• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 551 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is a rumor that MIA is looking to acquire TB12! That would explain them packing the WR room.

The guy (Arnold) who put the word out was the first one to (publicly) predict that TB12 was leaving NE for TB.
I think some of it is stemming from the rumors that he wanted partial ownership in MIA after the “retirement”. Plus the rumors that it was indeed Brady the Ross wanted when he was leaving NE. Trying to get traded aside, I don’t think there is any reason he’d go after campaigning for players and free agents to go to Tampa. Unless that’s him trying to say, “hey look at all this players I brought you, let me go to MIA. Come on Gronk let’s go.” I think it’d take Tua and some picks to go to TB for him.

As a Dolphins fan I’d love for him to go to the team, especially with what they have now. Heck try bringing Landry back as well. I wonder how telling it is that Gronk hasn’t resigned with Tampa and doing the “retirement maybe talk”. But imagine him leaving for the AFC and making it bigger quarterback wise while leaving Rodgers and Stafford in the NFC.

I think some of it is stemming from the rumors that he wanted partial ownership in MIA after the “retirement”. Plus the rumors that it was indeed Brady the Ross wanted when he was leaving NE. Trying to get traded aside, I don’t think there is any reason he’d go after campaigning for players and free agents to go to Tampa. Unless that’s him trying to say, “hey look at all this players I brought you, let me go to MIA. Come on Gronk let’s go.” I think it’d take Tua and some picks to go to TB for him.

As a Dolphins fan I’d love for him to go to the team, especially with what they have now. Heck try bringing Landry back as well. I wonder how telling it is that Gronk hasn’t resigned with Tampa and doing the “retirement maybe talk”. But imagine him leaving for the AFC and making it bigger quarterback wise while leaving Rodgers and Stafford in the NFC.
That strategy makes sense and, after watching Russell Wilson's well publisized ambition to be in upper management and ownership it signals a trend with some serious GOAT players. Derrick Jeter and others showed getting a piece is the best payoff. Between Tom and Geisele they have enough net$ to be convincing partners, too.
The influence of gambling money and fantasy leagues is another angle that may contribute to these possible ownership scenarios based on celebrity marketing or other non-NFL elements. I'm not tuned into sports marketing but the dynamic is changing.

Sorry if someone already posted this, but KC replaced Hill with MVS (Valdes-Scantling). Not the same WR, but he can be a good target for Mahomes.
Chiefs concern should be trying to sustain long drives especially with Hill gone. Defenses don’t have to worry about his insane speed anymore. When the Chiefs tried sustaining drives, that’s when the majority of their turnovers and mistakes happen. Mahomes also might find that the scrambling around and playing backyard football won’t work without Hill’s speed allowing him or Kelce open. Chiefs need to knock teams out of the 2 high safety but the only issue now is no real deep threat to punish them. It will definitely be interesting seeing how they progress next year but as of now I put the others in the division ahead of them, especially with how inconsistent the offense was.

...Between Tom and Geisele they have enough net$ to be convincing partners, too... I'm not tuned into sports marketing but the dynamic is changing.
Excellent post. Agree with all you wrote.

If it weren't for Mahomes (and Reid), I'd say this off-season has me thinking the Chiefs will be fighting now to make the playoffs. They will still be quite good because of those two, and I think Mahomes is at this point the best QB in the NFL, but they are definitely not a lock to win that tough division. If you look at them now, they have mostly what one would call possession receivers. Guys good at getting open 10 yards off the line. JJSS, Gordan, etc. Curious what they look to in this draft, which is heavy with quality receivers (and heavy on edge DE/LB's at the top).

Don't see Brady going anywhere but TB, and I think this really is his last year.

As a Raiders fan, I'm looking forward to see how Chandler Jones and Max Crosby play together. Arguably the best pass rushing duo in the league.

Reactions: jmdirt
Dolphins and Raiders should be improved with their signings. The talk of a 5 year dynasty for the Chiefs was always a big call and the same could go for the Rams even if the Rams look the more stable squad at the moment. But Rodgers will be glad he stayed with the the NFC even if I don't see them making the SB once again. Will GB draft a WR with their first draft pick ?

Excellent post. Agree with all you wrote.

If it weren't for Mahomes (and Reid), I'd say this off-season has me thinking the Chiefs will be fighting now to make the playoffs. They will still be quite good because of those two, and I think Mahomes is at this point the best QB in the NFL, but they are definitely not a lock to win that tough division. If you look at them now, they have mostly what one would call possession receivers. Guys good at getting open 10 yards off the line. JJSS, Gordan, etc. Curious what they look to in this draft, which is heavy with quality receivers (and heavy on edge DE/LB's at the top).

Don't see Brady going anywhere but TB, and I think this really is his last year.

As a Raiders fan, I'm looking forward to see how Chandler Jones and Max Crosby play together. Arguably the best pass rushing duo in the league.
This could be GEAT! LAR had this type of situation with Miller and Donald.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Probably his worst season last season as far as errors and poor decisions go........
I mean, the fundamentals has always been there for this season to happen to them. He would get out from his amazing physical ability and Kelce and Hill’s ability. The turnovers he had were there for the picking previously, they just actually started getting intercepted. I feel like it came to, oh my gosh my physical ability isn’t working anymore what do I do.

Yes. Let me clarify. To me Tom Brady is the best player in the NFL and will likely be until he finally does retire. He may not physically have what Mahomes or Josh Allen has, not even close, but his leadership, decision making ability, is the best in NFL history, and that won't go away even if he slips. Let's remember that Peyton Manning won a SB at the end of his career, post neck spinal surgery, when his arm strength was shot. Same thing here, and Tom is healthier and can still throw.

Mahomes is barely 26 years old. I agree last year he ran into a similar issue Aaron Rodgers has when teams adapted, he couldn't adapt as fast, or got flustered or struggled at key moments. Still, there was that Buffalo playoff game, and with his arm talent, ability to see the field, move as needed, at his age if there was an NFL re-draft, he'd be my first pick. Him or Allen. Burrow not far behind.

Out of curiosity, I was looking at young QB talent today (add Lamar, Herbert, even Watson and Murray) if we go back twenty years here were the best young QB's (<26):

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Aaron Brooks
Chad Pennington
Michael Vick
Duante Culpepper
Drew Brees (not great yet, with Chargers).

30 years ago?

Brett Favre
Troy Aikman
Neil O'Donnell
Browning Nagle
Rodney Peete
Todd Marinovich

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

Then Rich Eisen brought up an idea (that I forget if someone voiced previously) of the team that won the first half coin toss gets to choose in OT if they receive the ball or defer.
For the teams who don't want more plays, its simple: if your game ends in a tie, it ends in a tie, if its the playoffs, you're eliminated. There ya go, no 'extra' plays.

Honestly, I just don't understand why any team likes the current rule.

Reactions: movingtarget

Each team gets a possession in the postseason with no changes to regular season.

So sounds like:
Team A scored field goal
Team B touchdown
B wins

Team A scores touchdown but get 6/7 points
Team B scores touchdown but gets 7/8 points
Team B wins

If the teams score a touchdown I could see more 2 pt conversions taking place for both sides to put pressure on the other team to convert to make a 2 pt as well or to go for a 2 pt to stop the other team from just needing a field goal.

For the teams who don't want more plays, its simple: if your game ends in a tie, it ends in a tie, if its the playoffs, you're eliminated. There ya go, no 'extra' plays.

Honestly, I just don't understand why any team likes the current rule.
Old owners stuck in their ways unless it affects them.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

Each team gets a possession in the postseason with no changes to regular season.

So sounds like:
Team A scored field goal
Team B touchdown
B wins

Team A scores touchdown but get 6/7 points
Team B scores touchdown but gets 7/8 points
Team B wins

If the teams score a touchdown I could see more 2 pt conversions taking place for both sides to put pressure on the other team to convert to make a 2 pt as well or to go for a 2 pt to stop the other team from just needing a field goal.

Old owners stuck in their ways unless it affects them.
It's about time they changed the playoff OT rules - this is the way it should have been from the get-go. The NFL is slow in adapting to changes - you've got to wonder who's running the show over there. FBS has the best OT procedure in football - I would have liked to see the NFL utilize a similar format. But this at least much better than the previous playoff OT rules - there's hope for the league afterall. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
It's about time they changed the playoff OT rules - this is the way it should have been from the get-go. The NFL is slow in adapting to changes - you've got to wonder who's running the show over there. FBS has the best OT procedure in football - I would have liked to see the NFL utilize a similar format. But this at least much better than the previous playoff OT rules - there's hope for the league afterall. Lol.

I agree with this assessment. The regular season play-off rules can stay. I don't think anyone has really complained about those.

I agree with this assessment. The regular season play-off rules can stay. I don't think anyone has really complained about those.
Except when their team loses or Brady/Pats win from it :sweatsmile:

Maybe for a more final feeling they could do both teams have 2 minutes each drive. Since I could see a team even more trying to kill all the 10 mins or however long overtime is to stop the other team from having time. I think that will also be more prevalent. Then 5 years from now people will be complaining that team A took almost all the clock down leaving no time for Team B.

If this is true, imagine having a defensive and special teams coordinator have a major role in your offense.

Also another thought is how many people/fans would be asking for a change if Falcons, Chiefs, and Bills had won the toss instead of 2x Patriots and Chiefs. The vast majority would have been fine with it and saying defense is part of the game and to get a stop.
I can't speak for 'the vast majority', but I absolutely hate the current overtime rule(s). It doesn't matter what team wins or loses the coin toss, its a stupid way to end a professional game, IMO.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1509332401272459264?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

What is this off season.

I can't speak for 'the vast majority', but I absolutely hate the current overtime rule(s). It doesn't matter what team wins or loses the coin toss, its a stupid way to end a professional game, IMO.
Yes and have maintained it along with others. But I wonder how much steam it would have accumulated to this point if those things, specifically NE winning were reversed.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I can't believe people are willing to just move on to football for Watson. There are 22+ women out there that have claims against him, some who are not going to settle according to their own words. It should not be about is contract or football right now.

Anyone who listens to the tape on deposition of Watson has to realize a few things.
The guy is really not smart at all. He is a very poor decision maker.
He has serious issues with perceptions of right and wrong when it comes to contact with women.

I feel sorry for the women and that their story's are getting lost in the Football.