• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 327 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Both Palmer and Hoyer were ordinary in the 49ers v Cardinals game. Fitzgerald scoring a late TD to seal it in one of his only plays of the game. Both offenses stalled in a pretty dreary game.

The Giants, Niners, Chargers and Browns are still yet to win. I'm sure the Giants would rather not be grouped with those teams ! Only two results surprised me, the Panthers beating the Pats and the Bills beating the Falcons. Wasn't surprised by the Rams beating the Cowboys. So far the Jets are doing much better than expected.

I expected the Cowboys to win, but I wasn't surprised that the Rams won. Gurley had a great game (although the absence of Sean Lee certainly helped).

Dallas now face their nemesis, the Packers with a weakened secondary and Lee will probably be back after the Cowboys' upcoming rest week.

At least the Hitch will be back ;)

Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
movingtarget said:
Both Palmer and Hoyer were ordinary in the 49ers v Cardinals game. Fitzgerald scoring a late TD to seal it in one of his only plays of the game. Both offenses stalled in a pretty dreary game.

The Giants, Niners, Chargers and Browns are still yet to win. I'm sure the Giants would rather not be grouped with those teams ! Only two results surprised me, the Panthers beating the Pats and the Bills beating the Falcons. Wasn't surprised by the Rams beating the Cowboys. So far the Jets are doing much better than expected.

I expected the Cowboys to win, but I wasn't surprised that the Rams won. Gurley had a great game (although the absence of Sean Lee certainly helped).

Dallas now face their nemesis, the Packers with a weakened secondary and Lee will probably be back after the Cowboys' upcoming rest week.

At least the Hitch will be back ;)
I expect Rams will beat Seattle in LA today too. Besides the fact Rams historically have had Seattle's number, Seattle's OL vs Rams DL will cause problems for Wilson & Seattle's offense. Goff's ascendance under new coach McVey does not surprise, because offensive-minded McVey seems to be good at something Pete Carroll is also good at: putting players in situations they are good at (or taking advantage of the skills they are best at). And its not just all about Goff, but also about players around him - such as featuring Tevon Austin in the slot WR position instead of outside. For example, Tevon getting open quickly from the slot makes decisions easier for Goff. This is a change from the former defensive-minded head coach Jeff Fisher.

The Giants season just went from bad to worse. Kansas keeps winning. Cardinals and Steelers got beat up. Could be the last season for Palmer and Ben I think. Browns and 49ers keep finding ways to lose. Rams and Seattle are often close games. Miami and the Bills are hard teams to follow form wise.

Things are imploding on the Texan's defense.

J.J. Watt out for the year with tibial plateau fracture:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20968988/jj-watt-houston-texans-miss-remainder-2017-season-suffering-tibial-plateau-fracture

Whitney Mercilus done for the year with a torn pec (ouch):

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000859026/article/whitney-mercilus-out-for-season-with-torn-pectoral

And earlier in the season Brian Cushing was hit with a 10 game suspension for his *2nd* PED violation:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20695865/brian-cushing-houston-texans-suspended-10-games

on3m@n@rmy said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...raded-to-cardinals-from-saints-for-draft-pick
Low cost, low risk, potential high reward move for Cards who lost RB David Johnson to wrist injury. This will be a much better fit for AP, as Cards will likely make use of his skillset - something former team the 'Aints refused to do (9 carries in 4 games for NO :eek: ).
I was surprised that NO brought him in, and surprised that they didn't do something with him once they had him. AZ will be a better fit.

jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...raded-to-cardinals-from-saints-for-draft-pick
Low cost, low risk, potential high reward move for Cards who lost RB David Johnson to wrist injury. This will be a much better fit for AP, as Cards will likely make use of his skillset - something former team the 'Aints refused to do (9 carries in 4 games for NO :eek: ).
I was surprised that NO brought him in, and surprised that they didn't do something with him once they had him. AZ will be a better fit.

