• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
purcell said:
Seattle winning today was not good for family harmony in my home.

My wife and one of my daughters are Seahawks fans. I am a Cardinals fan and we have tickets to the game next weekend.

It will lead to much trash talking, and inevitable "I told you so'" next week.

It would have been much better for family peace if the Seahawks had had the good grace to lose today.

Sounds like you have the same problem that Green Bay and Dallas will have.
Foxxy can describe how Denver will deal with it.

The kickoff at the start of the Cowboys-Eagles game was a huge play. The Dallas defence adjusted to the hurry up offence by noticably limping and waving their hands around. The offensive line gave Romo time (maybe the longish break after the Bear game helped Romo as well). Dallas go from out of the playoffs to 3rd, swapping places with Philly (at least at present)

Another huge game next week against Indy, but of course the big clash of the week is the Cards versus the Seahawks. It must be the time the Cards are found out, right?

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
The kickoff at the start of the Cowboys-Eagles game was a huge play. The Dallas defence adjusted to the hurry up offence by noticably limping and waving their hands around. The offensive line gave Romo time (maybe the longish break after the Bear game helped Romo as well). Dallas go from out of the playoffs to 3rd, swapping places with Philly (at least at present)

Another huge game next week against Indy, but of course the big clash of the week is the Cards versus the Seahawks. It must be the time the Cards are found out, right?

I think " found out" is really insulting to the Cards, and overstating a really basic issue. They have gone 7-0 at home, they are the best team in the NFL to this point in the season and they are the first team to qualify for the playoffs. My St be an illusion. Utter nonsense.

That said, at this point in the season I am looking at any game the Cards win as a bonus given that with the number of injuries they have their starting QB next week will be a third string recently converted from Offensive line layer and the back-up QB to him is an amateur signed to a contract recently to qualify to play.

Any more injuries and they are going to be calling up high school players.

If they weren't so decimated by injury it would be a very different game next week. As it is ......

What we're going to "find out" next week is that Arizona QB Ryan Lindley is not very good, which is why he spent most of the season on the practice squad, and that Seattle's defense really is as powerful as everyone says they are.

Had the Cardinals been near full strength, heck, even with Drew Stanton, the game would be very competitive.

Say what you will about Carson Palmer, or even Stanton, and I'm reminded of what Bill Parcells said about fans who booed a struggling Phil Simms back in the day: You'll miss him when he's gone.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Drew Brees looked crisp last night in Chicago.
Chicago's offense looked embarrassed to be there (or should have).
New Orleans may actually pull a playoff game victory...but Drew's road will lead to Seattle.

Survival: AZ. I don’t think a Cardinal win is out of the question, but of the teams I have left to pick from, this is the best choice I can see.

Past picks: MIA*, NYJ, MIN, TE, BUF*, OAK, StL*, BAL, JAX, CHI, TB*, WASH, ATL*, CAR*, SF

Elimination. The following teams are left: NE, DEN, GB, PHI

Well, I have to eliminate DEN and PHI, leaving NE and GB as my SB picks, though I really like SE at this point.

Edit: So I only eliminate one this week? OK, have to say goodby to Philly, which doesn't look likely even to make the postseason.

It looks very much like, for only the third time since the NFL went to a 16 game schedule, an 11 win team will not make the postseason. And the odd man out would probably be the Eagles. AZ has already won 11, SE is headed there. GB and Det are both 10-4, and play TB and Chi, respectively, this week. Dallas has a tough game vs. Indy this week, but finishes at Washington (though they did lose to Washington earlier). The Eagles have two easy games remaining, Washington and NYG, but probably winning them both isn’t going to do it. They lose vs. the other teams on tie-breakers.

OTOH, Dallas might be better off not winning the division, but going in as a WC. The Cowboys are 7-0 on the road, but only 3-4 at home. There are only three teams in the NFC with worse home records, and Dallas’ home record is the same as the NY Giants, three of the four teams in the horrible NFC South, and the Rams. And yet only one team in the conference has a better overall record. Crazy. It’s not likely, but I believe it’s possible for them to finish with a losing record at home (if they lose to or tie Indy this Sunday) yet get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. I’ll bet that would be a first.

For Elimination Football® this week:

Only pick 1 this week:

Broncos

They've had a couple of key injuries and Peyton until proven otherwise is living under "Foxxy's Curse", so . . sorry Denver fans, you're not going to win the Superbowl this year.

To add to my list:

NYG / Washington / NYJ / Dallas /Jacksonville / Minnesota / St Louis / Oakland / Miami / Tampa Bay / Atlanta / Pittsburgh / Cleveland / Cincinnati / Carolina / Indianapolis / Tennessee / Chicago / Houston / Detroit / Buffalo / San Francisco / New Orleans / Philadelphia / Kansas City / Arizona / Baltimore / San Diego

That leaves me with:

Packers / Seahawks / Patriots

For Reverse Survival Football™ (Loser Bowl):

Cardinals

Anyone would find it tough against Seattle defence at the moment, with their 4th string QB I think it will be close to impossible for them to win.

My current score: 4

Previous highest score: 8

Teams used: Titans*, Chargers*, Washington, Jacksonville, Jets(0), Raiders, 49ers, Rams, Buccaneers, Bears, Texans*, Lions, Panthers, Bills, Dolphins

Elimination Football®. I now have left:

NE, Indy, Denver, GB

I too wish I had not eliminated Seattle, and now must ride GB all the way to the Super Bowl. I'll now eliminate Denver. Though I'm having a hard time seeing Indy and their porous defense and weak running going into Denver or NE and winning, my gut also tells me Denver just won't get there. I don't trust PM to string together enough good games against good competition, and I think Denver will feel too much pressure to "finally" win for him.

For Survival Football™.

Indy, KC, Minn, Tenn, NYJ, Dal*, NYG, Wash*, St.L, Chi, Cin*, Det, Phi*, Buffalo, SF. This week: Tampa Bay. I'm currently 11-4, and three of those losses involved Dallas games. Crazy!

Tonight's Game:TEN@JAX I won't be watching. Will anyone?

Grew up watching and playing football. Now I haven't watched a game in a few years. It's just a corporate orgy designed to separate people from their money.

The commercials are overwhelming. The number of reviewed calls is tedious. The announcers are almost universally annoying (Gruden, Aikman, Jaws, etc.). The games are slow and scripted.

And jeez...if I have a spare four hours I'd rather go ride my bike, walk my dogs, take a nap, or work on the house with my wife. I honestly don't know how people find the time to watch this league.

I watch a lot of pro cycling, a bit of ice hockey, a bit of international soccer, and that's it for viewing. My life is already busy as and I don't even have children yet.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
nayr497 said:
Grew up watching and playing football.

Great. :)

nayr497 said:
Now I haven't watched a game in a few years. It's just a corporate orgy designed to separate people from their money.

Absolutely agree.

The game was spoiled inch by inch since at least the beginning of the FA phase 1994. by both, the owners and players...
Great on you stopping years ago. I gave up my NFL addiction for good just some few weeks ago...

nayr497 said:
The games are ... scripted.

At least some are rigged. No doubt about that.

We just don´t know the percentage, as we don´t know the percentage of doped up pro cyclists. Both numbers can be anywhere between 10 and 90%...

nayr497 said:
I watch a lot of pro cycling, a bit of ice hockey, a bit of international soccer, and that's it for viewing. My life is already busy as and I don't even have children yet.

While pro cycling cetainly is in a better shape (even though most clinicans would not agree), pro soccer & ice hockey (NHL) is the same BS as NFL only with a different name tapped on the logos.

Alpe d'Huez said:
What brings you here then?

Free speech? ;)
I opened the NFL thread a few years ago for any topic related to it, so I think it´s ok if he writes his opinion here.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TEN @ JAX - It's a pity they can't both lose.

