• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 677 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Several bad calls at the end of the GB-KC game, but I'll focus on giving the Packers credit. Their defense played tough when it mattered, and Love looks legitimately good. I'm starting to wonder if the cumulation of every team taking pot-shots at KC is starting to wear on them.

Similar thing with Philly. The Eagles just looked like the longer that game went on, the more out of gas they were. Not just in this game, I mean from several tough games in a row. Still, credit to SF. Purdy is playing lights out.

Miami also looked superb. Granted, they are playing lame duck Washington, but they looked very good overall. If someone is going to say they are the best team in the AFC right now, I'm not going to argue. Though the Chiefs and Ravens might still have something to say about that.

Cleveland also looked tired, worn out. No QB, no hope.

As mediocre as Kenny Pickett may be, the Steelers hopes of a serious playoff run may be dashed with Trubisky at QB. With the Cardinals win, New England has moved into 2nd place in the Tankathon. Only Chicago (courtesy of Carolina) has a worse record.

Detroit beating NO wasn't as close as the score made it seem. Goff played mistake free. TB over Carolina wasn't close either, Panthers looked just as bad as they did under Reich.

The ends of Houston-Denver and Indy-Tenn was about the same. Except when it looked like Tennessee should win, Minshew really played great in OT and Indy won. The opposite happened with Wilson. Three picks overall, two late, and the worst one as Nomad said on the last ugly throw. CJ Stroud still the runaway ROY. Best rookie QB season since RGIII, eleven years ago now. Actually, probably better. He doesn't have the run threat RGIII did, but his passing numbers are going to obliterate every rookie QB record.

Gruesome Nick Chubb-type injury to a sideline official in the Saints game when hit out of bounds. His entire knee went sideways. Taken away on a stretcher.

Great win for the 49ers. They identified the Eagles weakness in the middle of the field and they exploited it Also some pretty soft tackling from the Eagles. Game looked done in the third quarter. Eagles couldn't contain Deebo at all. 49ers will be playing a desperate Hawks team next week. if the Hawks lose a few more the Rams could make a late run at a playoff spot while Green Bay have surprised many including me. That said, the officiating in the Chiefs game was amateur level, maybe the worst I have seen all season. All the same the Chiefs offense hasn't been looking like it's usual level for most of the season. Denver also on the precipice now. Conner running all over his old team in the Cards game.

Last edited:
Love is looking like a legitimate NFL QB1. He looked good on turkey day and again last night. I knew that GB was a young team, but when CC gave their age stats last night I was both shocked and impressed. They could be really solid for a few years to come.

HOU also a team to watch in the next few years.

SF, wow! I can't decide if PHI was off or if SF made them off.

DET still a team that no one wants to play.

MIA!

I think it would be nice if the NFL allowed coaches one challenge each half of the refs decision for either a penalty called or not called. Then if the team loses the challenge it is like with the challenge flag where they lose a timeout. If they have no timeouts and it’s on the offense there should be a 10 second run off, on defense a 5-10 yard penalty in favor of the opposing team’s offense. That way there can be a little more accountability but the worry would be this going the way of the challenging pass interference in whatever year that was.

I think it would be nice if the NFL allowed coaches one challenge each half of the refs decision for either a penalty called or not called...
The XFL, and to most extent, the USFL, got officiating right. Almost no bad calls the entire season. Rarely did anyone ever complain about officiating. How is this possible?
  • Every play can be challenged, or subject to review. PI, holding, personal fouls, everything.
  • Reviews are all done by a Sky Judge (team) in a booth. Not referees spending 5 minutes looking at a tablet on the field seeing the same video clips.
  • Review time is capped at I believe 2 minutes. Same as a time out. Put another way, we watch at home and 97% of the time we can tell if the call was good/bad in under a minute. The Sky Judge can too. NFL with both it's booth review, plus refs on the field take several painful minutes to figure this out.
  • If the reversal cannot be made in the time limit, it means it wasn't that obvious or clear to reverse, and the call on the field stands. Move on.
  • All refs, and the Sky Judge, are mic'd up, all the time. You can year, or replay everything they say. This keeps everyone completely honest. In the XFL we heard a few disagreements between officials. In another game last year Sky Judge Dean Blandino was caught on mic after a very close play saying to his crew he thought they might have blown they call as he re-watched it again after making the ruling. He later took accountability for that - which actually made it much more acceptable to both players, and fans. It was a mistake, but a very rare one, on a close call, and one everyone could see what was going on, and why the mistake was made.
Before the XFL implemented this skeptics said it was too complicated, would result in frivolous challenges, and take too long. They were wrong on all counts. It worked extremely well. Far, far, FAR better than the NFL.

