• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 376 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Black Monday was rough on several coaches, as expected. From top to bottom, obvious to least expected:

• Marvin Lewis - Well liked by many people, he never won a playoff game, and too many teams under-performed.
• Dirk Koetter - Promoted from OC to HC, he never did much in three seasons.
• Steve Wilks - Only one season, Wilks position didn't seem stable even before week 1. The worst record in NFL did him in.
• Vance Joseph - While the players really liked him, impatient and intolerant management did not. More on this below. He should fairly easily get a DC or college job.
• Todd Bowles - His calmness gave the Jets some decent play but the team never got over the hump with him at the helm. I'd be really surprised if he doesn't fairly quickly land a DC, or college job.
• Adam Gase - Once a boy wonder and QB guru who learned under Mike Martz, he made QBs Josh McCown and Brock Osweiller look quite good. But he never was able to string together enough wins, and supposedly rubbed enough people the wrong way. I have to wonder if the dismal loss to Buffalo was the coup de gras, or knee jerk reaction. Either way, to fire someone for political reasons is as bad as firing someone for not being a yes man if that's what happened.

Now, what isn't said here is management. I think the case in Denver may be most obvious. John Elway, as great of a player he was, seems to have unrealistic exceptions, and made several poor decisions himself about bringing QBs in to lead a team. While he did snare Peyton Manning, and PM did play quite well a few years (under Gase!), though at a very high cost (one Elway seemed to be oblivious to), the team he lead really won a SB on defense. Elway was the one who thought Paxton Lynch was the solution. He stuck with him even when Trevor Siemian was the only alternate option then seemed to pretend that situation wasn't his fault. Then brought in Case Keenum, who, outside of one really nice year on a deep Viking team, had been average his entire career.

But I'd also like to know what kind of accountability management will take in Arizona. They are the ones who brought in Sam Bradford, who can't move much anymore, and for whatever the reason, couldn't throw the ball downfield much anymore. They also did nothing to set-up Josh Rosen to succeed, as if still having the great Larry Fitzgerald around was enough. Now, they need OL help, in a heavy defensive laden draft.

And how was Doug Marrone allowed to keep his job in Jacksonville? Was that team's problems really all Blake Bortles fault? It also looks like the team will not retain Fourette, and is trying to dump Jalen Ramsey, so they look to do some sort of rebuild, but are they really good doing it under Marrone? Maybe they looked at the alternatives, and didn't see anyone they liked on the horizon? Maybe they think Pops McLaughlin can simply do magic with personnel decisions.

How exactly did Jet GM Mike Maccagnan shift all the blame for the team's woes to Todd Bowles? The team has been stacked with mediocre talent for some time, and barely gave Sam Darnold time to grow under Bowles. My understanding is that Chris Johnson has a hand's off mindset as the chairman (co-owner) of the team, and his first thought is to support and encourage the players, but he also has to look at the big picture.

I'll also make the argument that the Radiers never should have fired Jack DelRio. The team was considerably worse and more dysfunctional under Gruden, and DelRio not only took them to the playoffs, still played respectable in 2017 with Carr hurt much of the time. I was also never fully sold on Reggie McKenzie, who had one good draft, but they just hired...Mike Maycock as the new GM?? Yes, the TV analyst you'd often see on draft day. From what I can tell he was once a player long ago with a short career, but has zero office experience, zero coaching experience, none, not even in college as a scout.

Of course, Washington is maybe the worst managed team in the NFL. But what they need is a new owner.

Having typed all that, my gut tells me every team I just typed will finish under 500 next season and miss the playoffs. It's like we're looking at a lot of losing teams, who simply taking continued action of what made them a losing team in the first place. This is another example why a team like the Steelers or Seahawks have been so successful. They run into some bumps, emotional people say the coach is done, has lost the team after a few losses or missing the playoffs one year, but the ship gets righted, and the winning returns.

I'll write about some potential hirings later.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Having typed all that, my gut tells me every team I just typed will finish under 500 next season and miss the playoffs. It's like we're looking at a lot of losing teams, who simply taking continued action of what made them a losing team in the first place. This is another example why a team like the Steelers or Seahawks have been so successful. They run into some bumps, emotional people say the coach is done, has lost the team after a few losses or missing the playoffs one year, but the ship gets righted, and the winning returns.
Agree that will likely be the outcome next year. Just deserves IMO for poor team management.

Yeah, what a list. A nutty & crazy NFL. Those are 6 HC positions on TOP of the other 2 already gone before Monday (Browns' Hue Jackson, Packers' McCarthy). A total of 8 HC's, or 25% of the NFL head coach workforce. Good luck filling all of those with qualified people. Then Atlanta cleans house of both coordinators, keeping HC Dan Quinn. I think Arizona and Denver pulled the trigger too soon by firing their HC's, not that they would have been successful, but owners should give them a fair chance.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Even though I'm traveling and doing family stuff I was able to watch parts of several games and all of the SEA game. I hate it when the Seahawks and Cowboys play (my two tams), but especially with Idaho kid LVE killing it for DAL this year.
Leighton Vander Esch is quite a find for Dallas. You, being a Boise State follower, probably were not too surprised at his success. For Dallas, Sean Lee is out, and LVE got injured last week and came out. Turns out, fortunately for Dallas, he only has a minor bruise and should play.

With Jacksonville not firing their HC, it's likely they don't see anyone they like better. In that sense why fire someone if you don't like the replacement options. That is actually a smart decision. Until Washington gets a new owner they are going to have issues. The Steeles do have good ownership and upper management, HOWEVER, right now there are some issues with the team and many fans are not convinced Tomlin should still be the coach. The team had overall a good first half of the season and then had real issues in the second half and some of that is coaching. As for Bell, well the way that was handled by the team is pretty typical of the Steelers and how they handle those situations no matter who the player is. For us Steeler fans and the coaching situation. Maybe we don't like Tomlin, but right now is there really a better option out there. I'm not so sure there is.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
I think Arizona and Denver pulled the trigger too soon by firing their HC's, not that they would have been successful, but owners should give them a fair chance.
I don't think so on Joseph. His 2 season record is 11-21 (.344) with the Broncos enduring back-to-back losing seasons for the first time in 46 yrs. Keep in mind Josh McDaniels was fired 3/4 into his second season with the Broncos and finished his HC record at 11-17 (.393). The other problem with Joseph is that when he was named the HC back in 2017 he stated: “This is not a rebuilding situation – it’s a reboot. There is a culture of winning here, and the standards around here won’t change. Those are to win championships.”

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/new-broncos-head-coach-not-a-rebuilding-situation/

Well...it now looks like it was a lot more than a "reboot," and a complete failure at a rebuild. Plus he had a healthy Keenum all season, who was supposed to be Elway's guy to save the day for Denver (since Lynch was a complete debacle). So, Elway better right the ship and quickly. Other than the SB glory years with PM, he's letting this once prideful organization sink into the outhouse. And with the Bowlen family now fighting over ownership...this could get interesting.

I agree with you on Arizona pulling the trigger too soon on Wilks - one year isn't enough especially with a rookie QB starting for most of the season. IMO, he should have been given another season and if Arizona started off next sesson piss poor (1-7, 2-6, etc.) then he could have been let go mid-season like we've seen happen before with other HCs.

I was surprised that Shanahan wasn't fired after his 2 seasons with a dismal 10-22 (.313) record and a drop in wins from 6 in 2017 to just 4 this year. But I suppose losing JG for most of the season and going with a rookie QB save his job for another year? (though Wilks didn't get the same consideration). Plus maybe the John Lynch connection with the elder Shanahan?

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
I think Arizona and Denver pulled the trigger too soon by firing their HC's, not that they would have been successful, but owners should give them a fair chance.
I don't think so on Joseph. His 2 season record is 11-21 (.344) with the Broncos enduring back-to-back losing seasons for the first time in 46 yrs. Keep in mind Josh McDaniels was fired 3/4 into his second season with the Broncos and finished his HC record at 11-17 (.393). The other problem with Joseph is that when he was named the HC back in 2017 he stated: “This is not a rebuilding situation – it’s a reboot. There is a culture of winning here, and the standards around here won’t change. Those are to win championships.”

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/new-broncos-head-coach-not-a-rebuilding-situation/

Well...it now looks like it was a lot more than a "reboot," and a complete failure at a rebuild. Plus he had a healthy Keenum all season, who was supposed to be Elway's guy to save the day for Denver (since Lynch was a complete debacle). So, Elway better right the ship and quickly. Other than the SB glory years with PM, he's letting this once prideful organization sink into the outhouse. And with the Bowlen family now fighting over ownership...this could get interesting.

I agree with you on Arizona pulling the trigger too soon on Wilks - one year isn't enough especially with a rookie QB starting for most of the season. IMO, he should have been given another season and if Arizona started off next sesson piss poor (1-7, 2-6, etc.) then he could have been let go mid-season like we've seen happen before with other HCs.

I was surprised that Shanahan wasn't fired after his 2 seasons with a dismal 10-22 (.313) record and a drop in wins from 6 in 2017 to just 4 this year. But I suppose losing JG for most of the season and going with a rookie QB save his job for another year? (though Wilks didn't get the same consideration). Plus maybe the John Lynch connection with the elder Shanahan?
I guess I can understand that point about Vance Joseph. I'm just wondering how much responsibility for failures should fall on John Elway's head.

Very interesting hiring by Raiders of Mike Mayock as the new GM. First, I like Mayock a lot and have a ton of respect for his player analysis of players coming out of college (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001006476/article/raiders-hire-mike-mayock-as-general-manager).

Secondly, Mayock has to know who the really good, hard working scouts are around the country, and I would not be surprised if he brings some of them with him to the Raiders scouting office. It remains to be seen, however, how much of his scouting duties he will have to leave behind to perform other GM duties, and how well he learns the GM job. Reports are that he has been preparing for a role as GM for the past 7-9 years, and his hard working style will fit well with Jon Gruden.

Thirdly, I think Mayock will give the Raiders a huge boost at the next draft, where his knowledge of current college players gives the Raiders an edge over many other NFL teams. Just what Gruden needs. https://www.silverandblackpride.com...age-to-raiders-staff-coaching-the-senior-bowl

Finally, one really insightful comment Mayock made about Gruden is that over his past 20 years knowing Gruden, Mayock quickly figured out when talking with Jon that Jon looks you straight in the eye and everything is a question or a challenge, and often drops a comment just to see how you'd react. With Gruden, Mayock said "you have to be prepared". I think Mayock is for many things and will be for the rest. Signing Grade: "A".

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

49ers previous two coaches lasted one year each. Shanahan and Lynch were signed to long term contracts but of course neither had experience in their roles and it was a gamble by the owners at least in the short term. 49ers didn't just lose their number QB early in the season they lost their number one RB and corner among others. They had little depth at WR and lost Garcon. The squad was basically decimated by injuries and then the reserve QB in Beathard started to struggle and was replaced by Mullens the rookie. But after all is said and done, with a fit roster at the beginning of next season the pressure goes up for Lynch and Shanahan to improve the win column. It was going to be a long term rebuild but the owner Jed York has showed previously that he only has so much patience. Three performances have fans excited for next season with the form of Breida, Kittle and Buckner, all young players plus the return of their number one QB. They have a top ten defense but badly need a number one WR and an edge rusher, the secondary has been a major weakness. Still firmly in the middle of a rebuild but some good signs for the future.

Re:

Koronin said:
With Jacksonville not firing their HC, it's likely they don't see anyone they like better. In that sense why fire someone if you don't like the replacement options. That is actually a smart decision. Until Washington gets a new owner they are going to have issues. The Steeles do have good ownership and upper management, HOWEVER, right now there are some issues with the team and many fans are not convinced Tomlin should still be the coach. The team had overall a good first half of the season and then had real issues in the second half and some of that is coaching. As for Bell, well the way that was handled by the team is pretty typical of the Steelers and how they handle those situations no matter who the player is. For us Steeler fans and the coaching situation. Maybe we don't like Tomlin, but right now is there really a better option out there. I'm not so sure there is.

If the Steelers lose Brown and Bell plus the aging QB can't go much longer, the pressure on Tomlin just increases. If the Steelers don't make the playoffs next season I think Tomlin is gone. Obviously there are some locker room issues just like at Green Bay but no one will admit to anything of course.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:

If the Steelers lose Brown and Bell plus the aging QB can't go much longer, the pressure on Tomlin just increases. If the Steelers don't make the playoffs next season I think Tomlin is gone. Obviously there are some locker room issues just like at Green Bay but no one will admit to anything of course.

They won't make the playoffs if they lose Brown and Bell and as you said, Roethlisberger will be 37 this year. They need to make smart changes to their personnel otherwise they'll do even worse than this season. I get that they choked games away, games that proved crucial in their missing the playoffs, but those close games could turn into blowouts by next season.

movingtarget said:
Koronin said:

There is definitely locker room issues that you can see from the outside. Don't have a problem that they won't admit it to the press, but something needs to be done. With Baltimore still good and Cleveland improving, next year it going to be hard for the Steelers.

For the first time in memory I think all four WC road teams have a real chance of winning.

IND@HOU - I think the way both previous meetings turned out is telling. I'll take the Colts in a close, tough game.

SEA@DAL - Despite winning a slew of games late, I don't think that highly of Dallas, and will take Seattle here. Mostly due to better coaching, and a better, more experienced QB.

LAC@BAL - That last game between the two was something. The Chargers must execute better, and hold the Ravens running game and force Jackson to do more with his arm. But the Raven defense is stout. Still, I'll take the Chargers in a tough game.

PHI@CHI - I don't think quite as much of the Bears as some do, though their defense is excellent. They have managed to win several games by doing enough to win, and that counts for a lot. The Eagles experience, Foles calmness and able to handle pressure, and the team surging will make this very close, but I went with the home team as much as anything.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
For the first time in memory I think all four WC road teams have a real chance of winning.

IND@HOU - I think the way both previous meetings turned out is telling. I'll take the Colts in a close, tough game.

SEA@DAL - Despite winning a slew of games late, I don't think that highly of Dallas, and will take Seattle here. Mostly due to better coaching, and a better, more experienced QB.

LAC@BAL - That last game between the two was something. The Chargers must execute better, and hold the Ravens running game and force Jackson to do more with his arm. But the Raven defense is stout. Still, I'll take the Chargers in a tough game.

PHI@CHI - I don't think quite as much of the Bears as some do, though their defense is excellent. They have managed to win several games by doing enough to win, and that counts for a lot. The Eagles experience, Foles calmness and able to handle pressure, and the team surging will make this very close, but I went with the home team as much as anything.

Agree on all except the Chargers. I think the Ravens in current form can get the job done. Could be a lot of close games here.

I'm all in for DAL and LVE now.

My assertion that RBs aren't just plug-n-play was on full display tonight. Not only was EE THE game tonight, he was the reason they were even in the playoffs. Ya, line play, defense...EE is a game maker PERIOD.

With all the rules and one official tasked with watching the QB, how can they still miss blatant face mask/hits to the head calls?!

Hurns' injury looked really bad! I am pretty sure that I know what happened, but pretty sure isn't a medical opinion so I'll zip it (I only watched the live video because I don't want to see slow mo of injuries).

BullsFan22 said:
Awful first two games in the playoffs so far. The Texans were terrible and the second game was lacking in excitement, plus the refs just love the Cowboys. It happens every playoffs they are in. Thankfully they don’t make in that often these days.

Texans were never going to recover from that start but then I thought the Falcons had the SB won at half time ! I think tomorrow's games should be better.......I hope.

TRENDING THREADS