• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Nairo Quintana discussion thread

Page 308 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
Escarabajo said:
Koronin. Betancur is not a good example. I don't that is the case. He is still performing good. Sometimes with flashes of greatness. I think he need to change his program. Or at least need to adjust what is not working. There has been some struggles between his team and him trying to get him to Europe more time and this can be the perfect excuse. To me a new team would be good for him. He needs a new scenery. Different points of views.

I do think he needs a new team. The way Movistar operates isn't for everyone and truthfully there are a lot that could never do well the way they run things. Although the same can be said for Sky (who is the opposite end of the spectrum on how they do things). Quintana very well could need more structure than he's ever going to get at Movistar. I remember Dowsett explaining going from Sky to Movistar as at Sky your entire day down to the minute is planned out for you while Movistar is organized chaos. I actually think he and Tejay are both overdue for a change of teams.

I think a team like Michelton would be good for him but unfortunately both Yates have been re-signed.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:
Escarabajo said:
Koronin. Betancur is not a good example. I don't that is the case. He is still performing good. Sometimes with flashes of greatness. I think he need to change his program. Or at least need to adjust what is not working. There has been some struggles between his team and him trying to get him to Europe more time and this can be the perfect excuse. To me a new team would be good for him. He needs a new scenery. Different points of views.

I do think he needs a new team. The way Movistar operates isn't for everyone and truthfully there are a lot that could never do well the way they run things. Although the same can be said for Sky (who is the opposite end of the spectrum on how they do things). Quintana very well could need more structure than he's ever going to get at Movistar. I remember Dowsett explaining going from Sky to Movistar as at Sky your entire day down to the minute is planned out for you while Movistar is organized chaos. I actually think he and Tejay are both overdue for a change of teams.

I think a team like Michelton would be good for him but unfortunately both Yates have been re-signed.

I hadn't heard they had both resigned, although I'm not surprised as they seem to be happy there.

Right now Quintana's problem is that there aren't a whole lot of teams looking for a GC rider for one reason or another. Teams like Quickstep are more classics/sprint teams and most of the teams that are GC teams already have GC riders under contract.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:
Escarabajo said:

From what i understand about Quintana's character he would be a bad fit for Mitchelton - He's far too intense for the team.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
First week of 2015 much, much harder than 2018. He just isnt as good anymore, simple as. Maybe he needs to find a new team.

I'm afraid it's true. He should have been able to keep up on AdH...not that he needed to launch an attack but I expected he would at least finish with the top 5. I didn't see him doing any extraordinary pulls before the climb. So either his training needs to be recalibrated, or he's already peaked.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Something here isn't just right, isn't it? Last year he failed to prepare properly for the double (but who on earth ever has? Except for some alien) but this year he's fresh, hadn't any trouble besides that terrible bad luck on the first stage and on his terrain he's completely blown away by a bunch of heavy guys, with two of them having a really hard Giro behind them.

If that is supposed to be cycling today, I'm out.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Pennino said:
Something here isn't just right, isn't it? Last year he failed to prepare properly for the double (but who on earth ever has? Except for some alien) but this year he's fresh, hadn't any trouble besides that terrible bad luck on the first stage and on his terrain he's completely blown away by a bunch of heavy guys, with two of them having a really hard Giro behind them.

If that is supposed to be cycling today, I'm out.
this is the point cycling is become a joke and it's terrible

He was off by ~4 minutes on Alpe d'Huez with his best time.

He attacks like a turtle and doesn't understand what is going on with his body. His will is very big but his legs has left him.

He needs different guidance.

I don't think the first 9 stages has nothing to do with his problems.

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:

He attacks like a turtle and doesn't understand what is going on with his body. His will is very big but his legs has left him.

he was 3 minutes slower than 2015 and that year he did this time in the last stage after a very difficul tour ,the fact is that nairo is a huge talent with a big will of winning,there is something wrong this is not the real nairo

telencefalus said:
Escarabajo said:

he was 3 minutes slower than 2015 and that year he did this time in the last stage after a very difficul tour ,the fact is that nairo is a huge talent with a big will of winning,there is something wrong this is not the real nairo
I thought his best time was 2013. Oh well.

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Koronin said:
Escarabajo said:

From what i understand about Quintana's character he would be a bad fit for Mitchelton - He's far too intense for the team.

I think if he was sole team leader and had full support he would be okay and he might lighten up a bit at Michelton. Those guys seem to like racing together.

His training needs to change - thats what I can read. 3 mins slower than his previous best is way too much. Either we are all very wrong about his talent or something is really wrong with his health / preparation.

Anyways another year gone at the Tour. Probably his best chance is to race when Froome retires. And plan his GT when Froome is not riding but heck Froome seems to be riding all 3 GTs supposedly.

DFA123 said:
Moviestar said:
Really disappointing from Nairo. The whole season he refers to the Tour as the event where he wants to be at 100%, he even made some unusual changes in his pre-Tour schedule and then he performs like this.. He seems to stagnate in his development for some reason, perhaps better to change teams at the end of the season like Astana. Wouldn't surprise me if this would be his last Tour in Movistar coulours.
Seems right now he just can't cope with the raw power that the 70kg heavyweights can sustain in the mountains these days. None of the lightweights can handle it.
He's climbed Alpe d'Huez far quicker. Its got nothing to do with other people. Either he's ill, prepared incorrectly or indifferent. You don't regress that much from 24/25 to 28.

Re:

saneguy said:
His training needs to change - thats what I can read. 3 mins slower than his previous best is way too much. Either we are all very wrong about his talent or something is really wrong with his health / preparation.

Anyways another year gone at the Tour. Probably his best chance is to race when Froome retires. And plan his GT when Froome is not riding but heck Froome seems to be riding all 3 GTs supposedly.

You only get so many opportunities in sport. The next generation of GC riders is already coming through. I don't think it will get much easier for him to win the Tour.

I don't pay much attention to climbing times up Alpe D'Huez - The stage profiles and weather conditions need to close to the same to make an effective comparison - I suggest yesterday's stage was harder than previous additions which included Alpe D'Huez.

I think at this point Movistar's signing of Landa was telling Quintana they've lost confidence in him.
Yes, you only get so many opportunities. He's currently 28 and not improving. Landa is the same age and is still improving. Also there is a new generation that is coming up and will be ready soon to start challenging for the Tour and other GT titles. Dumoulin is one of those. Movistar it's self has two younger riders whom they are hoping to develop into GC riders (Soler and Carapaz). I think this Tour may have been Quintana's final chance with this team. I'll find it interesting to see rather he's selected for the Vuelta or not this year.

In my opinion he looked relatively good today. He was able to stay with the main GC contenders on the steeper part of the climb without leaving any gaps, but wasn't able to hold the wheel of more powerful riders when it evened out in the end.

TRENDING THREADS