• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 184 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Word is that he will become the highest paid QB in the NFL next season, with a multi-year contract at more than $20 million a year. I know one poster here who saw this coming.

Let me guess: The one who predicts a massive PM meltdown since the last one in February 2014?

I dont have any faith in the Colts defense, so I think the PM meltdown will come next week against the Patriots (again), or if Denver somehow gets past them, Seattle (again).

While I agree about sports pay being as absurd as the rest of income inequality in the US, Russell Wilson showed once again how great he really is. Worth $20m a year? No one is.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I dont have any faith in the Colts defense, so I think the PM meltdown will come next week against the Patriots (again), or if Denver somehow gets past them, Seattle (again).

While I agree about sports pay being as absurd as the rest of income inequality in the US, Russell Wilson showed once again how great he really is. Worth $20m a year? No one is.

The Colts held Dalton without his brothers to some 150 yards during the RS... So I see no reason why they shouldn´t be able to hold nervous playoff Peyton to 200 yards. I give them 50 yards HFA, otherwise 150 would be the right call. :D

Tonight is the night! :) (My rant against greedy PM is waiting. Can´t really hold it any longer. It must be tonight. Imagine a 0-72 SB blow-out vs the Seahawks. No one wants this.)

I am worth 20 million... but not in one year but circa 13-15 lifetimes (if we assume there is no inflation)!

No one wants a Seattle-Denver Super Bowl. That would be awful.

John Harbaugh is upset with New England using last second eligibility declarations by players. Typical Belicheck trickery. But Tom
Brady is correct, it was within the rules. That was a very good game though, and as I saw it, the AFC Championship, as either team could beat Indy or Denver. Merckx is right in his observation. NE could not move the Raven front 7 to run, but even though everyone knew Brady would pass, they still couldn't stop him. And I would argue Brady had an average game. Revis and Browner (hurt late, but seems okay), were both sub average. Yet they still won. Danny Amondela is really coming onto his own now, and that throw from Edleman to him was something!

Hoping some Seattle residents can give updates on Max Unger. They can win without him, and he walked off the field under his own power, but he's a key part of their OL.

An hour out from Dallas-Green Bay. Could be the most interesting game this week. I'm thinking Seattle would love another shot at Dallas.

Don't care much about the other game. I'll be cheering for Indy, but think Denver will win a high scoring game, with several mistakes. Perfect weather will help Manning. I'm sure New England would love to play Denver and get revenge for last year's game, when the Pats didnt have some key players.

Buffalo just hired Rex Ryan as HC. Their defense has to love this, and may improve to one of the best in the league, but unless they get a top flight OC, and a QB who can think on his own, they may not improve much.

Props to Rex though. He didn't burn any bridges leaving NY, and had a lot of folks lobbying for him.

This means (to me) Shanahan is the top candidate for Chicago.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
You know what, I've changed my mind.

I want Dallas to win and then go to Seattle and beat them in their 12th man delusion. (Dressing up like Oakland fans in chartreuse and blue is really lame) If we have to have a massive fan base of bandwagon homers going to the Super Bowl, then I want it to be the oldest bandwagon fan base in the US. GO DALLAS!!!

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
4ol.0.gif

Maybe I'm overrating the Broncos but I think they blow out the Colts.

Better offense, better defense.

The Broncos are loaded. The O-Line is nothing special but they have probably the best receiving groupin the league an above average running game, a good defensive front with 2 pro bowl players - D Ware and Von Miller, and some good other pieces like Knighton, and probably the league's most underrated secondary with Harris, Talib as corners and Cj Ward as safety.

That's before we look at the qb who is Peyton Manning. He has been a little poor recently but he has had the week to recover (remember, Broncos had their bye in week 3 so had 14 straight weeks). and his strengh has always been preperation.

And the Broncos are at home.

The Colts are a team carried by Luck, with a decent punter, a good cornerback and a few decent receivers who are known names because they have Luck throwing them the ball.