I agree in that he will be a better fit at the Cardinals but most pundits also agree he isn't the player he was and maybe the Saints coach wasn't seeing enough from him to give him more carries also maybe injury concerns. As a team the Cardinals seem to be struggling a bit at the moment. 2015 seems a long time ago and it will take more than Peterson to turn it around.

Potential trade talk:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2736663-nfl-1000-teams-who-most-need-to-make-a-trade

The 2017 NFL trade deadline comes on October 31 at 4:00 p.m. EST. Before then, the article above makes a few suggestions for teams that are out of the playoff picture, and gives more competitive teams a player that might put them over the top. See the link. Summary with my thoughts in parenthesis...

1-49ers: Trade for Colts QB Andrew Luck (good move for 9ers, but Colts not likely to give up the franchise QB as infrequent as they come around).
2-Seahawks: Trade for Browns LT Joe Thomas (SEA OL needs bigtime help, but need more than 1, and 10-year vet Joe is prolly viewed by SEA as too old for what they’d have to give up)
3-Packers: Trade for Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham (maybe a 3-team trade involving Browns’ Joe Thomas?)
4-Jaguars: Trade for Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo (NOT. Pats, having dumped QB Jacoby Brissett not likely to let go of Garoppolo)
5-Bears: Trade for Raiders WR Amari Cooper
6-Patriots: Trade for Dolphins WR Jarvis Landry (pundits saying Brady is getting hit more because he's holding the ball longer because his usual go-to guys that always get open (Edelman and Gronk) are out. I don't think bringing in another WR from outside will help that much.)
7-Texans: Trade for Colts OLB Jabaal Sheard
8-Lions: Trade for Bengals RB Jeremy Hill

What QB would you take based on 2017 so far this year? I would take:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith
The order of the list is not a rank.

Watson also popped into my head because he is so dynamic plus I think that he is going to to keep improving.

Mike and Mike and Stu brought up the question and those were the four (five) who popped into my mind.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith

Watson also popped into my head because he is so dynamic plus I think that he is going to to keep improving.

Mike and Mike and Stu brought up the question and those were the four (five) who popped into my mind.
Or Dak Prescott? If asking the question at the end of last season, Dak's name probably would have popped up. But now I think he is not the hottest QB topic. But first, who would I take for what purpose? Fantasy leagues? For this season alone? Or to build a team around for the future? I do not participate or am involved in any fantasy league, so my two separate reality answers would have to be now (current season) and building for the future.

For the current season, Rogers or Smith would be my picks in that order. Rogers stuns me with all the things he is able to do with so little. As to Smith, so far so good right? But historically his record in fair weather is pretty good, but not nearly as good in foul weather. So with Smith I'm a little hesitant, and will have to just wait and see how the season plays out for him as the weather changes. I'd like to consider Wentz for the current season, but after watching that game last night, Wentz made one crucial read mistake late in the game that could have cost the Eagles the game but didn't thanks to the defense. Rogers (and probably Ryan and Smith) would not have made that mistake, likely would have gotten the first down, and then been able to run out the clock as Carolina had no more time outs left. In the post game interview, Wentz confessed to the mistake, which he probably will not make again.

For building for the future, I like Wentz, and nobody else, from that list. The others, while ahead of Wentz at the moment, are just old enough that I'd rather have the younger guy who is doing well and with a lot of upside.

As for last night's PHIL-CAR game, Cam had 3 INTs. So, where was Superman then Cam? :rolleyes:
crop_exact_Eagles_Win.jpg

As for last night's commentary by Romo, it was the first time I've ever listened to Romo's voice. I joined the game late so missed all the preliminary stuff where I might actually have seen him. So I'm listening to this odd (or unfamiliar) sounding voice wondering "Who is that? Guy knows his stuff." Only to find out later it was Romo. Upthread someone mentioned being impressed with Romo's commentating. I am as well. Thumbs up to Romo.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith

Or Dak Prescott? If asking the question at the end of last season, Dak's name probably would have popped up. But now I think he is not the hottest QB topic. But first, who would I take for what purpose? Fantasy leagues? For this season alone? Or to build a team around for the future? I do not participate or am involved in any fantasy league, so my two separate reality answers would have to be now (current season) and building for the future.

For the current season, Rogers or Smith would be my picks in that order. Rogers stuns me with all the things he is able to do with so little. As to Smith, so far so good right? But historically his record in fair weather is pretty good, but not nearly as good in foul weather. So with Smith I'm a little hesitant, and will have to just wait and see how the season plays out for him as the weather changes. I'd like to consider Wentz for the current season, but after watching that game last night, Wentz made one crucial read mistake late in the game that could have cost the Eagles the game but didn't thanks to the defense. Rogers (and probably Ryan and Smith) would not have made that mistake, likely would have gotten the first down, and then been able to run out the clock as Carolina had no more time outs left. In the post game interview, Wentz confessed to the mistake, which he probably will not make again.

For building for the future, I like Wentz, and nobody else, from that list. The others, while ahead of Wentz at the moment, are just old enough that I'd rather have the younger guy who is doing well and with a lot of upside.
I started with: "What QB would you take based on 2017 so far this year? I would take:" to narrow it down. Fantasy football....don't get me started. For the future I would add Prescott because I think that he is going to have a lot of good years to come. Really he has been solid this year, he just didn't enter my thoughts for QB of the year so far in '17. Goff is going to have a solid carrier as are Mariota, and Winston. Honestly, Kizer might be a good QB in the future, but its hard to evaluate him because CLE is so poor.

on3m@n@rmy said:
As for last night's PHIL-CAR game, Cam had 3 INTs. So, where was Superman then Cam? :rolleyes:
crop_exact_Eagles_Win.jpg

As for last night's commentary by Romo, it was the first time I've ever listened to Romo's voice. I joined the game late so missed all the preliminary stuff where I might actually have seen him. So I'm listening to this odd (or unfamiliar) sounding voice wondering "Who is that? Guy knows his stuff." Only to find out later it was Romo. Upthread someone mentioned being impressed with Romo's commentating. I am as well. Thumbs up to Romo.
Romo is a great talking head. I love how several times per game he calls the play before it happens. Plus he doesn't just talk to fill space (except for the occasional joke). I figured that he would be good, but he made the transition quickly.

Brady would also make a great talking head. His radio stuff is good!

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith

i wish the 49ers had taken Wentz in last year's draft. Hoyer is enough to give most fans a headache. 49ers released Bowman. The end of an era, most of their old team is now gone except for Joe Staley. It seems Bowman had issues with the new coach and defensive scheme. They tried to trade him but Bowman asked for the release. Not the player he was but should be picked up by someone.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith

i wish the 49ers had taken Wentz in last year's draft. Hoyer is enough to give most fans a headache. 49ers released Bowman. The end of an era, most of their old team is now gone except for Joe Staley. It seems Bowman had issues with the new coach and defensive scheme. They tried to trade him but Bowman asked for the release. Not the player he was but should be picked up by someone.
I was surprised by Bowman's release, but maybe should not have since I've not been watching them to know how well Bowman was doing. Feel sorry for him cuz his downfall started with that awful knee injury a few years ago.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Rogers
Wentz
Ryan
Smith

I was surprised by Bowman's release, but maybe should not have since I've not been watching them to know how well Bowman was doing. Feel sorry for him cuz his downfall started with that awful knee injury a few years ago.

Yeah age and a few bad injuries. He has slowed but still a handy player. Washington been affected by injuries this week. Could the 49ers do the unthinkable and win a game ?

HWMNBN has filed a grievance against NFL owners, claiming collusion that violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This could be really interesting. It will be very hard to prove, unless some secret emails emerge...?

Two more starting QBs have gone down with injuries, Rodgers and Winston, so there could be some more backup openings.

In other NFL news, halftime stats at Arrowhead:

Total Yards: Pitt 232, KC 6
First Downs: Pitt 16, KC 1

They look like typos, but really aren't.

And are the 49ers the best 0-6 team in history? They've lost five games in a row by 3 points or less. They really could be 5-1 with some reasonable breaks, certainly 3-3.

Latest posts