National Football League

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
Thoughtforfood said:
Yea, we lost because some idiot called a TO at the end of the 1st half when the time was going to run out before NO could get the field goal off. Dumbest TO in the history of the NFL. Then we didn't call a single TO when NO was driving at the end of the 4th. We could have given ourselves 30 seconds to a minute more if we had called ONE time out...and guess how many TO's we had left over at the end of the game. If you guessed ONE, you win a can of chicken soup.
bright side....sCam dad has a new church.

Also I guess sCam one play "36" just quite did not get it done on sunday.

Panthers found a way to lose or the Saints found a way to win?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Glenn_Wilson said:
bright side....sCam dad has a new church.

Also I guess sCam one play "36" just quite did not get it done on sunday.

Panthers found a way to lose or the Saints found a way to win?
You have obviously not been watching him. He is tearing it up, and I don't care if they call the play "blue balls," he is the real deal. What he did in college stayed in college as far as I am concerned. He certainly didn't lose us the game, the coaching staff found a way to lose AND the Saint's found a way to win (chicken or egg thing). One thing is for sure, when the Saints finished a running play with 2:33 on the clock in our territory and we didn't call a TO and allowed it to run to the 2 minute warning, it was a stupid call. Yea, Rivera was trying to show his defense he believed in them. He was the only in the country who believed NO wouldn't score, and it cost us 30 seconds at least we would have had on our final drive. Then you factor in a 3rd and 2 call on our drive right before that when we went for the long ball instead of running for the 2 (we had been successful running all day), and the TO called at the end of the first half that allowed a FG that didn't have time to happen otherwise, and I'd say that loss was on the shoulders of our coaches.

Cam, he is going to be just fine, and if you are in the NFC South, you are going to hate him for at least 4 more years (6 because you know they will franchise him) and hopefully longer because they will pay him more money than any QB in history has ever gotten if he signs in that first franchise year.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,095
0
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
I feel for you guys. No really. Why? Cuz your not PIT fans :), and being a Hawk fan I understand. But you can borrow my Hawk Block if you'd like. It's a concrete colored foam block shaped like a brick. Keep it by the widescreen TV and is for throwing at the screen when something bad happens. At least Carolina can hold their heads up for making it close. But the sails came off Tampa. I'll say this about the niners... if your team makes mistakes, SF has the ability to make them pay for it. Seattle got drubbed by SF last year in similar fashion. Plus they are getting better and can't be taken lightly.
That's exactly right. I thought there were some BS penalties called but at the end of the day, those two or three wouldn't have made a difference. Josh Freeman is lucky he only threw the two picks, it could easily have been four. Then I think about frustration unsportsmanlike penalties by some 22 year old I've never heard of, and what the crap is with them catching the punt after Ginn called fair catch :mad:. I know they're young, but some of those are just stupid, and the niners took total advantage (don't blame them one bit). In the past two weeks they have nearly 200 penalty yards, maybe a little more; I stopped county after about 96 yesterday.

Next week they play the saints. If they play like they did yesterday, Brees will be on the sideline by halftime sporting a **** eatin grin and sitting on 500 yards passing. In that case, I'll need your Hawk Block, but I'll change the name to bucbloc :p

Thoughtforfood said:
You have obviously not been watching him. He is tearing it up, and I don't care if they call the play "blue balls," he is the real deal. What he did in college stayed in college as far as I am concerned. He certainly didn't lose us the game, the coaching staff found a way to lose AND the Saint's found a way to win (chicken or egg thing).

