• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 206 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That Eli allegedly wants to be the highest paid player in the league sure does seem like madness, though his bargaining position is not too shabby considering that there's hardly an abundance of NFL-caliber QBs available, should they decide to cut him. Applying the franchise tag wouldn't help in that regard either, as that would still make him the highest paid player. - It's not exactly an easy position for them; Eli certainly does have his flaws in regards to interceptions and brainfarts, but with solid options in both the receiving and runningback department, the Giants offense does have potential, IMHO.

The Jets are just a weird entity in general... scary good defense on paper, especially with the addition of Revis, Cromartie and Leonard Willams, but then you see Sheldon Richardson acting like a moron and getting charged with resisting arrest and several traffic violations in a car that was clocked to 143 mph with a 12 year old kid in it. - It just never seems to calm down.

The Bills' QB-situation is, indeed, plain weird; Matt Cassell, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor... :eek:

The talk is he's likely to get what he wants, or close to it. That is, a contract that's just below Aaron Rodgers, but in line with Roethlesberger, or the guaranteed money that Wilson and Rivers got. I say they're going to pay, because I don't know who else they will get, and they've already hitched their pony to his post and given him receivers to throw to. But here's the rub, he'll be 35 before the end of the season. He has been durable. But will he play another 4 years? At $20m per year, is it worth it?

There's another way of looking at it. The Giants are going to have to rebuild soon. Their chance is that in the next year or two they will somehow come together, hit snake eyes again, and win another Super Bowl. They are going to gamble that it's worth the cost now, knowing they're going to rebuild later. And they'll just have to start that rebuilding with him at the end of his contract, instead of starting it earlier with someone else. As such, they'll pay him. And since he's not like Tom Brady willing to negotiate a team-friendly contract, expect them to pay him way more than he's worth.

Speaking of Tom Brady. That's quite the courtroom mess. The NFL seems to have no answers to the judges incessant questions. As if he were ruling, he'd rule almost entirely for Brady and no suspension. However, this hearing is not about factual evidence, it's about the NFL's ability to rule within the CBA. So one thought is if he rules against the 4 game suspension, it means the CBA isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and the NFL could have grounds for a bigger lawsuit. So he may not be able to do anything other than give a ruling that completely embarrasses the NFL and Goodell, while at the same time upholding the suspension. Some "experts" on NY sports were saying they think the judge would like the sides to settle and reduce the suspension to 1 game for Tom being uncooperative. Not for rule breaking, as the judge can't find anywhere that Tom broke the rules as they were written. But both sides apparently aren't interested at all at even being in the same room. With both Tom and Goodell to appear in court this week, things should get interesting very soon.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
The talk is he's likely to get what he wants, or close to it. That is, a contract that's just below Aaron Rodgers, but in line with Roethlesberger, or the guaranteed money that Wilson and Rivers got. I say they're going to pay, because I don't know who else they will get, and they've already hitched their pony to his post and given him receivers to throw to. But here's the rub, he'll be 35 before the end of the season. He has been durable. But will he play another 4 years? At $20m per year, is it worth it?

There's another way of looking at it. The Giants are going to have to rebuild soon. Their chance is that in the next year or two they will somehow come together, hit snake eyes again, and win another Super Bowl. They are going to gamble that it's worth the cost now, knowing they're going to rebuild later. And they'll just have to start that rebuilding with him at the end of his contract, instead of starting it earlier with someone else. As such, they'll pay him. And since he's not like Tom Brady willing to negotiate a team-friendly contract, expect them to pay him way more than he's worth.

Speaking of Tom Brady. That's quite the courtroom mess. The NFL seems to have no answers to the judges incessant questions. As if he were ruling, he'd rule almost entirely for Brady and no suspension. However, this hearing is not about factual evidence, it's about the NFL's ability to rule within the CBA. So one thought is if he rules against the 4 game suspension, it means the CBA isn't worth the paper it's printed on, and the NFL could have grounds for a bigger lawsuit. So he may not be able to do anything other than give a ruling that completely embarrasses the NFL and Goodell, while at the same time upholding the suspension. Some "experts" on NY sports were saying they think the judge would like the sides to settle and reduce the suspension to 1 game for Tom being uncooperative. Not for rule breaking, as the judge can't find anywhere that Tom broke the rules as they were written. But both sides apparently aren't interested at all at even being in the same room. With both Tom and Goodell to appear in court this week, things should get interesting very soon.

Thought I read that Brady was exactly willing to settle on account of having been uncooperative alone and NFL being reluctant, though your last part seems to indicate this isn't the case?

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

52520Andrew said:
Pretty big Ravens fan here so you will probably see me frequent this thread a lot

In other news, RGIII took an absolute beating last night from Detroit, don't know who all was playing on the O-line as I know Trent Williams was out but it was not pretty. 8 pass attempts from RGIII and he got hit 6 times and got knocked out of the game with a concussion and shoulder stinger.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000513808/article/rgiii-suffers-concussion-shoulder-stinger-vs-lions

I think it's fair to call me an RGIII hater (total "me" guy), and I was shocked that Gruden put him out for another series in that game. What on earth is the point of getting him pounded like that? His answer afterwards had the effect of "football is a tough game and we wanted the offense to get something going".

After what they gave up to get him, they just can't handle him like that. If I'm Snyder or the GM there, I'm not happy about that bit of bluster.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

52520Andrew said:
Pretty big Ravens fan here so you will probably see me frequent this thread a lot

In other news, RGIII took an absolute beating last night from Detroit, don't know who all was playing on the O-line as I know Trent Williams was out but it was not pretty. 8 pass attempts from RGIII and he got hit 6 times and got knocked out of the game with a concussion and shoulder stinger.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000513808/article/rgiii-suffers-concussion-shoulder-stinger-vs-lions

Jesus wept. I completely forgot about the game. :(

Just go with Cousins and be done with it.

Welcome here St. Andrew, and welcome back Big Red and Amster. RGIII did take a major beating. The Skins problem goes beyond Gruden I think. There's got to be more to that organization that's messed up. And if Jesus was watching, he prolly did repeat that action of the shortest verse in the Bible and then turned the TV off. My only comment on the performance of RGIII in that game is this, and I cannot take credit for it, even though we could all see it. NFL network's Shaun O'Hara (ex-Giant OL) was saying RGIII's hammering was as much about RGIII's bad reads and not getting the ball out his hands quicker to the short routes as it was about the poor line blocking. So compare RGIII's performance vs backups Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins, who both played very well, and you have to think RGIII is not just a small part in his problems, he's the major part of his problems. OL has to play better, yes. But RGIII has to play much better. It sure looked to me like they'd be better off with Cousins OR McCoy at the QB spot than RG. BUT.... BUT, I did not pay attention to the line matchups (OL vs DL & blitz packages) to notice if the lines in front of McCoy and Cousins were easier matchups than the OL out there with RGIII had.

Manziel is beginning to make me a believer. He is growing up big time, on and off the field. Skip Bayless put it nicely in a Tweet, like "No more money talk, just money throws". I hope he continues this turnaround. Nothing I'd love more for a guy to get it figured out, make changes in his approach, and get his boat paddling in the right direction. He'd be one of my biggest fans. So, "Go Johnny go, go, go. Johnny be good."

Here's a general statement I'll make about NFL player holdouts. But I'm thinking about one player in particular at the moment. At some point in time an NFL player has to look himself in the mirror and ask himself, "why am I in the NFL?" The answer should be "I love the game and can't be without it".

If money comes before the game, it is time for the player to ship out, and sail off to some other career. Plus, I respect a player far more if the dude expresses dissatisfaction with his contract but eventually shows up to practice and games ballin' (and there's some active players doing that right now) than the other dude that let's his team down. Besides that, Bill Parcells used to tell players to be careful about taking yourself out for minor injury, because you never know who is going to replace you (implied: that dude might take your job).

...Trade winds on the rise.

I didn't see the game, only the hlights and I think this goes back to what the other Gruden said in a MNF game last year, how RG3 takes more of a beating than any QB in the NFL. Who is to blame? Well, there's plenty of that to go around. But I believe the top of that heap has to be RG3 himself, though the coaching staff isn't far behind. After the Heisman and the most amazing rookie year in memory, he's never been close to that level since. And I believe because of his dogged determination, coupled with overconfidence and ego, he's putting himself in situations that do more harm than good. The perfect example being that he doesn't seem to know when to throw the ball away, as if he's trying to make every last play a great one, or squeeze every last yard out of every play. This seems to be a downward spiral he's on, and unless Jay Gruden and Matt Cavanaugh can cowboy up and challenge him, and have the balls to know when to pull him, they're going to go down for this as well. But it also looked like the OL wasn't doing a great job either.

I'm reminded about how when Mike Shanahan was their coach and how he despised that RG3 had a direct line to Daniel Snyder, and how RG3 would come to him about the game plan and tell Shanahan which plays were "unacceptable". He said after listening to him a few times he found that RG3 was sounding a lot like, and using words very much like, Snyder. And it was Shanahan who didn't sit an injured RG3 in a playoff game that started this trend, and ultimately cost him his job.

So if Gruden doesn't lecture and school RG3 on getting rid of the ball, and taking care of himself, or RG3 won't listen, Gruden's going to have to pull him, and let Snyder fire him for it. Because at the rate things are going, Gruden has to be on a very hot seat already.

Also on this hot seat has to be new GM Scott McLaughlin, who in one of his first orders of business picked up the option on Griffin's 5th year back in April. Put another way, he'll make $6m this year, but in 2016, that jumps to $16m. I don't know how much of that is guaranteed, but my understanding is that even if they cut him, it becomes dead money against the cap. And that's a lot to eat.

For my money, Cousins is the QB to develop around. I've listed my arguments in pretty good detail for this in the past and won't repeat them again.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I didn't see the game, only the hlights and I think this goes back to what the other Gruden said in a MNF game last year, how RG3 takes more of a beating than any QB in the NFL. Who is to blame? Well, there's plenty of that to go around. But I believe the top of that heap has to be RG3 himself, though the coaching staff isn't far behind. After the Heisman and the most amazing rookie year in memory, he's never been close to that level since. And I believe because of his dogged determination, coupled with overconfidence and ego, he's putting himself in situations that do more harm than good. The perfect example being that he doesn't seem to know when to throw the ball away, as if he's trying to make every last play a great one, or squeeze every last yard out of every play.

I agree with what you say here, spot on. However, it was Gruden who put him back in for an extended period when he was getting hammered, for (IMO) no good reason. The offensive line was getting absolutely WORKED in that game. Just dominated. In this particular game, they shoulder a huge part of the blame. That doesn't however invalidate the general comments about RGIII which you make here.

This seems to be a downward spiral he's on, and unless Jay Gruden and Matt Cavanaugh can cowboy up and challenge him, and have the balls to know when to pull him, they're going to go down for this as well. But it also looked like the OL wasn't doing a great job either.

I'm reminded about how when Mike Shanahan was their coach and how he despised that RG3 had a direct line to Daniel Snyder, and how RG3 would come to him about the game plan and tell Shanahan which plays were "unacceptable". He said after listening to him a few times he found that RG3 was sounding a lot like, and using words very much like, Snyder. And it was Shanahan who didn't sit an injured RG3 in a playoff game that started this trend, and ultimately cost him his job.

So if Gruden doesn't lecture and school RG3 on getting rid of the ball, and taking care of himself, or RG3 won't listen, Gruden's going to have to pull him, and let Snyder fire him for it. Because at the rate things are going, Gruden has to be on a very hot seat already.

Also on this hot seat has to be new GM Scott McLaughlin, who in one of his first orders of business picked up the option on Griffin's 5th year back in April. Put another way, he'll make $6m this year, but in 2016, that jumps to $16m. I don't know how much of that is guaranteed, but my understanding is that even if they cut him, it becomes dead money against the cap. And that's a lot to eat.

For my money, Cousins is the QB to develop around. I've listed my arguments in pretty good detail for this in the past and won't repeat them again.
I don't buy Cousins for a second as a starting QB, but I agree with everything else you're saying here.

As a Lions fan I felt sorry for RG3. He was playing against the first team defense sans Jason Jones and Haloti Ngata in the 1st quarter. In RG3s first series in the 2nd quarter when he got injured, it was mostly against backups with a few role players for the 1st team mixed in. It would not surprise me if RG3 got a concussion in one of the first series, but kept on playing without necessarily realizing he was concussed. The knocks likely continued to take their toll. On the series where he finally went down it was really weird how he just dropped the ball.

The hits he took in the first quarter were fast and hard. As for whose at fault for the hits. I would mostly say line play and perhaps RG3 wanting to make something happen. Anyway this is a young line and apparently this is the first time they faced a 4-3 defense this season. And the Lions were ranked as the second best defense last season.

I don't think you can blame rg3 so much this time. He just took too much punishment.

As for putting rg3 in in the second quarter, the Lions had mostly backups then, so I don't think it was wrong of Gruden to think this would be a good time to get some offense going for his first unit.

For the Lions defense the focus had likely shifted to evaluating individual defenders vs. evaluating the whole defense in the first quarter.

You can't really compare the Lineplay for RG3 to the other QBs. Since the Lions offense dominated the Jets so much last week, the defenders got very few snaps. It was likely a goal to see more snaps for developing players as well as see who might be worth a spot on the 53 or the practice squad.

ps @on3m@n@rmy
Chancellor is not looking good in my eyes. I think perhaps Schneider opened the doors of cap hell when he gave Lynch a raise last year. Now it's me, me, me too. The lions SS, Ihedigbo also wanted a raise. He announced it and promptly held out of voluntary workouts. He came back for the rest though, so he likely realized he was not irreplaceable, and if he had a good year this year, he could make good money next year when he becomes an FA.

The players should honor their contracts. If they want more money then they should go for shorter contracts. Tyrunn Walker the dt that blew up Scherf only wanted a one year deal when he came to the Lions. He is betting on himself to be able to get more money if he has a good year. He could get injured, but that's a chance he is taking.

@Alpe RG3s option year is only guaranteed for injury. So if he suffers and injury there will be dead money, but if he is healthy he can be cut without any dead money.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Welcome here St. Andrew, and welcome back Big Red and Amster. RGIII did take a major beating. The Skins problem goes beyond Gruden I think. There's got to be more to that organization that's messed up. And if Jesus was watching, he prolly did repeat that action of the shortest verse in the Bible and then turned the TV off. My only comment on the performance of RGIII in that game is this, and I cannot take credit for it, even though we could all see it. NFL network's Shaun O'Hara (ex-Giant OL) was saying RGIII's hammering was as much about RGIII's bad reads and not getting the ball out his hands quicker to the short routes as it was about the poor line blocking. So compare RGIII's performance vs backups Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins, who both played very well, and you have to think RGIII is not just a small part in his problems, he's the major part of his problems. OL has to play better, yes. But RGIII has to play much better. It sure looked to me like they'd be better off with Cousins OR McCoy at the QB spot than RG. BUT.... BUT, I did not pay attention to the line matchups (OL vs DL & blitz packages) to notice if the lines in front of McCoy and Cousins were easier matchups than the OL out there with RGIII had.

Thanks and you would be correct on the main problem with that organization, Dan Snyder(their owner) cares about the team and wants them to win(which is more than you can say for most owners) but he tries to take too much control and that team has been a mess under him. He hasn't been as bad recently(he went out and spent a lot of money on horrible deals for guys in the past) but I would imagine he is still making his mark.

I don't know if I can put much of that on RGIII though, I didn't see all the plays but from what I saw, there was no real avoiding getting drilled. The first big hit, Scherff was on skates and got beat badly, then the LT did a poor job getting beat around the edge as the defender yanked RGIII down from behind. The Levy hit was hard to see coming as Levy delayed the blitz and had a clear shot on RGIII and Levy is a good player so it isn't like he can elude him every time. Don't really care about RGIII or the Redskins but I gotta say that is almost entirely on the line.

Re:

ToreBear said:
Chancellor is not looking good in my eyes...
Absolutely agree. It's one thing to ask for a raise and continue to play and practice after a little holdout (like Lynch did and got the money, and Bennett is doing but keeps practicing & playing hard without getting the money)... but it's another thing when Cam's decision to holdout the entire season (if he goes thru with that threat) makes the entire team suffer the consequences of his absence. That's being a Jack Wagon on top of being greedy.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
ToreBear said:
Chancellor is not looking good in my eyes...
Absolutely agree. It's one thing to ask for a raise and continue to play and practice after a little holdout (like Lynch did and got the money, and Bennett is doing but keeps practicing & playing hard without getting the money)... but it's another thing when Cam's decision to holdout the entire season (if he goes thru with that threat) makes the entire team suffer the consequences of his absence. That's being a Jack Wagon on top of being greedy.
I agree. You can look out for yourself while still being a good team mate. Kam is being jack wagon!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

leftover pie said:
In today's news....

Eli wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL

Foxxxy, could you give us your considered opinion on Eli's worth?

Eli is in the NFL because of his bro and his surname (as the little siz of Michael Schumacher was in the F-1). He´s got a roid neck, and still only posseses a butter arm (the main reason for him being the active Int-King by a mile).

His true worth? Back-up money, minimum salary = 435.000 $ minus he isn´t NFL caliber = Arena football pay. So around 400$ per week.

This guy is the most lucky lottery winner ever, and now asks for even more? The Mannings, greedy beyond help.

And the coaches? Dumb, dumb, dumb... and even more dumb. They know Football (a team sport), yet pretend their lucky SB runs were due to the QB play. It´s a joke. A bad one.

Let me start with the disclaimer that I don't take too much from preseason games because there are too many factors involved.

With that said, the Eagles put up some points! I walked past a TV on the way to the men's room and it was 30-0, I just checked and the final score was 40-17. It sounds like Sanchez looked good? Bradford not too many reps?

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I hope that rings true for my Ravens because they got crushed. Hopefully they can learn from the mistakes. They had a lot of hype behind them lately though so hopefully this humbles them a bit and they come back ready to work.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site

jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Remember the 2008 Detroit Lions? 4-0 in the pre-season! 0-16 in the regular season.

Pre-season is for player evaluation, by far, above all else.

Did you skip my first sentence? ;)

:confused:

Alpe put it in correctly. The whole fuss means nothing. Who cares if Gnarls Barkley passed for 182 yards or whatever in a meaninless game against 3rd stringers?

The real games? Philly still ends up 0-16 to max (best) 5-11. Booked.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Remember the 2008 Detroit Lions? 4-0 in the pre-season! 0-16 in the regular season.

Alpe put it in correctly. The whole fuss means nothing. Who cares if Gnarls Barkley passed for 182 yards or whatever in a meaninless game against 3rd stringers?

I thought we talked about this already, 14-2 with Tebow scoring the SB winning touchdown.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Let me start with the disclaimer that I don't take too much from preseason games because there are too many factors involved.

Since you must have missed the game, it was #1s against #1s, but still very preseason.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ofc I missed the game... its pre-season. The sole purpose is to screw more money off fans and test some 3rd stringers. So... Gnarls Barkley passing for 182 still means nothing. :D

TRENDING THREADS