Elimination Football:

Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers, Bengals, Saints, Seattle!, Iggles, Colts, Lions, Steelers, KC, Bills, Ravens,

That leaves me with - Cards, Packers, Pats. edit - Broncos and Bills (God knows how I missed ditching them).

Bills, and also the Ravens sadly added to the eliminated. It seems that I should have only dropped one last week, and should have three teams left now. I now have Cards, Packers and Pats left.

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, JAX, BUF, DET, WSH, ATL, MIA, KC

Rest to follow...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
At least some are rigged. No doubt about that.
Even I don't deny this. I don't think it's as bad as you. But I know it happens. There are enough desperate players (coaches and refs too) enough money riding on it, it's just inevitable. It's not to the level of Tim Donaghy and the NBA, but that's a good example of what's likely going on in all major sports to some degree or another. The NBA called him a pathological liar, wanted him tarred and feathered. And yet, the FBI ultimately determined that everything he told them was consistent, and factual.

I will be on my deathbed still believing Mike Vanderjagt missed that kick in the AFC divisional game against the Steelers on purpose. I'm sure there are other plays and games like this we don't know about. I'm old enough to remember some serious squabble about people saying the Colts threw Super Bowl 3 in order to grow the league, and that the Craig Morton was paid off to play as horrible as he did in Super Bowl XII so "America's Team" could win the big one. Nonsense? You tell me.

While pro cycling cetainly is in a better shape (even though most clinicans would not agree), pro soccer & ice hockey (NHL) is the same BS as NFL only with a different name tapped on the logos.
I think the real difference is that cycling has had most of it's warts exposed. Anyone who watches cycling and doesn't think riders like Chris Horner doped, or Tinkoff is a crook, isn't being honest with themselves.

Similar things exist in the NFL. We just don't see them often. But they appear. Things like Spygate, the Saints bounty scandal. Everyone knows there is widespread steroid use. It's just obvious. Plus there are other "legal" drugs frequently used. Toridol for example. There are more issues we don't know about.

Watch for the fun of it folks. It's like this place, really. If you get too caught up into thinking it has more meaning than your real life, you're going to regret it. No one gets old and says, "I wish I had watched more sports on TV and posted on internet message boards."

Free speech? ;)
I'm good with that.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Tim Donaghy and the NBA

The lone scapegoat. Hang him high, go on with business as usual.
With veteran cycling fans it doesn´t work anymore... but in every other case it does pretty well (especially in things that really matter; politics).
That´s the reason I think cycling is better off. The majority of followers don´t buy BS stories anymore...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Watch for the fun of it folks.

Would like to, but can´t take it anymore... thus I stopped.

Alpe d'Huez said:
It's like this place, really. If you get too caught up into thinking it has more meaning than your real life, you're going to regret it. No one gets old and says, "I wish I had watched more sports on TV and posted on internet message boards."

Amen. 100% agree.

All the other issues you brought up we discussed before. Personally I think Vanderjagts shank was the most obvious foul play of them all.

A close second is the 11-10 SD-PIT game a few years ago. I mentioned it somewhere in the middle of this thread...

The titans and jaguars really played some football.... And the winner of the worst team in the NFL goes tooooooo:

The Tennese Titans!:D

Elimination Football.
Torebear - Oak, Jax, Tenn, KC, Hou, TB, Stl, Wash, NYJ, Min, Cle, Chi, Atl, NYG, Car, SF, Cin, SD, BUF, SEA, NO, MIA, IND, PIT, DAL, Bal, Ari, Phi New pick:Green Bay

Lions, Broncos and Pats left.

For Survival Football™.
Torebear - NY Giants, Chicago*, Pitt*, Tenn, Ari, Dal*, NYJ, SD, Stl*, SF*, Cin*, JAX, WAS, BUF, Hou New pick: TB

As for this talk of drugs and match fixing. The NFL is a business promoting family values! How could they allow such a thing to happen!?:eek:

Seriously, from my understanding of US culture, I find it quite likely steroids and other drugs are prevalent. However I think match fixing would be Illegal in the US, so I have trouble seeing no one spilling the beans relating to the NFL. There are so few games in a season, so a lot of things could awaken the suspicions of coaches, team mates etc.

AFAIK the NBA has a lot of games, so it would IMHO be easier to get away with something there.

Anyway I'm looking forward to see this Jimmy Clausen fellow start at QB for the bears. Hopefully he is not so good that the bears win.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
The titans and jaguars really played some football.... And the winner of the worst team in the NFL goes tooooooo:

The Tennese Titans!:D

Elimination Football.
Torebear - Oak, Jax, Tenn, KC, Hou, TB, Stl, Wash, NYJ, Min, Cle, Chi, Atl, NYG, Car, SF, Cin, SD, BUF, SEA, NO, MIA, IND, PIT, DAL, Bal, Ari, Phi New pick:Green Bay

Lions, Broncos and Pats left.

For Survival Football™.
Torebear - NY Giants, Chicago*, Pitt*, Tenn, Ari, Dal*, NYJ, SD, Stl*, SF*, Cin*, JAX, WAS, BUF, Hou New pick: TB

As for this talk of drugs and match fixing. The NFL is a business promoting family values! How could they allow such a thing to happen!?:eek:

Seriously, from my understanding of US culture, I find it quite likely steroids and other drugs are prevalent. However I think match fixing would be Illegal in the US, so I have trouble seeing no one spilling the beans relating to the NFL. There are so few games in a season, so a lot of things could awaken the suspicions of coaches, team mates etc.

AFAIK the NBA has a lot of games, so it would IMHO be easier to get away with something there.

Anyway I'm looking forward to see this Jimmy Clausen fellow start at QB for the bears. Hopefully he is not so good that the bears win.

I think "fixing" is a term that would apply to people more outside the NFL trying to control betting. The NFL prints money for the owners and players alike and the US Congress would be down their throat pretty quick if it drifted up into any level of management.
Does that mean there isn't cheating? Ask Sean Payton...he had some time off to consider what is/isn't acceptable. If you can't find him ring up Bill Billechek in New Angleland...he's into esoteric game "research" and had to write a check over it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TEN @ JAX - It's a pity they can't both lose.

Elimination Football:

Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers, Bengals, Saints, Seattle!, Iggles, Colts, Lions, Steelers, KC, Bills, Ravens,

That leaves me with - Cards, Packers, Pats. edit - Broncos and Bills (God knows how I missed ditching them).

Bills, and also the Ravens sadly added to the eliminated. It seems that I should have only dropped one last week, and should have three teams left now. I now have Cards, Packers and Pats left.

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, JAX, BUF, DET, WSH, ATL, MIA, KC

Rest to follow...

PHI @ WSH - Banker of the day :eek:
SD @ SF - On recent form, have to go for Bolts, who of course will let me down.
MIN @ MIA - Looks pretty much a home banker.
BAL @ HOU - A must win game for the Ravens.
DET @ CHI - Can't imagine that dropping Cutler will do the trick.
CLE @ CAR - Should be a home win.
ATL @ NO - Saints might finally explode.
GB @ TB - They can't play like last week again, away banker.
KC @ PIT - Steelers to keep rolling at home.
NE @ NYJ - Away banker.
NYG @ STL - Could be the closest game of the day, Rams to edge it.
BUF @ OAK - As much as I would love to see the Raiders win, I can't pick them.
IND @ DAL - Another real close call - which Cowboys will turn up?
SEA @ ARI - I would pick the Cards but for all their injuries.
DEN @ CIN - Should be a Broncs win.

Jesus, I've picked 10 aways. :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
ToreBear said:
However I think match fixing would be Illegal in the US, so I have trouble seeing no one spilling the beans relating to the NFL.

If the law hasn´t changed since Parrish wrote his book "They call it a game", then match fixing is not illegal. The owners back then were clever enough to write "entertainment only" on the backside of game-day tickets. Making them not responsible for/if match fixing becomes known. IOW: No money back for the cheated fan who thought all things were about sports competition...

May somebody here knows what´s written on tickets now (i mean the small letters on the backside that basically declare "You fan have no rights once you enter this stadium, but spend your dollars").

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I just stole this, I assume it's correct.

WEEK 16 PLAYOFF SCENARIOS

Patriots clinch AFC HFA with win if Broncos lose.

Patriots clinch first-round-bye with win.
Patriots clinch first-round-bye if Colts, Bengals, Steelers, and Ravens all lose.
Broncos clinch first-round-bye with win.

Bengals clinch AFC North with win if both Steelers and Ravens lose.

Bengals clinch playoff spot with win.
Steelers clinch playoff spot with win.
Ravens clinch playoff spot with win if Steelers and Bengals both lose.
Ravens clinch playoff spot with win if Chiefs and Chargers both lose.

Texans, Dolphins, Browns eliminated with loss.
Texans, Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, Chargers, and Bills all eliminated if Bengals, Ravens, Steelers, and Niners all win.

Cardinals clinch NFC HFA with win.

Lions clinch first-round-bye with win if Packers and Cowboys lose.

Lions clinch NFC North with win if Packers lose.
Cowboys clinch NFC East with win if Eagles lose.
Saints clinch NFC South with win if Panthers lose.

Cowboys clinch playoff spot with win if Packers and Lions both lose.
Seahawks clinch playoff spot with win if Eagles, Lions, or Packers lose.
Packers clinch playoff spot with win if Eagles or Cowboys lose.

Eagles eliminated with loss if Cowboys win.
Lions, Packers, Seahawks, and Cowboys cannot be eliminated in week sixteen.
Don't even ****ing ask about the NFC South.

I'm not picking all winners this week, but will instead focus on a few key games:

PHI@WAS: The Eagles must win, but they may also be really on edge, and in Washington, I'm sure the Skins would love nothing more than to take them out.

SD@SF - This is interesting because the Chargers needed a win playing Denver last week, at home, and were flat as week-old beer. But SF is the real question mark. They weren't blown out against Seattle like some expected. But what do they have to play for? They're out of the playoffs, their coach is toast and half the players hate him. Plus the Levi's Stadium Silicon Valley crowds are fairly quiet and leave early to beat the traffic.

ATL@NO - This really looks like a game where the Saints could falter late. They've done it so many times at home this year. Why not again, now? They have a poor secondary, and poor pass rush. Matt Ryan may carve that up. But the Falcons are the same weak defense.

KC@PITT - Talk about two schitzo teams. Both have looked great, and awful at times. Can KC go the entire season without throwing a single TD to a wide receiver?

SEA@ARI - With Lindley, I won't be surprised if Arizona doesn't score a single offensive point that isn't off turnovers. Better put, a great deal of 3 and out's, and the offense rarely in Seattle's half of the field. Arizona's defense is stellar, and this is at home, but this looks like a 16-3 type score to me.

IND@DAL - This is the classic type of game the Cowboys lose. They really need to win, the Colts almost have the third seed in the AFC locked up. But Murray is hurt, and it's the Cowboys destiny to fold here.

DEN@CIN - Some are saying this is a big matchup. But I see Denver winning easily. The Bengals defense has been a big letdown this year, and while some teams have thrown well against the Broncos, I don't trust Andy Dalton.

That's seven games, and in six of them I'm going with the road team.

College bowl games today were who cares bad. Stadiums were empty. Just entire sections of stands with nary a soul in them.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Color me gobsmacked! :eek:

Of course, having them miss two short FG's and only giving away 10 yds in pens where we've given away over 1000 this season helped. They had over 100 yds in pens, they were fcuking up just the way we normally do. Even then, we still tried to give it away with 5 seconds to go. It wouldn't have surprised any of us if the Hail Mary had succeeded.

Anyway, an utterly pointless win, except for the small satisfaction of ruining their season. :D

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
What the --uck is wrong with these Chargers!!!
Come on!!!
Go Chargers

I need to see a home game before I go back to the east coast. I see these clods in Los Angeles before I can sit down at the Murph(qualllcompt)

TRENDING THREADS