Cam, he is going to be just fine, and if you are in the NFC South, you are going to hate him for at least 4 more years (6 because you know they will franchise him) and hopefully longer because they will pay him more money than any QB in history has ever gotten if he signs in that first franchise year.
So true. What he did in college has no bearing on his pro career. Being a buc fan, I'm going to both love and hate playing him. He's fun to watch unless he's playing my team. In which case, it'll be fun to watch him playing from his back :p
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
Thoughtforfood said:
You have obviously not been watching him. He is tearing it up, and I don't care if they call the play "blue balls," he is the real deal. What he did in college stayed in college as far as I am concerned. He certainly didn't lose us the game, the coaching staff found a way to lose AND the Saint's found a way to win (chicken or egg thing). One thing is for sure, when the Saints finished a running play with 2:33 on the clock in our territory and we didn't call a TO and allowed it to run to the 2 minute warning, it was a stupid call. Yea, Rivera was trying to show his defense he believed in them. He was the only in the country who believed NO wouldn't score, and it cost us 30 seconds at least we would have had on our final drive. Then you factor in a 3rd and 2 call on our drive right before that when we went for the long ball instead of running for the 2 (we had been successful running all day), and the TO called at the end of the first half that allowed a FG that didn't have time to happen otherwise, and I'd say that loss was on the shoulders of our coaches.

Cam, he is going to be just fine, and if you are in the NFC South, you are going to hate him for at least 4 more years (6 because you know they will franchise him) and hopefully longer because they will pay him more money than any QB in history has ever gotten if he signs in that first franchise year.
No I have not been watching him. According to the stats, he has played well so far. There are a few QB's in that division who are pretty good.

"umm thirty six" "and that’s a play" pretty dumb quotes no doubt. But Brett Farve has already proved you do not have to be smarter than a 5th grader to play NFL QB.

That game yesterday drove me crazy because the Saints defense stunk it up. Let's see how the sCam does at the Dome.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
ImmaculateKadence said:
That's exactly right. I thought there were some BS penalties called but at the end of the day, those two or three wouldn't have made a difference. Josh Freeman is lucky he only threw the two picks, it could easily have been four. Then I think about frustration unsportsmanlike penalties by some 22 year old I've never heard of, and what the crap is with them catching the punt after Ginn called fair catch :mad:. I know they're young, but some of those are just stupid, and the niners took total advantage (don't blame them one bit). In the past two weeks they have nearly 200 penalty yards, maybe a little more; I stopped county after about 96 yesterday.

Next week they play the saints. If they play like they did yesterday, Brees will be on the sideline by halftime sporting a **** eatin grin and sitting on 500 yards passing. In that case, I'll need your Hawk Block, but I'll change the name to bucbloc :p



So true. What he did in college has no bearing on his pro career. Being a buc fan, I'm going to both love and hate playing him. He's fun to watch unless he's playing my team. In which case, it'll be fun to watch him playing from his back :p
I only caught part of the Buc v niner game but what in the HELL happened? It must have fallen apart fast? I was watching the 1st quarter and it looked like with the exception of the 1st series that the Buc's could move the ball on the niners.
 
on3m@n@rmy said:
Seriously? How'd you get a chunk of that junk? I remember seeing the old Kingdome demolition live on a webcast....
After they blew that goddawful place to smitheens and took all the large chunks away, they allowed the public to pick up scraps. My cousin was there, and got a good one, with a bent rusty nail running through it. :)

As to Cam Newton, I can't believe anyone would think he's a scam at this point, or just because of stupid or greedy things his father did. He's played better in every NFL game this year than most of the games in his final year at Auburn, including their championship game win over Oregon. The guy has adapted, studied, and worked is rear off and outperformed every single expectation of him, and completely stood up as the new leader of that team, without question. They may only win 5-6 games this year, but he has a huge upside for several years in this league. Just huge. Opponents can disbelieve at their own peril.
 
+1 on the Cam no-scam at this point. BTW, the rusty nail reminds me of a rusty rebar story... contractors are now using blue-bar (a plastic coated reinforcement bar) as the next generation rebar in high-rise buildings where electrical gounds are typically bonded to the structural steel in concrete (rebar). But that's off topic. Did I say I was ADD? No I'm not ADD.

