• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 258 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:
RGIII going from the 2nd most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL to the most dysfunctional (or is it the other way around). Feel sorry for the guy. A joy to watch and what an arm. Only Rodgers can throw it better than him imo
Great comment about the franchises. Now give it a couple years and we will be able to say which is most dysfunctional based on whether Griffin turns out well or goes bust. If Griffin becomes a pro bowler that will be serious egg on the face in Washington.

Hugh Jackson should be a good coach for him. Does well with quarterbacks historically. You have to want to be coached, however. It will be interesting.

Alpe d'Huez said:
First, it looks like RG3 is signing with the Browns, in a good deal for Cleveland. $15m over two years, only $6.75 guaranteed. Worth the risk I think. Will he start? Over McCown? I don't think so, but I would think at least he'd be given a chance to start, and at worst be 2nd string going into the season. All the word from Hue Jackson and others was that RG3 was pretty humble and open to admitting he made many mistakes, and never blaming the Redskins. The guy has a lot of talent, so maybe he can adapt? McCown has always been a total team player, which had to have played into Hue and the team's decision.

Do the Browns now trade their 2nd round pick? Tennessee isn't going to take a QB, and needs help all over, and Carson Wentz stock is rising. So dumping the pick seems quite possible. What about Cleveland taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round? Both Cook and Hackenberg are viewed as prospects who could be NFL QB's in a few years, and likely to fall to 2-4th round. Cook looked like he might make Rd1, but a horrible final game against Alabama showed his mid-long range accuracy needs a lot of work. But his arm may overcome that.

Good post Merckx. I love Kelly's quip about not winning enough games. Sounds like he took lessons from Bill Belicheck on that one answer. If he thinks he had a hard time working with the invisible Howie Roseman, just wait until Baalke gets his hands on Chip's team!

Merckx index said:
In other NFL news, several rule changes were made. The most talked-about was probably the one that makes touchbacks on kickoffs put the ball on the 25 yard line, rather than the twenty (# 5 on Alpe’s list above). The rationale is that the extra five yards will make players fielding a KO in the end zone more likely to down the ball rather than run it out, thus cutting down on injuries.
I came up with (or borrowed) answers to this before. They could simply not allow kicks to be returned from the end zone, unless the ball is fielded, or bounces, before it gets to the goal line. Sure, you won't see as many kick returns, and rare will be the ones over 100 yards for a TD, but in the name of safety, that's not a bad idea.

Recall, Greg Schiano had the idea of instead of kicking off, giving teams the option of a punt, having the ball at the 20, or actually having the ball at their own 25 yard line on offense, but with a 4th and 15 play. That would certainly eliminate a lot of injuries, like all of them from kickoffs.

As to CTE, one of the hardest parts to factor in is what happened in college, and high school even.

This will probably mean that Kaep will end up at Denver if the right deal can be agreed on. RG3 can hopefully stay healthy and hopefully the Browns will have a decent Offensive Line or a better one to help him. Hopefully Chip can develop some of the young talent at the 49ers as they have hardly taken part in the Free Agency signings. Other people are saying the 49ers are a few seasons away from the playoffs and that the upcoming season will be another mediocre one. I give Kelly two seasons to turn things around otherwise I think he will be gone. Baalke needs to make some good pick ups in the draft and I think if Goff is available which is a big maybe at 7, the 49ers will grab him considering their current QB stocks. Baalke is another one who may be looking for another job if he continues to sign non performers. He has $60,000,000.00 to play with.

red_flanders said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:
RGIII going from the 2nd most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL to the most dysfunctional (or is it the other way around). Feel sorry for the guy. A joy to watch and what an arm. Only Rodgers can throw it better than him imo
Great comment about the franchises. Now give it a couple years and we will be able to say which is most dysfunctional based on whether Griffin turns out well or goes bust. If Griffin becomes a pro bowler that will be serious egg on the face in Washington.

Hugh Jackson should be a good coach for him. Does well with quarterbacks historically. You have to want to be coached, however. It will be interesting.
Agree. I thought the Hugh Jackson selection as head coach was a very good one. And, I hope this time around works for Griffin and he becomes a good/great QB. He was a first year Pro Bowler, but some first year wonder kids did not turn out so good in the long run (e.g. Mirer, rookie of the year then a bust). Promising news for Browns is Griffin took the blame for his time in DC. Now whether that means he is coachable or not remains to be seen.

on3m@n@rmy said:
red_flanders said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:

Agree. I thought the Hugh Jackson selection as head coach was a very good one. And, I hope this time around works for Griffin and he becomes a good/great QB. He was a first year Pro Bowler, but some first year wonder kids did not turn out so good in the long run (e.g. Mirer, rookie of the year then a bust). Promising news for Browns is Griffin took the blame for his time in DC. Now whether that means he is coachable or not remains to be seen.

Looking at the reporting from those close to the situation, it seems well understood that Griffin was a prima donna who was not coachable or liked by his teammates. I think the question is whether he can learn some humility and become a team guy, a coachable guy, a guy who believes he can learn from others.

Well, one of the first things RG3 has said since leaving town was how horrible of a place Washington was to play. Sources also state that Denver was worried about his character and thus passed on him. So, there goes the humility.

I wonder what they think of the other infante terriblé?
movingtarget said:
I give Kelly two seasons to turn things around otherwise I think he will be gone. Baalke needs to make some good pick ups in the draft and I think if Goff is available which is a big maybe at 7, the 49ers will grab him considering their current QB stocks. Baalke is another one who may be looking for another job if he continues to sign non performers. He has $60,000,000.00 to play with.
This is a really interesting point, because Cleveland grabbing RG3 presumes they aren't interested in a QB with the 2nd pick in the draft. So this could benefit SF in that presuming Wentz goes first, with his long-term upside potential, Goff will still be there at 7. I really think Goff is a risk, but he played a fast game in college, and wants to play a fast game, and that's what Kelly has to offer. Plus he's a Pac-12 guy, where Chip came from. Chip has stated he likes Gabbert's short to mid range game, so Goff seems like a guy they'd want, if they think they can teach him. Wheeling and dealing on draft day could get interesting.

I still think as you look at the QB's in the draft, unless I needed a QB this season, or maybe next, I'd see if Connor Cook or Christen Hackenberg fall to round 3 or 4, as both seem to be NFL style QBs with good arms, that need work. How coach-able are they? How much desire do they have? Unknown.

Heck, Wentz is an unknown in some ways. He played at North Dakota, carving up sub-average defenses on an NCAA level. This shows why if you look back several hundred posts I liked AJ McCarron coming out of college. He had a lot of upside, even if he wasn't NFL ready. And he still does. Cincy may be sitting on a little gold mine with him.

on3m@n@rmy said:
red_flanders said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Billie said:

Rick Mirer could have been better though, if his offensive line could have protected him better. That line he played behind let him get pounded badly every week until Mirer became so gunshy, he couldn't play the game anymore...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, one of the first things RG3 has said since leaving town was how horrible of a place Washington was to play. Sources also state that Denver was worried about his character and thus passed on him. So, there goes the humility.

I wonder what they think of the other infante terriblé?
movingtarget said:
I give Kelly two seasons to turn things around otherwise I think he will be gone. Baalke needs to make some good pick ups in the draft and I think if Goff is available which is a big maybe at 7, the 49ers will grab him considering their current QB stocks. Baalke is another one who may be looking for another job if he continues to sign non performers. He has $60,000,000.00 to play with.
This is a really interesting point, because Cleveland grabbing RG3 presumes they aren't interested in a QB with the 2nd pick in the draft. So this could benefit SF in that presuming Wentz goes first, with his long-term upside potential, Goff will still be there at 7. I really think Goff is a risk, but he played a fast game in college, and wants to play a fast game, and that's what Kelly has to offer. Plus he's a Pac-12 guy, where Chip came from. Chip has stated he likes Gabbert's short to mid range game, so Goff seems like a guy they'd want, if they think they can teach him. Wheeling and dealing on draft day could get interesting.

I still think as you look at the QB's in the draft, unless I needed a QB this season, or maybe next, I'd see if Connor Cook or Christen Hackenberg fall to round 3 or 4, as both seem to be NFL style QBs with good arms, that need work. How coach-able are they? How much desire do they have? Unknown.

Heck, Wentz is an unknown in some ways. He played at North Dakota, carving up sub-average defenses on an NCAA level. This shows why if you look back several hundred posts I liked AJ McCarron coming out of college. He had a lot of upside, even if he wasn't NFL ready. And he still does. Cincy may be sitting on a little gold mine with him.

I have heard that Connor Cook has had some disciplinary issues in the past which is never a good sign but the 49ers have spoken of him and Adams also Goff and one or two others. The 49ers need a quick resolution to the Kaep dramas. I still think he will go.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:

How dare you, sir?

We spent many years and many hundreds of millions of dollars becoming the most dysfunctional, laughing stock franchise in history. Nobody's taking that away from us.

Re:

jmdirt said:
RE: CTE:

One of the talking heads on ESPN Radio said "the source (edit) we consulted wondered a loud if steroid, and/or hormone use/abuse is a contributing factor...or THE factor. Is Jones getting info from this guy?..." Caller: "Maybe Jones is paying this guy to say that." Talking head: "So Jones wants to prove that there is 'roid abuse in the league?"...
After I posted this I Google searched a bit and I didn't find research that directly links CTE to steroid use. There is a lot of discussion and questioning about the connection/possible connection between CTE and steroids, but I didn't find what the "source" was referring to.

I don't know this site or this person, but...:
https://www.quora.com/Are-steroids-playing-a-role-in-the-increasing-number-of-star-athletes-suffering-traumatic-brain-injuries

There is a lot of discussion about the indirect role steroids use has on CTE because athletes are bigger and faster so collisions are likely more violent.

Latest word is that the 49ers are keeping Kaepernick. The deadline for getting a deal done is actually 4 PM March 31. Don't know if that is PST!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648638/article/niners-to-keep-kaepernick-unless-blown-away-by-offer

On the subject of QBs, all this talk about arm strength, accuracy, mobility, etc., in judging how successful a QB will be, and here’s a parameter that hadn’t occurred to me: hand size:

Of the 22 [NFL] quarterbacks we looked at, a resounding 50% of them have hands measured greater than or equal to 9.75 inches, and closer to the maximum desired size of 10 inches. Meanwhile, only 13.6% of the top quarterbacks have hands that would be considered “small” or “less than ideal”.

Even with some outliers, there appears to be a significantly better chance for a quarterback with large hands to succeed in the NFL.

Manning and Brees both have hands >/= 10 inches, so do Wilson and Luck. No figure available for Brady. Rodgers, however, has relatively small hands at 9.38 inches, and Rivers is at 9.25 in.

Of the QBs available in the draft, note that Goff has small hands, 9.0 inches!

http://thesportsquotient.com/nfl/2016/3/26/does-a-quarterbacks-hand-size-really-predict-success

The new rule on kickoffs is generating a lot of heated discussion. A lot of dispute over whether kickers can and will put the ball high in the air so that the returner doesn’t have time to run it back. There have been suggestions to treat kickoffs like punts, with the ball live once it hits the ground, and also a suggestion to line up on kicks and returns in a way that reduces the chance of opposing players getting up to high speeds. I also heard that the main reason the NFL hasn’t bitten the bullet and just eliminated kickoffs entirely is because then there wouldn’t be the possibility of onside kicks late in the game when a team that has just scored needs to get the ball again immediately.

The NFL is demanding the NYT retract a story on concussions they published last week, in which they said the NFL ignored the evidence of a link, and compared the NFL to the tobacco industry:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25534637/the-nfl-is-demanding-a-retraction-from-new-york-times-on-concussion-story

Apparently Goff's hands grew between the Combine and his Pro Day to 9 1/8. Call it BS, poor (or favorable) measuring, a growth spurt, but it is what it is. By comparison Wentz has hands 10" in size.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/jared-goff-hands-have-grown-nfl-draft

I'm starting to worry that Wentz is another QB from a relatively small school who put up big numbers, and had a typical NFL QB athletic build and style: Giovanni Carmazzi. Okay, maybe not the same risk, but still, something to think of.

As to kickoffs, I addressed this with my own idea, and Greg Shiano's idea, in the past a few times. Again, I think the NFL could rule that kicks cannot be returned from the end zone, unless the ball bounces first in the field of play. This would prevent some high speed impacts.

Schiano's idea, which was then bantered about and even Goodell talked about it and variations, was that after every TD the scoring team retains possession, getting the football on its own 30, facing fourth-and-15. The team either can go for it or punt it away. An alternative to this would be to just allow the scoring team to have the receiving team get the ball at their own 20 (25, 30) yard line. There was also talk about having a team only able to use this twice a game, among other ideas.

Put another way, you wouldn't have on-sides kickoffs anymore, but what you'd have instead is a borderline desperation play on offense to keep your team in the game, with about the same odds as an on-sides kick, which could be pretty exciting.

I think it's only a matter of time before the NFL all but entirely eliminates the kickoff, and this is the best idea I've heard to do that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107256/article/greg-schiano-explains-idea-on-replacing-nfl-kickoffs

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Apparently Goff's hands grew between the Combine and his Pro Day to 9 1/8. Call it BS, poor (or favorable) measuring, a growth spurt, but it is what it is. By comparison Wentz has hands 10" in size.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/jared-goff-hands-have-grown-nfl-draft

I'm starting to worry that Wentz is another QB from a relatively small school who put up big numbers, and had a typical NFL QB athletic build and style: Giovanni Carmazzi. Okay, maybe not the same risk, but still, something to think of.

As to kickoffs, I addressed this with my own idea, and Greg Shiano's idea, in the past a few times. Again, I think the NFL could rule that kicks cannot be returned from the end zone, unless the ball bounces first in the field of play. This would prevent some high speed impacts.

Schiano's idea, which was then bantered about and even Goodell talked about it and variations, was that after every TD the scoring team retains possession, getting the football on its own 30, facing fourth-and-15. The team either can go for it or punt it away. An alternative to this would be to just allow the scoring team to have the receiving team get the ball at their own 20 (25, 30) yard line. There was also talk about having a team only able to use this twice a game, among other ideas.

Put another way, you wouldn't have on-sides kickoffs anymore, but what you'd have instead is a borderline desperation play on offense to keep your team in the game, with about the same odds as an on-sides kick, which could be pretty exciting.

I think it's only a matter of time before the NFL all but entirely eliminates the kickoff, and this is the best idea I've heard to do that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107256/article/greg-schiano-explains-idea-on-replacing-nfl-kickoffs

I agree about the kick offs but I still think the punts have to kept in the game. Usually with punts now with the hang time there is not as many opportunities for the punt returner but with miss kicks or flatter short kicks the punt returner has a better shot at making big ground. In Rugby League and Rugby Union the play is opened more because of the offside rule which the NFL obviously does not have. Defenders cannot touch the attacking players if they are in front of the kicker when the ball is kicked otherwise it's a penalty.

The talk of Goff's hand size reminds me of one fumble prone QB who also had very small hand size, but who was not fumble prone his whole career. When he had a good OL in front of him and had good receivers he did not fumble much. Only when the OL and WR play deteriorated through attrition did he start fumbling the ball a lot under defensive pressure. That would be Seattle QB Dave Kreig, who through most of his career was throwing to Steve Largent with decent linemen in front of him (Blair Bush, Bryan Millard, Ed Bailey, & thee Reggie McKenzie). As those OL either retired, or play deminished, adding to Largent's retirement around 1990, things started getting rough in the pocket for QB Kreig (and that was under the fair weather provided by the cover of the Kingdome in Seattle). So, as long as Goff has a decent OL in front of him giving him protection, has good receivers who can get separation, and he can get through his reads and deliver the ball quickly enough, then he should be okay with that small hand size. And if not he will just have to learn to cover up better, take sacks, extend plays, or throw the ball away.

