• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 572 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly Bills might be the favorite in AFC as of now with Chiefs, Chargers, and Miami behind. They spent the whole off-season reloading on defense to get at the Chiefs offense. If they play in the playoffs and it’s in Buffalo, Bills should be the big favorite.

NFC looks like a toss up with Packers, Bucs, Rams at the top and I think Saints and Eagles could surprise.

Titans and Colts have been disappointing so far.

Honestly Bills might be the favorite in AFC as of now with Chiefs, Chargers, and Miami behind. They spent the whole off-season reloading on defense to get at the Chiefs offense. If they play in the playoffs and it’s in Buffalo, Bills should be the big favorite.

NFC looks like a toss up with Packers, Bucs, Rams at the top and I think Saints and Eagles could surprise.

I think the 49ers can make the playoffs as long as Jimmy, Deebo and Kittle don't miss many games. Their defense is pretty good and the young players on the O line are doing okay so far. They needed to win the last game to sneak in last season mainly because their divisional record was so bad. Oddly they only beat the Rams twice and were swept by the Cards and Hawks but they have had the better of the Rams lately until the NFC game anyway.

I think the 49ers can make the playoffs as long as Jimmy, Deebo and Kittle don't miss many games. Their defense is pretty good and the young players on the O line are doing okay so far. They needed to win the last game to sneak in last season mainly because their divisional record was so bad. Oddly they only beat the Rams twice and were swept by the Cards and Hawks but they have had the better of the Rams lately until the NFC game anyway.
Niners could definitely make the playoffs and go further but I feel like 2019 was there year.
I like Garoppolo but in my opinion he is in the Tannehill and Cousins tier that they won’t be the reason you lose but they aren’t like Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, or Brady that they’ll be the reason you win. Obviously Garoppolo is above those two in That tier.

I think that PHI is going to keep getting better. The disclaimer is who knows what can happen with injuries.

Niners could definitely make the playoffs and go further but I feel like 2019 was there year.
I like Garoppolo but in my opinion he is in the Tannehill and Cousins tier that they won’t be the reason you lose but they aren’t like Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, or Brady that they’ll be the reason you win. Obviously Garoppolo is above those two in That tier.
Garappolo has shown repeatedly he's one hard hit from a long vacation. He plays like it and it showed because Seattle actually got to him. The ticky PI calls in the 3rd quarter were his saving grace in terms of not giving Seattle back the ball. Not like they were going to do anything with it but he burned most of the quarter with absolutely mediocre play. As everyone noted; the 49er running game seemed was solid enough for Jimmy to complete a few legit passes. They only make the playoffs if Arizona, LA and SEA give it to them. Seattle looks to be their best/first ally in that regard.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Garappolo has shown repeatedly he's one hard hit from a long vacation. He plays like it and it showed because Seattle actually got to him. The ticky PI calls in the 3rd quarter were his saving grace in terms of not giving Seattle back the ball. Not like they were going to do anything with it but he burned most of the quarter with absolutely mediocre play. As everyone noted; the 49er running game seemed was solid enough for Jimmy to complete a few legit passes. They only make the playoffs if Arizona, LA and SEA give it to them. Seattle looks to be their best/first ally in that regard.
The 10-1 penalty count would be more than enough for most teams. The 49ers did the same against the Bears the week before and some of those were marginal. The 49ers RBs can't stay healthy which is a bigger problem than Jimmy. The Shanahan era has been a bad one for regular injuries even after changing strength coordinators a few times. Arizona often get off to a good start but fold later in the season which is what happened again the past two seasons and as far as coaching goes the Cards are on the bottom of that group of coaches. The current Seattle team looks a bit thin to me and the QB position doesn't help but the NFC West will be the usual arm wrestle.

Jimmy cops a lot of criticism but he took the team from 2-5 down, to the NFC game with a thumb and shoulder injury. Yes the health is a problem but sometimes the criticism is way over the top. He's not elite but good enough to win a SB on the right team. If anything Shanahan should be taking more of the flak when they fail and the history is there with his coaching.

Reactions: jmdirt
The 10-1 penalty count would be more than enough for most teams. The 49ers did the same against the Bears the week before and some of those were marginal. The 49ers RBs can't stay healthy which is a bigger problem than Jimmy. The Shanahan era has been a bad one for regular injuries even after changing strength coordinators a few times. Arizona often get off to a good start but fold later in the season which is what happened again the past two seasons and as far as coaching goes the Cards are on the bottom of that group of coaches. The current Seattle team looks a bit thin to me and the QB position doesn't help but the NFC West will be the usual arm wrestle.
The wrestling used to represent a higher quality of play across the division. I guess it's the aftereffect of paying talent too much in a game where injuries require reloading players. No money left for those guys unless that's Seattle's plan and Geno gets good. LA should be the serious leader. Kyler Murray can be amazing but I don't know much about the team at all other than they go where he goes.