Reset. It was an interesting Monday night game after the street fighting settled down somewhere around the second quarter. I thought both teams played well, and thought Cutler was impressive with his passing accuracy and improvising. But Stafford played pretty well too, even if he missed a few wide open targets. It was interesting watching the Lion defensive line, and also how the Bears countered their aggressiveness sometimes, but just not often enough.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,095
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
I only caught part of the Buc v niner game but what in the HELL happened? It must have fallen apart fast? I was watching the 1st quarter and it looked like with the exception of the 1st series that the Buc's could move the ball on the niners.
They actually were to begin with. Blount was running people over as usual and Freeman was accurate for the most part but was making some dangerous throws. Two were picked off and one was taken back and the other resulted in a TD a few plays later. The mistakes eventually piled up and the niners took advantage of literally every single one. When they got frustrated, they commited more penalties resulting in niner first downs and big gains. Stupid way to lose.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As to Cam Newton, I can't believe anyone would think he's a scam at this point, or just because of stupid or greedy things his father did. He's played better in every NFL game this year than most of the games in his final year at Auburn, including their championship game win over Oregon. The guy has adapted, studied, and worked is rear off and outperformed every single expectation of him, and completely stood up as the new leader of that team, without question. They may only win 5-6 games this year, but he has a huge upside for several years in this league. Just huge. Opponents can disbelieve at their own peril.
That's where I had doubts. Prior to the season, he couldn't even describe an offense. It was look for the open man, if they were covered, run. Admittedly, that was Auburn's offense last year. Now he's embraced a leadership role and is continuing to learn the offense. I never doubted his skills, just his ability to run an offense.
 
I understand, I questioned how good he'd be too. But now, I have zero doubt. He's still going to have some ups and downs, and the rest of his team is weak. But he's on his way to being a great overall QB, and was a very wise pick for Carolina in the draft.

Meanwhile, Mario Williams is out for at least the regular season with a torn pec muscle, which will really hurt Houston. He was moved from DT to linebacker this year, but had still been playing as a lineman on certain plays to confuse the offense. This is a huge loss for the Texans, just huge.

Tebow has been announced as the starter for Denver in two weeks (they have a bye this week), on the road against Miami (smart if you ask me to start him in this game. Weak Dolphin defense, and Tim's from Florida). If nothing else the guy is highly motivated, and interesting to watch. I really look forward to seeing him play, win, lose, hero or goat.

Red hot San Francisco goes into Detroit, and this should be an interesting game.

Philadelphia goes to Washington, in a do or die game for the Eagles. As well as the Skins are playing, especially on defense, this is going to be very tough for Vick and company, and some game to watch.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
After they blew that goddawful place to smitheens and took all the large chunks away, they allowed the public to pick up scraps. My cousin was there, and got a good one, with a bent rusty nail running through it. :)

As to Cam Newton, I can't believe anyone would think he's a scam at this point, or just because of stupid or greedy things his father did. He's played better in every NFL game this year than most of the games in his final year at Auburn, including their championship game win over Oregon. The guy has adapted, studied, and worked is rear off and outperformed every single expectation of him, and completely stood up as the new leader of that team, without question. They may only win 5-6 games this year, but he has a huge upside for several years in this league. Just huge. Opponents can disbelieve at their own peril.
I wanted to reply before but got tied up with the smoking thread.

His father did not steal another students laptop and get kicked off his team for it.
He is a great NFL player and probably will have a great career. That does not make him some great person etc.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
I understand, I questioned how good he'd be too. But now, I have zero doubt. He's still going to have some ups and downs, and the rest of his team is weak. But he's on his way to being a great overall QB, and was a very wise pick for Carolina in the draft.

Meanwhile, Mario Williams is out for at least the regular season with a torn pec muscle, which will really hurt Houston. He was moved from DT to linebacker this year, but had still been playing as a lineman on certain plays to confuse the offense. This is a huge loss for the Texans, just huge.

