• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 398 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
AB to the Pats. Why..?

Pats have nothing to lose, got him cheap. Beli will not put up with drama, and Brown knows this, knows that Beli won't hesitate to dump him if he doesn't concentrate on playing. When you're already great, you can afford gambles like this that have little downside. Beli also gave Tebow a shot. It didn't work, but it cost him almost nothing.

This reminds me so much of Randy Moss, who was an even greater receiver than Brown. Moss was known as a problem, too, and after some great years with the Vikings, he was traded to the Raiders where he lasted just two years, before the Pats snapped him up. Very much like Brown now, Moss hinted that he thought he would be more motivated if he played for a contender. He backed that up by setting a record with 23 TD catches in his first season with the team.

That was 2007, a turning point in NE's dynasty. Prior to that, Brady was considered a game manager, a decent but not brilliant QB who was lucky enough to be on a team talented enough to win three SB. In 2007, he had an all-time great season, setting a new record with 50 TD passes, in large part because of Moss. It was after that season that people began talking about Brady being one of the greatest QBs ever. Though NE lost the SB that year, and would not win another for seven more years, Brady began putting up big numbers in the regular season, and established himself as not just the QB on a great team, but a great if not greatest QB himself.

Last edited:
I watch the Sunday afternoon games on Red Zone so get parts of all the sames. I think the Miami/Baltimore game was a combination of Miami not be very good and Baltimore being one of the better teams. Also after week 1 I'd say Baltimore is the best team in the AFC North.
Kansas City looks to have picked up right where they left off last year.

To be fair, the ravens always destroy the Dolphins since 2008. I wasn't expecting the lions to tie after being up or the browns to play that bad. Thought Steelers would get around 10-17 points but still lose. I'm liking Patriots offense more then Chiefs after the one game.

To kinda echo what most all you have said:
-Pats destroyed Steelers. Didn't expect that blowout.

-KC offensive juggernaut puts up 40 burger on Jags, but only win by 14. Sans Foles, backup QB Minshew played really well for a rookie.

-Raves nearly put up a 60 burger (59) on Fins. On the ground or in the air, didn't matter. Lamar Jackson looked great.

-Titans go to Brown's & put up 43 on Browns, 43-13. Browns defense awful. Baker played ok at times for CLE, but made too many mistakes including 3 picks.

-Forget what I said about SEA OL dominating teams. Their OL stunk, though they mostly went without the heavy package they had success with last year. When they did run a heavy set the results running were better. Still, SEA just squeaks out 1-point win over Cincy, who actually outplayed SEA (just my one without checking stats). Cindy shoulda won, but missed a 2nd half FG.

-Lions v Cards play to 27-27 tie. Card QB Murray looked shakey in 1st half, but settled down to bring them from behind to tie it. I think Murray will be decent with more experience.

-Nice win for SF, but I was not too impressed with QBs Winston or Garoppollo, who both threw pick-6s. Winston was awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Seattle O line still has Ofedi. He has one good play and several dysfunctional, drive killers. They also played the most conservative set for almost 4 quarters so it's hard to judge as a reasonable effort like most team's 1st game. Dalton and Ross looked great and kept the entertainment value up. It would be great for Cincy to build on that.
Didn't get a chance to watch much else 'cause our UW game ran til 2 am due to a big lightning storm. I fell asleep before the end which was good so I was fresh for a nice redemptive ride this morning.
Don't get too excited in SF...your QB's are Jameis and Jimmy. One is an over achiever....

Seattle O line still has Ofedi. He has one good play and several dysfunctional, drive killers. They also played the most conservative set for almost 4 quarters so it's hard to judge as a reasonable effort like most team's 1st game. Dalton and Ross looked great and kept the entertainment value up. It would be great for Cincy to build on that.
Didn't get a chance to watch much else 'cause our UW game ran til 2 am due to a big lightning storm. I fell asleep before the end which was good so I was fresh for a nice redemptive ride this morning.
Don't get too excited in SF...your QB's are Jameis and Jimmy. One is an over achiever....
Ya, Ifedi played poorly. SEA didn't pick up his option year. So if he does not improve drastically this season they will let him go in free agency. I hope.

I turned the Udub game off at midnight thinking they'd preserve the win. Only to wake up to that.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Why not, if he can stop all the drama the Patriots just replaced Gronk. If everyone stays healthy the defense will have to many weapons to cover and Brady could put up close to Mahomes numbers from last year.
Pats have nothing to lose, got him cheap. Beli will not put up with drama, and Brown knows this, knows that Beli won't hesitate to dump him if he doesn't concentrate on playing. When you're already great, you can afford gambles like this that have little downside. Beli also gave Tebow a shot. It didn't work, but it cost him almost nothing.

This reminds me so much of Randy Moss, who was an even greater receiver than Brown. Moss was known as a problem, too, and after some great years with the Vikings, he was traded to the Raiders where he lasted just two years, before the Pats snapped him up. Very much like Brown now, Moss hinted that he thought he would be more motivated if he played for a contender. He backed that up by setting a record with 23 TD catches in his first season with the team.

That was 2007, a turning point in NE's dynasty. Prior to that, Brady was considered a game manager, a decent but not brilliant QB who was lucky enough to be on a team talented enough to win three SB. In 2007, he had an all-time great season, setting a new record with 50 TD passes, in large part because of Moss. It was after that season that people began talking about Brady being one of the greatest QBs ever. Though NE lost the SB that year, and would not win another for seven more years, Brady began putting up big numbers in the regular season, and established himself as not just the QB on a great team, but a great if not greatest QB himself.

Easy for me to say now after the game, although I did think it beforehand. Pats offense looks good, even without Gronk. Does AB fill any hole he left? I know it's not a fair comparison but I'm not sure he adds much at the moment. Gordon might (and considering his problems before a disruptive player isn't going to help him get back to his best), and with Edelmann, a resigned Dorsett, Meyers who's looked good in pre-season and Thomas as well they look strong at WR. White is a great option at RB/WR and Burkhead gives them more choices.

If AB works out for them then great, adding another option to all that is pretty scary. Brady looked comfortable and composed against the Steelers. Seems a risk though if he is really disruptive.

SEA didn't look great but they won.
I didn't see the NYG vs. Dal game, but the box looks good for Dal.
59 to 10?! Is MIA that bad? Both of BAL's QBs had 99 qbr.
MIN...HMM!
Hopefully week 2 is 'cleaner' football!
Good question on Miami. Nonetheless Jackson lit it up with 17/20, 5 TDs and a QBR of 158! And he only ran the ball 3 times. I thought his release and footwork looked good - much improved from last year. They have a new OC this year emphasizing more passing and less running with LJ. Also Marquise "Hollywood" Brown caught 4 passes for 2 TDs in his NFL debut (btw, he's the cousin of Antonio Brown). So far looks it looks like great move in dumping Flacco and going full-throttle with LJ. Now we'll see how the other half of this deal works out tonight with Flacco in Elway's new offense. Lot of pressure for Denver to win this game and in fact get to playoffs with Flacco. Win now as Elway is known to say.

Already in this young season a top QB goes down. Foles breaks his clavicle for the 2nd time on the same shoulder. He broke it in 2014 where he missed 8 games - so I imagine 8 games for this one and probably IR. Gardner Minshew is the man now - can he get the job done or is Jacksonville's season essentially over? Looks like Mahomes dodged a bullet with a mild ankle sprain but they lose Hill for a few weeks with a shoulder/clavicle injury.

Wild day in the NFL and there's still two more tonight with the MNF double-header.

Good question on Miami. Nonetheless Jackson lit it up with 17/20, 5 TDs and a QBR of 158! And he only ran the ball 3 times. I thought his release and footwork looked good - much improved from last year. They have a new OC this year emphasizing more passing and less running with LJ. Also Marquise "Hollywood" Brown caught 4 passes for 2 TDs in his NFL debut (btw, he's the cousin of Antonio Brown). So far looks it looks like great move in dumping Flacco and going full-throttle with LJ. Now we'll see how the other half of this deal works out tonight with Flacco in Elway's new offense. Lot of pressure for Denver to win this game and in fact get to playoffs with Flacco. Win now as Elway is known to say.

Already in this young season a top QB goes down. Foles breaks his clavicle for the 2nd time on the same shoulder. He broke it in 2014 where he missed 8 games - so I imagine 8 games for this one and probably IR. Gardner Minshew is the man now - can he get the job done or is Jacksonville's season essentially over? Looks like Mahomes dodged a bullet with a mild ankle sprain but they lose Hill for a few weeks with a shoulder/clavicle injury.

Wild day in the NFL and there's still two more tonight with the MNF double-header.

Wow didn't hear about Foles.

Interesting where and how I was right, and wrong.

The Rams were given a tough task by Carolina, who maybe should have won the game.

Keenum did play well, but Washington blew a big lead when they couldn't stay consistent on offense. Wentz and Philly turned it on when they needed to.

The Jets almost beat the Bills. However, don't believe stats and highlights. The Bills actually should have won the game easily. They had several successful drives blown by turnovers and were in a big hole. The highlights don't show the full game. Allen has the makings of an upper tier QB in this league. Great arm, seeing the field better, mobile. Just needs to cut down on mistakes, which he did in this game as it went on.

Can't believe how bad Atlanta, especially Ryan, played. 12-4? More like 8-8 if they play like this. Props to Minnesota.

Foles lasts all of 10 minutes. Ouch. But what a beautiful TD toss for his last pass at least...

I was concerned Cleveland would not get it done, and they didn't. I just think Mayfield is a little too overconfident, still prone to mistakes. Kitchens is a first year HC. With all the hype and signings, there's pressure to perform, and it's easy to lose discipline with stars. They also showed the same weaknesses they had last year, OL and protection (which oddly Kitchens did better last year, with extra TE, and FB sets), and on defense holes in the secondary and LB pass coverage.

NE made me look smarter than I am. Brown or no Brown, this team is going to be very hard to stop, all season long. Pittsburgh didn't play that bad, the Patriots just made it look that way.

Nice game by Indy in a loss.

Miami may be even worse than predicted, but highly impressive game by Jackson. I loved his press conference, "not bad for a running back", he said with a smile.

Having a Coug for a Son; I had Minshew in my face all last year. He is as exciting as Mahomes if he's allowed some freedom. Great deep arm.

was it Carolina troubling them, or more the Rams D being ordinary like the latter part of last season?

Probably a bit of both, I certainly think Cam could and should have done better excecuting some plays, but it’s week one after another shoulder surgery, so I’m hoping he’s more confident this Thursday against the Bucs.

Rams also got lucky with a couple of fumbles which bounced back into their hands.

Great win for the Saints, though they perhaps should have won a by a little more. The Texans did look good, especially on offense, and I still think both of these teams will be serious contenders late into the season.

Raiders sure didn't need AB. In fact, it was their running game, and the RB's in particular that played very well. OL did it's job as did Carr with neither Miller or Chubb getting into the backfield often at all. Considering how many sloppy games, or bad plays that killed drives last year, this Raider team was surprisingly consistent and disciplined.

Boy, was ESPN trying to hype up Joe Flacco or what? All the comments on he was Elway's man, the SB MVP mentioned a few times...they were talking like 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 didn't even exist. Not that Flacco played bad, he didn't, but he was as average as the entire Bronco team, against a team predicted to compete for the cellar. And Hamilton's drop was actually thrown behind him, and arguably with too much zip.

Antonio, the newly charged assailant of his former trainer. Patriots are allowing him to practice, for now. Hard to see the NFL allowing him to play with Federal rape charges against him. As weird as he's been I hadn't heard this was in the background. His alleged victim may have text(s) of him boasting about one of the incidents, too.
NFL is supposed to interview her tomorrow. Not sure she'd offer up specific evidence with a Federal lawsuit pending but my guess is AB will not play this weekend. He may not play again due to chronic radioactivity.

Good to see Carr back in form.

As for AB, isn't it odd sometimes how when someone can't stay out of the headlines everything converges. Now an alleged incident has come back to haunt him. Well three alleged incidents including rape. At the moment it's a civil case only but that could change of course. This could be a career breaker.............Patriots thought they were being smart but sometimes caution is also a good option.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS