• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championship Discussion/Results

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Last years was a fantastic race where the top Sky riders went head to head without any team loyalties to get into the way.
I dont see what Sky has got to do with how the quality was lowered.

Remind me where I said anything about the qualities of the riders involved in the race.

It made for a better race when the majority of the best British riders were not riding for the same team.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Remind me where I said anything about the qualities of the riders involved in the race.

It made for a better race when the majority of the best British riders were not riding for the same team.

I wsnt reffering to the riders but to the quality of racing.

Did you watch last years race? Because I would be interested to see how you would have wanted it to improve. It was full of attacking by all the riders and then the Sky riders were the strongest and formed break aways with a couple of the other strongest British riders and then the strongest 3 riders broke away and then the strongest rider broke away.
Team allegiances were effectively negated and just seeing all Sky's at the top isnt because they were killing the race for the other riders but because they were the strongest riders. Indeed the DS came up to them and told them each to race their own race and the strongest man should win.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
I wsnt reffering to the riders but to the quality of racing.

Did you watch last years race? Because I would be interested to see how you would have wanted it to improve. It was full of attacking by all the riders and then the Sky riders were the strongest and formed break aways with a couple of the other strongest British riders and then the strongest 3 riders broke away and then the strongest rider broke away.
Team allegiances were effectively negated and just seeing all Sky's at the top isnt because they were killing the race for the other riders but because they were the strongest riders. Indeed the DS came up to them and told them each to race their own race and the strongest man should win.

Did you ever watch any of the races since before 2010? Then you'd see what I'm on about. 2010 or 2011 were not good races.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
The bottom line is that BC have not yet opened their wallets and got the BTTC on closed roads. It should be brought into line with other countries and be midweek this week. As it is it's on a course open to traffic (although v quiet this year at Harby, Leics) and as a result is a much less professional event than it should be.

Thanks for the info; and to ruswilks as well. Not going to pretend to know about the politics of cycling in britain but i cant believe that the National TT champs are on open roads!! Surely you can't guarantee a level playing field depending on traffic etc etc

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
Did you ever watch any of the races since before 2010? Then you'd see what I'm on about. 2010 or 2011 were not good races.

To be fait the womens race from the past few years have been pretty good with armistead v pooley v cooke with laws on the fringe producing quite a high quality race.

I didn't see last years race though 2011 was a bit dull with kennaugh, thomas and stannard in the break and not really racing till the last lap when the 1-2-3 was decided

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
I'd be interested in seeing how Kristian House goes in the British RR. Looks in good nick. I think Team Raleigh have some good riders as well at the moment.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:

froome19 watch cycling before last year, you serious ;)

I like the dutch circuit this year. Hard to pick a winner... maybe terpstra.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
froome19 watch cycling before last year, you serious ;)

I like the dutch circuit this year. Hard to pick a winner... maybe terpstra.

yeah right, I rode the course. It's incredibly hard. Way harder than St Pietersberg when Boogerd won.

It will be one of the climbers. I suspect Rabo will **** up and Poels will win. But it's too hard for Terpstra normally.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
yeah right, I rode the course. It's incredibly hard. Way harder than St Pietersberg when Boogerd won.

It will be one of the climbers. I suspect Rabo will **** up and Poels will win. But it's too hard for Terpstra normally.
Terpstra was arguably the best Dutchman in the Amstel Gold Race ;)

The upside (for Rabo) of a really hard course is that there's more chance the strongest man wins. But you need to have the strongest man on your team, of course.

theyoungest said:
Terpstra was arguably the best Dutchman in the Amstel Gold Race ;)

The upside (for Rabo) of a really hard course is that there's more chance the strongest man wins. But you need to have the strongest man on your team, of course.

i just can't imagine terpstra hanging on duivels bosch (all other climbs are pretty damn though too) when they really go at it.

theyoungest said:
Yeah? Does it live up to the legend? Can Slagter drop everyone there, like he did in the Giro?

well I'm just a tourist rider ofcourse. But I find it damn hard, 4 climbs in 12km and most of them damn steep as well. I rode the dutch champs of maastricht as well and that was far less hard (and even there differences were made).

Just find it hard to imagine that this will be anything less than a massacre. They have to do that lap with 4 climbs so many times... after 2 times I already wanted to go home :D (and did go home)

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
what a decision, do I ride to Kerkrade or Geel on Sunday? the Dutch have the better parcourse (will be a great race between a select few), the Belgians have the better riders and tradition (will be an insane battle between everybody)
does anybody know if NoS or Sproza are rebroadcasting the races later that night?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone post Italian, German and Spanish profile courses and the start lists if available.

Would be nice to have few of bigger NAts profiles and startlist updated in the first post too.

Also how many laps will this Netherland course have :

hoogtekaart_2012.png

Thx in advance ;)

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Andy99 said:
be nice to see an Irish winner for a change ;)

I was reading the news item about matt brammier appealing his omission from the olympic squad with a smirk on my face. Though of course they selected david mccann in his place who is from belfast and seems to chop and change nationality depending on the competition. He represents ireland at the worlds and olympics yet also went to the commonwealths winning a bronze for northern ireland.

I'm not complaining in the slightest though; great to see a local guy competing with the best. I'll never forget his performance at the commonwealths RR were he really animated the pan-flat race sadly ending fourth. The first thing he did after finishing was to shake hands with all three of the others who beat him. Classy guy