Tebow has been announced as the starter for Denver in two weeks (they have a bye this week), on the road against Miami (smart if you ask me to start him in this game. Weak Dolphin defense, and Tim's from Florida). If nothing else the guy is highly motivated, and interesting to watch. I really look forward to seeing him play, win, lose, hero or goat.

Red hot San Francisco goes into Detroit, and this should be an interesting game.

Philadelphia goes to Washington, in a do or die game for the Eagles. As well as the Skins are playing, especially on defense, this is going to be very tough for Vick and company, and some game to watch.
Even with Mario and Andre on the team Houston is still doomed. They have KubiYAK and M. Schuab on the team. = loser's No matter what they find a way to lose a game. Going to the Ravens may get really ugly for them this weekend.
 
Yeah, I think they're going to get thumped. If you look at the Ravens schedule, they have maybe 3 tough games left. At Steelers, Chargers and SF at home. Cincy may be a thorn in the last game of the season. But looking at their schedule, they could end up 13-3.

Anyone hear from Foxy lately? He started this thread and has been MIA of late.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Glenn_Wilson said:
I wanted to reply before but got tied up with the smoking thread.

His father did not steal another students laptop and get kicked off his team for it.
He is a great NFL player and probably will have a great career. That does not make him some great person etc.
If doing something stupid in college makes you a bad person, I am totally screwed. And so are many, many people. Get out of the pulpit preacher and save your condemnation for someone you actually know...or maybe even yourself.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Off the field there is little I like about this Tim tebow and his purity front

but on the field he has game and is fun to watch
 
I agree with that. I could handle Kurt Warner thanking Jesus, but Tebow is very evangelical and judgmental about his faith and that gets tiresome.

However, on the field, and when you think about football as football, he's potentially electrifying and I'm really happy to see him get a shot at playing. Crazy Bill Romanowski was on ESPN tonight talking about him. He agrees he should be playing. Says Tim will never be a John Elway, but he could be the next Rich Gannon, and has a leadership quality and optimism that is infectious that can spread across the whole team.

Speaking of ESPN, they say the Tweeting between Pete Carroll and LeBron James is not just for fun, but has potential, if the NBA season is canceled. LeBron played high school football, and could be a wide receiver in specialty situations. Imagine him running a corner route in the end zone matched up against a 5'10" cornerback. At the very least he'd be a serious decoy.

As to Cam's stupidity in college. I never stole anything, but I did some stupid things as well. When I grew up and became a man, I didn't do that anymore. Cam strikes me as being grown into a man at this point, and unless I see otherwise, I'm going to give him that benefit of the doubt and judge him accordingly.
 
How has your nfl team drafted

How has your team drafted over the last decade or so? Well, Seattle probably has the worst record in the NFL for 1st round draft success stories, or leads the NFL in 1st round draft busts. Seattle just traded Aaron Curry to the Raiders for a 7th rounder in 2013 and a contingent 5th rounder in 2012, confirming that Curry is another one of those great Seattle draft busts.

YEAR...OVERALL SELECTION...NAME, POSITION, COLLEGE
1998...15...Anthony Simmons LB Clemson
1999...22...Lamar King DE Saginaw Valley State
2000...19...Shaun Alexander TB Alabama
2000...22...Chris McIntosh OT Wisconsin
2001...9...Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State
2001...17...Steve Hutchinson OG Michigan
2002...28...Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
2003...11...Marcus Trufant CB Washington State
2004...23...Marcus Tubbs DT Texas
2005...26...Chris Spencer C Mississippi
2006...31...Kelly Jennings CB Miami, FL
2007... No pick — —
2008...28...Lawrence Jackson DE Southern California
2009...4...Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
2010...6...Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
2010...14...Earl Thomas S Texas
2011 25 James Carpenter OG Alabama

4 good picks: Shaun, Hutch, Tru, Thomas
2 picks up in the air: Okung, Carpenter (it's too early to tell)
10 bad picks
16 total picks

CAN ANYBODY'S TEAM OUT THERE BE ANY WORSE??? :mad:
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
Thoughtforfood said:
If doing something stupid in college makes you a bad person, I am totally screwed. And so are many, many people. Get out of the pulpit preacher and save your condemnation for someone you actually know...or maybe even yourself.

