• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 552 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can't believe people are willing to just move on to football for Watson. There are 22+ women out there that have claims against him, some who are not going to settle according to their own words. It should not be about is contract or football right now.

Anyone who listens to the tape on deposition of Watson has to realize a few things.
The guy is really not smart at all. He is a very poor decision maker.
He has serious issues with perceptions of right and wrong when it comes to contact with women.

I feel sorry for the women and that their story's are getting lost in the Football.
Think the Browns are holding onto Mayfield for obvious reasons.............Watson's future availability is as clear as mud at the moment

I don’t think he wouldn’t have done it without a confident in a new HC like Todd Bowles, though I think a certain 44 year old QB had something to do with it.
Who the heck knows. If he ever wrote a book and spilled everything I’m sure it would be a best seller. But I can’t really blame Brady if true. BA is a fly by your pants, players coach that sometimes has the team undisciplined and unprepared while wanting the big offensive and defensive plays. No risk it no biscuit on both sides of the ball. That is definitely a huge shift in coaching direction.

but we get another minority coach so that’s a plus. With the new Rooney Rule it sounds even more insulting honestly with having to interview at least one minority for a offensive coaching position as well as the current rule and that’s any minority; women, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc.

Props to the NFL for changing OT rules for the playoffs. Each offense gets at least one possession. It has been mentioned that the playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills with Allen standing on the sidelines when the game was over was a key factor. Mahomes supported the rule change.

I've mentioned before this was not the first time this has happened to a marquee QB and team.

Reactions: jmdirt
Props to the NFL for changing OT rules for the playoffs. Each offense gets at least one possession. It has been mentioned that the playoff game between the Chiefs and Bills with Allen standing on the sidelines when the game was over was a key factor. Mahomes supported the rule change.

I've mentioned before this was not the first time this has happened to a marquee QB and team.
Wait till team A kills all of the time not leaving a lot for B or team A and B both score touchdowns and A gets a field goal.

I think it’s good that teams can end it with a 2 pt conversion basically and I’m sure all of the teams would go for it, especially the one that received the ball first. I wonder if they’ll practice more during the regular session going for 2 when up by a lot to have real in game time doing it.

I think it’s good that teams can end it with a 2 pt conversion.
I like it too. The 2 pt. conversion has a 43% chance of success. If you try, and fail, and the other team gets a TD, all they have to do is kick the extra point, which jumps to 93% success. But if you score the TD, and don't get the extra point, but can still keep them out of the end zone, you win. So this involves some strategic thinking.

Reactions: jmdirt
I'm starting to sense we may seen an emotional reaction from teams in the league regarding QB's in the draft. I haven't paid that close of attention, but Kenny Pickett seems like the only logical first round pick, and someone who is likely going to need to sit between 3 games and late season before being ready, or teams run the risk of him being completely overwhelmed. But there's so much talk lately about Malik Willis and Matt Corral "exciting" teams that they may go in R1 as well.

Let me just put it this way. How good of a year did Zach Wilson have? He was taken second in last year's draft. How about Sam Darnold (3rd)? Mitch Trubisky (2nd)? Carson Wentz (2nd)? Blake Bortles (3rd)? Granted, several of those players went to weak teams (two to the Jets). But even expected quality QB's are hit and miss. Jared Goff taken 1st overall. Same with Baker. Same with Winston. Those three have been...good. Right?

This year looks worse than the years all those guys were taken. Slightly better than 2013 when EJ Manual went 15th, and Geno Smith fell to the 2nd round. There's no sound reason Pickett, Willis and Corral should all go in R1. Not with the depth of edge rushers, WR's and OL this year.

If I were a team picking after maybe the top 5, I'd stick with Belicheck's primary strategy: Best player available. Let things work their way through from there.

I should note I purposefully left Lawerence off. Too early, last year JAX was a dumpster fire.

