• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mark Cuban has predicted a drastic decline in the popularity of the NFL over the next decade due to the league's greed (LINK). What do you all think?

Personally, I think it is possible. However, we have to remember Mark Cuban is the owner of an NBA team, and therefore his opinion could be biased if he sees the NFL gobbling up NBA revenues by NFL games being aired more often, such as adding Saturday NFL games when NFL games are already aired on Sunday, Monday, and Thursday. IF the NFL sticks to airing games on only those 3 days, I think the NFL will be OK. But I would be strongly opposed to Saturday NFL games during the NCAA regular season on grounds that it would just not be right to squeeze out the NCAA. But that's just me. In addition, I think too much NFL could diminish the public's interest in it. A hungry public will have much more interest than a saturated one.

One parting shot... Mark Cuban probably does not have much to worry about now that David Stern, the former NBA commish, has retired. Things can only get better for the NBA now.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I think Cubans workers read my recent post ;), since Cuban repeats what I just said lately.
Hate to admit, but a greedy owner is right on the money on NFL greed and overfeeding their fans....

I agree, Foxxy, too much greed in the NFL and USA in general. Question is, will it become worse in the NFL and if so, will fans turn away? My gut says the public is so greedy that their interest in the NFL will not decline if the league becomes greedier. But fans might lose interest if they become too saturated with NFL product/productions.

Well, he's right about the greed. Though I don't see the NFL suffering a drastic decline. More likely it will retract some and languish (like the NBA). It's beyond TV saturation, though he's right about that, definitely. Just look at all the talk about expanding the playoffs and regular season, within the framework of the current CBA. Meaning: Players don't really get more money. Translation: More money for owners.

I'll say what I did before, if the NFL wants to expand, the smartest thing to do is have the NFL broadcast more games on Sunday across more networks. That way people can choose the games they want to watch without having to buy the NFL package. That would be a reasonable, small step. But not a largely profitable one. So it's likely out of consideration.

Of course the NBA has been the kings of saturation leading to greed. Their playoff season lasts forever, with an absurd amount of teams making the playoffs, and every series being a 7 game series. Plus there's a huge split in the quality of teams, and teams that win. It's just a horrible league. While David Stern is gone, I don't see the NBA reversing trend, regardless of lost revenue. But the NBA (and NHL) could both benefit from removing playoff teams, and games (and even consider retraction in shrinking the league). In fact, I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I believe the NHL now tops the NBA in attendance. Not that this is saying much.

Meanwhile, the free agency carousel continues.

Matt Schaub signing with Oakland and restructuring his deal to pay him $10m. The Raiders immediately anointed him their starting QB, even though he had a terrible season last year. They also signed James Jones from Green Bay. They also signed Darren McFadden again, however, they were able to maybe get him cheap, with only $100k of his contract guaranteed. It's really hard to judge this, but to me this all looks not much different than the Raiders team with Carson Palmer at QB. At least this means they won't blow a draft pick on Johnny Manzeil.

Meanwhile, Michael Vick has signed with the Jets. NY on the other hand simply welcomed him, and didn't immediately call him their starter. Apparently owner Woody Johnson called up Roger Goodell before making the deal, with lingering concerns about Vick's character.

Brandon Weeden has landed in Dallas and is apparently happy to backup Tony Romo.

No one has signed Mark Sanchez yet. It looks like a luke warm response, though the Rams may be meeting with him this week. There's talk that Cleveland will bring him in also.

While no one was watching, apparently AJ McCarron had a stellar pro day, better than anyone anticipated. Recall early in the NCAA season there was talk he was a potential 1st round pick. Then, after some late season losses, he dropped off the radar. Look for a team to try to steal him with a 3rd round pick or maybe better.

I think Foles is the starter for the Eagles at QB. After that, I think Sanchez will be given the opportunity to compete for the #2 spot as Foles primary backup. But he will have to compete against Matt Barkley. Then they will use camps and preseason to sort out who will be #2 and #3. No telling at this point. I do not know much about Kinne to know how he figures in the mix.

The signing surprised me, as I never thought of Sanchez being a quick decision maker. So how is he going to fair in Chip Kelly's system? There's no doubt that Foles is the starter. After last year's amazing season, he could even regress a step and he'd still be the starter. Matt Barkley is the question mark to me.

Meanwhile, with the Raiders all excited to get Matt Schaub, Terrell Pryor says he would now like to be traded. Gosh, what a shock. Even though he played fairly well in his first year starting most games, and even though he matured as a person and said at the end of the season he knew he had to learn and play better and would work his tail off in the off-season, they still had little to no confidence in him. I'd ask for a trade too.

Mark Davis is saying the Raiders are really planning on staying put in Oakland. Unless of course they move to LA where they were popular, or elsewhere. His wording was great. He didn't make any threats, just matter of fact spoke about the situation. His dad would be proud.

Speaking of the Raiders, Richie Incognito says that's the team he'd like to play for (he has to first clear psych evals, then sit out how many ever games Goodell sees fit). But that gave Davis some pause. He didn't seem too interested and said to ask Reggie his thoughts. The problem is two-fold. First, Incognito's a jerk. Second, he's not very good.

I didn't think Sanchez had signed just yet. Is he an Eagle now?

Funny, on NFL Network some host accidentally used the "Sanchize" term when discussing his possible signing with Philly. That term can be used to beat up both the player and the Jets organization. Kind of feel sorry for Sanchez, since he's been beat up enough already. Don't feel sorry for the organization though.

But boy was I dead wrong for saying Jets would not let Sanch go because of the $5M dead money they owe him now.

On the Raiders, I'm not sure they have a clear picture of where they want to go. I mean, at this point Carson Palmer, whom the Raiders let go, looks like the better of the two QBs compared to Schaub. ??? :confused:

Okay junkies, your beat reporter here with today's NFL update.Johnny Football had his Pro Day today and impressed more than a few people. Some things stood out:

• He wore a helmet and shoulder pads ("you wear them in a game, right?").
•*He focused on what people were previously critical of (pocket, quick throws, etc.)
• He acted professional in all interviews.
• Ron Jaworski was impressed enough to say his Pro Day was equal to Bortles. Jaws had Manziel about a third round pick, and has moved him up.
• He seemed focused and determined. This is what makes pro QB's and a trait the great ones have, to constantly improve (PM, Brady, Brees, Rogers, Wilson, etc.)
• He'll be a top 10 pick. But money still says Texans take Bortles or Clowney.
• There's way too much hype going on here!

kuoagpv

Alpe d'Huez said:
Johnny Football had his Pro Day today and impressed more than a few people. Some things stood out:

• He wore a helmet and shoulder pads ("you wear them in a game, right?").
•*He focused on what people were previously critical of (pocket, quick throws, etc.)
• He acted professional in all interviews.
Ron Jaworski was impressed enough to say his Pro Day was equal to Bortles. Jaws had Manziel about a third round pick, and has moved him up.
• He seemed focused and determined. This is what makes pro QB's and a trait the great ones have, to constantly improve (PM, Brady, Brees, Rogers, Wilson, etc.)
He'll be a top 10 pick. But money still says Texans take Bortles or Clowney.
• There's way too much hype going on here!

Yeah, Jaws should move him up! I agree wit you. He's a top ten pick. Maybe a top 4 pick. Man, all the mental/maturity negatives anyone may have heard about Manziel... FORGET IT! I watched the Jon Gruden QB Camp featuring Manziel and was convinced his character is solid and that he's a team guy (LINK). At the end of the 1/2 hour long show, Gruden said he really liked Manziel... as a person (squelching any negative character traits we may have heard). (LINK ON GRUDEN IMPRESSED) But Gruden also had some criticisms (durability, makes some bad decisions, does not look off defensive backs and pick up secondary receivers, does not use check down receivers and will try to make the big play instead... (LINK)). But he's got drive, determination, and he's smart enough to learn. He probably has more to learn than other QBs in this draft, but I think he has a lot more upside than a Bortles, Bridgewater, or the other QBs.

That said, Houston might appear locked in on Clowney or Bortles, but I won't be surprised now if they take Manziel. But if Houston passes on Manziel, I think Manziel has impressed enough that there will be some teams willing to trade up with the Rams (at #2 overall) so they can get Manziel. The JAGS' (3rd overall in the draft order) #1 need is QB and they have 10 picks, so they can afford to trade up. You may ask, since the Rams are not likely to draft a QB, why would the JAGS trade up?... to prevent a lower team in the draft from sneaking ahead of them. The BROWNS (4th overall) #1 need is QB or WR, they also have 10 picks including two first round picks, and so really can afford to trade up. The RAIDERS (5th overall), having traded for Schaub and with only 6 picks, will now be unlikely to trade up. MIN, at #8 overall, also needs a QB but not many picks to trade up with, unless they gave up future picks. The point of all that rambling is this... Manziel could go #1, #2, #3, or #4 overall.

I love Gruden Camp. That's where I came away impressed with Russell Wilson. That and on draft day Gruden was the one guy who singled Wilson out for praise.

As to draft picks, the Rams have two picks in the top 15! I won't be at all surprised if they trade #2 if there's enough interest, especially for Manziel to match Bortles, or Clowney in hype. The Rams have a very bring future. While I've thought Bradford is overrated for a while now, he's still not bad, and both OL and WR help is surely on it's way in this draft. If the team can move to LA and start playing on a new grass field in warm weather...

I'll say what I did before about the Browns, it would be a mistake to take a QB with how many problems they have on offense. Plus, Hoyer played well before getting hurt. If they can protect him, and give him guys to throw to, they should improve. Their defense has some talent. Alas, I don't trust the Browns ownership or management, so I could see them taking a QB with the first pick, no matter who that pick is.

I wouldn't be shocked if Manzeil drops and the Raiders take him. Not because they need him, but because their recent history isn't much smarter than Cleveland's.

The Jags need players at several positions. But if they can't get Bortles or Manziel, I don't think they'll take Bridgewater or Carr. They got burned taking Gabbert and don't want to make the same mistake, especially as they are a growing team with other needs. I don't see Bradley and the Jags doing that, especially after a smart free agency period.

Speaking of the Raiders, Terrell Pryor has asked to be traded. I don't blame him. He didn't have a great year, but he wasn't bad and he's still young,. At the end of last year seemed matured and very determined. Some team could likely get him cheap, and have a potential future starter. At worst case he could make an excellent back-up somewhere.

.What other problems do the browns have? Their offensive line is v. good. They have a very good pro bowl tight end in Jordan Cameron. The 2nd best wide receiver in the league. With the late 1st round pick they can get a solid 2nd wide receiver. Considering their defense is good as well so they don't need 40 points every game I think their offense, once they get a qb, is fine.

Are they? They were 17th in total yards, 25th in YPP (Foxxy's fav stat), and a dismal 27th in points per game.

Their passing was actually 11th best in the league, with Hoyer putting up some very good numbers. Even Weeden and Campbell weren't terrible statistically. They just turned the ball over too often, with the biggest reasons being no running game (which is blocking as much as the RB), and being behind in too many games. Collectively, Hoyer, Weeden and Campbell were sacked a whopping 49 times. The only QB in the NFL sacked more was Tannehill.

With all this in mind, why would they feel that drafting a QB with their first pick is the solution to their problems? If you're wondering if Manzeil can scramble, thus avoid sacks, that's not really how most sacks happen. For example, Russell Wilson and Cam Newton were each sacked over 40 times. Stats on NFL.com

Now, maybe you're saying the Browns have good young players on offense who need a chance, and that Hoyer got hurt last year. Maybe you're right. But does that mean drafting not one, but two QBs in the draft to compete with Hoyer, since both Weeden (DAL) and Campbell (CIN) have now departed? Though they did say they weren't ruling out drafting a defensive player first, or finding a starting QB later in the draft, I still don't have a lot of faith in the organization.

Unless of course you are saying the Raiders are making even more poor decisions than the Browns, in which case, well, I can't really argue much with you there!

Alpe d'Huez said:
Are they? They were 17th in total yards, 25th in YPP (Foxxy's fav stat), and a dismal 27th in points per game.

Because they didn't have a good qb;) They probably had one worst qb situations in the league. Also they sort of just gave up like the texans.

They had 6 pro bowlers which was joint 4th highest in the league last season. Obviously that's not neccesarily the best way to measure team strenght but seems to me outside the quarterback position they have decent talent all around. I really don't see what other major flaws they have that they should pass on a qb if the right one is there?

Even Weeden and Campbell weren't terrible statistically.
Yep, becuase they had Jordan Cameron and in particular Josh Gordon. That's what made them look good. An even better qb is going to make them look even better, especially since with the late 1st round pick and early 2nd round one (36th and 24th) they can get themselves another weapon on offense what is a deep wide receiver class if not (maybe they want a defensive player).

At 4 they are likely to have either Carr, Bortles or maybe Bridgewater fall to them and all of those are likely to be improvements over Hoyer at the most important position. The only way that doesn't happen is if another qb needy team trades up with Rams but I don't think there is a qb needy team behind them that will go full beloved patriot did for one of these qbs. Oakland - too many needs, more likely to trade down, are paying Schaub. Vikes - too big a reach from 8.

Now, maybe you're saying the Browns have good young players on offense who need a chance, and that Hoyer got hurt last year. Maybe you're right. But does that mean drafting not one, but two QBs in the draft to compete with Hoyer, since both Weeden (DAL) and Campbell (CIN) have now departed? Though they did say they weren't ruling out drafting a defensive player first, or finding a starting QB later in the draft, I still don't have a lot of faith in the organization.

Unless of course you are saying the Raiders are making even more poor decisions than the Browns, in which case, well, I can't really argue much with you there!

Im not disputing Browns do everything wrong and may **** it up. I was responding to you saying they shouldn't draft a qb because they have other needs. IMO for cleveland, qb is THE need. More important than all the others put together. They can get a solid qb that team has the talent all around to make the playoffs. 1st pick if there should be all about selecting a qb, if there is one.

Last summer I thought the Browns could have been on the verge of a breakthrough to make the playoffs. My opinion then was based on talent that I thought was pretty good and going in a positive direction. But that was before they played a single preseason game. The wheels started coming off after they started playing, and ended up with dismal stats as Alpe points out. So their performance was not good even though they had decent talent. That is one of those head scratching situations that makes one wonder why. The QB and coaching often get blamed, and both probably had a hand in it. But since then, off season in particular, the Browns have shown to be organizationally inept. You would think Irsay owned the team. But I stop short of saying their offensive line is very good. I think they have multiple needs at OG, but not desparate needs there that make them reach at that position in the draft.

Well, they did draft a QB in the first round two years ago in Weeden. He has a great arm, and showed very good accuracy beating Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl, plus in the Combine and his Pro Day. How well did that work out? Everyone said he was an old rookie, but his problem was that he didn't read pro defenses fast enough, and forced too many throws. Is Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles really going to be that much better than Weeden? Then again, Weeden wasn't the Browns best QB, Hoyer was.

If we look through all the QB's drafted in the first round over the last decade you end up with far more QBs like Weeden, than Luck.

Meanwhile, the Eagles released Desean Jackson because he has gang ties in LA. Even though he's never been arrested or anything negative. Very strange. Must have been more to it. Raiders may pick him up.

Good explanation on guys like luck vs weed, no puns intended.

I would be very interested on what the Eagles staffers have to go on, or think they have to go on, concerning DeSean Jackson. I heard work ethic was an early concern. So maybe the prospect of possible gang ties infiltrating the team or locker room, or Jackson's untradability now, tipped the scales to his release. BUT ex-coach Andy Reid has nothing but praise for Jackson. So with nothing negative so far as you say, yes, this does seem very strange, which is why my interest in staffers information has been piqued. Now that his release is water under the bridge, if I was another team I'd have no probs asking him in for a visit and then signing him up with maybe some stipulations.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
LINK!!! CBS news report...
Well, well, well. LAPD says DeSean Jackson not involved in killings. Makes Philly look impulsive and acting more on rumor.

Desean signed by Skins, three years, 24m. I'll get back to you after I figure out how I feel about this.

I'd be cautiously happy about it. I've always been one who thinks big, flashy FA signings are like big flashy first round draft picks - they often generate more hype than production. But the Skins can use another WR, and he'll be in the same division as the team that dumped him. I still think the Skins biggest question mark is RGIII. Is he completely healthy? Can he adapt to where he still scrambles and runs some, but doesn't rely on his speed? He has a great arm, but his rookie season was made all the more impressive by his ability to run, fast. Can he adapt? I also question the OL help around him.

On DeSean, Alpe hit it on the nail head... cautiously happy.

But how anyone interested in the Skins will feel about his signing will not really not be known in truth until we see how he shows up for practice, how hard he works (or doesn't work), and at the end of the day, how he performs next season. If Shanny was still the Skins HC, and if DeSean showed him a lack of effort, then I guaran-effing-tee you that DeSean would be in the dog house. Not sure how Jay Gruden would handle that. But if DeSean comes in working hard in the offseason, preseason, and regular season, and if he puts up good numbers next year, then the only possible negative about his signing is that physically he is in the same mold as the other Skins WRs. Small. But historically we have seen other WR trios that have been deadly. The size factor is only discussed now because of the trend to big, long bodies at the WR position. That's not to say 3 smallish guys can't be productive today.

In other news:

The Bills just traded a 6th rounder for Buccs Mike Williams. That's an impressive collection of Williams' so far.

Williams, Aaron S
Williams, Duke S
Williams, Kyle DL
Williams, Mario DL
Williams, Chris G
Williams, Mike WR

Hope they'll draft Andre Williams (RB) now.

Pretty funny!

Chris Johnson released by the Titans today. One of the most overpaid players in the NFL over the last few years, he has none the less proven to be durable. Where does he end up? How about the Jets? That's my guess.

The Giants signed Robert Ayers, to add to a near total overhaul their defense. It's hard to tell how good they are going to be. They patched together something like 12 veteran players already in FA. Rodgers-Cromaratie the biggest name, but he may be on the downside of his career. I can't quite figure out what they are doing. Are they getting solid veteran players at a good price, to compete this year and the next? Or are they patching something together before they rebuild? I don't see Coughlin wanting to sit through a few rebuilding years, so I'm guessing there's a lot of hope the vets can deliver.

Rumors trickling through that the Texans weren't super impressed with any QB coming up in the draft and tried to get Matt Cassell, and expected to draft Clowney with the #1 pick. Not that Cassell is a world beater, he's a lot like Schaub to be honest. But he may be more level headed, if not quite as strong of arm. But Cassell re-signed with the Vikings. So...

Dieon Sanders said Johnny Manzeil has "ghetto tendencies", that's why some people don't like him. Really? He comes from money. But Sanders said the Texans should take him with the first pick, as he'll fill the stadium every week. Well, if it's all about money then...

Reporters have perhaps finally gotten to the bottom of why DeSean Jackson was cut from Philadelphia. It isn't "gang ties". Apparently he was a total pain in the rear, and then some.

"A number of sources close to and around the team, including current and former players, as well as additional sources within the Eagles revealed was that Jackson was not very well liked by his teammates, was blatantly insubordinate, with temper tantrums cussing out Kelly several times in front of the team, pushed the NFL rookie coach the way “a child would test boundaries,” and was more concerned with his rap label than he was about winning football games. ...He thought he could push [Kelly] around; he found out otherwise. His being cut had nothing to do with the gang stuff... What put him out was his selfishness.

Boy, if I'm the Washington Redskins and I'm reading this, or even if I'm Jackson's agent, I'd be more than a little taken back by this.

TRENDING THREADS