• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well so much for RG3 being the ultimate team guy and saying that it is the coaches decision to play or bench me and that now it is my role to be ready to go if the team needs me. Instead he 'liked' an Instagram posted by a fan that trashed the owner and organization. RG may have sealed the deal to cut him. Even though the post was not bad.

RGIII is now blaming an "intern" for liking that post. Pathetic any way you slice it.

Washington has two choices with him. One, cut bait and run. This will wipe the slate clean and they can start over.

Two. Keep him, accepting that as soon as he steps on the field they'll owe him a lot more money, and hope and pray he somehow stays healthy, gets his head on straight, and returns to his potential and what he showed in his rookie season.

Both have risks. Let's say they cut him, he goes to Dallas, sits a year or longer behind Romo, fully heals, learns, and ends up great again heading into the prime of his career. They keep him, they pay him, have to worry about his attitude, his health, and his playing being sub par.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
RGIII is now blaming an "intern" for liking that post. Pathetic any way you slice it...
True, and what's more is this SI.com article today by Peter King: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/01/robert-griffin-rg3-washington-nfl, in which RG is quoted saying:
“They are asking me to be basic and take the plays that are there. If that’s what Jay wants me to do, that’s what I’m going to do.”

“If they are asking me to do the ordinary, that’s what I am going to have to do.”

“I just have to do what the coach asks me to do.”

“I’m a player and he’s the coach and he’s going to go out there and make the play calls, and I have to go execute them.”
To which King writes:
Griffin never said: This is a great offense for me, and I’ve got faith in Jay Gruden to put me in the best position to play well and win.
The article also gives some clues into how uncommitted Jay Gruden is toward RG. Not that we did not suspect that, but King provides further insight.

King’s list of possible suitors for Griffin include – with my comments or lack of comment (?):
Seattle – I cannot see how SEA would be interested. Neither does ex-Hawks fullback from the 2014 SB winner and now NFL.com analyst Michael Robinson, who tweeted “He would not fit in that locker room!” (@RealMikeRob, which is where I found the story to begin with)
Arizona – now there’s a possible good fit and future need when Palmer is done.
Buffalo – Not likely with all the options Rex has there.
Carolina – (?)
NYJets – (?)
Packers – (?)
See the link above for Peter King’s thoughts on possible suitors, and the rest of his story.

I read the article and strangely enough, the Jets seem the best fit. They are dysfunctional already, maybe that's why?! And with Geno hurt. But that may be even more of a mess.

The Eagles seem like another landing spot to me. As do the Rams (oh, the irony!).

Perhaps it needs to be looked at that no matter where he goes, he's going to sit on the bench for 2015, maybe into 2016 as well. Where would he best fit for that?

Seattle seems like a terrible fit. That wouldn't work at all. And they still have TJax, who is a more than capable backup, and a total team player. Or would he sit third on the bench there? The Seahawks don't keep 3 QB's on roster, do they? Both Wilson and Jackson seem completely healthy and aren't prone to injury.

I'm not so sure about Arizona as well. They seem like a fairly tight unit, and he might upend the apple cart. Plus, they are already trying to develop Logan Thomas, a young, big, strong armed kid. Are they going to give up on him, to take RG3?

Houston seems like an interesting choice.

I thought about Houston too, FWIW.
My only thought on Jets was with so many bungled QB decisions, can they stand to make another?
Not sure on Eagles, but RAMS... LMAO.
Now way he can contribute much in 2015 on another team. He'd have to sit and study. Maybe 2016 if the team he lands with is desparate.
SEA typically does not keep 3 on the active roster. They have kept BJ Daniels on the practice squad, but they are trying him as a backup returner and WR, and I have to say he has a shot to make the 53-man roster just on that alone. ADD to that he can be a backup QB would mean there'd be absolutely no possible way Griffin would land a spot on the 53-man or even on the practice squad. Plus there is no way team leaders like Earl Thomas would permit any pouty-face attitude/behaviors. It would end up like letting Percy go mid-season last year.

Saw Charlie Casserly make some comments on the RGIII topic last night, I think on the NFL network but I'm not sure. Anyway, his focus was on the evaluation of Cousins vs. RGIII based on what he saw on film in the pre-season (and possibly some practice but I'm not sure). Basically he evaluated:

• Completion percentage
  • Accuracy
  • Reads
  • Ability to go through progression
  • Pocket presence
  • Reaction of the team to the QB (Blocking, effort, etc.)

His take was that the evaluation was a "knockout" in favor of Cousins, and that for the Redskins football execs and coaches, that there was no question which player won the evaluation. Not even close.

I think the question with that is why not factor in Cousins' turnover history. He may have considered it but didn't mention it or I missed it.

Anyway, I think it's interesting because there's a lot of energy out there about Gruden not being a fan of RGIII. Which begs the question, why not? I think it's not fair to suppose there was a bias against RGIII, and in fact he took the job assuming that he'd be creating an offense with Griffin at the helm, so there's evidence that he at least thought he could work with RGIII's skills. The simple truth seems to be that despite great investment and cost, RGIII simply doesn't measure up to NFL standards for quarterback play. That his body won't hold up to the offense they ran when he was a rookie, and that teams have adjusted in large degree to the read-option, making it much harder for teams to run it consistently.

Clearly there's evidence Gruden isn't and hasn't been a fan of RGIII, but it's clear that there is a merit-based component to that view.

Re:

Eagle said:
What do you guys think of Kam Chancellor's holdout, must be getting worrying for any Seahawks fans

Seems it's holding up the Fred Jackson signing: http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2015/09/02/report-kam-chancellor-holdout-holding-up-seahawks-deal-with-rb-fred-jackson/

Not really a big fan of his holdout considering how recently he re-negotiated. That said I don't know how much of that contract was guaranteed, and as with all pro football contracts, I see the player side given how easily they can be released.

I don't actually care much, I'm not a Seahawks fan at all. Too long the enemy in the AFC West.

Re:

Eagle said:
What do you guys think of Kam Chancellor's holdout, must be getting worrying for any Seahawks fans
I posted my 2 cents on this here (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1799158#p1799158). I call it the Jack Wagon post for the reasons in the link. And I am a BIG Hawks fan. But TBH I'm not worried or concerned. It is what it is.

There is an interesting twist to this now, that being the Hawks possible signing of ex-Bills RB Fred Jackson. If Hawks sign Jackson but refuse to give Cam more money, then Cam will likely look at this as if Hawks really don't want him anymore for whatever reason (likely that the organization will have grown tired of the holdout). Since Hawks are not being quick to sign Jackson it looks like they are waiting for the Cam situation to work out.

When the regular season begins (does someone know exactly when that is?), Cam's fine will jump to about 1/4 Million bucks per week. I expect Cam to at least wait until this Sunday to report in if he's going to at all. But if he doesn't report in by the time preparations for the first regular season game begins and decides to continue the holdout and let his teammates down, then I say trade him for a couple first rounders if SEA can get that. And then next man up.

Thing about Cam is, he is a very unique SS. I don't know of anyone in the NFL quite like him. And while he did get a new deal a few years ago, he has grown a lot as a player since then and his performance justifies a pay raise. And he's a good dude normally (not so good if he lets the team down). So I really hope it works out, even if that means SEA does not bite on signing Fred Jackson and they give that money to Cam instead.

I don't question the guy's skill level, though playing alongside maybe the best SS and CB in the league can't hurt. Kam both hits hard, and can cover well.

But I'm with some of the GMs and coaches that refuse to negotiate with players who won't report, presuming the GM and front office do consistently negotiate in good faith, and I've never once got the impression John Schneider has done anything but.

I anticipate Seattle having a bumpy start to the season anyway, so well see what happens.

You mean playing alongside the best FS. :)
I also get the point about the GMs and not caving in to holdouts. In fact, I'd be surprised if Schneider is not getting calls and encouragement from other GMs to hold firm and resist.
I think they could be headed for a bumpy early start based on line play. Publicly, Tom Cable has been overly positive about the o-line. Sometimes that can mean they are bad enough that they need some building up. But I am encouraged Cable now has his starters set.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Congrats to Tyrod on earning the job in Buffalo, think that team can sneak into the playoffs with a strong defense and an offense that should be run heavy. Vikings are another sleeper team for me.

As for Seattle, my biggest concern with them is the O-line, Lynch has made that line look better than it actually is in the past but they lost some pieces there and Lynch is another year older. Still should be a good team though as long as Wilson carries more of the load this year.

I really think the Rams have nice potential but their line is going to make or break them this year. Either the line gets it together and they make a push for the playoffs or continue to be a tough out but can't score due to an impotent offense mainly due to the line. Foles can succeed with the right players around him but it is a big drop off from Philly to what he has now with the line.

Speaking of Philly, Bradford has looked good so far, he just has to actually stay healthy. Eagles have a good line outside of their guards but the guards should be good enough for them. We saw Chip almost make Mark Sanchez a good QB so it should be interesting with Bradford. They will either be in the playoffs or will have imploded.

If I am RGIII right now I am requesting a trade at this point, that is just a mess down there and it is clear that Jay Gruden wants Cousins to be his guy. No cap savings for Washington although at least it wouldn't cost them to get rid of him. Would be hilarious if the Rams got him although with their line he would struggle there as well. Don't know if we actually see RGIII leave Washington or what will happen there but it is one big mess down there right now.

As for Chancellor, I always viewed Thomas and Sherman as the more important guys in the secondary for Seattle but Kam certainly has his role with the team and is an important piece. Don't know why he is holding out this early into his deal though, if he didn't like the deal at the time he should have said so then. Still, it is another interesting situation to follow.

Lots of things to wrap up(if you want my thoughts on any of the other teams just let me know) as I have been gone a bit with school picking up again but the regular season is right around the corner finally.

Good scoop Glenn, beat me to it.

All I can say is, wow! I wasn't entirely sure how this would go. I thought the judge may uphold the ruling, but also issue in the ruling that he was only doing so in conjunction with the CBA, and that Goodell and the NFL were out of line and unreasonable. But the judge it appears threw the entire thing out. By any measure this has to be considered a huge victory for Brady, and a huge loss for the NFL, especially Goodell. This is especially so considering the NFL sought to have the case heard in NY, instead of the player friendly Minneapolis court.

Extra bonus for Brady here also considering he was willing to sit out one game for obstructing the investigation, making him look very reasonable, but the league wouldn't agree to that. Now, the league gets nothing.

I have to wonder if the league is going to appeal at this point. They said before if they lost, they felt strong they would win an appeal. But could they really get an appeal in the next two weeks? And if it takes longer, would an appeals court issue an uphold of the suspension mid-season? Or late season? That would have to be an even bigger disaster for the NFL. Imagine the Patriots are in the playoff hunt, and a bitter NFL gets him suspended late in the season. That would look draconian. Deplorable.

I also have to think the owners can't be pleased with this. They were the ones who spent the money for the Wells investigation. They also have been the ones who have given Goodell powers as judge, jury and executioner. Now, after a few botched rulings, and losses of appeal to suspensions - this one the biggest of all, one has to wonder if they will work to curb his powers internally, or what kind of leash he is on. While Goodell is employed by the owners, his ultimate job is keeping the game in tact, protecting the shield. And it's hard to argue he's doing that very well right now, and that the growth and profit of the NFL would continue just fine with someone else. The next CBA is 7 years out, so don't look for official changes just yet.

Here's the full report.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/09/03/0ap3000000520629.pdf

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Eagle said:
I posted my 2 cents on this here (http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1799158#p1799158). I call it the Jack Wagon post for the reasons in the link. And I am a BIG Hawks fan. But TBH I'm not worried or concerned. It is what it is.

There is an interesting twist to this now, that being the Hawks possible signing of ex-Bills RB Fred Jackson. If Hawks sign Jackson but refuse to give Cam more money, then Cam will likely look at this as if Hawks really don't want him anymore for whatever reason (likely that the organization will have grown tired of the holdout). Since Hawks are not being quick to sign Jackson it looks like they are waiting for the Cam situation to work out.

When the regular season begins (does someone know exactly when that is?), Cam's fine will jump to about 1/4 Million bucks per week. I expect Cam to at least wait until this Sunday to report in if he's going to at all. But if he doesn't report in by the time preparations for the first regular season game begins and decides to continue the holdout and let his teammates down, then I say trade him for a couple first rounders if SEA can get that. And then next man up.

Thing about Cam is, he is a very unique SS. I don't know of anyone in the NFL quite like him. And while he did get a new deal a few years ago, he has grown a lot as a player since then and his performance justifies a pay raise. And he's a good dude normally (not so good if he lets the team down). So I really hope it works out, even if that means SEA does not bite on signing Fred Jackson and they give that money to Cam instead.
I am a Seattle fan, and likED Kam. I agreed with your Jack Wagon post, and at this point, hope that Kam goes elsewhere and plays poorly.

Two big losers as a result of the judge's decision:

1) Roger Goodell (obviously)
2) Jimmy Garoppollo :D

Interesting to me that this was a purely technical decision. The judge did not comment anywhere in his 40 page report on the evidence that the balls were intentionally deflated. His main reason for vacating the suspension was that Brady was not given adequate notice that a four game suspension would result from deflating balls. The NFL tried to argue that doing that was comparable to taking PEDs, but the judge found nothing in the record to support that equivalence. The judge also argued that Brady shouldn't have been denied the chance to cross-examine one of the key personnel behind the Wells report.

So just as people were saying earlier that a decision for the NFL would not necessarily mean the judge agreed that Brady was guilty, a decision for Brady does not mean the judge thought Brady was innocent. Brady got off on a technicality, though one could argue that the nature of the technicality strongly implied that any wrongdoing was not that great. Still, the judge in effect said, Brady might well be a cheater, but you can't punish someone for cheating without first giving clear notice of the penalty.

I wonder if the equipment manager will be reinstated now.

Re:

The other loser here may be the Patriots overall for losing a draft pick, and accepting it, before the tide started to turn in their favor.

This ruling goes back I think to what I wrote about months ago, wondering if this really should have been handled in two ways. First, at the moment of discovery; a 15 yard penalty on the first play from scrimmage in the second half for equipment tampering (during the Colts game). And second, a fine by the league for each violation. I believe that was $10k. Or $110,000 total.

I'm no expert on the NFL rule book or CBA, but it seems to me this is what the rules stated before the incident. Going by how the judge ruled, this seems to hold the most justice.

Meanwhile, Tim Tebow had his best game in a few years, playing against backups, but with backups as well. His decisions were quick and his throws crisp. While Matt Barkley had a sub par game with an ugly int. the thing is, if Barkley is cut, someone will pick him up. Tebow, I doubt it.

Seattle has waived injured (high ankle sprain) RB Robert Turbin and signed ex-Bills 34 year old RB and friend of Lynch (Fred Jackson) to a one year deal. This could be best 1-2 running back punch in NIL (others?). That news is a tad old. What's fresh is Seattle is rumored to be shopping former 2nd round pick and a bit fumble-prone Christine Michael around for a draft pick. You might appropriately ask at this time why would a team trade? Why not just wait for cuts to be made? To guarantee getting the player if there's a justified need. Here is one GM's take on that aspect of the evaluation process all teams are going through now, some painfully...
...at this time of year, it’s not just about evaluating the 75 players on the current roster. Team's scouting departments are watching other teams, trying to guess who might get cut, who might be available in trade, then comparing those players against their own.
Having just watched highlight video of Seattle's Turbin, Michael and rookie unrated free agent Thomas Rawls, Michael and Rawls are both more explosive than Turbin, and of the 3 Rawls is the biggest thumper, running more in the style of Marshawn Lynch. This along with rumors of shopping Michael it looks like Seattle wants to keep Rawls.

Thebow cut by the Eagles. Who will go with just two QBs, including the injury prone Bradford.

I doubt any team will pick Tim up. However, if he clears waivers the Eagles could assign him to their practice squad. Though Tim could make just as much money as a college TV analyst, he may go for it.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Niners keep the Aussie rugby star.

I'm so excited!

This is huge news (infact the whole pre-season has been) down here.

Gotta admire the guy's cajones, giving up his rugby career to go and have a shot at at the NFL (probably know he would never be more than a bit player), he wasn't a fringe player in the NRL either, he was in the top 5 in the whole league.

In conclusion, I hereby declare today to be Jarryd Hayne day!

Mayor-quimby.jpeg

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Matt Flynn cut by Jets.
Matt Cassel cut by Bills.
Reggie Wayne cut by NE.
Terrell Pryor makes 53 man roster asWR for Cleveland. Good for him. Tebow should change positions.
Niners keep the Aussie rugby star.

It sounds like RW didn't like something about either the Pats or Foxborough. TT should have been an H back all a long. Kellen More cut by the Lions. ;( Great young guy, amazing football mind, accurate, small and slow (the last two make it tough for him in the NFL). Hopefully he will be an OC somewhere soon.

TRENDING THREADS