• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 249 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

52520Andrew said:
That line from the 49ers has really fallen off from what it was a couple years ago. Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Boone, and Davis was a great lineup.

Yes but mediocre this year at best. Tomsula kept playing the same non performers until the season was just about done and it was too late then and the token changes were ineffective anyway. Gabbert and Kaep were busy running for their lives !

Chargers are staying in San Diego next season. Though they have a deal with Kroenke for the Inglewood stadium which now can be used as leverage over the SD governement.

There better be more Charger fans than visiting fans there next season. Some players already calling out the fans:

Keenan Allen ‏@Keenan13Allen
So it's looks like we are going to be in San Diego for another season. The stadium better be packed. The fans got what they wanted.
Keenan Allen ‏@Keenan13Allen
Now let's see sell outs every home game! And not the other teams colors! #BoltUp

Melvin Ingram ‏@MelvinIngram
Staying in San Diego 4 another year..Every home game better be sold out..Charger blue everywhere Fans got what they wanted Now come support

But the idea of citizens paying for a new stadium, even a portion of it, is very unpopular, like 65% of the people don't want it. That's worse than Oakland, which has more dedicated fans, but doesn't have much money.

The idea of the Chargers staying in San Diego in a new stadium, and the Raiders moving to LA seems really far fetched to me. Three teams crammed within 120 miles? Yes, it's about like that in Philly/Baltimore/DC, but those areas have more individual identity, and are more sports cities (ie, no beaches to lie on).

Meanwhile, Marc Davis visited with billionaire Sheldon Aldeson about getting him to build a new domed stadium, and moving the Raiders there. A dome would be flat out stupid for Las Vegas. I also wonder how much the NFL wants a team in Vegas, being the gambling capital of the world. Yes, it's now run by corporate America, and the mob is gone (right?!), but I still wonder if it will happen. I still think Davis best shot is to offer a higher percentage of the team for sale, and get some silicon valley billionaire to buy in. In the long term this would likely be best for the team, and the city. But I question that Davis has that much business savvy, let alone clout.

I thought back in the day that LA citizens not wanting to pay was reason for the Rams and Raiders later departing. Times have changed. Maybe it will in SD.

Anyone interested in free agents? Here's the list of UFA and RFA WRs from WalterFootball.com.
Legend:
* = one star rated, and the more the stars the better.
+ = half star rated

Alshon Jeffery, WR, Bears. Age: 26. ****+
Alshon Jeffery is one of the top free agents on the market. He's a dynamic receiver who is just entering his prime. He logged 1,133 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2014 despite working with a lethargic Jay Cutler. He posted a 54-807-4 line in 2015, but played only nine games because of various injuries.

Marvin Jones, WR, Bengals. Age: 26. **+
Save for the one season he missed, Marvin Jones has increased his numbers each year. He caught 65 passes for 816 yards in 2015. He's an adequate No. 2 receiver with plenty of potential.

Travis Benjamin, WR, Browns. Age: 26. **+
Travis Benjamin entered the season as a mere situational deep threat. He blossomed, however, emerging as a viable No. 2 receiving option.

Kamar Aiken (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 27. **+
Kamar Aiken has been one of the few silver linings for the Ravens in their disastrous 2015 campaign. He has proven that he can be a quality No. 2 receiver.

Rueben Randle, WR, Giants. Age: 25. **
Rueben Randle, who is a year removed from catching 71 passes for 938 yards, is just a sub-par No. 2 receiver. There's nothing special here, as Randle sometimes struggles to get open.

Anquan Boldin, WR, 49ers. Age: 35. **
Despite the fact that he'll turn 36 in October, Anquan Boldin is still a viable No. 2 possession receiver. Returning to Baltimore makes a lot of sense.

Percy Harvin, WR, Bills. Age: 28. **
Time is running out for the Collard Kector, who can't seem to stay healthy. Percy Harvin told the media that he's contemplating retirement.

Rishard Matthews, WR, Dolphins. Age: 26. **
Rishard Matthews was a solid No. 2 receiver for the Dolphins in 2015. He had some quality performances early in the season before missing time with a rib injury at the end.

Brian Quick, WR, Rams. Age: 27. **
Brian Quick was a second-round pick in 2012, but has never lived up to his potential. Quick looked like he was going to have a strong 2015 campaign, but a shoulder injury derailed his chances. Perhaps he'll be better in 2016.

Leonard Hankerson, WR, Bills. Age: 27. **
There has to be something wrong with Leonard Hankerson. He showed the ability to be a decent No. 2 receiver this year, but was released by both the Falcons and Patriots.

Jermaine Kearse, WR, Seahawks. Age: 26. *+
Mohamed Sanu, WR, Bengals. Age: 27. *+
Brandon Gibson, WR, Patriots. Age: 29. *+
James Jones, WR, Packers. Age: 32. *+
Marc Mariani, WR/KR, Bears. Age: 29. *+
Chris Givens, WR, Ravens. Age: 26. *+
Keshawn Martin, WR, Patriots. Age: 26. *+
Marlon Brown (RFA), WR, Ravens. Age: 25. *+
Chris Hogan (RFA), WR, Bills. Age: 27. *+
Andre Holmes, WR, Raiders. Age: 28. *+
Nate Washington, WR, Texans. Age: 33. *+
Jaron Brown (RFA), WR, Cardinals. Age: 26. *+
Hakeem Nicks, WR, Giants. Age: 28. *+
Rod Streater, WR, Raiders. Age: 28. *+
Justin Blackmon, WR, Jaguars. Age: 26. *+
Jordan Norwood, WR, Broncos. Age: 29. *+
Andre Caldwell, WR, Broncos. Age: 31. *+
Kenbrell Thompkins, WR, Jets. Age: 28. *+
Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Steelers. Age: 29. *+
Jason Avant, WR, Chiefs. Age: 33. *+
Josh Bellamy (RFA), WR, Bears. Age: 27. *+
Jeremy Ross, WR, Raiders. Age: 28. *+
Lance Moore, WR, Lions. Age: 33. *+
Brandon Tate, WR/KR, Bengals. Age: 28. *+
Ricardo Lockette, WR, Seahawks. Age: 30. *
Wes Welker, WR, Rams. Age: 35. *
Nick Toon, WR, Rams. Age: 27. *
DeVier Posey, WR, Broncos. Age: 26. *
Terrelle Pryor, WR/QB, Browns. Age: 27. *
Brenton Bersin (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 26. *
Russell Shepard (RFA), WR, Buccaneers. Age: 25. *
Tavarres King (RFA), WR, Giants. Age: 26. *
Chris Owusu, WR, Jets. Age: 26. *
Joe Webb, WR/QB, Panthers. Age: 29. *
Stephen Hill (RFA), WR, Panthers. Age: 25. *
Seyi Ajirotutu, WR, Eagles. Age: 29. *
Deonte Thompson, WR, Bears. Age: 27. *
David Nelson, WR, Steelers. Age: 29. *
Brian Tyms (RFA), WR, Patriots. Age: 27. *
Kaelin Clay, WR, Ravens. Age: 24. *

Read more free agents at: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents.php

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
But the idea of citizens paying for a new stadium, even a portion of it, is very unpopular, like 65% of the people don't want it. That's worse than Oakland, which has more dedicated fans, but doesn't have much money.

The idea of the Chargers staying in San Diego in a new stadium, and the Raiders moving to LA seems really far fetched to me. Three teams crammed within 120 miles? Yes, it's about like that in Philly/Baltimore/DC, but those areas have more individual identity, and are more sports cities (ie, no beaches to lie on).

Meanwhile, Marc Davis visited with billionaire Sheldon Aldeson about getting him to build a new domed stadium, and moving the Raiders there. A dome would be flat out stupid for Las Vegas. I also wonder how much the NFL wants a team in Vegas, being the gambling capital of the world. Yes, it's now run by corporate America, and the mob is gone (right?!), but I still wonder if it will happen. I still think Davis best shot is to offer a higher percentage of the team for sale, and get some silicon valley billionaire to buy in. In the long term this would likely be best for the team, and the city. But I question that Davis has that much business savvy, let alone clout.

I agree. I think three teams so close together and outside of their local fan base makes no sense. Las Vegas in the era of match fixing and sports betting ? I think not. I think even California would struggle to support four teams these days in the sense that they maintain enthusiasm for all of the teams and keep the game attendances up. If some of these teams have losing starts at their new stadiums and it continues it could get ugly. I think one team cities are always the best scenario or two at the most like NY who can carry two teams without a problem. The 49ers move to Santa Clara did not go down well with many people and attendances at the new stadium dropped off markedly in the last third of the season when it was obvious there would be no extended season. Even some of the players talked about missing the old stadium.

I've been wondering about the Johnny Manziel situation, I am sure he didn't just turn into this perpetual off-field disaster zone the moment he left college, so was there a lot of covering up going on while he was at college?

Or did all this sort of *waves hands around* "stuff" only start to happen the moment he crossed the border into Ohio?

Re:

leftover pie said:
I've been wondering about the Johnny Manziel situation, I am sure he didn't just turn into this perpetual off-field disaster zone the moment he left college, so was there a lot of covering up going on while he was at college?

Or did all this sort of *waves hands around* "stuff" only start to happen the moment he crossed the border into Ohio?
He was doing this in college too.

I think it was fairly well known, or at least assumed. But there was this blind assumption that he would grow out of it. The same way Cam Newton grew out of stealing laptops, and Jamis Winston grew out of stealing crab cakes and soda from fountains. But I'm convinced at this point that Manziel is an addict (or basic alcoholic). Anyone who has been around a true addict will know what I'm talking about here, that from the moment they wake up, until they go to sleep, this is the priority of their thinking, and that includes preparing to control all perception of them, and conversations they might have to convince you and everyone else they don't have a problem. Manziel even has an entourage of security/enablers around him, and he comes from a wealthy family, so that the well doesn't run dry. However, being so high profile, it's beyond possible for him to live without being noticed here and there. It was, and still is, just a matter how how desperate any NFL team is willing to put up with it.

I agree that he is likely and alcoholic, but he also likes to abuse woman.

This morning on his radio show Daryn Colledge said that JM will be fine when he's out of the league next season because he is from a rich family, and he will be able to make money on reality shows...everyone likes to watch a train wreck.

It's amazing how quickly some (too many?) professional athletes are pumped up and glorified and then quickly brought down in the US, with or without media assistance. The guy was the flavor of the month not too long ago. Now he's heading in the Ryan Leaf direction. I don't want to speculate on private life issues or anything non football related with these players, but something is remiss here. Did people involved around Manziel hide his issues prior entering the NFL and prior to that, Texas A&M? It's one thing when you are a young college athlete who is out of the home and wants to have a good time while being a star on a D1 football team in the state where football rules, but surely people had to have seen the warning signs? Or were there things kept secret and he was able to do as he pleased because of his status?

BullsFan22 said:
It's amazing how quickly some (too many?) professional athletes are pumped up and glorified and then quickly brought down in the US, with or without media assistance. The guy was the flavor of the month not too long ago. Now he's heading in the Ryan Leaf direction. I don't want to speculate on private life issues or anything non football related with these players, but something is remiss here. Did people involved around Manziel hide his issues prior entering the NFL and prior to that, Texas A&M? It's one thing when you are a young college athlete who is out of the home and wants to have a good time while being a star on a D1 football team in the state where football rules, but surely people had to have seen the warning signs? Or were there things kept secret and he was able to do as he pleased because of his status?
His drinking and abuse issues really weren't that secret. I think that he has gotten worse though.

jmdirt said:
BullsFan22 said:
His drinking and abuse issues really weren't that secret. I think that he has gotten worse though.

I was aware of the drinking, but had the feeling that it wasn't a huge deal. I guess it is. On the field he struck me as a punk. Perhaps he's one off the field as well. Oh well. It just keeps getting worse for the Browns franchise.

Crazy. This part I think stood out:

"Long ago, officials were asked simply to judge possession of the ball — the dictionary definition of catch, plus two feet on the ground. Now they must ascertain the actions of the rest of the body, if not the mind."

That was it, and should still be it. That stupid Calvin Johnson call ruined that. Likely because the NFL couldn't explain, or point accurately to the rule book, to clarify that the official call on the field was wrong. All those other definitions, even the one Mike Perierra tried to clarify, still make little sense. Control the ball, get both feet on the ground, that's it. No "football move" nonsense.

Every year about this time I think of how rules should change for next season, I'll try to do that today, or tomorrow.

Meanwhile. It looks like Calvin Johnson, like Barry Sanders before him, is footballed out. Maybe that catch, I mean no-catch, soured him?!

Could the Oakland Raiders actually play in Santa Clara? You know, Levi's stadium? Any logical person would ask that question, starting with, why didn't they from the get-go? Well, it's apparently because the York family and Davis family never talked much, and don't care for each other. So despite the stadium being built to handle two teams, it was never seriously discussed, as first Al, and now Marc, tries to get his own stadium, in Oakland, the East Bay, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, etc.

But wait, this wasn't exactly the best year for the 49ers, or Levi's stadium, and there are plenty of unhappy fans there. Now, for whatever the reason (like, money maybe?!) Jed York has opened a conciliatory door, welcoming the Raiders to join them there, if not permanently, at least for the next few years, while the Raiders try to sort things out, saying in so many words, the door is wide open and it's only up to the Raiders if they want to play there. As if all Marc Davis has to do is pick up the call and ask. Of course there's more to it than that, but it's a very interesting development. And I'm sure Raider fans would be more than happy to fill seats there than in the crappy baseball stadium they play in now.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/1/28/10861188/jed-york-holds-open-door-for-raiders-to-play-at-levis-stadium

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Crazy. This part I think stood out:

"Long ago, officials were asked simply to judge possession of the ball — the dictionary definition of catch, plus two feet on the ground. Now they must ascertain the actions of the rest of the body, if not the mind."

That was it, and should still be it. That stupid Calvin Johnson call ruined that. Likely because the NFL couldn't explain, or point accurately to the rule book, to clarify that the official call on the field was wrong. All those other definitions, even the one Mike Perierra tried to clarify, still make little sense. Control the ball, get both feet on the ground, that's it. No "football move" nonsense.

Every year about this time I think of how rules should change for next season, I'll try to do that today, or tomorrow.

Meanwhile. It looks like Calvin Johnson, like Barry Sanders before him, is footballed out. Maybe that catch, I mean no-catch, soured him?!

Could the Oakland Raiders actually play in Santa Clara? You know, Levi's stadium? Any logical person would ask that question, starting with, why didn't they from the get-go? Well, it's apparently because the York family and Davis family never talked much, and don't care for each other. So despite the stadium being built to handle two teams, it was never seriously discussed, as first Al, and now Marc, tries to get his own stadium, in Oakland, the East Bay, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Antonio, etc.

But wait, this wasn't exactly the best year for the 49ers, or Levi's stadium, and there are plenty of unhappy fans there. Now, for whatever the reason (like, money maybe?!) Jed York has opened a conciliatory door, welcoming the Raiders to join them there, if not permanently, at least for the next few years, while the Raiders try to sort things out, saying in so many words, the door is wide open and it's only up to the Raiders if they want to play there. As if all Marc Davis has to do is pick up the call and ask. Of course there's more to it than that, but it's a very interesting development. And I'm sure Raider fans would be more than happy to fill seats there than in the crappy baseball stadium they play in now.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/1/28/10861188/jed-york-holds-open-door-for-raiders-to-play-at-levis-stadium

The catch or no catch debacle will cost a team a championship one day and then they will change it maybe !

As for the Raiders playing at Levis I don't think York has much say in the matter as the stadium was built on the proviso that it hosts one or two teams. But it's academic as the Raiders prefer not to go there but they might have to in the short term. 49ers fans not happy, Raiders fans not happy but with the Rams appearing in Southern California again it seems that the rivalry between these teams is going to get a big boost.

San Diego could be the loser in the long term if they get what they want but the crowds don't improve. That is one franchise I could see moving in the future maybe. Possibly to St Louis ! Maybe not. If the Rams go well they could attract some new fans from San Diego, the ones that like to chop and change teams.

As much as I think the Chargers should stay in San Diego for their fans, I think it's most likely they'll move to LA, simply because no one in SD wants to pay for a stadium, and the Spanos family won't either, or doesn't have the business savvy, or connections, to make it happen on their own.

While the Raiders would have much more control, and potential revenue, from the own stadium, I still think that's a few years away, at best. They are left with some bad options, and I think moving into Levi's stadium is a good idea for the next few years. But I'm not sure Marc Davis has the negotiating skills to get things done the way he'd like. It's as if he wants some city, be that Oakland, or if necessary somewhere else, to build a stadium with a little money from him, and some control over how the place is used, and have it sell a heap of tickets. That's not going to come easy, anywhere, even as solid as the Raiders brand is (and it's strongest, by far, in the Bay Area, even stretching towards Sacramento, if need be).

The Browns have surprised no one by saying they will cut Manziel. They can't technically do it yet, and there's an optimum time to do so because of the cap, but they are sending a message by saying this now. So, do they draft yet another QB with the 2nd pick in the draft? Since I think they're going into some form of rebuilding with Hue Jackson, I'd suggest they trade out of the pick, and look to a QB they like in the 2nd-4th round, and expect that QB to sit behind McCown, and maybe even Austin Davis for a year, maybe two. McCown has shown himself to be a total team player, and while he is never likely to play as well as he did in Chicago under Trestman, he's at least serviceable during a rebuilding year, and has enough tread left on the tires, provided he doesn't get hurt. Jackman's teams are usually ones who run, and throw the ball down the field - he's not a west coast offense kind of guy, so I can see him finding a QB with a strong arm, he thinks he can develop, but not "waste" with the risk of the #2 pick in the draft.

Now, who would they trade that pick to? Guesses anyone?

Finally, has this been the most boring Super Bowl hype ever? It's like there is nothing going on, and everyone is expecting a blah game, or quite possibly, a blowout. I mean, headlines were made today when the Broncos sent Ryan Murphy home for being questioned in a prostitution sting, Murphy is a practice squad player (and the police cleared him), and that's all the news we've got?!

RE: Browns: IMO, drafting a QB in the first round is the wrong move. McCown isn't a good answer either though. A guy at the Y thinks that RG3 is a good fit, but I'm not convinced of that. He also thinks that Rivers could help them for at least a year. I definitely don't like that idea. They need to find a 'Russell Wilson' in the later rounds.

TRENDING THREADS