As a fan though, I always feel much more comfortable if the QB has a big hand size, even though a QB will have to change the grip and sometimes the velocity when conditions make for a wet, heavy ball.

Here is an interesting read about how NBA/NCAA basketball might help change the way the game of football is played, by a different kind of player becoming more available to football programs at many levels (HS, NCAA, NFL, and maybe youth football)
http://www.footballstudyhall.com/20...tball-matters-to-football-march-madness-Gronk

From the basketball side, the author cites examples from how the Golden State Warriors play, and uses evidence from in this current March Madness upset of #2 seed MSU by a #15 seed Middle Tenn State.

On the football side he looks at dominant play by a player with Gronkowski's physical toolset, and how the Pats use him as a model other teams will want to copy, IF the players with that toolset ever become available. I think the affect if this were to happen would be more long term (e.g. 10-20 years), but that is just my thought. My other thought is, while NFL teams would love to have a Gronk on their roster and there are not many football players with Gronk's toolset, MOST basketball players are not really tough enough to play football, except maybe as a TE in the slot or isolated on one side (but not lined up on the line to block).

The article even touches on CTE, and how that might not deter players from pursuing careers in the NFL. The article does not discuss influences in a child's upbringing (e.g. the fearful mother) that might sway future athletes choice of sport. I don't think the CTE scare is at a point where it will reduce the number of kids playing football through high school or even college. So far as I can see, football is not going away for that reason just yet. The way the game is played will likely change more, but the sport will not be going away any time soon.

Regarding the kickoff / rule changes, I have come to hate kickoffs. Just get rid of them and place the ball at the 20 or 25 yard line, but keep the onside kick option. The game might actually feel like it is moving faster by eliminating one annoying commercial break. For example:
* Current system: TD-commercial-kick-commercial (eliminate this one)-play resumes
* No kick off: TD-commercial-spot the ball and play on!
Guaranteed the talking heads already understand and will hold on for dear life to the current system to keep more of that green flowing.

German Football League player draws interest from NFL's Viks.
https://thevikingage.com/2016/03/31/moritz-boehringer-minnesota-vikings-german-football-league/
6'4", 222 lbs, 4.39 40-yard dash
Watch the video in the link. He looks like an NFL player going against high school kids because of the speed difference. Corners realizing the speed difference play off him 10 yards and still cannot cover him deep. So, interesting find maybe, but he's not been challenged from a talent standpoint.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't really care for RGiii on the Browns that much. The AFC North is a tough division(just look at that Steelers Bengals game from last year) and I don't think he is going to be able to hold up. Not that I would complain too much though being a Ravens fan.

I feel like the perfect place for RGiii would have been Dallas where he could sit behind Romo and learn and if/when Romo gets injured he can step into a starting job behind that O-line and with Dez to throw to. Plus if he really hated Washington he could play them twice a year. Guessing Dallas wasn't interested though which makes some sense given his injury history.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

I always thought there was more chance of him going to Denver than staying, even with a new coach at the 49ers. The 49ers are on the rebuild and will be hoping for some good pick ups in the draft including a quality QB. If Kaep stays at the 49ers he will only be a distraction. Most of the fans want an end to all of the speculation.
The trade still may not happen but probably will. Kaeps reaction to Chip's comment about wanting the QB's to compete was telling. Kaep didn't want to be part of a QB competition. If Kaep goes to Denver he will have to compete with Mark Sanchez. Greener pastures on the other side of the mountains? Ha.

Odd thing about Kaep in Denver is that he is not a good scheme fit in Denver. Denver would have to change everything for him, or Denver would tell Kaep something like, "O.k. Kaep, go out there use your head and do what Manning did." Not happening cuz he doesn't have the head for it.

If you look at Gary Kubiak's past offenses, and what he mostly ran with Osweiller, he tends to like a moving pocket where a QB scans sections of the field looking for mismatches or pockets in zones. Can Kaep fit into that? I honestly don't know. This sounds like a recipe for him doing what he's done his entire career going back to college, where he rolls out, and after not liking the first target or two makes a bad decision forcing the ball, or just takes off running. Kubiak was wise enough when Manning was in there to let PM stay in the pocket and have free will to audible any play. But Kaep isn't PM, not even close, obviously. So, we'll see...

With Kaep off to Denver, I'm all but certain the 49ers will now take Goff if he's there at #7. Goff fits what Kelly wants, and he's a Pac-12 guy. I can easily see him sitting behind Gabbert for the most part, pushing Gabbert, and ending up with the job late in the season, or in 2017. Keep in mind, Kelly likes two QBs on his team capable of starting, even if both aren't stars.

With Cleveland, my gut is really telling me they'll take Wentz with the #2 pick, unless someone offers them a sweet deal, or someone offers Tennessee a sweet deal to have the top pick to get Wentz, in which case the Browns may either take Tunsil, or try to deal #2. But taking Wentz is interesting because it means you have McCown the likely starter due to stability, RG3 the potential to make a real splash and even steal the top job. And Wentz, to sit for most of the year, play some garbage time, and see if he can develop for 2017 and beyond, and if RG3 and he have a competition after McCown retires after this season. If you look at the Browns front office they are running a Moneyball type plan with a lot of number crunching from MBA type thinking, so this layered appraoch also makes sense for the long term. It's certainly intriguing.

I'm not 100% sure that the Titans will take Tunsil though. I think they'd like to deal the pick. Or they'll take Jalen Ramsey whose stock has risen at the right time, when people already had him very high on their list, as a DB who excels at every level of the position with an NFL mind, and a strong desire to be the very best for any team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2071515/jalen-ramsey

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

I always thought there was more chance of him going to Denver than staying, even with a new coach at the 49ers. The 49ers are on the rebuild and will be hoping for some good pick ups in the draft including a quality QB. If Kaep stays at the 49ers he will only be a distraction. Most of the fans want an end to all of the speculation.
The trade still may not happen but probably will. Kaeps reaction to Chip's comment about wanting the QB's to compete was telling. Kaep didn't want to be part of a QB competition. If Kaep goes to Denver he will have to compete with Mark Sanchez. Greener pastures on the other side of the mountains? Ha.

Odd thing about Kaep in Denver is that he is not a good scheme fit in Denver. Denver would have to change everything for him, or Denver would tell Kaep something like, "O.k. Kaep, go out there use your head and do what Manning did." Not happening cuz he doesn't have the head for it.

They just have to re-structure his contract and Denver has salary cap issues so it might mean that Kaep gets a bigger salary next year or something and they have some bonus situation. Sanchez has a chance to seize this opportunity with both hands especially if Kaep repeats 2015. If he plays like that again, Denver will cut him, it was depressing to watch.

Alpe d'Huez said:
If you look at Gary Kubiak's past offenses, and what he mostly ran with Osweiller, he tends to like a moving pocket where a QB scans sections of the field looking for mismatches or pockets in zones. Can Kaep fit into that? I honestly don't know. This sounds like a recipe for him doing what he's done his entire career going back to college, where he rolls out, and after not liking the first target or two makes a bad decision forcing the ball, or just takes off running. Kubiak was wise enough when Manning was in there to let PM stay in the pocket and have free will to audible any play. But Kaep isn't PM, not even close, obviously. So, we'll see...

With Kaep off to Denver, I'm all but certain the 49ers will now take Goff if he's there at #7. Goff fits what Kelly wants, and he's a Pac-12 guy. I can easily see him sitting behind Gabbert for the most part, pushing Gabbert, and ending up with the job late in the season, or in 2017. Keep in mind, Kelly likes two QBs on his team capable of starting, even if both aren't stars.

With Cleveland, my gut is really telling me they'll take Wentz with the #2 pick, unless someone offers them a sweet deal, or someone offers Tennessee a sweet deal to have the top pick to get Wentz, in which case the Browns may either take Tunsil, or try to deal #2. But taking Wentz is interesting because it means you have McCown the likely starter due to stability, RG3 the potential to make a real splash and even steal the top job. And Wentz, to sit for most of the year, play some garbage time, and see if he can develop for 2017 and beyond, and if RG3 and he have a competition after McCown retires after this season. If you look at the Browns front office they are running a Moneyball type plan with a lot of number crunching from MBA type thinking, so this layered appraoch also makes sense for the long term. It's certainly intriguing.

I'm not 100% sure that the Titans will take Tunsil though. I think they'd like to deal the pick. Or they'll take Jalen Ramsey whose stock has risen at the right time, when people already had him very high on their list, as a DB who excels at every level of the position with an NFL mind, and a strong desire to be the very best for any team.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2071515/jalen-ramsey

I agree that Wentz won't last till 7 which is the 49ers pick but I still think Goff is their preferred pick. I can't see the 49ers going defense for their first pick and let's face it, they have so many holes to fill anyway. Everyone is saying there will be plenty of good defenders in later rounds of the draft this year. The best running backs won't be taken near the top of the draft either so there could be some good pick ups there for teams that are looking for one. Denver's Super Bowl win has only increased the stocks this year for quality defenders and apart from Goff and Wentz I can't see QBs having priority for most teams.

Good points both of you on Kubiak's offenses and the salary structuring for a Colin deal.

On Wentz, I also think the Browns will take him. Granted the Browns could trade out of the position if they did not want to take Wentz and use that to add to their team through the draft, but then they would really be rolling the dice with RGIII. Mike Mayock thinks the Browns would be crazy to not take Wentz, so I'll hang my hat on that opinion.

Finally saw the movie Concussion. Then did a little Google search to find a bit more on the history of the head trauma in the NFL. Remember the days when violent collisions were applauded and revered? Seems the NFL and helmet manufacturers have recognized the obvious dangers for a long time, like since the 70's. The movie makes a great point with the woodpecker analogy. The human head is just not designed to handle those kinds of forces. The solution? They started putting one of these stickers on all helmets:

18w2ot5tva8xhjpg.jpg

True other things have been done to make the game safer, such as rule changes, there has been a lot of focus on proper tackling technique, and changing the tackling technique to one that is safer. But I do not think the way the game is played is done evolving. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and more needs to be done. Flag football anyone? I say that kind of tongue in cheek, but that might not be far away from where the game should be.

In a few years, possibly, there will be a test for CTE. That will have huge consequences. What will players do when they know for certain that they have the disease, and that it will get worse (more accurately, will get worse faster) if they continue playing? Already we’ve seen a few players retire early, citing health concerns. And these players are just doing it as a precaution, not because they know with any certainty that if they continue playing they will wind up with CTE.

I really don’t understand the Kaepernick situation. He doesn’t want to stay in SF, which has the one coach in the NFL who would seem to be the best fit for him, because he would have to compete with Gabbert. There seems to be the belief on both sides that he won’t win the job. So he goes to Denver, where he will compete with Sanchez? And may have to take a salary cut in the process?

What’s in it for him? Does he think he has a better chance of beating out Sanchez than Gabbert? Or does he just hate SF so much that he doesn’t care?

And what’s in it for Denver? Why does everyone keep saying that a QB that the 49ers don’t think is as good as Gabbert is an upgrade over Sanchez at Denver? On what basis?

What am I missing here? Denver was SB champion, and they want to acquire as their starter a QB not considered good enough to start on one of the worst teams in the NFL? Maybe Kubiak can devise a system that brings Kaep to his former level, but what he does know that Kelly doesn’t? Maybe because Denver has better WR? Then why don’t the Niners keep Kaep and draft a WR?

On the plus side, Alpe, the Raiders are looking good in that division. The Broncos’ defense has lost some important pieces, and if they like Kaepernick as their starter, that says a lot about how weak their offense is likely to be. The Chargers always disappoint. I’d have to say KC looks like the strong favorite to win that division, but I could see the Raiders finishing second and being a strong WC contender.

TRENDING THREADS