• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
In this day and age it's pretty hard not to offend someone or group.

If I'm Snyder I drop both 'Washington' and 'Redskins.'

Maybe go with something like 'Southeastern Pastels'.

Look something like this;

images

LMAO. Yeah, we are heading to something like this...

Scott SoCal said:
It won't be long before American Football will drop "tackle" altogether, so forget the helmet.

images

No, no, you see ghosts... The NFL has to do something against serious injuries. There are problems for High Schools and Colleges to get the sport insured... NFL must lead the way, otherwise big business is in danger.
Clean good tackles won´t ever go away. But hopefully cheap shots, head hits, RBs lowering heads into defenders, and more. You know all the unnecessary stuff that Campbell never had in mind when bringing football to earth... And the game is more popular than ever.

BTW, we just had a hard hitting, hard tackling defensive team winning the championship.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
LMAO. Yeah, we are heading to something like this...

No, no, you see ghosts... The NFL has to do something against serious injuries. There are problems for High Schools and Colleges to get the sport insured... NFL must lead the way, otherwise big business is in danger.
Clean good tackles won´t ever go away. But hopefully cheap shots, head hits, RBs lowering heads into defenders, and more. You know all the unnecessary stuff that Campbell never had in mind when bringing football to earth... And the game is more popular than ever.

BTW, we just had a hard hitting, hard tackling defensive team winning the championship.

Pop Warner football has had a 10% drop in participants spanning a three year period, 2010-2012.

The sport is dead it just doesn't know it yet.

Football is the new Football. Just look at the rise in American viewership for the World Cup.

EDIT - Foxxy, you have probably already seen this article but I'll put it up anyway. How much longer before CPS rolls in and takes kids away from their parents for being allowed to play a sport known to cause brain injury?

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/11/can-youth-football-be-saved-and-should-it-be/281536/

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Pop Warner football has had a 10% drop in participants spanning a three year period, 2010-2012.

The sport is dead it just doesn't know it yet.

Football is the new Football. Just look at the rise in American viewership for the World Cup.

A 10% drop isn´t dead. But warnings are heared.
So that´s what I don´t get about some football fans. They complain about football getting "soft", but don´t see the reasons behind it.
For now Football is at the highest point.
Soccer is not even close. You can´t compare a single World cup match to reagular season games. Compare it to playoffs/high rating games. There is still a big gap. But it could be closed one day. No doubt.

http://nflcommunications.com/2013/11/27/fifteen-nfl-games-top-25-million-viewers-in-2013/

Edit: Didn´t saw the link first. A good article. But have read similar stories before. At the end of the day: "but soccer is no safe haven (either)". There are serious injuries in Europe, and some ex-players got serious brain damage after retiring also. If parents change their kids to soccer from football, they unknowingly change "between the devil and the deep blue sea".
Youth football shall be safed. And I agree to the article, there is no need for (hard) tackle football when young.
We crazy german ex-baseball and football players met for football in the backyard in the Baseball off-season... and played tackle football without helmets. :D
Serious injuries? Yeah, I had torn my own knee when running around the OL, hitting my left knee with my own right knee. LOL. Another guy broke his foot when running free, catching a pass, started to celebrate running into the Endzone... and stumbled = injury. God, that was funny "we shouted; run Forrest run...". He started laughing, that was the moment he started to stumble. Great old times when I think back about that moments.
Why no serious injuries in in-game-action? Simply because you can´t go head low w/o helmets. The human brain protects you from doing stupid unprotected stuff.
OTOH, dislocated fingers, brushes, strains, all that stuff happened... and made you proud: You played football.
Nothing ever came close to that feelings in soccer (played youth league), Handball (played school league), Baseball (played league ball, but OFC not even close to US level), Table Tennis, Tennis, Cycling, Billiards... Nothing.
Thus: Save football. It´s the greatest sport out there...

Concussions and injuries won't kill the NFL, oversaturation and greed will.

We've said it before, with the NFL wanting to be year round, expand the season, expand the playoffs, they are overstaying their welcome. This won't kill the league, but it will push them in the direction the NBA did, with too many games, too long of playoffs, etc. And owners not willing to turn down a perceived opportunity to get more money. Heck, players too. With the way the NFL is trying to grab every second of attention and every penny, I think the decline will start in a few years, and in a decade MLB will start to catch back up (after all, for 50 years MLB was bigger).

I agree that a lower participation rate among kids, and a higher participation rate in soccer also adds to it. As I said in the other thread, I see a day when soccer is the #3 team sport in the US, passing up both the NHL and NBA. Especially as younger kids play it more. If the MLS can keep moving forward, get more wealthy owners, and the NBA and NHL keep up their idiocy and oversaturation, soccer is primed to make real inroads there.

Overall though injuries I don't think will kill the NFL. Boxing, the NHL, numerous other sports have had terrible injuries. What killed boxing? It wasn't the injuries. Hell, in motorsports there are a lot of maimed and dead participants, fans even. NASCAR is still huge.

As to the Redskins, what's funny is that the name I find to be a slur, but not so much the logo. But I'm the opposite with the Cleveland Indians. The logo seems derogatory to me, the name, less so. Some people view both. But it does get to a point when you wonder what's not offensive? What if he named the team the Pussies, and had a kitten as their mascot? Or the Hooters and used an owl?

Let's just say he called them the Skins, and changed the logo to something more generic, but still encouraged fans to use a Native American honored theme. Would that be offensive?

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Concussions and injuries won't kill the NFL, oversaturation and greed will.

Boxing, the NHL, numerous other sports have had terrible injuries. What killed boxing? It wasn't the injuries. Hell, in motorsports there are a lot of maimed and dead participants, fans even. NASCAR is still huge.

We've said it before, with the NFL wanting to be year round, expand the season, expand the playoffs, they are overstaying their welcome. This won't kill the league, but it will push them in the direction the NBA did, with too many games, too long of playoffs, etc. And greedy owners not willing to turn down a perceived opportunity to get more money. Heck, greedy players too. With the way the NFL is trying to grab every second of attention and every penny, I think the decline will start in a few years, and in a decade MLB will start to catch back up (after all, for 50 years MLB was bigger).

As to the Redskins, what's funny is that the name I find to be a slur, but not so much the logo. Some people view both. But it does get to a point when you wonder what's not offensive. What if he named the team the Pussies, and had a kitten as their mascot? Or the Hooters and used an owl?

Let's just say he called them the Skins, and changed the logo to something more generic, but still encouraged fans to use a Native American honored theme. Would that be offensive?

Yep.

How about the Washington FatHogs? Or the Washington Bureaucrats? Washington Waste? Washington Profiteers? Washington Administration? Washington Insiders? Washington Federals?

How about the Washington Domination?

leather-face-mask-nfl-uniforms-660.jpg

Cheerleaders....

3380_1359979814.jpg

The mind reels....

I had time yesterday to watch some TV and listen to the radio and a lot of the talk about the whole Redskins thing. Worst was Rob Dibble on ESPN who shouted down every guest who disagreed with him. I'm not even going to comment on his position. Best was probably Dan Patrick who had none other than Sally Jenkins on there. Here's what I took away from it all.

• It's odd that with the team no longer holding the patent and trademark, that it can actually now be used freely elsewhere! You can now call your local poker league the Redskins and not face a lawsuit!

• I'll be really surprised if the name isn't changed within the next 5 years. The anaconda like increase of patent issues, lawsuits, internal pressure, external pressure causing financial strain and more. Could be longer, but I doubt it.

• It's peculiar that the Native Americans are divided on this, but not harshly so. Some are definitely offended, others still have schools that use the beloved patriot moniker. But it's mostly the white man making a big fuss, either to stop it, or defend it.

• When a Native American leader of stature finally gets the attention of the media and gives a compelling argument against the name, that may be the death knell for the name. But who is this person? Right now, no one.

• If Native Americans were the majority in this country and the whites were the monitory, whites would make a bigger stink if there were a team called the Crackers or Whities, or General Custer were a team's logo/mascot. But that's not reality.

• Confusing disagreements on the logo. For example, by and large the majority of Native Americans really like the Chicago Blackhawks. It's a name rooted in Native American lore. But their logo is very similar to the Redskins.

• I said before I agree with others who find the Cleveland Indian logo "Chief Wahoo!" a bit derogatory, and the Indians have very slowly moved away from using it, with many fans preferring the C with the feather, or the I. But the Redskins don't have such an easy task, as you can't easily phase out a name over time.

• One odd suggestion is that since most sportswriters no longer use the term Redksins, simply calling them Washington, that the sportswriters could pressure each other, and on-air announcers and networks to do the same.

Which begs the question I asked before. Would just calling the team the "Skins" be a slur?

Dan Patrick had two callers that were both Native American. One said he wasn't offended by Redskins and was glad the team honored Natives. The other said there were so many better ways to do that, and he was very offended by the word Redskins, as well as Cleveland calling their team the Indians, and their Chief Wahoo logo. But he was a supporter of the Blackhawks and Seminoles.

One thing I would like to add is that I don't imagine, and sure don't hope, Congress gets involved in this. That would be pathetic. Since Congress is largely filled with self-important knuckledraggers who like low lying fruit, this is currently a topic that's a bit too controversial for them to waste time, energy and taxpayer dollars on. But they are so good at waste, and so pathetic already, this topic isn't too far from us seeing absurd hearings similar to what they had on MLB's steroid era. Probably worse.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Brady Quinn has been rather critical of Johnny Manzeil's partying, and I can't say I blame him, but more important is that Quinn would know. ...

I have to wonder if going to Seattle was the best move for Terrell Pryor. The team is saying despite some bad throws early, he's improved in camp. But Seattle has no less than five QB's (BJ Daniels and Keith Price the other two, Price won't make the cut), and Wilson is cemented as the starter, with Jackson cemented as his backup. Pryor could make the team, and play some trick plays or lineup as TE, as other teams have said he has a receiver's touch. (As a snarky aside to this, the Seahawks are Rush Limbaugh's nightmare team, with all five QB's of African American heritage. :eek:) .

My take is Manzeil is a project, but he will likely start. That should help him learn if it does not break him. And he has a lot to learn, and to learn about how to learn.

Pryor is making strides and good impressions in Seattle. And Wilson is helping, as the article below explains. Seattle has already released undrafted FA QB Keith Price for the UW, as you predicted. Wilson and TJAX are fixtures, but Seattle has to look for a future backup QB, as TJAX is aging a bit, though playing at a high level now. So Pryor is really fighting for the 3rd spot with BJ Daniels. And Pryor just might win that battle. It all depends on preseason performances. Here is the Seattle Times article describing Pryor's improvements... Seattle Times - Jerry Brewer

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
What you guys think? Could RGIII bring the WASHINGTON REDSKINS back to the playoffs?
Hail to the REDSKINS, hope for a fully recovered RGIII...

:D

Hypos... instead of truly helping them respectively pay repair or something for the genocide on the native americans, they (whoever came up with that topic years ago) debate names/name rights of a sports organization. Oh my...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Always defended RGIII.... He actually played better on one leg than newly (for a short while) hyped Glennon of TB.
If he´s fully recovered, he could do great things for DA REDSKINS. :D

BTW, how about DA BEARS? Isn´t that offending to bears? Where is PETA??

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Always defended RGIII.... He actually played better on one leg than newly (for a short while) hyped Glennon of TB.
If he´s fully recovered, he could do great things for DA REDSKINS. :D

BTW, how about DA BEARS? Isn´t that offending to bears? Where is PETA??

Exactly.

I wondering when the coalition of drug addicts are going to turn up the heat on the San Diego Chargers.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh my... Laughing my *** off.

Jim Gray, the meaning of the word Oklahoma... It's Choctaw for "Red People."

The literal translation for name 'Oklahoma' is "Red People.":D

This is so good....

Looking for to the uber-consistent Harry Reid to demand the State of Oklahoma change their offensive name.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What you guys think? Could RGIII bring the WASHINGTON REDSKINS back to the playoffs?
Hail to the REDSKINS, hope for a fully recovered RGIII...

RGIII, yes, could bring them back. The present O-Line, NO! Outside of LT Williams, the OLine sucks. Keeping RG healthy depends on those guys up front. But OL draft picks the past few years could help. Bleacher Report has a brief analysis (& ranking) of that group here: BR's power ranking OL depth... an abysmal 30th of the 32 teams. Not a laughing matter, unless you are a 'Boys fan.

on3m@n@rmy said:
RGIII, yes, could bring them back. The present O-Line, NO! Outside of LT Williams, the OLine sucks. Keeping RG healthy depends on those guys up front. But OL draft picks the past few years could help. Bleacher Report has a brief analysis (& ranking) of that group here: BR's power ranking OL depth... an abysmal 30th of the 32 teams. Not a laughing matter, unless you are a 'Boys fan.

Damn Panthers have both worst receiving core and worst O Line.

Fortunately for them they have a quarterback that can carry them (to a point) and a very good defense.

Jags have similarly bad oline and receiving core though unfortunately for them, they suck everywhere else too.

I see some positives for the JAGS and Panthers this season despite what the current reps are.

I'm really watching the JAGS this season. They could surprise. Made some good moves in FA and the draft that should make them competitive. But some of those FA moves (e.g. Clemmons and Bryant) are at positions they will have to continue to address as those two are aging a bit and may be near the end of their prime.

Well, that is the current Carolina rep. But for Carolina last season, we saw evidence of a maturing of Cam Newton. That maturing is continuing this offseason, as he is saying all the right things about his team's OL and WR deficiencies and how he is taking this upon himself. In his mind they are not deficiencies, as he thinks that rep is an outsider's view. Me, not being inside Panther Nation, I can't say how good that group of WRs and OL are. But as a Seahawk insider, I have witnessed a few years of pundits saying the Hawks had no WRs but knowing all the while about the Hawks WR depth (e.g. Tate - who's gone now, Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, and other FA pickups). That Hawks group got the bit between their teeth and got the job done. Now I see the same attitude in Carolina. So watch out NFC South. The Panthers are close to breaking out. The same goes for the Panther OLine, who have some good, young, fairly inexperienced guys who should continue to get better. And if THAT happens then the NFCS really better watch out with that Panther defense coupled with a productive offense. The word coming out of the Panther camp is that the WR corp really does have the bit between their teeth.

Alpe d'Huez said:
• It's peculiar that the Native Americans are divided on this, but not harshly so. Some are definitely offended, others still have schools that use the beloved patriot moniker. But it's mostly the white man making a big fuss, either to stop it, or defend it.

• When a Native American leader of stature finally gets the attention of the media and gives a compelling argument against the name, that may be the death knell for the name. But who is this person? Right now, no one. .

I was directed to this piece (it's quite a read, but worth it) on the subject via another forum I frequent:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/01/03/why-we-still-mourn-wounded-knee

I agree it's got to the point that it's not longer a matter of if, but when.

They (Washington) could look on it as an opportunity to refresh the franchise, if they so chose.

Good article. I actually read all of it. Referencing what I was saying before, when someone like Jacqueline Keeler gets the attention of mainstream media the change will come. Or if she, or someone like her can publicly confront Daniel Snyder, he won't have that much of a defense and start to rethink this.

As to RGIII, presuming his knee is fine, he should have a very good year. He just needs to not run quite as much as his rookie year, run less read options, and not force the ball like he was doing last year. With his arm and deep field accuracy, if he can just be mobile like Russell Wilson he could have a great season.

As to Manzeil, I too imagine he'll start, unless he shows in the preseason he just doesn't have it, at all. I mean, he's the face of the franchise like it or not, so...

TRENDING THREADS