I remember this one time while I was at the seminary me and some friends went out and stole all of the pay phones in the dorm halls. We spraypainted them black put our names on them in white and installed them in our rooms. It was a gas. No problem at all.

:D haha me a preacher?

I guess all college students steal laptop's from other students. No worries.

I can have an opinion that he is a bad person that does not make me a preacher.

Hey you're right about the stupid things in college. Me I never went to a college not even to visit because I was busy at the seminary getting my preaching on. :D

Since I am not a Panthers fan I guess that makes us diametrically opposed?

Bringem to da dome ..... ;)
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,770
3
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
How has your team drafted over the last decade or so? Well, Seattle probably has the worst record in the NFL for 1st round draft success stories, or leads the NFL in 1st round draft busts. Seattle just traded Aaron Curry to the Raiders for a 7th rounder in 2013 and a contingent 5th rounder in 2012, confirming that Curry is another one of those great Seattle draft busts.

YEAR...OVERALL SELECTION...NAME, POSITION, COLLEGE
1998...15...Anthony Simmons LB Clemson
1999...22...Lamar King DE Saginaw Valley State
2000...19...Shaun Alexander TB Alabama
2000...22...Chris McIntosh OT Wisconsin
2001...9...Koren Robinson WR North Carolina State
2001...17...Steve Hutchinson OG Michigan
2002...28...Jerramy Stevens TE Washington
2003...11...Marcus Trufant CB Washington State
2004...23...Marcus Tubbs DT Texas
2005...26...Chris Spencer C Mississippi
2006...31...Kelly Jennings CB Miami, FL
2007... No pick — —
2008...28...Lawrence Jackson DE Southern California
2009...4...Aaron Curry LB Wake Forest
2010...6...Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State
2010...14...Earl Thomas S Texas
2011 25 James Carpenter OG Alabama

4 good picks: Shaun, Hutch, Tru, Thomas
2 picks up in the air: Okung, Carpenter (it's too early to tell)
10 bad picks
16 total picks

CAN ANYBODY'S TEAM OUT THERE BE ANY WORSE??? :mad:
TEXANS they do not even have a good coach.
 
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well, Seattle probably has the worst record in the NFL for 1st round draft success stories, or leads the NFL in 1st round draft busts.
I think that's probably fairly par for the course. Though obviously teams like New England, and perhaps Pittsburgh have been wizards in the draft. I'd need to look at the bigger picture. I mean, if you look at 1995-2005 Detroit had probably the worst draft picks ever, period.

Looking at Seattle's list, it seems to me the bigger problem goes back to 2006 when someone there decided it was a great idea to spend the bank on an aging Shaun Alexander, and allowed Steve Hutchinson - who was entering his prime - to leave. Granted Shaun had been great, but even at the time it was highly criticized. They also signed Julian Peterson, when Tatupu was maturing into the leader of the defense. And after paying for Peterson, they could no longer keep some of the DB core, like Herndon, Dyson, Manuel, etc. who helped them get to the Superbowl. The whole thing made no sense, and they have paid for it ever since.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Looking at Seattle's list, it seems to me the bigger problem goes back to 2006 when someone there decided it was a great idea to spend the bank on an aging Shaun Alexander, and allowed Steve Hutchinson - who was entering his prime - to leave.
Yeah, that too. I try not to remember.

NFL WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY:
1. CAR at ATL. Falcons win.
2. IND at CIN. Bengals win. I’ll stick wit the Cats and their tough “D”.
3. JAC at PIT. Steelers win. Zzzzzzzz… Zzzzzz.
4. BUF at NYG. Bills win, but tough battle to predict.
5. SF at DET. Lions win in a close game.
6. STL at GB. Packers win easy, but will be interesting to see what STL can do.
7. PHI at WAS. Skins win. Another tough battle, but I’ll take the home team.
8. CLE at OAK. Raiders win.
9. HOU at BAL. Raves win.
10. NO at TB. Bucs will be fired up after last week’s loss, but missing cannonball Blount will hurt. Saints win.
11. DAL at NE. Pats win.
12. MIN at CHI. Bears win.

MONDAY:
13. MIA at NYJ. Jets win.

BYES: STL, DEN, KC, SD, SEA, TEN
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
on3m@n@rmy said:
Yeah, that too. I try not to remember.

NFL WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY:
1. CAR at ATL. Falcons win.
2. IND at CIN. Bengals win. I’ll stick wit the Cats and their tough “D”.
3. JAC at PIT. Steelers win. Zzzzzzzz… Zzzzzz.
4. BUF at NYG. Bills win, but tough battle to predict.
5. SF at DET. Lions win in a close game.
6. STL at GB. Packers win easy, but will be interesting to see what STL can do.
7. PHI at WAS. Skins win. Another tough battle, but I’ll take the home team.
8. CLE at OAK. Raiders win.
9. HOU at BAL. Raves win.
10. NO at TB. Bucs will be fired up after last week’s loss, but missing cannonball Blount will hurt. Saints win.
11. DAL at NE. Pats win.
12. MIN at CHI. Bears win.

MONDAY:
13. MIA at NYJ. Jets win.

BYES: STL, DEN, KC, SD, SEA, TEN
It would be a bizar round indeed if every home team bar one was to win. On the other hand, I can't really disagree with your selections. I suppose it's even conceivable that the Giants could turn over the Bills so that every home team wins! Wonder if that's ever happened?

edit - it's late - that's my excuse for overlooking the Saints, which makes the rest of what I wrote nonsense.

Never mind....
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
NFL WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY:
1. CAR at ATL. Panthers get over the hump and start the momentum of winning.
2. IND at CIN. Bengals
3. JAC at PIT. Steelers
4. BUF at NYG. Bills win
5. SF at DET. SF wins in a close one.
6. STL at GB. Packers
7. PHI at WAS. Skins win.
8. CLE at OAK. Raiders win.
9. HOU at BAL. Bal win.
10. NO at TB. Saints in a blow-out (sorry man, that is how I see it)
11. DAL at NE. Pats win.
12. MIN at CHI. Bears win.

MONDAY:
13. MIA at NYJ. Jets win.
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,498
0
0
I have gone out on a limb and made straight bets on the Steelers game. The offensive line is so bad that I think even gimmeez are not easy w Big Ben in the backfield. Also I have not made up my mind but I may place some cash on the Jets getting beat again, both New Jersey teams look really poor but the only New York Team is playing lights out great, not Green Bay great but a good effort still.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,095
0
0
NFL WEEK 6 PREDICTIONS:
SUNDAY:
1. CAR at ATL. Carolina is due and the falcons are struggling.
2. IND at CIN. It's a winnable game for Indy; I think they'll take advantage.
3. JAC at PIT. Yawn....
4. BUF at NYG. It's a close one but I like New York.
5. SF at DET. Detroit because they're in detroit
6. STL at GB. Boring...
7. PHI at WAS. It's a divisional game. If every game isn't a must win for Philly, divisional games certainly are.
8. CLE at OAK First game in Oakland since Davis's death, right?
9. HOU at BAL. Another snoozer
10. NO at TB. Without Blount, they won't wear down the defense, but Tanard Jackson might play, the hardest hitting and one of the most physically imposing safeties in the NFL (just ask Dallas Clark and Steve Smith), an absolute ball hawk. That alone will fire them up. Besides that I never pick against them.:D
11. DAL at NE. My only question is how many picks will Romo throw.
12. MIN at CHI. Da bears! as they say in Chicago

MONDAY:
13. MIA at NYJ. Miami is still without a win.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts