• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 409 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Well, most players don't play that long, even good QBs. But you make a good observation. Many times players, even QBs, hurt early in their career spend much of the rest of their career dealing with injuries. Take a look at both Andrew Luck and RG3. Heck, look at half the QB's in the NFL.

Last night's game has to be one of the worst blowouts I've ever seen. The score could easily have been far greater. Even when the Pats were easing up a bit on defense late, they still easily stopped the Jets. This wasn't as bad as that Saints win over the Colts a few years back, but looked like it.

The poor competition definitely is a big factor, but the Patriot defense has put up just completely insane numbers. Just 6.9 points per game, 4.0 yards per play, and 223 total yards per game. The 49ers are very close in yards, however, they've played one less game, defended 70 less plays from scrimmage. Put in another perspective, at #7 is Minnesota, who gives up over 100 yards more per game.

Pats just traded a 2nd round pick for Mohamed Sanu. He's not the receiver he was a few years back, but will certainly compliment their offense.

Coming up Pats play: CLE, @BAL, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC. All of those teams are better than the one's they've been feasting on, and I'd argue both Cleveland and Philadelphia will be playing close to desperation, making them dangerous. They could lose 3 of those games and still be in prime position for HFA. After that they get Cincy, then Buffalo and Miami at home, a game where Brady may only play a quarter, or 1-2 drives, as they head towards a first round playoff bye again.

Well, most players don't play that long, even good QBs. But you make a good observation. Many times players, even QBs, hurt early in their career spend much of the rest of their career dealing with injuries. Take a look at both Andrew Luck and RG3. Heck, look at half the QB's in the NFL.

Last night's game has to be one of the worst blowouts I've ever seen. The score could easily have been far greater. Even when the Pats were easing up a bit on defense late, they still easily stopped the Jets. This wasn't as bad as that Saints win over the Colts a few years back, but looked like it.

The poor competition definitely is a big factor, but the Patriot defense has put up just completely insane numbers. Just 6.9 points per game, 4.0 yards per play, and 223 total yards per game. The 49ers are very close in yards, however, they've played one less game, defended 70 less plays from scrimmage. Put in another perspective, at #7 is Minnesota, who gives up over 100 yards more per game.

Pats just traded a 2nd round pick for Mohamed Sanu. He's not the receiver he was a few years back, but will certainly compliment their offense.

Coming up Pats play: CLE, @BAL, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC. All of those teams are better than the one's they've been feasting on, and I'd argue both Cleveland and Philadelphia will be playing close to desperation, making them dangerous. They could lose 3 of those games and still be in prime position for HFA. After that they get Cincy, then Buffalo and Miami at home, a game where Brady may only play a quarter, or 1-2 drives, as they head towards a first round playoff bye again.

Not going to lie, I was hoping it would turn into that Patriots vs Titans 09 57-0 game (which it could have if offense was better). Even with the weak teams, they are destroying the competition compared to the other teams they played. They've made every qb look far worse then he has playing against other teams.

49ers soon to reach the critical part of their season so they need to get past the Panthers and Cardinals before meeting Seattle at home. Then they have the Rams, Cardinals and Hawks once more plus the Ravens, Green Bay, etc. The Panthers game should tell a lot about both teams at the moment. The 49ers defense has been great but their pass game is still wonky.

It's not like the other MNF games have all been competitive. At the very least, half of all the games look like they'll be squash games based off the teams playing.

Wow, didn't realize how bad they been so far.

1 great game right at the start to open the season, and since then lots of weak games with very weak teams.

But some of the weak match-ups, the MNF people wouldn't neccesarily have known would be bad when they made the schedule. Browns SF for example looked promising. Steelers Bengals had some good games in the past.

But if you don't know in June, that Pats Jets in October, isn't gonna be a matchup worth anyone's times, why are you still working in Football?

Wow, didn't realize how bad they been so far.

1 great game right at the start to open the season, and since then lots of weak games with very weak teams.

But some of the weak match-ups, the MNF people wouldn't neccesarily have known would be bad when they made the schedule. Browns SF for example looked promising. Steelers Bengals had some good games in the past.

But if you don't know in June, that Pats Jets in October, isn't gonna be a matchup worth anyone's times, why are you still working in Football?

Especially having the Jets with 2 and Dolphins 1 MNF game.

On a side note, isn't there a rule were each team gets a minimum certain number of prime time games?

It's not like the other MNF games have all been competitive.
This is one quibble old timers have about parity in the league. If you go back 20+ years you could almost always count on some teams being at least good if not great every year (SF, Pitt, Dallas, Oakland, Miami, Wash, NYG, etc.) making match-ups on MNF more marquee. Today, because of parity, it's a lot harder to do that. The NFL tries that with the flex game on Sunday night, but all this taken a lot of prestige out of MNF.

The one thing MNF leave us, just like Thursday's games, is that it's your chance to see teams you normally done if you're watching regular TV, as the main broadcast games on Sunday feature regional games across the country. Therefore if you're a poor sap like me you get to watch the Jets (and Giants usually) suck each week, and the Patriots blow someone out. So even a "bad" game like SF beating the Browns was welcome. Of course I got the extra pleasure of having this be my Monday game as well this week.
I only watched as long as I did to catch the new Star Wars trailer.
The Mandalorian looks promising though, more true to Star Wars. Odd that these "inter" stories (Rogue One, this, Solo was okay at least) seem significantly better than the last several in the "series". Sorry for the off topic. :relaxed:

WAS@MIN - Curious how good the Vikings really are, though this game won't show us that. But hey, it's better than watching the Patriots play the Jets.

We should swap Alpe. I almost always get west coast games but I'm not interested in most of them (which is bad with the Raiders coming). The teams I would always want to watch is Patriots, Dolphins (even though they shper suck right now), Saints, Packers, and Chiefs yet almost always just Chiefs and some Saints.

This is one quibble old timers have about parity in the league. If you go back 20+ years you could almost always count on some teams being at least good if not great every year (SF, Pitt, Dallas, Oakland, Miami, Wash, NYG, etc.) making match-ups on MNF more marquee. Today, because of parity, it's a lot harder to do that. The NFL tries that with the flex game on Sunday night, but all this taken a lot of prestige out of MNF.

The one thing MNF leave us, just like Thursday's games, is that it's your chance to see teams you normally done if you're watching regular TV, as the main broadcast games on Sunday feature regional games across the country. Therefore if you're a poor sap like me you get to watch the Jets (and Giants usually) suck each week, and the Patriots blow someone out. So even a "bad" game like SF beating the Browns was welcome. Of course I got the extra pleasure of having this be my Monday game as well this week.

The Mandalorian looks promising though, more true to Star Wars. Odd that these "inter" stories (Rogue One, this, Solo was okay at least) seem significantly better than the last several in the "series". Sorry for the off topic. :relaxed:

WAS@MIN - Curious how good the Vikings really are, though this game won't show us that. But hey, it's better than watching the Patriots play the Jets.

The biggest takeaway from the Jets game is how bad must the Cowboys have been the week before, to be beaten by them. Of course the Cowboys fans don't want to hear that nor does Skip Bayless. Jets were leading the Cowboys 19-3 at one stage. Also you wonder how bad the Eagles must have been against the Cowboys, from what I saw, pretty bad. Eagles and Falcons are in deep trouble. But of course the Patriots defense has been making most teams look ordinary this season. Some people described the Jets game as one of the worst they have seen with one of the worst QB performances they have seen in recent memory. Patriots seemed to be coasting in the second half.

Especially having the Jets with 2 and Dolphins 1 MNF game.

On a side note, isn't there a rule were each team gets a minimum certain number of prime time games?
No. Unless the limit is 1 and is covered by the TNF game since every team plays guaranteed 1 TNF game.

Browns weren't on MNF for a decade. I don't think I've ever seen a full Buffalo Bills game in my life and I have watched pretty much every SNF and MNF since 2013. They aren't on this season either.

The NFC West is arguably the toughest division in the NFL.

The only one in which all four teams are .500 or better.

The only one in which three teams are legitimate playoff contenders.

The best overall W-L record.

Second only to the NFC North in net point differential.
I'd feel better about that if Russell does not throw any more ducks to the opposing defense. That and get some middle pass pattern coverage so everyone isn't walking down the field. That last game was painful....like living in Cincy.

I'd feel better about that if Russell does not throw any more ducks to the opposing defense. That and get some middle pass pattern coverage so everyone isn't walking down the field. That last game was painful....like living in Cincy.

With the NFC West, the most interest for me is whether or not the Niner's can keep the momentum going and whether the Rams can get back to last year's form. I have some doubt about both. But the Niner's really need to win their next two games before they get into the hard part of their schedule. Panthers won't be easy this week.

I'm not sure how true it is but I have read a couple articles and First Take, First things First, and Undisputed were talking about Mahomes playing against the Packers. If true, I hope he doesn't get more injured.
Wow!...that would only be 10 days from the injury date and hard to believe they would want to rush him back that soon (Stafford missed 2 games with his patella dislocation back in 09). I guess the Chiefs figure that a 70-80% Mahomes is better than a 100% Matt Moore. Lol.

With the NFC West, the most interest for me is whether or not the Niner's can keep the momentum going and whether the Rams can get back to last year's form. I have some doubt about both. But the Niner's really need to win their next two games before they get into the hard part of their schedule. Panthers won't be easy this week.
The NFC West can be like the Pac 12; they eat their own when it counts and screw things up. I give the Rams a chance but opposing teams have had time to counter LA and KC's offensive movement since last season. Seattle has done well against both but better improve defensively soon. I think a good serious rush will mess with Garapolo and Seattle should have it on paper.

As for KC: they should let Mahomes heal. He's better and brighter than Cam and his class of scramblers and should be handled accordingly. No rush to cash in.

Reactions: movingtarget
Less than halfway through the season, a dull Thursday night game has a higher TV rating than the World Series on US television.

Only picking a couple games, again.

SEA@ATL - Matt Ryan out this week, not that Atlanta would have won.
TB@TEN - It looks like Mariota's time is up in Tennessee, as Ryan Tannehill gets a second chance.
ARI@NO - It looks like Drew Brees is going to start. Not that they need him (amazing thing to say, really).
PHI@BUF - At 5-1 the Bills have yet to beat a good team. Are the Eagles good? They have a load of talent. But they couldn't move the ball against Dallas.
LAC@CHI - Both of these teams are struggling, but shouldn't be.
CAR@SF - Allen falls to earth against this D. Looks like one of those 13-6 games.
OAK@HOU - Are the Raiders really a contender? This game will tell.
CLE@NE - This has the markings of an upset. Talented, desperate team, Pats light years ahead and able to coast.
GB@KC - No Mahomes...but the game should still be entertaining. Moore has played well.

MIA@PIT - You asked for an evenly matched MNF game. This might be....close at least.

TRENDING THREADS