They weren't all that on the road this season, beating 1 winning team ( Texans) and losing to the 3 playoff teams they faced - Broncos, Steelers, Cowboys (blown out in the last 2). Aside from that they played some really poor teams away.

Their running game is poor too. Without Luck this team was 2-14 and hasn't improved much since.

And last year the Broncos defense really turned up for the playoffs (well the AFC ones anyway), and is of course way better this year, though the offense quite a bit worse.

In summary, while the Broncos can choke, especially if Manning plays bad, I think they go into the game with every conceivable advantage.

The Hitch said:
Maybe I'm overrating the Broncos but I think they blow out the Colts.

Better offense, better defense.

The Broncos are loaded. The O-Line is nothing special but they have probably the best receiving groupin the league an above average running game, a good defensive front with 2 pro bowl players - D Ware and Von Miller, and some good other pieces like Knighton, and probably the league's most underrated secondary with Harris, Talib as corners and Cj Ward as safety.

That's before we look at the qb who is Peyton Manning. He has been a little poor recently but he has had the week to recover (remember, Broncos had their bye in week 3 so had 14 straight weeks). and his strengh has always been preperation.

And the Broncos are at home.

The Colts are a team carried by Luck, with a decent punter, a good cornerback and a few decent receivers who are known names because they have Luck throwing them the ball.

They weren't all that on the road this season, beating 1 winning team ( Texans) and losing to the 3 playoff teams they faced - Broncos, Steelers, Cowboys (blown out in the last 2). Aside from that they played some really poor teams away.

Their running game is poor too. Without Luck this team was 2-14 and hasn't improved much since.

And last year the Broncos defense really turned up for the playoffs (well the AFC ones anyway), and is of course way better this year, though the offense quite a bit worse.

In summary, while the Broncos can choke, especially if Manning plays bad, I think they go into the game with every conceivable advantage.

Oooops.

10 characters.

Amsterhammer said:
It looks like the curse of foxxy has well and truly struck.:eek:

After fifteen centuries, a new Prophet has arisen. He is the Prophet Foxxy of Schadenfreude!

Foxxy declared, "Repent you Manning supporters, because the Day of Doom has come for Big Brother." And Foxxy declared, "Big Brother must die, 23-10."

And it came to pass that Manning did not come to pass, and so he passed away.

And the Prophet Foxxy declared, “Yea, Verily I say to you, Sir Russell the Nimble shall be richer by millions and millions.”

And Sir Russell came to pass, and it came to pass.

And the Prophet Foxxy declared, “The Mighty Temple of the NFL is destined to fall, as the Evil Money Changers bring Death and Destruction.”

And it will come to pass.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
After fifteen centuries, a new Prophet has arisen. He is the Prophet Foxxy of Schadenfreude!

Foxxy declared, "Repent you Manning supporters, because the Day of Doom has come for Big Brother." And Foxxy declared, "Big Brother must die, 23-10."

And the Prophet Foxxy declared, “Yea, Verily I say to you, Sir Russell the Nimble shall be richer by millions and millions.”

And the Prophet Foxxy declared, “The Mighty Temple of the NFL is destined to fall, as the Evil Money Changers bring Death and Destruction.”

'Like' 10 char

Ha! Great post by Merckx! I was thinking the exact same thing! Brilliant foresight by Swami Foxxy!

This has to be the end of Manning's career. He just got old. With all the free agency issues the Broncos will have next year...

Still, big props to Indy for playing a great game. Their D really stepped up.

As to the other game, Aaron Rodgers played great, but with that Dez Bryant once can only reflect on the Detroit game. The football gods giveth, the football gods taketh away.

Since at the start of the season I predicted (one time at least!) Seattle vs. Indianapolis, I'll stick with these two for the SB, with Seattle winning.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
As to the other game, Aaron Rodgers played great, but with that Dez Bryant once can only reflect on the Detroit game. The football gods giveth, the football gods taketh away.
Or more accurately, the football refs giveth, the football refs taketh away.:D

It took the Vikings/New Orleans game in the NFC Championship a few years back to get the overtime rues changed. For the better in my opinion.

Maybe the Dez Bryant play will cause the NFL to change the rules so that if possession is established by the receiver, it can't be negated if the ball comes loose when it touches the field.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Ha! Great post by Merckx! I was thinking the exact same thing! Brilliant foresight by Swami Foxxy!

This has to be the end of Manning's career. He just got old. With all the free agency issues the Broncos will have next year...

Still, big props to Indy for playing a great game. Their D really stepped up.

Since at the start of the season I predicted (one time at least!) Seattle vs. Indianapolis, I'll stick with these two for the SB, with Seattle winning.

Shall I declare myself as the god? No, OFC not, I am not the god, I am just one of many. ;)

How can I be the chosen only one? I am just the one using common sense...

Ok, guys, I am deadly fully complete & final drunk, winning numerous 1:3 bets, and can declare: "I told you so". :D

Gimme 12 hours to get sober please! My final rant will be complete! PM stands for all thats wrong about my favo & most loved country, the USA. I will declare the reasons why, and why today had to be like it was... :D

The end was clear and near, there was no other possible ending since I promised it since the first snap of the last SB!

Love ya all, and thanks for the flowers that you finally believe what I say... :)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Now it looks like everyone wants to see Seattle get beat by the AFC...They still have to get past the best QB in the league and Aaron is all of that. The Hawks look to lose their fastest receiver and maybe their center as well; making it tough to match points with GB so nothings a given.
As for the hysteria about PM...it didn't take a crystal ball to see the arm going. I mentioned the ducks he was launching last season and his lack of pace. So Elway paid him a buttload of money to win it this year? He'll retire and the hatred can focus on the next failed hero. At least Luck smiles and enjoys the game like Flacco and Wilson. It'll be good that they get paid.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Gimme 12 hours to get sober please! My final rant will be complete! PM stands for all thats wrong about my favo & most loved country, the USA. I will declare the reasons why, and why today had to be like it was...
Can't wait to hear it!
Oldman said:
The Hawks look to lose their fastest receiver and maybe their center as well.
Paul Richardson is definitely out with a torn ACL. But he was their 3rd receiver and they played quite well without him. Max Unger I would be a little more worried if he can't play, same with Byron Maxwell. Here's the latest update I could find.
As for the hysteria about PM...it didn't take a crystal ball to see the arm going.
No it didn't. And during the off season I mentioned Denver looked like a team that would start great, but lose in the post-season. But you have to give Foxxy credit for his being as accurate as he was on some of these specific predictions. Humorously uncanny!

I'm sticking with an upset for next week, and Indy beating New England. This also would make a great matchup between the two best young QBs in football. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck, who have contrasting styles. Out goes Brady vs. Manning, in comes Wilson vs. Luck. I like it.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Can't wait to hear it!

Paul Richardson is definitely out with a torn ACL. But he was their 3rd receiver and they played quite well without him. Max Unger I would be a little more worried if he can't play, same with Byron Maxwell. Here's the latest update I could find.

No it didn't. And during the off season I mentioned Denver looked like a team that would start great, but lose in the post-season. But you have to give Foxxy credit for his being as accurate as he was on some of these specific predictions. Humorously uncanny!

I'm sticking with an upset for next week, and Indy beating New England. This also would make a great matchup between the two best young QBs in football. Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck, who have contrasting styles. Out goes Brady vs. Manning, in comes Wilson vs. Luck. I like it.

Andrew Luck has the talent to score on Seattle if his receivers don't drop balls...the effort against Denver would be a fail.
Both teams need to get there but some new blood would be good for the league even though it means they get paid much more than Merkcx and Foxxy would want.
I'm more chapped about hedge fund managers that trade illegally and steal billions than NFL QBs but that's a totally different subject.

Peyton Manning tore his quad muscle a month ago.

So, does this explain everything, or nothing? Even Manning doesn't imply that's the simple answer, saying he didn't play well the second half of the season (which includes before the injury).

Manning's numbers yesterday on the surface look okay, but a closer look reveals they're padded, and anyone who saw the game knows he played atrocious, for whatever the reason. He was 2-of-12 passing for 49 yards on passes over 15 yards, and just 6-of-21 for 107 yards on passes greater than 5 yards. Would a healthy quad made all the difference?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
since you asked Max Unger looks to be okay today. Full report here:
http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Three-injury-updates-from-Pete-Carroll-on-710-ESPN-Seattle-Max-Unger-looks-to-be-OK/1d450497-0427-4ac0-8b32-b7b008ed412d
Cable says backup C Pat Lewis is pretty stout, but Max line calling is much better.

One of the reasons Wilson wasn't forced to scramble. His downfield passing was all spot on and once that started Carolina was pretty much backtracking. While Wilson's final numbers weren't earth shaking his 3rd down passing efficiency of 8 for 8 can be partially attributed to having his line back together....just in time.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
But you have to give Foxxy credit for his being as accurate as he was on some of these specific predictions. Humorously uncanny!

Thanks once more for the flowers. :)

Yet, it was the ending everybody could have seen. I got fooled for a decade, but no more after last season. If PM couldn´t lead his offense to more than 8 points in the SB with the highest scoring attack ever, how could he do it with an offense that had to regress to the mean? Everything else than a first round exit would have been a major surprise to me.

Oldman said:
I'm more chapped about hedge fund managers that trade illegally and steal billions than NFL QBs but that's a totally different subject.

No doubt about that. But two wrongs don´t make one right. More about that later...

Alpe d'Huez said:
So, does this explain everything, or nothing?

Nothing. It´s the usual: PMs teams set regular season marks, it´s because of his heroics. If his teams lose in the playoffs, he gets apologized. The media uses the usual suspects: bad defensive play, injuries, weather, everything that excuses PMs choker "ability". The stat heads use the "small sample size" argument. Yet they forget to see what happened in every PM playoff meltdown: Lame ducks off-target (yesterday he overthrew receivers a lot)...

Let´s face it: PM never was, never will be the greatest QB ever. A man that is praised for his heroics loses every year in a bad bad way in the playoffs. And the worst: He did that mostly in the first round with his team being a major HFA favourite. How can such a QB be the GOAT? A QB that melts under pressure every single time (yes, also in the SB year when Grossman, a wide wide open Wayne, and his defense saved his ass). In reality, he is a playoff goat. ;)

Like the USA, PM gives great expectations. But when it´s time to deliver, the ugly face is seen.
Like the leaders of big business, he is a overpaid guy. Like the leaders of politics he gives (wrong) hopes and every single time he dashed this hopes. Like politicans, he gets "re-elected" (speak a new multi million dollar contract at the expense of others) even after he fooled everybody more than once, twice, three times...
But like the USA, he still is above most of the rest (as I found out the hard way, how us germans got insulted by our politicans for speaking free). But as the USA isn´t gods own country, PM isn´t the greatest. He is just a good QB who made it trou the years. I respect that. But nothing more.

What´s next:
As I said early last year: After the last PM meltdown the future of the franchise is mortgaged (like the USA future is with their massive debt). They signed expensive FAs to get short term success (which never could become reality since PM is the biggest reason for his teams playoff failures). Long after PM is retired (which he shall do in a hurry to prevent more damage for the Broncos organisation), his monster contracts will work against the cap (as the expensive FA signings will). And who will get the blame: Osweiler. I am already sorry for him. The near future (5-10 years) looks dark for the Broncos. Thanks to PM.

A good QB, but the biggest choke artist ever!

TRENDING THREADS