• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 278 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
http://teamstre.am/2fjU8gB
Green Laser Shined on Brock Osweiler During Texans vs. Raiders | Bleacher Report.

Dont know who did the laser trash and the culprit was not caught, but if Mex citizen just dont play games down there anymore. The fan caught in Detroit got a life ban. Chumps!

This seemed to be fashionable for a while even including shining lasers into the cockpits of planes during landings. I guess stupidity never goes out of fashion.

on3m@n@rmy said:
http://teamstre.am/2fjU8gB
Green Laser Shined on Brock Osweiler During Texans vs. Raiders | Bleacher Report.

Dont know who did the laser trash and the culprit was not caught, but if Mex citizen just dont play games down there anymore. The fan caught in Detroit got a life ban. Chumps!

This sort of idiocy happens in soccer. It's happened in European leagues, in international games and saw this in Brazil during one or two games at the last World Cup. Idiots come in all shapes, sizes, colors, backgrounds, etc...Wasting a good (not sure how much it was, but let's assume it was quite a bit) ticket and if that makes direct contact with a player or another fans eye, it could be very dangerous. Yes, chumps is the right word.

After decades of getting absolutely hosed by the refs and the league, it is amazing to see the Raiders getting calls. Been happening all year. It does seem a bit curious, but I can't make too much of one game after such a long beating. If that happened every game for 2 years it wouldn't make up for what that team has had to endure from the refs.

Re:

red_flanders said:
After decades of getting absolutely hosed by the refs and the league, it is amazing to see the Raiders getting calls. Been happening all year.
They have? All year?

http://www.nflpenalties.com

Most penalized team in the NFL. Fair or not, subjective or not. One questionable and one favorable call in one game (they probably would have won anyway) doesn't change much if you ask me.

I'm not much on conspiracies, though I have thought for many years the Raiders were probably penalized a little unfairly. But most of all, it's all the great players left out of the Hall of Fame, or took way too long to get in that's nor right. I've listed them many times.

Re:

veganrob said:
Went to the Lions game today. Another exciting win for them. People are starting to get on board with them now.

It's almost the law that there will only be one score in it at the end.

Washington failed to take their chances in the first half and ended up playing catch-up. The final quarter was a shoot out, but whenever the Redskins got within one score, Dallas just marched down the field. The Redskins outgained the Cowboys by a large margin, but the Cowboys' offence took pretty much every chance they had (their wide range of threats is a major weapon when they get into the red zone and Prescott seems unphased by anything).

Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
veganrob said:
Went to the Lions game today. Another exciting win for them. People are starting to get on board with them now.

It's almost the law that there will only be one score in it at the end.

Washington failed to take their chances in the first half and ended up playing catch-up. The final quarter was a shoot out, but whenever the Redskins got within one score, Dallas just marched down the field. The Redskins outgained the Cowboys by a large margin, but the Cowboys' offence took pretty much every chance they had (their wide range of threats is a major weapon when they get into the red zone and Prescott seems unphased by anything).

The two rookies for the Cowboys Prescott and Elliott always manage to get the Cowboys out of the tight games but from what I heard of the game the Redskins should have won according to some of the reports anyway. Like you said, too much of a head start for Dallas.

What a difference a year makes. The Cardinals and Panthers and Green Bay have been mediocre. Surprised by the Bucs win over the Seahawks but the last time I watched a Bucs game a few weeks ago they were pretty impressive. The Broncos are not exactly setting the world on fire either. Things are more predictable at the other end of the standings with the Browns, the 49ers and the Bears. The 49ers have been improving over the past few weeks as has Kaep but they just can't crack the win usually because of turnovers and missed tackles. They kept Ajayi quiet but couldn't stop Tannehill finding the wide receivers. 49ers play the Bears next week. Battle of the high draft picks !

Re:

movingtarget said:
What a difference a year makes. The Cardinals and Panthers and Green Bay have been mediocre. Surprised by the Bucs win over the Seahawks but the last time I watched a Bucs game a few weeks ago they were pretty impressive. The Broncos are not exactly setting the world on fire either. Things are more predictable at the other end of the standings with the Browns, the 49ers and the Bears. The 49ers have been improving over the past few weeks as has Kaep but they just can't crack the win usually because of turnovers and missed tackles. They kept Ajayi quiet but couldn't stop Tannehill finding the wide receivers. 49ers play the Bears next week. Battle of the high draft picks !

That Seattle game was atrocious. Defenses were predictably good, though obviously the Bucs were more impressive. The Seahawks had numerous injuries in the past couple of weeks, but that shouldn't be an excuse. This was just a bad, bad game for them. They have the disappointing Panthers in Seattle next week, which should be a good chance for the Hawks, but that O line is just....horrawful. Injuries didn't help, but when you are able to field a pro team out on the field, you still have to perform with what you have. The Hawks didn't do that. Good thing for them is that the other teams in the division keep underperforming (except the 49ers, who as you said have actually played decent of late, but can't convert and get that W). The question now is, who can challenge the Cowboys in the NFC? I still think the Hawks are the one that can, and barring a terrible run of form, the Hawks will win the division and get a high seed. The #1 seed is still attainable, but yesterday's loss didn't help. Still think, if both teams play to their potential, it will be a Dallas vs Seattle NFC title game. The other teams are inconsistent. The Packers are dying a slow death, and the Vikings aren't the team they were in the first 5 games. The NFC east might be the toughest division in the conference, but Dallas are the team to beat.

The AFC seems loaded. The Steelers and Ravens are starting to click, so that division should be interesting. The Patriots are still the ones to beat in the east, but man the Dolphins are killin' it now!

The Raiders keep winning and so the Chiefs, which hurts the Broncos, obviously. They aren't playing bad, but when you have the other two (and even the Chargers are much better than their record, they just couldn't close a number of the early games away) teams playing so well, it leaves no room for error.

I agree, while Tampa has run off two very good wins in a row, it was really Seattle that lost yesterday. They couldn't string together anything on offense. I could be smug and say I predicted their OL would "regress" but it was more than that. They couldn't run, Wilson's timing was off, and his passes down the field were often just off target. Still, Tampa overall looks good, and if they can keep this up, they can challenge Atlanta for that division. Tampa has given up big plays and points in the past, but if they keep it together, they could be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

The other danger team to me is Washington. Kirk Cousins looks like the next Aaron Rodgers with his arm. It's impressive how accurate he is on deep throws down field, and at going quickly through progressions. They lost to Dallas, but they looked good in doing so.

KC's win at Denver showed a lot of grit. They are a very balanced team, and played between good, and very good, in every phase, and best when they needed to. I keep wanting to say, "Alex Smith can't do ___" but he does everything well enough to win, which is hard to find fault with. Denver is still a good team, and it's not Simeion, who played okay and made some clutch throws. In this case I'd just say KC outplayed them in the clutch.

I have to feel bad for Carolina, they still have a lot of talent, but they just can't seem to close out games they might be able to win. If they did, they'd be 7-4 instead of 4-7. Oakland on the other hand seems to have a powerful and dangerous offense, but their defense concerns me. However, despite giving up some big plays, the also make big plays when they need to. Mack is just an amazing athlete. Chants of MVP for Carr who really toughed it out after dislocating the pinky on his throwing hand, but I'd give the MVP to OT Donald Penn. Even Latavius Murray was crediting him and the OL.

As to Dallas the one thing they have is an OL and running game that will be able to grind out wins late in the season and into the playoffs. And their QB is good enough that if they have to throw, they can. I would like to see them play a healthy Seattle in the playoffs, certainly. Who wouldn't?

I'm getting sketchy on the Patriots. Yes, they won again, without Gronk, and Bennet limited. But their offensive line is sketchy, and Brady can still make throws, but I'm just sensing he may be nearing the end. It doesn't happen overnight though, so we'll see.

I too like the way the Ravens are playing. Flacco is a bit off, but their defense is superb. I really look forward to their game against Miami. But their schedule is tough. @ Patriots, Eagles, @Steelers, @ Bengals.

Speaking of, I still think the Steelers are a top team in the AFC. If they can stay healthy, look out, especially on offense. They play the Giants, who just eeked out a win against Cleveland. I almost expect a Steeler blowout here. After that, it's @ Bills, @ Bengals, Ravens and Browns.

Props to Matt Barkley. He looked better than he ever has as a QB. This is the Barkley people expected to see when he was a sophomore and junior at USC. Only his arm looked even better. He damn near pulled off an amazing win.

The last play of the Ravens' game was bizarre. There were 11 seconds on the clock and they were on 4th down at their own end of the field. They used a loophole in the rulebook and their offensive line all held the opposite defensive lineman and flags went flying everywhere. When I saw it I thought WTF, but apparently the clock does not stop for a penalty on the offense. As such, the punter waited until the clock ran out and then stepped out of his endzone, giving up a safety, but ensuring a win. In that way they avoided the risk of a crazy punt return or hail mary pass.

Another for discussion was the 62 yard field goal attempt by Denver with a minute left in overtime. Normally I would say that going for a field goal from that distance is sub-optimal, but with the posiition in the division Kubiak took the risk rather than the relatively safe option of punting, which would probably led to a tie or the other risky option of going for a first down (on 4th and 10).

I'm surprised by how bad the Seahawks were (even considering their injuries). But from the highlights and the report, the Bucaneers' defense played a very strong game.

No official news on the Gronk's injury, but @Profootballtalk states that it's not serious. He's been in the wars for the last couple of weeks and he is a vital component of the Patriots' offence.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree, while Tampa has run off two very good wins in a row, it was really Seattle that lost yesterday. They couldn't string together anything on offense. I could be smug and say I predicted their OL would "regress" but it was more than that. They couldn't run, Wilson's timing was off, and his passes down the field were often just off target. Still, Tampa overall looks good, and if they can keep this up, they can challenge Atlanta for that division. Tampa has given up big plays and points in the past, but if they keep it together, they could be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

The other danger team to me is Washington. Kirk Cousins looks like the next Aaron Rodgers with his arm. It's impressive how accurate he is on deep throws down field, and at going quickly through progressions. They lost to Dallas, but they looked good in doing so.

KC's win at Denver showed a lot of grit. They are a very balanced team, and played between good, and very good, in every phase, and best when they needed to. I keep wanting to say, "Alex Smith can't do ___" but he does everything well enough to win, which is hard to find fault with. Denver is still a good team, and it's not Simeion, who played okay and made some clutch throws. In this case I'd just say KC outplayed them in the clutch.

I have to feel bad for Carolina, they still have a lot of talent, but they just can't seem to close out games they might be able to win. If they did, they'd be 7-4 instead of 4-7. Oakland on the other hand seems to have a powerful and dangerous offense, but their defense concerns me. However, despite giving up some big plays, the also make big plays when they need to. Mack is just an amazing athlete. Chants of MVP for Carr who really toughed it out after dislocating the pinky on his throwing hand, but I'd give the MVP to OT Donald Penn. Even Latavius Murray was crediting him and the OL.

As to Dallas the one thing they have is an OL and running game that will be able to grind out wins late in the season and into the playoffs. And their QB is good enough that if they have to throw, they can. I would like to see them play a healthy Seattle in the playoffs, certainly. Who wouldn't?

I'm getting sketchy on the Patriots. Yes, they won again, without Gronk, and Bennet limited. But their offensive line is sketchy, and Brady can still make throws, but I'm just sensing he may be nearing the end. It doesn't happen overnight though, so we'll see.

I too like the way the Ravens are playing. Flacco is a bit off, but their defense is superb. I really look forward to their game against Miami. But their schedule is tough. @ Patriots, Eagles, @Steelers, @ Bengals.

Speaking of, I still think the Steelers are a top team in the AFC. If they can stay healthy, look out, especially on offense. They play the Giants, who just eeked out a win against Cleveland. I almost expect a Steeler blowout here. After that, it's @ Bills, @ Bengals, Ravens and Browns.

Props to Matt Barkley. He looked better than he ever has as a QB. This is the Barkley people expected to see when he was a sophomore and junior at USC. Only his arm looked even better. He damn near pulled off an amazing win.

Same thing with the Chargers. 5-6, but could easily be 8-3 or even 9-2 (maybe that's pushing it). Then again, had they won all those games, we'd be saying how 'fortunate' they are/were.

BullsFan22 said:
The AFC seems loaded. The Steelers and Ravens are starting to click, so that division should be interesting. The Patriots are still the ones to beat in the east, but man the Dolphins are killin' it now!

They've won six in a row and some of those were against pretty decent teams. However, the last two games have probably been the least impressive of those wins (OK, SF might be improving, but the only way for them to get worse, would be to become the Browns).

Anyway, we're getting to the pointy end of the season. There are quite a few decent teams with 6-5 or 7-4 records, who could get into a groove.

Cowboys only have to continue doing what they are doing to to be a threat for the Super Bowl but they need Prescott and Elliottt to stay healthy. Washington and Cousins have also looked good. The Seahawks might be inconsistent but they will be there. I am not sold on the Patriots this year even though they have the record on the board. Kansas looking at their win record from last year into this year is pretty impressive. The Raiders doing well also. Denver I don't like much either at least to win the SB.It's going to be an interesting playoff series as many teams are close as far as talent and results go. Cowboys have been consistent but often the team with momentum going into the playoffs is hard to beat. Some commentators think the Cowboys are a year or two off winning the SB but that might be short changing them as they keep finding ways to win. I never saw the Panthers being beaten last year but I underestimated Denver's defense and Newton had a forgettable SB.

Right all of you are regarding the Seattle Tampa game. I must eat some humble pie on that. The regression of Seattle was aided by a couple of things. First, Center Justin Britt, who is having a pro bowl season and has been making the line calls, was a late scratch on Sunday morning. Starting in his place was 6'1" rookie Joey Hunt, who cannot make line calls. This required Wilson to make the line calls. As Britt was an unexpected scratch, Wilson may not have prepared much for that role during the week. Second, the Tampa defense did a good job at taking away Wilson's first passing option which allowed pass rush to get pressure. Third, if you watched the game, I do not recall Seattle running any screen passes. With that OL, screens might not be an area they are good at. But these are NFL linemen who must have SOME experience with screens, and that is an area Seattle definately needs to develop to help Wilson get the ball out of his hands more quickly.

If the season ended today, we'd see out of the NFC:
Dallas & Seattle getting the bye
Washington would play at Detroit, and NY Giants at Falcons.

In the AFC:
New England and Oakland get the bye.
Miami goes to Baltimore, and KC goes to Houston.

But I like using the NFL playoff predictor (link below) and came up with this:

The NFC playoffs are identical to where things stand now. Identical!

The AFC has both NE and Oakland at 12-4, But the Chiefs going to Pittsburgh, and Miami going to Houston.

Despite Tampa being on a roll, I had a hard time finding enough wins for them to top Atlanta. Maybe because I don't see them beating both Dallas and NO on the road. I also think of Denver as being good still, but they end up on the outside looking in as well. NE will be motivated to beat Denver. Not just for perceived rivalry, but to keep ahead of the conference. But if New England loses to Denver, and/or has to beat Miami in the final game of the year to get a bye, they probably will, which could sink Miami out of the playoffs at 10-6. There are also scenarios where Denver wins out, and gets the #1 seed. But also they lose just one game against either Oakland or KC, and they're out of the playoffs at 11-5.

Give it a try!

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture/predictor

Re:

Tank Engine said:
The last play of the Ravens' game was bizarre. There were 11 seconds on the clock and they were on 4th down at their own end of the field. They used a loophole in the rulebook and their offensive line all held the opposite defensive lineman and flags went flying everywhere. When I saw it I thought WTF, but apparently the clock does not stop for a penalty on the offense. As such, the punter waited until the clock ran out and then stepped out of his endzone, giving up a safety, but ensuring a win. In that way they avoided the risk of a crazy punt return or hail mary pass. .

I saw that, no wonder those teams dislike each other. :lol:

leftover pie said:
Tank Engine said:
The last play of the Ravens' game was bizarre. There were 11 seconds on the clock and they were on 4th down at their own end of the field. They used a loophole in the rulebook and their offensive line all held the opposite defensive lineman and flags went flying everywhere. When I saw it I thought WTF, but apparently the clock does not stop for a penalty on the offense. As such, the punter waited until the clock ran out and then stepped out of his endzone, giving up a safety, but ensuring a win. In that way they avoided the risk of a crazy punt return or hail mary pass. .

I saw that, no wonder those teams dislike each other. :lol:

The 49ers did the same thing a few weeks ago but it used against the oppositions receivers instead. The NFL is already talking about a rule change as they don't think it's in the spirit of the game.

TRENDING THREADS