• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I am baffled by how bad the Bengals played. We knew New England would come out much more focused than last week, but I didn't expect the Bengals to fall apart like that.

On the flip side to that, the other team from Ohio looked like a completely different team. And just like that, they are 2-2.

As to the Jets, hard to think all this after the team "saved" Rex at the end of last season.

Bruce Arinas is saying the Broncos played dirty. But the Cardinals let the game get away from them once Stanton was done, and the Broncos offense made them pay.

Alex Smith had a real chance to beat his former team, and instead finally made a terrible throw that cost KC the game. But this game still told me that the Chiefs are better than people said, and the 49ers not as good.

That Buffalo win was something to see too. For the Bills defense to carry Jim Schwartz off the field, in Detroit none the less, wow. If that doesn't light a fire underneath the Lions this coming week, nothing will.

Alex Henry was indeed cut by Detroit. I can see missing 1, maybe even 2 long field goals. But all three? Lions kickers are 1 of 9 overall this season. Wow.

The Saints just do not look very good, and their supposedly improved defense continues to struggle. Meanwhile, I can't help but think Mike Glennon is the QB for the Bucs, it's like a completely different team with him under center.

Speaking of Glennon, and his "arm", I never recalled him having a particularly strong or weak arm, other than Foxxy criticizing him. I don't know the raw numbers, but found this full scouting report on him.

Arm strength is certainly sufficient to distribute the ball all over the field, and he can place it between defenders over the middle when his target sits down in zones.

Tends to retreat instead of stepping up...though his arm gives him a chance to get the ball out of bounds or find an open target while still backpedalling. And while he has the arm and tight spiral to threaten defenses with the deep ball, his inconsistent accuracy and reading of coverages keep him from being efficient in the vertical game.

The lean, strong-armed passer performed fairly well in a difficult situation (3,054 yards, 31 touchdowns) when asked to take over for Wolfpack legend Russell Wilson.

They compared him to Joe Flacco, one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
They compared him to Joe Flacco, one of the strongest arms in the NFL.

Good find... or not...

Either way, I trust the official NFL combine numbers: 49 mph... One of the weakest armed QBs out there.

Don´t get confused by last nights game (Edit: to clarify; I mean by juding Glennon). The Saints are going nowhere. No pass defense.
Pre-TB game: 0 Intercetions, 7 TD passes given up, 67% opp Cmp-Pct... and so on..... just ugly. I guess every QB will have a field day against those Saints this year.

As you said: 8-8 max for NO.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
At one point late in the 4th all the early games were one possession games, with three of them tied, which I've never seen before.

I look forward to a particularly depressing night for D.C. sports fans. :eek:

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
At one point late in the 4th all the early games were one possession games, with three of them tied, which I've never seen before.

As a Seattle local I would hope so but we never take anything for granted. This in spite of Russell Wilson's incessant positive personal analysis.
Russell...you're young. Say less now.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:

It´s a HFA game. :) So don´t expect the worst... As the WSH QB can fit balls into tight windows, it should be a somewhat tight game.
A blow-out I´d only expect if WSH goes down big in the 1st Qtr on (random) giveaways...
Even a WSH win is in sight. Given the conservative SEA offense, if WSH finishes the game with a turnover advantage they should prevail. I estimate their winning chance at 40/60

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Good find... or not...

Either way, I trust the official NFL combine numbers: 49 mph... One of the weakest armed QBs out there.

Don´t get confused by last nights game (Edit: to clarify; I mean by juding Glennon). The Saints are going nowhere. No pass defense.
Pre-TB game: 0 Intercetions, 7 TD passes given up, 67% opp Cmp-Pct... and so on..... just ugly. I guess every QB will have a field day against those Saints this year.

As you said: 8-8 max for NO.

At this point in the season after view yesterdays messssss I figure the Saints will be luck to win 6 to 7 games.