Think of it like this, you're probably reading the same news feeds and social media content as the rest of us. There's a lot of talk about both teams getting bad calls last night. Both teams fans and players are complaining, and both are talking like their team got screwed. I said before, for most of the game the Packers outplayed the Chiefs. They probably deserve the win, but how it ended was ugly, and not fair to either team, really. And here we are another Monday, and there's less talk about how well the Packers are playing and how good Love is, how the great Mahomes almost pulled out another win, and more talk about poor officiating.

Love and the team have turned their season around, especially all the hate they got before the season. To rub further salt in the wounds, Love is doing it with the same receivers people said were trash last year. I think they’ll make the playoffs now which is better than most gave them credit for, whether they pull off an upset is anyone’s guess. But I could see them being a spoiler for Lions or who ever comes out of the NFCS.

Last edited:
Is the Pack back?

They looked impressive last night improving to 6-6 with a 3 game winning streak. Love was outstanding throwing for 267 yds with 3 TDs & no picks (he actually outplayed the gunslinger). Love looked very much in control of that O & you could see his maturity developing as a leader out there.

Nothing is better than watching a Packer's home game at Lambeau in the cold of December. They stuck it to the Chiefs in a hard hitting affair where guys were limping off the field left & right. The Pack wasn't intimidated by the Chiefs & the D came out aggressive dishing out some hard hits early on.

I'd say the Chiefs lost their composure when Pacheco was flagged & ejected for punching the DB that put the wood on him. Lol. Pacheco has got to learn to keep his cool - he's the #1 RB & he was eighty-sixed at a crucial time of the game because he lost his temper (I'm sure Reid had some harsh words for him).

Can GB win 10 games & get a WC spot? It's going to be an interesting Dec/Jan for the Pack.

View: https://youtu.be/KMFbABuj3QM?si=KDprOOnms5RmgjNG

Last edited:
Amazed they found 8 minutes of highlights from the Chargers game ! Patriots lost their fifth game in a row for the first time since 1995 while the Chargers continue to be resolutely mid level. Patriots badly need some hits in the next draft on offense especially. While the Chargers need an obvious coaching change. One play featured a deflection going through the hands of three players which kinda summed up the game..............

Very entertaining game, great win for Browning. But shrouded by a dark cloud with Lawerence going down. Since they said he was "questionable" this makes me guess he didn't suffer a ruptured achilles - which medical staff can often easily diagnose. This makes it more likely just a badly twisted ankle or high ankle sprain. As we've seen before these range from 0 games missed, to a month.

Nightmare for the Jags. The #1 seed in the AFC looked to be theirs for the taking after winning in Houston last week. Then lost two starters to injury, even before Lawrence went down. With the big advantage of the #1 seed they had a decent chance of going all the way but I don't see it happening now, even if Lawrence was able to return before the playoffs.

Nightmare for the Jags. The #1 seed in the AFC looked to be theirs for the taking after winning in Houston last week. Then lost two starters to injury, even before Lawrence went down. With the big advantage of the #1 seed they had a decent chance of going all the way but I don't see it happening now, even if Lawrence was able to return before the playoffs.
He's in a walking boot with an ankle sprain but is getting an MRI to double check. At the time it looked worse than that...........not sure why they didn't cart him back to the locker room. I notice that teams often do that. Seems weird when they have the cart there to use.

He's in a walking boot with an ankle sprain but is getting an MRI to double check. At the time it looked worse than that...........not sure why they didn't cart him back to the locker room. I notice that teams often do that. Seems weird when they have the cart there to use.
That was weird. They don't carry or help players off the field anymore for potentially serious lower leg injuries - that was done back in the old days. Lol. It's all cart now so there's no risk of further aggravation - athletic trainer protocol.

I thought it was an Achilles they way the foot planted & the back of the ankle rolled. Then when Lawrence slammed his helmet down, I thought he knew it was something serious like an Achilles, Lisfranc, etc.

Last edited:
Browning looked GREAT! I hope that he can play that well for the remaining games!

I hope that Lawrence is OK. The not really official word is high ankle sprain. Beathard is not a QB1 or even really a QB2 so they should be burning up the wire right now.
Aside from the injuries, which everyone hates, a great Monday night football game!! Both teams had great energy and both QBs stepped up and played way over their head.. Browning could go downfield and was not shy about trying to create a big play.
Beathard was impressive to stand in there and take what was available.. No long bombs but he didn't have that I am a bench warmer so no shotgun and mandate conservative coaching and just hand the ball off..really enjoyed it..
Kicking when it counted..

Browning looked GREAT! I hope that he can play that well for the remaining games!

I hope that Lawrence is OK. The not really official word is high ankle sprain. Beathard is not a QB1 or even really a QB2 so they should be burning up the wire right now.
From my spotty memory, I'm pretty sure that Beathard had one win as a starter for the 49ers. He didn't start many games as Mullens was ahead of him as a back up. With Jimmy G out so often the back ups got quite a lot of experience over time and Jimmy continues to do wonders for rookie QB's, at the Raiders albeit currently uninjured just pride wise only..................

Aside from the injuries, which everyone hates, a great Monday night football game!! Both teams had great energy and both QBs stepped up and played way over their head.. Browning could go downfield and was not shy about trying to create a big play.
Beathard was impressive to stand in there and take what was available.. No long bombs but he didn't have that I am a bench warmer so no shotgun and mandate conservative coaching and just hand the ball off..really enjoyed it..
Kicking when it counted..
Ironically, Beathard does have a good long ball. The throw to Ridley for the TD was nice but it was called back for holding. But he fumbled on his first play and luckily they got the ball back otherwise it wouldn't have even got o overtime.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
We won't know until probably Friday or Saturday just how serious of an injury Lawerence sprain is. There are also "grades" of sprain. Last year both Mahomes and Tannehill suffered a high ankle sprain and neither missed a game. But Kenny Pickett apparently badly stretched or tore his ligaments enough in his recent high ankle sprain that he'll have surgery and miss about a month.
Clown show in the Big Apple. Lol
Completely unreal. Not only did they sign Rypian, they cut Boyle! And Boyle actually made a few good throws, in between missing easy ones. But Boyle didn't look much better or worse than Wilson. The Jets are delusional if they think Rypian is going to come in there and turn that offense around. There's a report that Wilson isn't that interested in playing anymore, which Saleh disputed. My guess is this: Zach can see the dumpster fire burning and isn't interested in hopping back in and getting hurt. This will allow him to be jettisoned after the season, and hope to start his career anew somewhere else, even if as a back-up. His interview with another team should be easy "Hey, I did my best. You saw how bad that offense was no matter which one of us they shuffled in and out of there. At least I won a few games." So, whatever situation that ends up being can't be much worse for him than being stuck on the Jets.

I'm wondering if the Eagles, or the league, will come down on Eagles security guy Dom DiSandro. He's the guy that got heavily into it with Greenlaw in Sunday's game. The Eagles and their fans love Dom, very loyal Eagle, but he had no business getting into it with Tre, at all. If the team or league doesn't suspend him to some degree - even if just keeping him off the field for a game and then behind the benches in the future, away from the sideline, it could set a bad precedent. What I mean is this: A team could decide to sacrifice sideline personnel in order to get a key player ejected by telling that person to go out on the field and rile up some player so both can get ejected. The team can win a game without a security guy (trainer, 3nd assistant coach, etc.) but far less so with a player of Greenlaw's caliber.

Anyone remember this?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeZ-Of_j_yI

Reactions: jmdirt
We won't know until probably Friday or Saturday just how serious of an injury Lawerence sprain is. There are also "grades" of sprain. Last year both Mahomes and Tannehill suffered a high ankle sprain and neither missed a game. But Kenny Pickett apparently badly stretched or tore his ligaments enough in his recent high ankle sprain that he'll have surgery and miss about a month.

Completely unreal. Not only did they sign Rypian, they cut Boyle! And Boyle actually made a few good throws, in between missing easy ones. But Boyle didn't look much better or worse than Wilson. The Jets are delusional if they think Rypian is going to come in there and turn that offense around. There's a report that Wilson isn't that interested in playing anymore, which Saleh disputed. My guess is this: Zach can see the dumpster fire burning and isn't interested in hopping back in and getting hurt. This will allow him to be jettisoned after the season, and hope to start his career anew somewhere else, even if as a back-up. His interview with another team should be easy "Hey, I did my best. You saw how bad that offense was no matter which one of us they shuffled in and out of there. At least I won a few games." So, whatever situation that ends up being can't be much worse for him than being stuck on the Jets.

I'm wondering if the Eagles, or the league, will come down on Eagles security guy Dom DiSandro. He's the guy that got heavily into it with Greenlaw in Sunday's game. The Eagles and their fans love Dom, very loyal Eagle, but he had no business getting into it with Tre, at all. If the team or league doesn't suspend him to some degree - even if just keeping him off the field for a game and then behind the benches in the future, away from the sideline, it could set a bad precedent. What I mean is this: A team could decide to sacrifice sideline personnel in order to get a key player ejected by telling that person to go out on the field and rile up some player so both can get ejected. The team can win a game without a security guy (trainer, 3nd assistant coach, etc.) but far less so with a player of Greenlaw's caliber.

Anyone remember this?
The security guy should at least get a suspension. He probably won't lose his job. but it doesn't take much to rile Greenlaw. That's probably the most restrained I have seen him but I think Shanahan is getting tired of his bonehead plays. He's done it once too often and it always comes with a penalty. Jimmy Ward was the same but he's the Texans problem now............

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt