• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 388 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
I have to be honest, I really don't care if two adults have sexual relations even if there is money involved.
This wasn't just an issue of two people doing it, and one paying the other. This goes way deeper than that, to sex trafficking. Please read this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/02/22/robert-kraft-charged-soliciting-prostitution-orchids-asia-patriots-trafficking-column/2955489002/

I imagine Parker will get picked up by someone. Kickers aren't a dime a dozen. Still, have not only that one kick, but many more "doinks" over the season, I'm not shocked they cut him either.

As to the AAF, I'm not following it close enough, mostly watching highlights and reading small blurbs, but here's what I can gather about this week.

AZ@SC - A rematch of week 1, where AZ put up 38 points. This is in Salt Lake though, and despite being 0-2, the Stallions haven't been playing bad.
MEM@ORL - Orlando is the best team in the league right now. and Memphis has shown little offense.
BIR@ATL - The Iron have a really stout defense, and Atlanta has under-performed. Iron QB Luis Perez has apparently gotten lots of calls already from NFL teams. If he has another good game, he could be a rising star for the league to promote, and fill seats.
SA@SD - Rematch of close game in week 1 in SA, won by SA. Mike Martz (SD) coach said they should have won it.

More on Luis Perez, and his unlikely story:

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-2019-how-luis-perez-gave-up-on-professional-bowling-and-youtubed-his-way-to-learning-quarterback/

Finally, someone asked me where to watch AAF games. Most people might have them on their local CBS channel, but some don't. Oddly enough, some games are on the NFL Network. Some games are on Bleacher Report Live (B-R Live). There's some sort of connection between BR and Turner Broadcasting, some some of those game are apparently on TNT, but not in my area, so you should check. The games are also up to YouTube about an hour or so after they end. Finally, if you don't want to, or can't sit through an entire game, there are full game highlights on YouTube, just like NFL games. The best plays of the game compressed into about 10 minutes, and usually online an hour or so after the game ends. Having said that, AAF games move pretty quickly, which is one of the best parts of the league if you ask me.

Re: Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:
I have to be honest, I really don't care if two adults have sexual relations even if there is money involved.
This wasn't just an issue of two people doing it, and one paying the other. This goes way deeper than that, to sex trafficking. Please read this article:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/02/22/robert-kraft-charged-soliciting-prostitution-orchids-asia-patriots-trafficking-column/2955489002/

I imagine Parker will get picked up by someone. Kickers aren't a dime a dozen. Still, have not only that one kick, but many more "doinks" over the season, I'm not shocked they cut him either.

As to the AAF, I'm not following it close enough, mostly watching highlights and reading small blurbs, but here's what I can gather about this week.

AZ@SC - A rematch of week 1, where AZ put up 38 points. This is in Salt Lake though, and despite being 0-2, the Stallions haven't been playing bad.
MEM@ORL - Orlando is the best team in the league right now. and Memphis has shown little offense.
BIR@ATL - The Iron have a really stout defense, and Atlanta has under-performed. Iron QB Luis Perez has apparently gotten lots of calls already from NFL teams. If he has another good game, he could be a rising star for the league to promote, and fill seats.
SA@SD - Rematch of close game in week 1 in SA, won by SA. Mike Martz (SD) coach said they should have won it.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-2019-how-luis-perez-gave-up-on-professional-bowling-and-youtubed-his-way-to-learning-quarterback/
I'll stand by my statement, but add the underlined: 'I have to be honest, I really don't care if two adults have consensual sexual relations even if there is money involved.'

The nightly news story that I watched did not indicate sex trafficking. Unless Craft was involved in the trafficking part though, he is just soliciting a prostitute (his charge). If that misdemeanor is the only charge he gets, the NFL can't justify doing anything.

My wife said that she saw a headline that the (EDIT: EX Prez) Prez of CitiBank is also being charged.

I wonder why these billionaires go to crappy little spas to get their rocks off? Can't they do better than that? Maybe they like slummin' it?

jmdirt said:
I'll stand by my statement, but add the underlined: 'I have to be honest, I really don't care if two adults have consensual sexual relations even if there is money involved.'
Right, and I'm saying this wasn't consensual in all likelihood. So that doesn't even apply here.
My wife said that she saw a headline that the (EDIT: EX Prez) Prez of CitiBank is also being charged.

I wonder why these billionaires go to crappy little spas to get their rocks off? Can't they do better than that? Maybe they like slummin' it?
I imagine many actually do "better than that". Or, they just don't think they'll get caught, as they live lives of privilege already. Kind of diving into politics here, and I don't have the stomach for that. I think the greatest threat to Kraft is that it's an embarrassment and distraction. As I noted before, he had to be close to his way out, with Jonathan taking over, and this may just accelerate that.

jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:

The nightly news story that I watched did not indicate sex trafficking. Unless Craft was involved in the trafficking part though, he is just soliciting a prostitute (his charge). If that misdemeanor is the only charge he gets, the NFL can't justify doing anything.

Here's the issue. If this is sex trafficking, which it sounds like is what is happening in this case. By definition it cannot be consensual.

Koronin said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:

Here's the issue. If this is sex trafficking, which it sounds like is what is happening in this case. By definition it cannot be consensual.
:rolleyes: Yes, but that wouldn't be my point then. I thought that people were just being holier than thou about him paying for sex, which I don't care about. Like I said though, unless he was involved in the trafficking (knowing about it would be involved IMO), he is just soliciting.

I should also be clear that I'm not defending Kraft because I think that he is a slimeball millionaire just like most of them, but the hypocrites who are slamming him are slimebags too.

jmdirt said:
Koronin said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:

:rolleyes: Yes, but that wouldn't be my point then. I thought that people were just being holier than thou about him paying for sex, which I don't care about. Like I said though, unless he was involved in the trafficking (knowing about it would be involved IMO), he is just soliciting.

I should also be clear that I'm not defending Kraft because I think that he is a slimeball millionaire just like most of them, but the hypocrites who are slamming him are slimebags too.

Ah, ok. See the very first headline I saw about this talked about trafficking. As for just prostitution, I'd prefer the entire country to be more like Vegas in that because then there would be more protections in place.

Re:

jmdirt said:
The first, actually only until I read Alpe's link, news I saw just talked about him paying for sex. Why is paying for/making money for sex illegal?

Because outside of Nevada prostitution is illegal in the US. And that's only a very small part of Nevada where it's actually legal. As for why, likely the "Puritan" views/beliefs the country was founded with and still unfortunately has a strong hold on the country with. Hence the reason we're still fighting for access to affordable birth control and abortion rights. (Yes that is a different topic and not for this thread.)

Koronin said:
jmdirt said:
The first, actually only until I read Alpe's link, news I saw just talked about him paying for sex. Why is paying for/making money for sex illegal?

Because outside of Nevada prostitution is illegal in the US. And that's only a very small part of Nevada where it's actually legal. As for why, likely the "Puritan" views/beliefs the country was founded with and still unfortunately has a strong hold on the country with. Hence the reason we're still fighting for access to affordable birth control and abortion rights. (Yes that is a different topic and not for this thread.)
You are correct, and the people who have been telling us that prostitution is from the devil, are the same ones raping kids.

jmdirt said:
Koronin said:
jmdirt said:

You are correct, and the people who have been telling us that prostitution is from the devil, are the same ones raping kids.

Exactly.

If someone wants to be the fool and only hurt themself, that's up to them. Kraft is that fool. But hurting someone else is more what irks me. It's a matter of supply and demand. The more demand (e.g. by ppl like Kraft) the more supply (e.g. sex trafficing) is needed. So, in the end, more activity like Kraft's just puts more slime balls on the lookout for girls to lure into the sex trafficing industry. What if it was your daughter? Would you be OK with that?

on3m@n@rmy said:
If someone wants to be the fool and only hurt themself, that's up to them. Kraft is that fool. But hurting someone else is more what irks me. It's a matter of supply and demand. The more demand (e.g. by ppl like Kraft) the more supply (e.g. sex trafficing) is needed. So, in the end, more activity like Kraft's just puts more slime balls on the lookout for girls to lure into the sex trafficing industry. What if it was your daughter? Would you be OK with that?
That's certainty a valid point.

All thought the full schedule isn't out, the opponents are known. And it looks like the easiest schedules belong to...

Washington. Followed by the Rams, and...Patriots. So, all of you who like to point out they play in a weak division, this certainly helps this stat. And the fact all three other teams in the AFC East are going to be either in rebuild or with new coaching staff, the Pats could easily go 6-0 in the division.

The hardest schedule? Oakland. Ugh.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-strength-of-schedule-patriots-and-redskins-have-it-easiest-raiders-face-roughest-ride/

I'll stick with my prediction that the Patriots win the Super Bowl next year as well. :Neutral:

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
All thought the full schedule isn't out, the opponents are known. And it looks like the easiest schedules belong to...

Washington. Followed by the Rams, and...Patriots. So, all of you who like to point out they play in a weak division, this certainly helps this stat. And the fact all three other teams in the AFC East are going to be either in rebuild or with new coaching staff, the Pats could easily go 6-0 in the division.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-strength-of-schedule-patriots-and-redskins-have-it-easiest-raiders-face-roughest-ride/

I'll stick with my prediction that the Patriots win the Super Bowl next year as well. :Neutral:

Oh you risk taker.............quite happy with that 49ers schedule.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

okay, pardon my ignorance on this one, but I've not seen this 'analysis' before...
isn't the reason that the raiders schedule is so "tough" is because they were rubbish last year? ie; you're only going to play sides that are better than you, when you're the worst of the lot... Similarly, sides like the patriots and rams will be playing loads of teams that are worse than they were - hence their schedule being "easier".
Seems somewhat skewed in terms of this being any sort of valid metric - your schedule is "easier" for the more you play teams that were/are worse than you. This stands to reason that if you're a good side, there are more 'lesser' teams that you'll play... and vice versa if you're pants

Or am I missing something?

The two main factors in strength of schedule:
Your division. (6 games)
Which other divisions you play in the rotation (one AFC one NFC) (8 games)
The "seeded" portion of 2 matches versus conference opponents in the other divisions of your conference only has a minor effect.

Your division, well if you win a lot of division games your schedule the following year is easier on paper.
If you lose a lot of them, you obviously have a tougher schedule on paper as your division rivals won those.

Take a division of 12-4, 10-6, 6-10 and 4-12

For the divisional games portion
The SOS for the winner is 0.417
The SOS for the loser is 0.583

At least Murray is at the Combine. It always bugged me when prize players wouldn't even show up. But I can't see him going #1. Well, maybe I can. I mean, the reason Rosen didn't play well was because AZ had poor protection, no running game, iffy coaching, and one HOF, but aging receiver, while almost always playing from behind. I think people are thinking becuase Murray went to OU, and is the same size as Russel Wilson, ergo, he'll be a mix of the best of Mayfield and Wilson! I mean, is he really that good? Having said that, the way the game is played is slowly shifting, and a Kliff Kingsbury offense is likely to be the most wild of all. His predecessor lasted just one season. So why not take a risk and go all in with Murray, who quite possibly has the best chance to step direclty into such a system and perform?

Maybe they can dump Josh Rosen to someone, there are plenty of teams who need a QB, and just one year ago Rosen was the QB du jour. NFL starter written all over him. Now, a cynic may look back and remind me that Michael Vick was an exciting flasy QB who rarely actually performed up to his hype, with only a few amazing games among a mediocre career, followed by more hype, and even more between a few flashy plays. In fact, even in Chip Kelly's wild offense Nick Foles outplayed him. So it's going to be interesting where Murray winds up, and what they do with him. And of course, what kind of offense AZ shows us. Will it be that new and exciting? Or Chip Kelly 2.0?

Jason Whitten was one of the worst NFL commentators, but I don't know that I'd want to reutrn to the brain bashing NFL if I were in his shoes. My guess is he's like a lot of other athletes, bored, can't figure out what to do with the rest of his career, likely unemployed from sportscasting, and needs to be shown the door. Though he will be well compensated, and likely has at least one good year in him.

Is Washington sending up a smoke screen, or do they really think Colt McCoy is really their starter for 2019? I mean, the guy has never been a quality starter, and almost entirely a back-up his whole career. Either that, or think see him playing a handful of gams, and Alex Smith coming back. But everything I've seen says Alex is likely to sit all of 2019-2020, collecting checks wearing t-shirs and carrying clipboards around. Maybe it's a ruse, and at #15 Washington grabs a QB, or trades up to do so?

I was just watching the combine while throwing some food in my mouth. It reminded me of how silly this escapade is, but it does give me a chance to see guys that I haven't seen. How about Jackson from Buff?! That's a big QB!

I call BS on Metcalf's 1.9% body fat claim. He would be sick in bed if that were the case, not building more muscle. Even body builders only cut down to about 4% for big events. Actually, if I were to discuss him too much more, I would have to move it to the clinic.

Jackson was like 6'7", 249 lbs, and ran a 4.59 40. A physical specimen who performed very well in the other combine events. However, he has a list of weaknesses that make some label him a "developmental" QB.

One of the top, if not the top, QB prospects is OSU's Dewayne Haskins (while having limited mobility @ 5.04 in the 40) is considered low on experience and will have to learn on the fly in the NFL.

The other top prospect would be Murray. It might be feigning by Arizona, but many think Ky Murray is the guy for new Cards HC Kliff Kingsbury, who was a college Air Raid offense specialist. Murray probably is a good fit for Kliff's style of offense, but this being the NFL we'll see just how much of the Air Raid Kingsbury uses and how much typical NFL offenses (power, counters, operating under center) that Kingsbury uses, and how he adapts to the NFL. Kingsbury's QBs have mostly operated out of the shotgun. For Kilff, he might be just feigning about Murray and behind closed doors be all-in on Josh Rosen (to increase value he could get by trading down the #1 overall pick), or he might be like sell-sell-sell on Rosen and all-in on Murray. Interesting as it is, I'm more interested (or hoping) Kingsbury brings some of the Air Raid with him to the NFL because I'm curious to see how it works out.

I agree Witten was not a great commentator. As for the brain bashing part, I just watched a documentary on Aaron Hernandez, whose brain was donated to Boston U CTE researchers. They found Aaron had one of the most serious cases of CTE for a person his age. Huge holes (like the brain tissue was missing or atrophied) in the frontal part of the brain. It's an old report but... https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a9ec6eb70e0c

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Jackson was like 6'7", 249 lbs, and ran a 4.59 40. A physical specimen who performed very well in the other combine events. However, he has a list of weaknesses that make some label him a "developmental" QB.

One of the top, if not the top, QB prospects is OSU's Dewayne Haskins (while having limited mobility @ 5.04 in the 40) is considered low on experience and will have to learn on the fly in the NFL.

The other top prospect would be Murray. It might be feigning by Arizona, but many think Ky Murray is the guy for new Cards HC Kliff Kingsbury, who was a college Air Raid offense specialist. Murray probably is a good fit for Kliff's style of offense, but this being the NFL we'll see just how much of the Air Raid Kingsbury uses and how much typical NFL offenses (power, counters, operating under center) that Kingsbury uses, and how he adapts to the NFL. Kingsbury's QBs have mostly operated out of the shotgun. For Kilff, he might be just feigning about Murray and behind closed doors be all-in on Josh Rosen (to increase value he could get by trading down the #1 overall pick), or he might be like sell-sell-sell on Rosen and all-in on Murray. Interesting as it is, I'm more interested (or hoping) Kingsbury brings some of the Air Raid with him to the NFL because I'm curious to see how it works out.

I agree Witten was not a great commentator. As for the brain bashing part, I just watched a documentary on Aaron Hernandez, whose brain was donated to Boston U CTE researchers. They found Aaron had one of the most serious cases of CTE for a person his age. Huge holes (like the brain tissue was missing or atrophied) in the frontal part of the brain. It's an old report but... https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a9ec6eb70e0c
Jackson to learn behind Eli for a year? He looked OK today, but his footwork is odd. That might just be his length, and/or something that can be worked on. He was smiling a lot for sure!

Haskins looked good in the drills that I watched today.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:

That would be a bold move by Arizona to select Murray with numero uno. And with a move like that I would bet Chosen Rosen is out of there. He's not going to put up with that being the 10th OA pick last year (In fact, Arizona moved up from No. 15 in a deal with the Raiders, giving up picks in the third and fifth rounds to get Rosen), receiving a big contract (11 mil signing bonus!) and starting most of the season last year.

And with Murray taken #1 OA he's going to expect to start himself (as well as ownership expecting him to start sometime during the season) and not sit the bench behind Rosen. Remember last year all the "Big 4" ended up starting most of the season with Darnold starting right out of the gate. Even Jackson, the last pick of the 1st rd, supplanted a SB winning QB in Flacco. Though Jackson came off the bench for Flacco when he had that early season hip injury, however, once Flacco was cleared to play he never got his job back (even for Baltimore's 1st rd playoff game). In fact, it's so bad with Flacco and so promising for Jackson, Baltimore is running him out of town and it looks like we get stuck with him over here in Bronco land. Lol.

It would be colossal can of worms for Arizona to take Murray when Rosen was drafted last year to be "The Guy" for the Cardinals.

TRENDING THREADS