• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 154 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
For tonight - I will again let my heart rule my head.

PIT @ BAL

MIA @ BUF – I’ll take a chance with the Fins.
JAX @ WASH – Good to have a “must win” game so early. Not that I expect anything other than disappointment from this season, but losing this one would be hard to bear.
DAL @ TEN – Nah, Cowgirls suck too bad.
ARI @ NYG - Cards should be too good for this sad Giants team.
NE @ MIN – Peterson-less Vikings to go down at home.
NO @ CLE – Saints to bounce right back.
ATL @ CIN – A toss up, I’ll go home.
DET @ CAR – Lions should be too good.
STL @ TB – Almost looks like a home banker.
SEA @ SD – Away banker of the week.
HOU @ OAK – Texans to win two in a row!
NJJ @ GB – Home banker.
KC @ DEN - Another home banker.
CHI @ SF - And another home banker.
PHI @ IND – Luck to shine at home, and I hate the Iggles.

Here are a few picks. Several good games this week.

MIA @ BUF – Buffalo at home, but I like Miami after last week.
DAL @ TEN – Locker looked great last week, and will again this week.
ARI @ NYG - Will be interesting watching if nothing else.
NE @ MIN – Vikings on fire last week, and Pats lost. But...
NO @ CLE – Picking another road team.
ATL @ CIN – I still like the Bengals, but Atlanta is interesting.
DET @ CAR – With Cam back, I'll take the Panthers at home. But Lions looked super last week against inept Giants and Eli.
SEA @ SD – This could be an excellent game, in SD.
NJJ @ GB – Lock of the week (and my Survival pick).
KC @ DEN - Safest Survival pick, if anyone hasn't already picked.
PHI @ IND – Another potentially great game. Indy better overall.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
RG3 carted off in the 1st quarter, possible broken ankle/ligaments? :eek: :mad:

Cousins threw a TD on his second play.

Added - Desean Jackson also out with a shoulder - both will not return.

edit 2 - "Suspected dislocated ankle."

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
I did!

Seriously, whoever I pick, put a bet on.

Still on a score of zero after two rounds, hopeless.

Don´t bet against HFA (unless it´s playoffs and PM is playing. That case you can make some good cash). :D BTW, how is it in the AFL? Also that strong (almost 60% home wins)?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Don´t bet against HFA (unless it´s playoffs and PM is playing. That case you can make some good cash). :D BTW, how is it in the AFL? Also that strong (almost 60% home wins)?

It's a bit different in the AFL, as 8 teams are based in Melbourne and there's only 2* grounds in Melbourne so if those 10 teams are playing each other there's no real HFA for those teams.

*-there is geelong's ground, but they only use that sparingly. there are also games played in Tasmania and the Northern Territory, but the HFA there isn't as much of a factor since teams only play there once or twice a year.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
It's a bit different in the AFL, as 8 teams are based in Melbourne and there's only 2* grounds in Melbourne so if those 10 teams are playing each other there's no real HFA for those teams.

*-there is geelong's ground, but they only use that sparingly. there are also games played in Tasmania and the Northern Territory, but the HFA there isn't as much of a factor since teams only play there once or twice a year.

Thanks a lot. We may discuss it there (in the AFL thread) when it´s time (next season I´ll be full schedule from April on :D)...
In NFL the HFA is big. Even the best of the best defenses have a hard time on opponents fields if the opposing team has a QB under center who can do more than just throw 5 yard slants and backfield dump-offs.

After all the talk of a gross mismatch, the Broncos should have lost to a banged up Chiefs team.

The Saints, a pre-season favorite by many (including me) are 0-2. Hoyer and the Browns look like they are on the up with a solid performance across the board.

Kirk Cousins played light's out for Washington. Very wise of them to not trade him away. I too now wonder when RGIII ends up the starter, especially if Cousins continues at even close to this level.

I absolutely loved watching the way Arizona played. Even with Palmer out and Drew Stanton (remember him? Hadn't played since 2010) getting the call this morning, the Cardinals threw often, and threw big. Great coaching, and playing. They too are now in 1st place. Foxxy, I don't know if you saw any of this game, but you would have loved the way the Cardinals played.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Thanks a lot. We may discuss it there (in the AFL thread) when it´s time (next season I´ll be full schedule from April on :D)...
In NFL the HFA is big. Even the best of the best defenses have a hard time on opponents fields if the opposing team has a QB under center who can do more than just throw 5 yard slants and backfield dump-offs.

I am aware of the importance the HFA can have in the NFL, especially with really loud crowds causing problems with audible and snap counts and alike.

But I still felt that seattle were a a bit of an unstoppable machine.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No, only a "strike". :)

Hopefully Seattle's O-line realizes that's all they have for now...is a strike on the loss column. They all looked like they'd been in the sun too long although Phillip Rivers pulled more than one rabbit out of his hat. That shot in the corner of the end zone while trying to get a grip on the ball batted out of his hand was one in a million.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I like all three of them: under pressure, tight spiraled, on the money vs tight coverage. No junk food, but difficult throws only "3/3-QBs" can make. The first was drilled in with pure arm strength (my favourite), the second layed in on the perfect spot (the one you mentioned he had barely a grip on the ball), and the 3rd McMahon-like-jump-toss on the money. And OFC great catches.

That´s how you beat SEA: Strong armed 3/3 QB on the field, receivers/tight ends that catch difficult passes. Two things that were missing in the PM disaster bowl (well shall not forget the sheer fear the receivers had in that demolition derby too).

And as usual PM had his RS-day, and thus my survival pick worked. :)

And how we rate Eli this week? Just bad (option 2), or ugly (option 3)?

Great article! I agree he should have talked to the media, lest everyone will take pot shots at him, just like this.

But next up for Seattle is Denver, at home. If they ever wanted to send a message bouncing back, here it is. Or they'll be 1-2. And all the talk in Denver now is how they are out for revenge.

Eli was better than last week, their entire offense was more in synch, but he still threw 2 interceptions. But the real story is Arizona. They threw down the field, they threw on 3rd and short, 3rd and long. And it was Drew Stanton who made some key plays. Great coaching by Bruce Arians, who played to win. Granted, the Giants suck, but the Cardinals looked super, even with key players (Palmer, Rucker, Abrams) out.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No problem. There are plenty backs around that can run & cut fast forward. He´s interchangeable as (my estimation) 97% of RBs are.
Waiting for some flak now, because AP did so-and-so many 1.000+ yard seasons, got so-and-so many rushing records, carried his team to the playoffs. But I am ready. :D

Racist much?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
Racist much?

Yes of course. 24/7. I am racist against running backs, and ascetic people, lefthanders who throw right handed, trees that carry fruits other than apples, and rainbows, oh and I forgot everybody that is named Manning (unless they are dogs or chicken)... and people who walk over the street on red lights (but only if they carry coins instead of bank notes in their wallet).

BTW, are you alcoholic? Skip that... You alcoholic much?

@ Alpe: You are a mod. I got banned once in 5 years when I defended myself against less direct personal attacks. I may will called cry baby now: But this one has to be set straight. Sometimes I say something non mainstream I get called racist or whatever out of the blue. I am tired of those political correct people who see ghosts everywhere they look since their heads are brainwashed beyond help.... Whatever, this post of Wilson goes maximum against forum rules: 1.) He didn´t attack the post but the poster. 2.) He implied something I am not. IOW, a lie. 3.) And he personally insulted me. People get banned for way less. Therefore I ask for a ban for this poster. Thanks in advance... If that is not worth a ban, nothing is.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yes of course. 24/7. I am racist against running backs, and ascetic people, lefthanders who throw right handed, trees that carry fruits other than apples, and rainbows, oh and I forgot everybody that is named Manning (unless they are dogs or chicken)... and people who walk over the street on red lights (but only if they carry coins instead of bank notes in their wallet).

BTW, are you alcoholic? Skip that... You alcoholic much?

@ Alpe: You are a mod. I got banned once in 5 years when I defended myself against less direct personal attacks. I may will called cry baby now: But this one has to be set straight. Sometimes I say something non mainstream I get called racist or whatever out of the blue. I am tired of those political correct people who see ghosts everywhere they look since their heads are brainwashed beyond help.... Whatever, this post of Wilson goes maximum against forum rules: 1.) He didn´t attack the post but the poster. 2.) He implied something I am not. IOW, a lie. 3.) And he personally insulted me. People get banned for way less. Therefore I ask for a ban for this poster. Thanks in advance... If that is not worth a ban, nothing is.

Yes I must have been reading something on your post that was not there. I apologize for that.

By the way I don't care if you like the mannings or not. It is not something that I would try to argue about. I tend to agree with you on that subject.

I just read that post to say something it did not. So my apologies.

Nope I don't think I'm an alcoholic. But maybe I am considering my reading and comprehension was so poor when I posted up my reply post.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
....But the real story is Arizona.....

Aw, c'mon Alpe, I may be just a tad biased, but the mega 'fairy tale' story of the week must surely be Kirk Cousins stepping in and leading the Skins to 41 points!!!! while busting the nine game losing streak!?

Surely? :p