• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 403 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Whoa, you called that right!
The Mustache rocked, didn't he? He looked like he was playing last year.
True on all counts. As to Mustached Minshew, it did not surprise me he appeared so well prepared. First, he gave credit to Foles' classy mentoring. But even before that (his dad alluded to how he prepares), Minshew is a fanatical film reviewer, and loves doing it. From what I've heard, as fanatical as Brady is. Just watching his performance coming to WSU as a grad transfer, winning the starting job and playing just 1 season at WSU, and shining doing it is telling about whether he knows how to watch tape and what to watch. Kind of reminds me of Russ Wilson going to Wisconsin for one season and excelling. So, with Foles and all those other habits, it is no surprise to me. I think he will just continue to get better with experience. As to Minshew's play last night, a couple things that stood out to me were the placement of his passes, and his pocket awareness. He just moves around in the pocket so well and escapes pressure, buying time, always looking downfield, but will appropriately take off and go. All of that he did at WSU, so while not new, it is versus NFL talent. And because it is the NFL he will probably have some bad games.

Actually, the player Minshew reminded me a little of is Tony Romo (remember him?!), the way Tony could often sense the pocket, move around and extend plays. That's a real trait to have. Tony's body couldn't hold up over time, in fact even big QB's bodies break down (look at Ben, even Cam now), so a word to the wise may be to know it's a fine line to walk.

I can't be the only one who sees Foles having a long career as a coach at some level, can I?
There is nothing political about rape or sexual assault.
Nike and others play both ends against the middle. During and after the national anthem controversy Nike kept making money. The sponsorship from the big players is so broad that damage control is built in..the Nike ,Reebok,Adidas sponsorship almost guaranteed that someone from the big three American sports who gets into legal issues will be wearing a logo when it hits the fan.
You don't read too much about slave or child labor. Almost no coverage on working conditions or environmental impact..so Nike seeing AB as a start is not much.
As one who did contract work for Nike years in the past, I can assure you that you are 100% spot on correct. In fact, they were so bad, when I finally walked away I said I'd do everything I could to never have anything to do with them ever again. So far, I've been successful at that.

As one who did contract work for Nike years in the past, I can assure you that you are 100% spot on correct. In fact, they were so bad, when I finally walked away I said I'd do everything I could to never have anything to do with them ever again. So far, I've been successful at that.
And now the Patriots drop the other shoe...so to speak. What are the odds he'll play in the NFL again? Probably better than Kapernick's.

I was told many years ago before Lancegate by the cycling federation that a hard liquor sponsorship was a no go...other sports didn't have a problem with similar products and pro beach volleyball and others get enormous benefit from the relationship. The tobacco industry has slow danced out of the sports spotlight and no young people know who Joe Camel is or was. Sports sponsorship is cra crazy complicated.
The NFL's relationship with companies like Nike..hell school aged football's relationship with Nike and the others should probably not be analyzed too closely or another golden egg laying goose will surely die.
I am definitely torn because when I see the amount of swag that the Little League World Series athletes ,girls and boys, I am really appreciative of the company's relationship with the kids.

One of my favorite news programs was sponsored by Archer Daniels Midland Corp for years..

I think Brown has lost more money in a short period of time than LA did. He lost $30 million guaranteed when he was released by the Raiders, then his Nike endorsement after the Taylor allegations. Now he will apparently lose $15 million from the Patriots. He was supposed to be paid $5 million of $9 million guaranteed Monday, but it seems language in the contract will probably enable NE to avoid paying him. According to one estimate, he's left with about $160,000.

I don't think any other team will take him at this point. After his legal problems are settled--and I wonder how much money he can pay a lawyer now, let alone a settlement--maybe. He's a crazy guy, kind of unpredictable (he broke the news of the release himself, and said thanks to the Pats, and wished them good luck), and I can see him flipping around and making a public apology to both women. I could see him playing again, just not this season. And at his age, another year does matter.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I doubt AB will ever play again, even if he wins the civil suit. WAY too much baggage for the talent. All he had to do was keep his mouth shut about everything and just deal with the courts and play, he didn't. Not even counting the off the field, I think any team would be hard pressed to sign him after everything that happened with two of his former teams. Kaepernick (if I remember correctly) wasn't playing well his last few years. Granted the team stunk in general and at this point it has been too long since he actually played.

I will say even though it is civil, Taylor still has to go into detail about what allegedly happened (maybe not as in depth), will be grilled by AB's attorney, and unlike criminal with the DA hands on everything she does through her attorney. She has discovery and everything else to deal will. Plus the media now. No matter what happened with criminal it would have strengthened her lawsuit.

If anyone is feeling frisky, dolphins are 1000-1 to win the Super Bowl.

I read that AB's signing bonus check has not been written and may be in peril..saw that he gets a check from the Raiders because the NFL pay period starts and ends on Wednesday. He was still part of their organization. So AB has done something Rosanne and R.Kelly both mastered. How to turn a mountain of money into a molehill of change.
AB jumped around and acted victorious after turning @$30 million into @$15 and now he turned @$10-15 million into 3 weeks pay..the Burt Wonderstone of football..

I read that AB's signing bonus check has not been written and may be in peril..saw that he gets a check from the Raiders because the NFL pay period starts and ends on Wednesday. He was still part of their organization. So AB has done something Rosanne and R.Kelly both mastered. How to turn a mountain of money into a molehill of change.
AB jumped around and acted victorious after turning @$30 million into @$15 and now he turned @$10-15 million into 3 weeks pay..the Burt Wonderstone of football..

He might still be negative from the raider fines.

Steve Mariucci, a former NFL coach turned analyst, remarked that when Brown came into the league he was a "nice kid", that all the problems began just in the last couple of years. For me, this raises the question of possibly could he be in the early stages of CTE? Common symptoms include erratic behavior and impaired judgment, though if that's the case, his physical skills would probably be affected, too.

His treatment with the Steelers didn't help. It seems Mike Tomlin enabled him. E.g., in training camp one year, while all his teammates lived in a dorm, Brown was allowed to rent a house off campus, and was chauffeured into the facility every morning. He also used to be late for almost every team meeting, and was frequently not fined for it. If he had any sense of entitlement before, this kind of treatment is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

"[Tomlin] essentially told the group, we'll tolerate it now because of what he brings on the field, but the minute production stops, you don't overlook it," one ex-Steeler said of Brown's tardiness issues, which was confirmed by other players.

AB's behavior does make one wonder about him being effected by CTE. He really ought to check in with the Boston U group doing development on CLINICAL tools for diagnosing CTE. "Clinical" meaning diagnostic testing on a live patient, not a dead person as has been done up to now. As of about 6 months or so ago Boston U was getting closer to coming up with a working method, but thought they thought at the time that they were about 2 years away from making it publicly available.

We brought up the early CTE issue regarding AB I believe last winter, after the craziness with the Steelers, and I think it's definitely possible. I realize CTE isn't one bad hit, or a few bad hits, but that plus many hits, small and large, over time. But one can't help but think on his career, and see that horrific hit by Burfict.

Not to discount CTE and the icing on the cake hit from VB, but MI (I think) posted that AB's step father isn't shocked by any of this so that indicates some funky behavior for a while (childhood) doesn't it?

I have absolutely ZERO neurological study, other than reading about TBI and CTE some so my thoughts/questions are just me thinking out loud (in type). I wonder if CTE effects some more than others, or at least affects them differently, or are people predisposition to behaviors that are increased by CTE? Did Aaron Hernandez have neurological issues that would have lead to his behavior even if he didn't develop CTE? Was AB on this path and multiple hits plus a huge hit accelerated it?

I think it's hard to answer that. Some people end up with what amounts to dementia (Stabler, McMahon), others have turned to suicide, a few, like Hernandez, become violent. I would think the CTE is accentuating what's already part of that person's psyche, but like you, I'm no neuroscientist. I do believe MI does have a science career bg though, and always welcome his thoughts.

IIRC, Hernandez autopsy showed the worst CTE ever seen at that age. Stage 3, nearly stage 4. That's what's seen in players in their 60s and 70s after long, rough careers.

As to the Patriots, I think they will be better off without him, that team is already stacked. Like 15-1, another Super Bowl stacked. That's my thought anyway.

Last edited:
I am super excited to see if some of the players starting this week after injuries and under performance can get the job done. Watched a video about John Elway and his entry into the league and he beat Baltimore in a huge comeback w 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter.
I also saw that Drew Brees called Mike Trout and others about how to rehab from surgery as fast and effectively as possible..

Thoughts on some games:

CIN@BUF - If the Bills win, and I think they will, they will be 3-0.
NYJ@NE - This has blowout written on it, but the Jets aren't as bad as their 0-2 record, and this should be more competitive than their last 2 games.
BAL@KC - Curious how, if, KC can stop Jackson.
ATL@IND - The Falcons have underperformed, and the Colts overperformed, perhaps.
DEN@GB - A Packer win will put them at 3-0.
NYG@TB - Jones gets the start for the Giants.
CAR@ARI - No Cam, but Panthers better on paper, but Murray shined for AZ last week at times.
PIT@SF - If the Niners win they go 3-0.
NO@SEA - Curious how much leeway Teddy is given. Hawks could go 3-0 here.
HOU@LAC - The Chargers should contend for that division, but have been inconsistent.
LAR@CLE - This is hard to predict. The Browns really bounced back last week, but the Rams are deep and still very talented.
CHI@WAS - The Bears are off to a rocky start. Washington even more.

Like I said before, he hasn't been the same since VB hit him in the head in that Wild Card game in Cincinnati.
Physically, wasn't it the season after that that he was on track to break 2000 yards and was even in the run for MVP but missed the last few games of the season?

Was a brutal hit though. He couldn't even play in the Denver game a week later. Burflic won the Broncos the superbowl with that play.

Also to play in the NFL, one probably does require a little bit of crazy to start with.

TRENDING THREADS