• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championships 2013

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
jaylew said:
Does Greipel have the biggest legs in the peloton? Kittel?

Yes he does, but he's nothing compared to his fellow German Robert Forstermann. :D

greipel-and-forste_2294083b.jpg

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
griepel on the left, track rider on the right.
Not sure about kittel, haven't really seen the size of his legs so can't say who's are bigger

nick101 said:
Ciolek second in the german champs??? 1: Did andy race luxemborg champs?
2: I was really happy to see hoogerland and devolder win their national champs. Both have had struggles in recent years so it'd be a massive boost for their self-esteem to get a race win as underdog :D
Slightly surprised cavendish won the british champs because it was apparrently more of a classics style course. But that's a good sign for cav ahead of the tdf and i think he deserved it anyway.
Pretty obvious sagan would win slovakian champs
Vichot won the french champs also btw

1: I think so... since Jungels said something about having actually worked for him.

2: Yeah! Me too! :D I might be reading too much into it but saw a picture which I can't find again of Devolder pointing towards the sky as he crossed the line.
Wouter...?

Dazed and Confused said:
Jungels just appears to be a great rider. Competitive in many races in the season. Flexible in his approach, too bad hes just that little too young to make the Shack tour team this year.

He's got the stigmata of a true champion. I bet that in the next years we'll be discussing the great duels between him and Sagan in the Classics.

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
GB highlights on ITV4 now

Shame about the coverage really. A whole 7 minutes for the woman's road race, & not much more than 20 for then men's. Not entirely sure why ITV4 could have found a spot to show it live in amongst their riveting repeats of The Professionals, Minder & other "classics" from the 70s.

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that the major National Championships are over and the Tour teams are almost all selected, here are the National Champions that will be at the 2013 Tour:

BMC- Philippe Gilbert (Worlds RR), Michael Schär (Switzerland RR)

Cannondale- Maciej Bodnar (Poland ITT), Peter Sagan (Slovakia RR), Brian Vandborg (Denmark RR)

Cofidis- Rein Taaramäe (Estonia RR)

Europcar- Yukiya Arashiro (Japan RR)

FDJ- Arthur Vichot (France RR)

Katusha- Gatis Smukulis (Latvia ITT)

Lotto-Belisol- André Greipel (Germany RR)

Movistar- Jonathan Castroveijo (Spain ITT), Rui Costa (Portugal ITT)

Omega Pharma-Quick Step- Mark Cavendish (Great Britain RR), Sylvain Chavanel (France ITT), Michal Kwiatkowski (Poland RR), Tony Martin (Worlds ITT, Germany ITT), Peter Velits (Slovakia ITT)

Orica-GreenEDGE- Daryl Impey (South Africa ITT)

Sky- Edvald Boasson Hagen (Norway ITT), Kanstantsin Sivtsov (Belarus ITT)

Vacansoleil-DCM- Johnny Hoogerland (Netherlands RR), Lieuwe Westra (Netherlands ITT)

forkboy84 said:
Shame about the coverage really. A whole 7 minutes for the woman's road race, & not much more than 20 for then men's. Not entirely sure why ITV4 could have found a spot to show it live in amongst their riveting repeats of The Professionals, Minder & other "classics" from the 70s.

Much less than 20 for the mens!

Obviously 10 minute highlights are better than nothing but that bloke from Emmerdale spent ages going on about the different courses where just a look at the stage profiles would have done ok. If they are going to spend that much time waffling on about the route and showing lots of the time trials then next year the programme needs to be 90 minutes long.

Pricey_sky said:
Much less than 20 for the mens!

Obviously 10 minute highlights are better than nothing but that bloke from Emmerdale spent ages going on about the different courses where just a look at the stage profiles would have done ok. If they are going to spend that much time waffling on about the route and showing lots of the time trials then next year the programme needs to be 90 minutes long.

I found the coverage pretty disappointing as a Glasgow resident and cycling fan. Mr Listers ride out on the course was ridiculous, he missed out massive sections, including the University Avenue-Byres Road-Great George street section which is the most scenic part and was the site of the decisive attack in the womens race. It was very obvious they weren't bothering to venture out of the "city centre" part of the course. (for those who haven't been, the city centre of Glasgow is very small compared to other major European citys which is why they got away with calling it a city centre route. It wasn't really, Byres road and the surrounding area are called the West End, it's where Glasgow University is and is possibly the nicest part of the city. I would recommend staying there if you come up for the Commonwealth games. It takes me 20 minutes to walk from Byres Road to my work which is very near Montrose street, which is pretty much the two opposite ends of the course).

There were no stationary cameras outside the city centre section either. I walked between Kelvingrove park, Byres road, Gibson street and Park Circus, all with important ramps for the race and great places for cameras and there was nothing.

The length of the coverage was also very disappointing, you go no sense of how the race really developed.

For the record I actually didn't mind Mr Lister presenting and doing the ride-out. He was pretty good at presenting I thought and seems to actually have a genuine interest in the sport. People get into different things at different times so I don't mind that he's fairly new to the sport, I actually quite like it and think it'll help new fans understand what's going on if he asks the right questions, particularly as Ned holds up the more knowledgeable end. He seemed a decent fella too. I was just very disappointed with the coverage of the race and the lack of a decent ride around.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
fanadian said:
Now that the major National Championships are over and the Tour teams are almost all selected, here are the National Champions that will be at the 2013 Tour:

BMC- Philippe Gilbert (Worlds RR), Michael Schär (Switzerland RR)

Cannondale- Maciej Bodnar (Poland ITT), Peter Sagan (Slovakia RR), Brian Vandborg (Denmark RR)

Cofidis- Rein Taaramäe (Estonia RR)

Europcar- Yukiya Arashiro (Japan RR)

FDJ- Arthur Vichot (France RR)

Katusha- Gatis Smukulis (Latvia ITT)

Lotto-Belisol- André Greipel (Germany RR)

Movistar- Jonathan Castroveijo (Spain ITT), Rui Costa (Portugal ITT)

Omega Pharma-Quick Step- Mark Cavendish (Great Britain RR), Sylvain Chavanel (France ITT), Michal Kwiatkowski (Poland RR), Tony Martin (Worlds ITT, Germany ITT), Peter Velits (Slovakia ITT)

Orica-GreenEDGE- Daryl Impey (South Africa ITT)

Sky- Edvald Boasson Hagen (Norway ITT), Kanstantsin Sivtsov (Belarus ITT)

Vacansoleil-DCM- Johnny Hoogerland (Netherlands RR), Lieuwe Westra (Netherlands ITT)

Vandborg won the ITT not the RR.

TRENDING THREADS