I think the blood in the water attitude from the NFL will be overall damaging.. Yes there is huge demand for the product.. Obviously.. and they have found a way to make more by extending the season, but in my opinion Thursday night games are too much and NFL bodies need a week of recovery.. Not 3 days.. Chargers got short changed.. Win Sunday and near miss at KC..I think the game should be replayed at my request.

I think the blood in the water attitude from the NFL will be overall damaging.. Yes there is huge demand for the product.. Obviously.. and they have found a way to make more by extending the season, but in my opinion Thursday night games are too much and NFL bodies need a week of recovery.. Not 3 days.. Chargers got short changed.. Win Sunday and near miss at KC..I think the game should be replayed at my request.
Didn’t the Chiefs play Sunday too?

Stop trying to make me mad by bringing up facts.. Cheifs have Mahommes so it can never be apples to apples comparison.. Clearly an unfair advantage
Fair enough. But yes, Thursday games are usually worse, harder on the players and coaches. They should just be after bye weeks for teams. Or gone all together. Heck they could just replay highlights all day Thursday of every game and I’m sure people would watch it.

Also should be new rules for Kansas City.. No shovel passing, no sidearm or underhand anything.. Just not right.. He should have to throw only one way like everyone else
I mean m, the refs can definitely call out their illegal pick me off those plays more but what are you going to do. I still remember them doing it to the Patriots in the AFCCG on a scoring drive and the wide receiver blocked was 8 yards down the field before contact with the defender.

I mean m, the refs can definitely call out their illegal pick me off those plays more but what are you going to do. I still remember them doing it to the Patriots in the AFCCG on a scoring drive and the wide receiver blocked was 8 yards down the field before contact with the defender.
The guy just has it.. If not art near art..he just knows what to do to get it done. Other quarterbacks are exceptional.. But I watch and am amazed by a special something immeasurable in my opinion.. He just knows how to win..

Except Russ really hasn't played great so far, and the Broncos gave up an insane amount to get him. Way too much I think. The question in Seattle is are Pete, Schneider, and Jodi (and other advisers) all on the same page? If so, I would assume Seattle is looking at the 2023 draft for a future franchise QB, unless they can get one in a mega deal off season, and rebuilding for 2024 and beyond. Is Pete going to coach until he's 75? Marv Levy did until he was almost 73, and like Pete, was pretty vibrant at that age (he's 97 and still going!).

I really believe there should be two bye weeks in the NFL season, and the schedule adjusted to where teams only play on Thursday night after a bye. The NFL has talked about going to 18 games as soon as next year, if they do, a second bye week seems like a must (plus a larger roster, and larger practice squad). If the NFL ever gets to 40 teams, like they are talking) especially if one team is in Mexico City, and another in London), this will be a must, due to travel as well.

Garappolo's history is winning games that the team is favored, winning games where the running game is going well, and defense is playing well. He has a long history of not making many stupid mistakes, but not taking over many games. In some ways he's not too different than Alex Smith in his last years in SF, and with the Chiefs. I agree his and SF's great shot was in 2019, but in that SB a very telling move was that Shanahan somewhat took the ball out of Jimmy's hands in 4Q, and counted on the run game to keep working, and the D to hold. I'm not saying Jimmy would have won the game Tom Brady style, he was sacked on their last big offense chance, and they lost by two scores, blowing a 20-10 lead in the last Q. But he didn't rise to the occasion like a "Tier 1" QB would (and Mahomes did).

That Eli thing was funny. A couple years ago Jared Goff did a very similar thing. He was throwing bombs blowing other players minds.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVit4vSAMsk

If the Chargers can do one thing right.. Pick QBs..if the Jets do one thing wrong.. Pick QBs..I know that the people in the Seahawks organization forgot more about football than I will ever know.. Ok..but getting rid of Russell Wilson is.. a puzzle for me
The opinion from some Denver sportcasters sounds much like the symptoms we saw the last two seasons in Seattle: Russell was "distracted" by his contract, Ciara....his place in the NFL universe. His teammates knew it and that showed on the field at time with out of synch tempo, etc.
The Denver dudes mentioned all of those things and heaped degradation using terms like: "slow"....unwilling to "cook" (run...something like 5 total yards in 2 games), "old", "declining". They felt Seattle got the best deal and I'm inclined to agree.

TRENDING THREADS