• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 284 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Also agree adding more games is bad idea. What do you think about haying one or two NFL mid terms (breaks), maybe one at Thanksgiving or one the week of Christmas? By break, I mean giving the players the entire week of play off. How sucky was that for Derek Carr and Tyler Lockett who spent their Christmas in the hospital having surgery for broken legs. Don't know if you saw Lockett's break, but it looked as horrible as the one by LT on Joe Theisman that ended Joe's career.

Speaking of bye weeks, forget his name, but it was proposed by Steven A. Smith's cohort on the "First Take" show that Thursday Night Football only be played by teams that have come off a bye week so that there would be no 'short weeks' (play on Thursday after just 4 days rest following a Sunday game). The objective being player health and safety by eliminating the 4-day rest time, since there is more risk to injury on just 4 days of rest, which was a recent complaint by Richard Sherman. I like the idea but not given it much thought. Anyone have thoughts on any of that?

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Speaking of bye weeks, forget his name, but it was proposed by Steven A. Smith's cohort on the "First Take" show that Thursday Night Football only be played by teams that have come off a bye week so that there would be no 'short weeks' (play on Thursday after just 4 days rest following a Sunday game). The objective being player health and safety by eliminating the 4-day rest time, since there is more risk to injury on just 4 days of rest, which was a recent complaint by Richard Sherman. I like the idea but not given it much thought. Anyone have thoughts on any of that?
The vast majority of players never liked the Thursday night game for the short turn around from Sunday as you pointed out. It's even worse for the visiting team having to leave the proceeding Wednesday AM, and flying across the country in some cases. That does sound like a sensible change to make if the legistics of scheduling could be worked out. I thought the addition of a Sunday night game by the NFL was brilliant, especially when they can flex the schedule toward the end of the season. I never understood the rational behind TNF...it seems many times to look as if the players & coaching staff don't want to be there.

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
@ on3m@n@rmy

I can only suggest you check out that RadioLab expose. Fascinating stuff: Indian wars, Ivy league schools and young men proving their manhood, Indian residential schools and a football team with and eccentric coach testing the rules. Good stuff.

$=the human trash heap in so many ways. No?

Nomad said:
QB ratings through week 16:

http://www.ibtimes.com/best-nfl-quarterbacks-2016-ranking-all-32-starting-qbs-season-2466942

Brady #1 (no surprises there), Prescott pulling in #3...amazing (is it bye-bye for Romo?)
Cowboys would love to get draft picks for Romo by teading him. And there are plenty of teams needing QB help. Problem is Romo is 36 years old and has 3 years left on his contract [link http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/ ] that pays him $18M per year average, has $55M guaranteed, with $18M signing bonus. And he is not a free agent until 2020. I don't know squat about contracts and how it factors into trades, but it seems the team he would be traded to would have to pony up quite a bit of cash plus picks for a 36 YO choking QB. I can't see that happening.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
QB ratings through week 16:

http://www.ibtimes.com/best-nfl-quarterbacks-2016-ranking-all-32-starting-qbs-season-2466942

Brady #1 (no surprises there), Prescott pulling in #3...amazing (is it bye-bye for Romo?)
Cowboys would love to get draft picks for Romo by teading him. And there are plenty of teams needing QB help. Problem is Romo is 36 years old and has 3 years left on his contract [link http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/ ] that pays him $18M per year average, has $55M guaranteed, with $18M signing bonus. And he is not a free agent until 2020. I don't know squat about contracts and how it factors into trades, but it seems the team he would be traded to would have to pony up quite a bit of cash plus picks for a 36 YO choking QB. I can't see that happening.

Maybe Romo will retire before he he intended to. Carson Palmer is even older. Brady wants to keep playing it seems. It would be hard for Romo to go to another team at this stage of his career and if a team does decide to take on Romo they are taking on an aging, talented, injury prone QB who will only be there as a possible mentor and short term solution. That's a lot of potential for problems plus it will come at a high financial cost. I'm not sure even a team desperate for a QB want to take that on. There is a more chance that a team would take on someone like Kaep but they would still have to be pretty desperate.

Word is leaking out of the 49ers organization that Chip Kelly is about to be let go along with the GM Trent Baalke. The odds are that all of the coaches will go just like last year. Commentators thought that the owners would either wipe the slate clean or keep the coaches for one more year and move the GM on but it seems that the former is about to happen.That will be four coaches in four years for the 49ers organization something even the Browns have not achieved ! After getting rid of a first time head coach last year in Jim Tomsula with five wins under his belt I had the feeling that Chip would be lucky to get another year based on only two wins this year so far and most people or everybody gives them no chance of beating Seattle. Plus they have the worst defense in the NFL and a low ranking QB. It seems this will be the beginning of the true rebuild which should have happened last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaep, Torrey Smith and quite a few other players either traded or moving on. There has been some talk of the Shanahans but also quite a few other names for GM and head coach. Others have said that they would like to see Steve Young involved in some capacity. They hardly spent any money on free agents this year but now they won't have a choice. They picked up a few good players in this year's draft but they are works in progress and hopefully their best years are ahead of them and they will need some good picks again in the next draft.

9ers. Well, I'm generally not a fan of letting a coach go after or 1, two or even three years. But a coach also has to have a good plan. And I am not sure Kelly's plan can work in the NFL. And the plan I am referring to is the fast-paced 85 - 90 offensive plays per game style of offense. The combination of his experience at both Philadelphia and San Francisco shows that style is really not going to work. So I think in San Fran's case the owners would be justified in hitting the eject button.

on3m@n@rmy said:
9ers. Well, I'm generally not a fan of letting a coach go after or 1, two or even three years. But a coach also has to have a good plan. And I am not sure Kelly's plan can work in the NFL. And the plan I am referring to is the fast-paced 85 - 90 offensive plays per game style of offense. The combination of his experience at both Philadelphia and San Francisco shows that style is really not going to work. So I think in San Fran's case the owners would be justified in hitting the eject button.

A lot of people would agree with you although his first two years with the Eagles were good but then he had a much better team than the current 49ers team. The offense has slowed throughout the season but is still quick compared to most others. Oregon already has a new head coach so he won't be returning there. Where this leaves Chip as far as NFL jobs go is a big question. After what happened at his past two teams I think GMs will be gun shy although both sets of circumstances were completely different. The 49ers situation is not his doing completely especially with such a lack of depth in the squad which was made plain after early season injuries and with a QB who is hot and cold from week to week but mostly cold and a GM who has taken a lot of risks drafting talented players who had bad injuries and never got going on the field. It's a bit of mess all round.

Some NFL GM might offer Chip an OC position. Not HC though. That's my guess.

Edit: forgot to mention why his experiment in Philly did not work out as he hoped. It was not because he did not have success in Philly. It was because game officials dictate the pace of the game so he cannot run 85 to 90 plays per game. An SF sports writer did an article on that after this preseason. I don't know how many plays per game SF ran this season so far. That's 1 theory anyway.

My initial thoughts are in the AFC the Patriots really do look like a SB champion, across the board. I see the Steelers having little trouble with Miami, it gets really interesting though if they go to Kansas City.

In the NFC, I like Seattle's chances over Detroit for sure, the Packer-Giant game is much tougher to call, and it looks to be very cold weather next weekend there. I think the Packers are a better team, but the matchups seem to favor the Giants. New York has a recent history of going into Lambeau, and upending the Packers. I think if they can get past Green Bay, the go to Atlanta, where I think they could win also. That could lead to a rematch with Dallas, who they beat twice this year already, if they won that, and New England ran the table in the AFC, we could see another Patriot-Giant Super Bowl, and one where the Giants ride a late streaking defense.

And there's another game, Oakland vs. Houston. Brock Osweiller or Tom Savage vs. Connor Cook...

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
My initial thoughts are in the AFC the Patriots really do look like a SB champion, across the board. I see the Steelers having little trouble with Miami, it gets really interesting though if they go to Kansas City.

In the NFC, I like Seattle's chances over Detroit for sure, the Packer-Giant game is much tougher to call, and it looks to be very cold weather next weekend there. I think the Packers are a better team, but the matchups seem to favor the Giants. New York has a recent history of going into Lambeau, and upending the Packers. I think if they can get past Green Bay, the go to Atlanta, where I think they could win also. That could lead to a rematch with Dallas, who they beat twice this year already, if they won that, and New England ran the table in the AFC, we could see another Patriot-Giant Super Bowl, and one where the Giants ride a late streaking defense.

And there's another game, Oakland vs. Houston. Brock Osweiller or Tom Savage vs. Connor Cook...

Oakland v Houston will be a battle of the mediocre QBs. Seahawks need to up their game if they want to contend. I can't see them going far. Atlanta and the Chiefs are the teams that could make it interesting but I agree that the the Patriots look solid. I have cooled a little on the Cowboys based on the past few weeks. Rodgers and Green Bay turned around their mid season slump and look pretty good but probably not good enough.

Re:

Billie said:
49ers are doomed as long as that Yed guy is in charge. Nepotism at its finest.

Hope Broncos hire Shanny jr. Keep Wade Philips. Don't change too much.

Now that the Denver position is vacant the 49ers may not get their first choice of coach. Most coaches would pick the Broncos over the 49ers organization at the moment. A massive rebuild against a team that needs a little tweaking on offense to make the playoffs but they do need to sort their QB issues. 49ers have issues everywhere but then the Jags, Chargers and Bills also need a coach. Even though the 49ers are still paying Tomsula and Chip they will probably be offering big money to try and attract someone but that dead money could have been used elsewhere if they hadn't gone for Tomsula in the first place. It was an odd hire that has set them back even further with Chip gone as well. New GM, new scheme, new coach, hopefully new players. Start all over again. Solid five year plan probably needed against short term knee jerk decision making.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Nice analysis, and who would have ever envisioned that we'd be seeing the 3rd string QB of Oakland vs possibly Tom Savage (Tom who?) in the first round of the playoffs. And Del Rio's face told it all yesterday in the humiliating loss at Denver. Watching his team go from the penthouse to the outhouse must be terribly discouraging about his chances to advance deep into the playoffs. Though they might squeak out a win against Houston (because of their QB problems also), it's lights out for Raider Nation after that. Oakland can't win without Carr...period.

The Seahawks blowing two great opportunities vs the Cardinals could very well come back to haunt them. No 3 seed, no bye, have to win against Lions, then probably Falcons and probably Cowboys to get to the SB with injury concerns, obviously missing ET and a number of other key players. The positives? They play against the Lions in Seattle. Then the Falcons. Yes it would be a road game, against a great offense and not a lot of rest while the Falcons are waiting through a bye. I'd still rather play the Lions and Falcons then to be on the other side of the NFC bracket. Both the Packers and Giants are on a roll and both Rodgers and Manning have proven themselves in past playoff runs. In my opinion, that could be the game of the first weekend of playoff play. The Packers are favorites in that one, but it's going to be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants taking that one. If the Hawks get to the NFC title game, and the Cowboys lose the divisional (playing either the Packers or Giants), then the Hawks would host that game. It's going to be hard.

The AFC will be brutal as well. Lot's of good teams there. The Patriots are looking really strong. A 39 year old QB is playing as well as anyone ever has. They are a juggernaut right now. That said, the Steelers are rounding into form, the Chiefs are scary, as are the Raiders (that division could have gone either way, but I don't think either of those teams would have minded playing a game or two on the road), and even the Texans and Dolphins (especially the Dolphins) are solid. Miami has had an excellent 2nd half of the season and they deserve to be here. I don't think they'll be a pushover.

There are many scenarios that could play out. There are teams that really stand out, Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, but you also have teams that are on fire, Packers, Giants, Dolphins, two teams that are perennial powers in Seattle and Pittsburgh, a dangerous floater in Atlanta, a Houston team that's not to be overlooked. A Lions team that doesn't get to the playoffs that often and usually flatters only to deceive when they do make it, but I think they are a good team that just stumbled a bit late in the season to give the Packers the NFC north title.

BullsFan22 said:
The Seahawks blowing two great opportunities vs the Cardinals could very well come back to haunt them. No 3 seed, no bye, have to win against Lions, then probably Falcons and probably Cowboys to get to the SB with injury concerns, obviously missing ET and a number of other key players. The positives? They play against the Lions in Seattle. Then the Falcons. Yes it would be a road game, against a great offense and not a lot of rest while the Falcons are waiting through a bye. I'd still rather play the Lions and Falcons then to be on the other side of the NFC bracket. Both the Packers and Giants are on a roll and both Rodgers and Manning have proven themselves in past playoff runs. In my opinion, that could be the game of the first weekend of playoff play. The Packers are favorites in that one, but it's going to be close. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants taking that one. If the Hawks get to the NFC title game, and the Cowboys lose the divisional (playing either the Packers or Giants), then the Hawks would host that game. It's going to be hard.

The AFC will be brutal as well. Lot's of good teams there. The Patriots are looking really strong. A 39 year old QB is playing as well as anyone ever has. They are a juggernaut right now. That said, the Steelers are rounding into form, the Chiefs are scary, as are the Raiders (that division could have gone either way, but I don't think either of those teams would have minded playing a game or two on the road), and even the Texans and Dolphins (especially the Dolphins) are solid. Miami has had an excellent 2nd half of the season and they deserve to be here. I don't think they'll be a pushover.

There are many scenarios that could play out. There are teams that really stand out, Patriots, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, but you also have teams that are on fire, Packers, Giants, Dolphins, two teams that are perennial powers in Seattle and Pittsburgh, a dangerous floater in Atlanta, a Houston team that's not to be overlooked. A Lions team that doesn't get to the playoffs that often and usually flatters only to deceive when they do make it, but I think they are a good team that just stumbled a bit late in the season to give the Packers the NFC north title.
Lots of good teams in the AFC playoffs? I see three: NE, KC & Pitt. The Dolphins got hammered by NE at home. Their defense gave up almost 400 yds in total offense, and made Edelman look all-World . Matt Moore didn't look all that good and couldn't generate enough offense to keep them in the game. With Oakland, the Broncos put the wood on McGloin and he gets hurt. 3rd stringer Connor Cook (Conner who?) isn't effective and can't move the ball. The Raider team looked disorganized & unmotivated...so not only losing Carr's ability, but the loss of his leadership is definitely showing here. And Houston? Got to be worst 9-7 team in the league this year (their QB situation is a mess). It's a shame that Houston goes to the playoffs over 9-7 Denver, who beat them earlier this year. And that's only because Houston won their division...nonetheless a very lousy division this year (if the NFL went to a playoff format where the top 6 teams in each conference based on record qualified for postseason, regardless of winning their division or not, then in this case the Broncos would go to the playoffs over Houston).

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
C1NGMNNXEAEJnW4.jpg

C1NF0CuXgAEUT3h.jpg

C1NFeAcWQAAi58M.jpg

C1NFEPaXgAA1P91.jpg

C1NE5WSXEAMgOxB.jpg

C1Mp5jBUkAAxS9Y.jpg

Nomad said:
BullsFan22 said:

Lots of good teams in the AFC playoffs? I see three: NE, KC & Pitt. The Dolphins got hammered by NE at home. Their defense gave up almost 400 yds in total offense, and made Edelman look all-World . Matt Moore didn't look all that good and couldn't generate enough offense to keep them in the game. With Oakland, the Broncos put the wood on McGloin and he gets hurt. 3rd stringer Connor Cook (Conner who?) isn't effective and can't move the ball. The Raider team looked disorganized & unmotivated...so not only losing Carr's ability, but the loss of his leadership is definitely showing here. And Houston? Got to be worst 9-7 team in the league this year (their QB situation is a mess). It's a shame that Houston goes to the playoffs over 9-7 Denver, who beat them earlier this year. And that's only because Houston won their division...nonetheless a very lousy division this year (if the NFL went to a playoff format where the top 6 teams in each conference based on record qualified for postseason, regardless of winning their division or not, then in this case the Broncos would go to the playoffs over Houston).

The Raiders are in a very tough spot because of Carr's season ending injury. Many are saying that is game over for them. That could very well be true, but I still think they can do something. Maybe i haven't analyzed Carr and how he's helped the Raiders, but they have other good players on that team that can make a difference. I know he was the Raiders big weapon all year, but that's why there are back ups, and if one player being out will completely turn a team from SB contenders to being one and done in the playoffs then that team...I don't know, either is overrated or something...

Ok, so I may be giving the Dolphins too much credit, but still, I don't think they are as much of a pushover as some might think.

I can see the Raiders maybe beating Houston, because Houston are a debacle, they can't be relied upon to win or lose.

The other games I see falling the way of Pittsburgh, Seattle (again, while showing flashes of competency Detroit when push comes to shove they are an unreliable debacle that continues to frustrate their fans and city, letting Green Bay just push them out of the way to throw another Division Title in their already bulging trophy case while theirs sits empty) and maybe Green Bay, I think their game with the Giants will be really interesting, they are weak in the secondary and if Eli plays to his contract value he could really tear them apart with OBJ.

BullsFan22 said:
Nomad said:
BullsFan22 said:

The Raiders are in a very tough spot because of Carr's season ending injury. Many are saying that is game over for them. That could very well be true, but I still think they can do something. Maybe i haven't analyzed Carr and how he's helped the Raiders, but they have other good players on that team that can make a difference. I know he was the Raiders big weapon all year, but that's why there are back ups, and if one player being out will completely turn a team from SB contenders to being one and done in the playoffs then that team...I don't know, either is overrated or something...

Ok, so I may be giving the Dolphins too much credit, but still, I don't think they are as much of a pushover as some might think.

The timing of Carr's injury couldn't be worse. I think it will be a huge problem. Miami looked better a few months ago I think. I really don't think the Seahawks can make the SB. Kansas or the Falcons at the SB would not surprise me but whether they can win is another thing. Could be some interesting games ahead because I don't think there are one or two teams out in front of the rest, not really. The Cowboys and the Patriots are beatable.

Agree. Before Carr's injury there were four excellent teams out of the AFC: NE, KC, Pitt, and Oak. With Carr out, I don't see Oakland getting past Houston, if they can do that. And they must have McGloin to have any chance.

Osweiller to start for Houston, Savage either out, or doubtful. Message to OC's, when you don't trust your backup, don't have your starter run a sneak.

Miami has some good players, and a good young coach, but I think the Steelers are talented enough to win it all, I can't say that about Miami.

TRENDING THREADS