main goals of the season. This year they're once again experimenting with his approach to the Tour.

AlexNYC said:
Red Rick said:
2017 was just Giro/Tour going badly wrong.

2016 was being too good early. Catalunya+Pais Vasco+Romandie doesn't make sense to me at all. Think he was too good in Route du Sud already.

Re: 2016, let's not forget that he seriously considered doing the Tour de Suisse that year too, which is mind-boggling in retrospect.

One of the most surprising aspects about Quintana the last couple of years is how unsuccessful he and his team have been at maximizing his fitness level for the main goals of the season. This year they're once again experimenting with his approach to the Tour.
Exactly. Unless you're doing a slow buildup, Romandie doesn't make sense at all. They shouldn't have messed too much with the '15 approach. Small peak for Tirreno, then decompress and use Pais Vasco and Romandie for buildup rather than anything else.

Blanco said:
Rollthedice said:
He was spotted a couple of times pulling on the descent while Landani was in the front group. Momentary lapse of reason or deliberate?

A little bit of both ;) Guy just isn't a team player, he can't help it :D

This. Not a team player. He was already yelled at by the team in Catalonia for taking pulls in an attack on Valverde. He's never publicly gotten into arguments with Valverde as he already has with Landa. This race is for Landa as it's his home race.

TRENDING THREADS