They have trouble everywhere.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
At this point in the season after view yesterdays messssss I figure the Saints will be luck to win 6 to 7 games.

They have trouble everywhere.

I thought at least their offense is good? No? Did not see a Saints game this year BTW...

Anyway, that´s what you get when your overly greedy QB takes "50%" of cap money. Your D works one year or another, but it´s mostly crap. Just look at the PM teams...

And that brings me back to my old topic: Even tough the QB is the most important psition, basically your QB is only as good as the talent around you. His impact maybe 20% on offense success (or failure), but not 25 million dollars worth of money year in year out. SEA got lucky their QB "only" made 875.000 up to now... but those days are counted. The day he gets millions thrown at him, SEA will drop back to average. They are doomed. You heard it here first. Remember that! A bold prediction. :D

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
There's a SoCal Pro team that's starting to come together. Looks like McCoy has the boys believing. Injuries are piling up and it doesn't seem to matter. Yes, it was the Jets but give credit to the D. It's pretty hard to shut out an opponent in the league these days.

There's only a small handful of teams in the league nobody wants to play right now and I'll argue that San Diego is one of them.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Chargers never really lost their level since Schott was fired after going 14-2..........
If this mega idiot GM didn´t hire Norv the Smurf, and worse, let his freak show go on even after the NE playoff blunder, the Chargers may have 6 Superbowl appearances between 2006 and now......

I would agree with that, though maybe not 6 SBs. Right now it appears that Rivers is practically carrying the offense and impressively so, but if they can keep going like this, and stay together on defense, look out. I believe they play at Denver in two weeks, that will be interesting.

As to the Saints, they are a mess. On defense they can't rush the QB, and can't cover. On offense, Brees can only take them so far. I'll stick with my 8-8 prediction. They might win a game on the road, or lose one at home though. Carolina will recover and win that division.

As to Glennon, what I have seen in him is an ability to quickly read defenses and make adjustments, faster than normal. Haven't seen any Kurt Warner type throws, no. Though he's played a lot better than the last 2-3 QBs that coaches benched him for.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Anyway, that´s what you get when your overly greedy QB takes "50%" of cap money. Your D works one year or another, but it´s mostly crap. Just look at the PM teams...
Well, he did carry some of those teams, won a SB in Indy, and many more games. But I do agree with you overall.

As I said before, Denver is all in for this season. They paid PM a huge amount of cash, and mortgaged a lot more of it on players like Welker, Talib, Ware and other expensive FA pickups. If they don't win the SB this year, or maybe next, they are headed the way of the Oakland Raiders circa 2005-present.

SEA got lucky their QB "only" made 875.000 up to now... but those days are counted. The day he gets millions thrown at him, SEA will drop back to average.
That is an interesting point. I consider Wilson above average. So, if he stays at this level, and above average salary for a QB is about $4-6m a year, they could be okay. If he gets a Manning-like salary of $15+ million per year (both Peyton and Eli get this), you're right.

I honestly don't know how greedy Wilson is though, he could be like the Mannings or Flaccco and make demands that stress the team. Tom Brady has restructured his contract more than once now to help the Patriots. Will Russell do similar? A lot was made of Tony Romo's contract, but much of it was a big signing bonus against past cap money, and performance bonuses. His base salary isn't very high. There's a lot of ways to structure a contract beyond just big numbers. Though I'm not certain, I do believe both Mannings along with Jay Cutler have the biggest salaries against the cap for their teams. That's probably where you'd find the most "greed" I guess.

Seattle got burned once before. The old GM paid Shaun Alexander an insane amount of money after the Seahawks made it to the SB. After paying Shaun they had no money for all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson to block for him, the holes weren't there, and Shaun quickly degraded (like most RBs). The Seahawks went from SB to average fairly quickly.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
The Chargers never really lost their level since Schott was fired after going 14-2..........
If this mega idiot GM didn´t hire Norv the Smurf, and worse, let his freak show go on even after the NE playoff blunder, the Chargers may have 6 Superbowl appearances between 2006 and now......

I don't disagree. Letting Schott go was asinine. Basically it was a personality conflict between a tested warhorse and what was, at the time, the next GM wonderboy. As it turned out, AJ Smith was all luck and little talent.

I originally thought McCoy may have been another bad-hire although Kyle Orton had career years in Denver with him. Roll of the dice sometimes with head coaches but he seems to have the guys playing well. Look at their running back situation... Obliterated back and O Line and they just plug in new dudes (Oliver) and he rushed 19 times for 114 yards, catches four with a TD.

I could be wrong but even the guys normally riding the pine are selling out and playing 100%. I think that is a top-down thing.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I would agree with that, though maybe not 6 SBs.

Sure, 6 was an extreme number. Just wanted to make the point how Norv the Smurf literally wasted the most talented roster over the late 2000s trou the early 2010s.
I think no less than Rex Ryan came up originally with that 6 SBs. He had hit the nail at least once.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As to the Saints, they are a mess. On defense they can't rush the QB, and can't cover. On offense, Brees can only take them so far. I'll stick with my 8-8 prediction.

Yes, 8-8 sounds good... Just an average team.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As to Glennon, what I have seen in him is an ability to quickly read defenses and make adjustments, faster than normal. Haven't seen any Kurt Warner type throws, no. Though he's played a lot better than the last 2-3 QBs that coaches benched him for.

Certainly true. OTOH, Freeman and the journeyman didn´t really set the world on fire. So it wasn´t that big task to play better or at the same level as them.
Let´s just wait and see what Glennon can do against good pass defenses. I am pretty much sure his numbers will go down to last season level.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, he did carry some of those teams, won a SB in Indy, and many more games. But I do agree with you overall.

The year Indy won, it was actually the D with Sanders getting healthy for post season that carried them. PM had his usual extreme rollercoaster post season.

Alpe d'Huez said:
As I said before, Denver is all in for this season. They paid PM a huge amount of cash, and mortgaged a lot more of it on players like Welker, Talib, Ware and other expensive FA pickups. If they don't win the SB this year, or maybe next, they are headed the way of the Oakland Raiders circa 2005-present.

We´ll see how that thing ends. I made my point as early as possible (after the first offense snap by DEN of the last SB): PM will not win another SB. He is a RS GOAT and playoff choker. No more, no less.
You are right, very likely that DEN ends up as the Raiders did... And the press will blame it on PM´s retirement. So the irony of all this: PM comes out of this looking good, yet he is the reason for the future failure of the Broncos franchise...
And Osweiler will get a lot of flak too. Poor guy. Should have decided for a anonymous OL role. His german name qualifies perfectly. ;)

Alpe d'Huez said:
That is an interesting point. I consider Wilson above average. So, if he stays at this level, and above average salary for a QB is about $4-6m a year, they could be okay. If he gets a Manning-like salary of $15+ million per year (both Peyton and Eli get this), you're right.

No doubt Wilson is very good. But all that QB cap money (I am certain he gets his 15 Mio/year contract) will be missed on other positions and roster depth. The coming doom of SEA is one of the easiest predictions one can make. So Seahawks fans enjoy your ride while you can. It will be over sooner than ya all think. :)

Alpe d'Huez said:
I honestly don't know how greedy Wilson is though, he could be like the Mannings or Flaccco and make demands that stress the team.

Let´s assume Wilson is a good guy. But there is no doubt his agent then will talk long enough to him to spoil his character. I mean there´s millions of über-millions at stake for his agent...

Alpe d'Huez said:
A lot was made of Tony Romo's contract, but much of it was a big signing bonus against past cap money

Isn´t the SB prorated over the contract length? At least it was like that since it started in 1993. A real killer to teams caps for future seasons. Happened so often. You simply can´t trick mathematics.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Seattle got burned once before. The old GM paid Shaun Alexander an insane amount of money after the Seahawks made it to the SB. After paying Shaun they had no money for all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson to block for him, the holes weren't there, and Shaun quickly degraded (like most RBs). The Seahawks went from SB to average fairly quickly.

LOL at this one, OFC fully agree. RBs and their monster contracts and/or mega-trades-for. A receipt for doom. Just in that second it reminds me of the biggest fails in NFL history. Walker doomed the Vikings, Ditka "killed" the Saints with his 7-for-1 draft blunder, Dickerson "killed" the Colts...

OTOH, built a great OL, and even the Timmy Smiths of this world will rush for 200 yards in a SB. No need to throw millions and/or draft picks away.

Scott SoCal said:
I don't disagree. Letting Schott go was asinine. Basically it was a personality conflict between a tested warhorse and what was, at the time, the next GM wonderboy. As it turned out, AJ Smith was all luck and little talent.

To the bolded: Fully agree. In the right positions at the right moment getting lucky with some jackpots...
As it turned out, he is a full blown idiot. I mean to let Schott go was strange. But to replace him with the worst coach in the history of all sports combined and extending his contract after the NE playoff blunder... Oh my, this guy belongs to a psychatric clinic.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Let´s assume Wilson is a good guy. But there is no doubt his agent then will talk long enough to him to spoil his character. I mean there´s millions of über-millions at stake for his agent...

Foxxy-he played like the franchise tonight while the O-line looked like the Big Eaters on vacation. Is he a good guy? Not really sure but he's definitely playing to the camera as the role model. His spoken aspirations include owning a sports team. That takes money and, while the team could afford it; I think they've learned that every player can be hurt, replaced, traded or benched.
The defense kept them in the game and those players are generally less expensive so don't write off the long term yet.

Pretty amazing game by Wilson. I'd be a little worried too about him having to run so much, and the pass protection breaking down so often. But it was also some offensive penalties that really hurt. Harvin had three TD's called back because of penalties, including one beautiful deep pass. Two of those calls were on James Carpenter. One for holding, the other unnecessary roughness. Seattle may still be the best team in the NFL, but their OL has to protect better on longer plays, and not make stupid mistakes. Give Washington credit for adapting as the game went on with a mix of blitzes, but this game was needlessly close late and a better team would have not let Seattle take it away like they did.

I have to say this is one thing I'm liking about the NFL this season. Both Seattle and Denver appear to still be the best teams in the NFL, but both of them have shown warts and flaws and won games they may have lost to better teams. It sure keeps things interesting.

Seattle wasn't happy about some of the calls against them, but I only saw one play worth really complaining about, and that was a no-call when Richard Sherman just about had his helmet ripped off by Pierre Garçon and no flag was thrown.

I also wanted to say I love Seattle's misdirection running game. It reminds me of college or even high school teams that run offenses like the Wing-T, which rely on heavy misdirection and are hard for the defensive front 7 to adjust to.

Oldman said:

Foxxy-he played like the franchise tonight while the O-line looked like the Big Eaters on vacation. Is he a good guy? Not really sure but he's definitely playing to the camera as the role model. His spoken aspirations include owning a sports team. That takes money and, while the team could afford it; I think they've learned that every player can be hurt, replaced, traded or benched.
The defense kept them in the game and those players are generally less expensive so don't write off the long term yet.

Do you think Seattle would let Wilson go if he demands franchise QB money?
http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/quarterback/limit-25/

I would be surprised if he would agree to anything less than Andy Dalton which is 16 mil.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
Do you think Seattle would let Wilson go if he demands franchise QB money?
http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback
http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/quarterback/limit-25/

I would be surprised if he would agree to anything less than Andy Dalton which is 16 mil.

Insane... People throwing balls getting shit on with money, literally...
When the 1st 40 Mio per year deal is announced I quit feeding the monster...
Will completely shift over to AFL with normal contracts that are sellable to hard working humans... and their football isn´t worse. They might lack the forward pass, but are amazingly good in kicking. NFL punters could learn a lot, since I see them shank one for like 28 yards every 3rd time they are just asked to swing their legs*.

* To clarify: No, I don´t mean the "coffin corner" tries. I mean punts that are kicked from their own half and completely lack distance...

Thanks for those links.

We have to keep in mind though that it's really agents that are creating buzz by tossing around those huge contract numbers like Andy Dalton's or Colin Kaepernick's, but there's a lot more fine detail to it than that. You have to look at how much the team is paying out to other players, how much is guaranteed, how long it is, etc. etc.

As to the players being overpaid like some people yell, that I don't buy. I'd rather have the players get the money than it all go to the owners. What I don't like are players that hide behind agents while demanding big money, players that hold out because they don't like the deal they previously signed, or those that sign a deal, then don't perform. You can create a big list of these players.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Thanks for those links.

We have to keep in mind though that it's really agents that are creating buzz by tossing around those huge contract numbers like Andy Dalton's or Colin Kaepernick's, but there's a lot more fine detail to it than that. You have to look at how much the team is paying out to other players, how much is guaranteed, how long it is, etc. etc.

As to the players being overpaid like some people yell, that I don't buy. I'd rather have the players get the money than it all go to the owners. What I don't like are players that hide behind agents while demanding big money, players that hold out because they don't like the deal they previously signed, or those that sign a deal, then don't perform. You can create a big list of these players.

What´s it now? 70% of the income goes to players, right? Which sport does this? And owners look for more options to screw money out of the people (like expensive parking lots, higher ticket prices, insane prices for made in china game shirts and so on) to pay this absurd contracts.
You know I never talk good of the owners. But where would be the players without the owners? Nowhere. Guys like Vince Young or Dana Stubblefield couldn´t hold on their über millions. And those guys wanna tell us they are everything of the NFL? Hell no. Without the owners making the NFL a good product (hate to say this) they would be paid like arena players (400 $ per week)...
It´s grotesque that Aaron Rodgers, a single player, yearly earns almost as much as the net profit of the whole Packers organisation is per year.
I think people should stop believe in the myth the players are the good guys... They are not.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar misses a perfect 15 of 15 with the leg swinger of DET spoiling his party. My condolences... :D

Some Standings after Week 5 (rest follows tomorrow):

Foxxy´s RandomHFA/BigAwFav™-"System" vs...

... The Machine, The Brain, The God of Stats; Brian Burke: 49/73 v 49/73 = +/- 0.0 %
... Alpe: 43/61 v 41/61 = + 3.3 %
... The Vegas oddsmakers: 51/76 v 48/76 = + 3.9 %
... Esh: 39/57 v 36/57 = + 5.3 %
... Leitch: 49/73 v 45/73 = + + 5.5 %
... Amster: 51/76 v 46/76 = + 6.6 %

So far, so good... :)

For Elimination Football® this week:

Miami / Tampa Bay

To add to my list:

NYG / Washington / NYJ / Dallas /Jacksonville / Minnesota / St Louis / Oakland

For Reverse Survival Football™ (Loser Bowl):

Raiders

my current score: 3 (+1 bonus doughnut point)

Teams used: Titans*, Chargers*, Washington, Jacksonville, Jets(0)

For this week.

2 more teams that won't win the superbowl- will go up to the North East. New York Jets and Washington Redskins.

A team that will lose this week, Dallas Cowboys.

To update my picks then.

Elimination Football
Hitch - Jax, Cle, Oak, Stl, Mia, TB Tenn, BuffThis week: NYJ,

Reverse Survival Football™.

Hitch - Jax, Jets, Minn, Tenn, Wash This week: Dal

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Will completely shift over to AFL with normal contracts that are sellable to hard working humans... and their football isn´t worse. They might lack the forward pass, but are amazingly good in kicking..

not bad at catching either foxxxy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioHvpZcb2g

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
* To clarify: No, I don´t mean the "coffin corner" tries...

Could share a few bits of knowledge on those kicks too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3apmIT6QM

but back to the NFL. . . .:D

Must be hard to turn down those big pay cheques, ego must come into it, sure you could live almost anywhere quite easily for $1 million a year, but if you're Aaron Rodgers, are you happy getting $1 million if Matt Schaub is getting $6 million?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What´s it now? 70% of the income goes to players, right?
Where on Earth did you get that number???

At the end of the last CBA the % going to the players was the highest it had ever been, at 57%. Even the NFLPA knew this was unrealistic and were willing to cut down to about 52%. The owners original plan was to cut this down to about 43%. That of course was never seriously considered. An eventual deal was later struck somewhere around 50/50, which seems fair to me. The league is also making more money than ever. So it's a good time for both the owners, and the players. The only people losing out are rookies who are way outperforming their contract (Russell Wilson) young players who get hurt before a chance to sign a veteran contract (NY Giant David Wilson), and the retired vets suffering from physical ailments, such as your buddy Jim McMahon. Though hopefully the rejected settlement will be worked into something more favorable for injured vets.

Sure, lots of greedy players. Lots of greedy owners too. Greedy league in many ways. But the US is a nation obsessed by and driven by an insatiable lust for money - and in many sectors, finance for example - the greed way outpaces anything in sports.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Where on Earth did you get that number???

The 70% is tossed around a lot in this article.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...disagree-on-interpretation-of-revenue-figures
OTOH, there is also a lot of 50%-talk... :confused:

Anyway, I knew I have read about 70% before, the linked article just came up after a quick search.

AFAIR, the "cap history" (in short) was: Players demanded more and more... There was a season when the former owner of the Colts said he had to pay PM off his private pocket since his franchise actually lost money. True or not? Dunno.
What we know is, there were offical docus from the Packers (AFAIR I posted the links here last year), that they only net profit 5 Mio a season (now that´s up to 50), sometimes even lost money... May the new CBA stopped all that...
As players demanded more and more, owners then looked for more extra income (outside of TV deals and normal ticket sales) which they hadn´t to share with the players by rule of the older CBAs... That´s the time everything got out of hand, and the fan had to pay for the greed of both, the players and owners.

Jim McMahon (outside of health issues which he shares with 2/3 of ex players) was more of a lucky guy in the 80s. Even though underpaid (yes those times existed) at roughly 200.000 a year as a upper 1st round pick, he hit the jackpot with commercials. The punk image, the myth, the headbands, and what not... 8 Mio $ he made in 1986 as estimated by "InsideSports" back then...
With the Vikings in 1993, he signed his first ever Mio $ per/year contract, after 10+ seasons in the NFL. The good old times when player salaries were understandable...

Anyway, he is safe, can enjoy his hobbies (unlike the Hilgenbergs and Jimbo Coverts of the era): Beers and Golf. The first hobby I share and understand, the 2nd I never did. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
not bad at catching either foxxxy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioHvpZcb2g

Could share a few bits of knowledge on those kicks too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn3apmIT6QM

but back to the NFL.

Must be hard to turn down those big pay cheques, ego must come into it, sure you could live almost anywhere quite easily for $1 million a year, but if you're Aaron Rodgers, are you happy getting $1 million if Matt Schaub is getting $6 million?

Awesome. And the No 1 is the true No 1 "hanger". Looking forward next season to get my fair share of crazy marks. :)
And that kick... Wow, his first ever goal comes as a curveball. Unbelieveable :eek:
Thanks for the links. :) Both saved.

To Rodgers. Yep, the greed is there in humans. Only social countries can hold it in check, at least a little. Too bad the psycho "leaders" of U.S.A. bomb away those countries bit by bit, all in the name of freedom and democracy :rolleyes: ... Ok, ok, no politics here.

TRENDING THREADS