I'll forever argue if Andrew Luck could have stayed healthy the Colts may have been deep in the playoffs year after year. People had no idea just how wrecked his body was until he retired. Probably the same with RG3. Once his knee went out at the end of that amazing rookie season, his career was never going to be the same. He simply had to play the way he did, maybe slowly more in the pocket as the years went by. But there was no time for that. That knee injury was for all intents and purposes, career ending.

I'll pull together two responses in one to aple and movingtarget:

Jameis has been so close to being a top QB multiple times. He's in that gap between great and average, which is a tiny massive gap.

2019 was a great year: 5,000+ yards, 30+ TDs...but 30+ ints as well. His first two years in the league weren't that bad for a youngster if I remember correctly. He looked pretty good last year until he got hurt. IMO, he could be a top 10, even top 5 QB in the league with just a few 'fixes'.

Reactions: movingtarget
I should note I purposefully left Lawerence off. Too early, last year JAX was a dumpster fire.

I'll forever argue if Andrew Luck could have stayed healthy the Colts may have been deep in the playoffs year after year. People had no idea just how wrecked his body was until he retired. Probably the same with RG3. Once his knee went out at the end of that amazing rookie season, his career was never going to be the same. He simply had to play the way he did, maybe slowly more in the pocket as the years went by. But there was no time for that. That knee injury was for all intents and purposes, career ending.
I agree on Winston's knee injury. His early promise matches Kyler Murray and other super-mobile QBs and the severity of Jameis' injury is still the Coaches fault IMO. Neither he nor Kyler aren't the big dudes that can take hit after hit while standing in the pocket and their game will go with the legs. Mahomes has seemingly been more aware of the risks and his team's performance has reflected the need to adjust. Tough job and you need to be built for it.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez

Yeah for Luck the Colts took too long to give him an Oline, same with Romo. But Luck would be like Big Ben and try trucking the defenders and showing him who’s boss. Luck and RG3 had a lot of potential.

For Lawrence it stinks he’s on Jacksonville. Quarterbacks especially, it can be career ending being drafted by a bad team vs other positions with so much on the quarterback getting the blame for losing.

Yeah for Luck the Colts took too long to give him an Oline, same with Romo. But Luck would be like Big Ben and try trucking the defenders and showing him who’s boss. Luck and RG3 had a lot of potential.

For Lawrence it stinks he’s on Jacksonville. Quarterbacks especially, it can be career ending being drafted by a bad team vs other positions with so much on the quarterback getting the blame for losing.
He can hope for a Troy Aikman type career, but JAX doesn't seem to build like DAL of old.

I agree on Winston's knee injury...Mahomes has seemingly been more aware of the risks and his team's performance has reflected the need to adjust. Tough job and you need to be built for it.
Robert Griffin III. But it's all good.

I liken Mahomes more to the movement of Tony Romo. Able to keep plays alive with his feet, usually within the pocket or a moving pocket, more than taking off and running fleet of foot. But his ability to avoid hits is one he seems very aware of, and one of the reasons I think he's the best QB in the league.
[Lawerence] can hope for a Troy Aikman type career, but JAX doesn't seem to build like DAL of old.
Hahahahhaa! Not even close! That OL was maybe the best in NFL history, plus he had Emmit Smith, maybe the most durable RB ever. I question whether Troy really belongs in the HOF (his stats really aren't that great), but he was a leader, and didn't make mistakes when it was crunch time, and he won when it mattered.

Robert Griffin III. But it's all good.

I liken Mahomes more to the movement of Tony Romo. Able to keep plays alive with his feet, usually within the pocket or a moving pocket, more than taking off and running fleet of foot. But his ability to avoid hits is one he seems very aware of, and one of the reasons I think he's the best QB in the league.

Hahahahhaa! Not even close! That OL was maybe the best in NFL history, plus he had Emmit Smith, maybe the most durable RB ever. I question whether Troy really belongs in the HOF (his stats really aren't that great), but he was a leader, and didn't make mistakes when it was crunch time, and he won when it mattered.
I meant the 0 fer first year followed by a few SBs (and other solid seasons). Yep, TA won when it mattered.

EDIT: well, he could hope for having a career like TA (period) because that wouldn't be that bad, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez