• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 417 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Niners had two losses by three points including missed kicks. Jimmy G turnovers continue. Mostert had a big game. Nice TD by Deebo Samuel. Had a similar feel to the Niners game with the Hawks. Ravens kicker in great form.

Bengals, Miami and the Redskins all won on the same day ! The Eagles and Cowboys having similar seasons. Hard to think that one of them will make the playoffs. The Browns continue to mess up when it looks like they have some momentum. Rams made a statement after last week's debacle. A Vikings win would muddy the waters re the standings.

I won't harp on much that has already been said about the Patriots as I dislike it when people bring up the same thing over and over about riders when nothing changes. I'm already sick of hearing Kellerman, Sharp, Parjer, Whitlock and Wright.

They need Antonio Brown. He was cleared by NFL, already saw the system, and is getting paid some already. Brady, Belichick, and other players already stated they wanted him back. It falls on Mr. Kraft. His offense is terrible on all accounts. Brady is furious and hasn't fallen off a step cliff as others have said. He isn't the Brady of old but he still is above average-elite depending on the day. I won't blame him if he retires after this year since he doesn't want to deal with it. Help your star player or you're screwed.

Good wins on all teams. Ravens in the driving seat, Bills can pull a fast one, Raiders not up to snuff, and my Dolphins won with some nice trick plays.

What to make of the Patriots performance ? The offense is not getting any better although the Texans went sleepy byes in the last five minutes and hearts were in mouths on the final kick off. With both the Niners and Patriots losing, it's getting crowded near the top of the standings with some more important match ups next week. Ravens have the momentum at the moment but the playoffs could be interesting as there is not a lot between the best teams in eeach conference it seems. Every team now has been beaten at least twice with four games to go.

Looks like things didn't go your way this week alpe. You almost went Stephen a Smith and got everything wrong.
No kidding. I logged on today to post just that. A few weeks now I've made some pretty bad assessments, at least compared to games and seasons past where I've been generally keen on some games. This week was maybe my worst yet. Wrong on not just outcomes, but how teams performed. I don't have RedZone, and while I do watch some games both online and on the NFL network, I'm not watching games as close this year, and that must be it.

I won't harp on much that has already been said about the Patriots...They need Antonio Brown. He was cleared by NFL, already saw the system, and is getting paid some already. Brady, Belichick, and other players already stated they wanted him back...
I came on here to post this as well. Even as a third receiver, or decoy, he would elevate the offense for certain. All he has to do is show up for practice, suit up and play. Why they don't re-sign him, even if they make him sit for a week, or tell him he'll be mostly riding the bench until they are assured he'll fit into Belicheck's and the team's standards, is beyond me. It can't be the money. Do they really think they have another current player they cannot afford to give up to get him back?

Having said that, I was surprised how lax the Patriots offense looked. I realize several players had the flu, but the defense played fairly well all game. The offense just seemed to play in spurts. Some plays, a few drives even, they looked like the team we expect, but much of the time they were just flat.

As to the 49ers, I still think they are the best team in the NFL. Historically teams that do well week after week on both sides of the ball, and only lose close games, games they could have won, maybe should have won, end up going deep in the playoffs, and I expect that here. The peculiar thing is that if Seattle beats Minnesota, the Seahawks move into first place. I don't think they are as good as SF, but they do have an easier schedule from here on out. @Rams, @CAR, then Arizona and finally SF at home. Whichever team ends up the WC is going to head to either Dallas or Philly, for the "easiest" road playoff game in years.

Reactions: movingtarget
Just read AB's Instagram post about the Patriots. I can't imagine Kraft bringing him back at this point. AB was maybe right about it being a business, and TB wanting him, and the team needing help. But to be that blunt, directed at Kraft, and bring up the Spa issue, I think that all seals his fate.

SEA WON!

IMO, TB12's attitude is the problem with the the pats O. He had the pouty pants facial expressions and body language pretty much the entire game, that isn't how you motivate and lead (on top of his crap ars interviews). Its tough to tell how much the bug hurt them, but... Maybe they need another receiver (is TO still making a comeback?) or maybe the ones they have can run better routes.

Quite an entertaining MNF game with numerous momentum changes. What surprised me was how well SEA ran the ball with over 200 rushing yards vs something like the 5th best rushing defense in the league. That's a good MIN front 7. Especially late when MIN put 8 in the box to stop the run. Might have to rewatch the condensed game on Gamepass because it seemed like there were holes everywhere that Seattle's OL opened up.

SEA WON!

IMO, TB12's attitude is the problem with the the pats O. He had the pouty pants facial expressions and body language pretty much the entire game, that isn't how you motivate and lead (on top of his crap ars interviews). Its tough to tell how much the bug hurt them, but... Maybe they need another receiver (is TO still making a comeback?) or maybe the ones they have can run better routes.

On injury I read on an article or reporter tweet that M. Cannon has been sick the last two weeks, needed help to get his uniform on those two weeks, and needed an IV when he left the Texans game. If true that is crazy on his front.

as a non-american i don't understand why they use this division and seed system. This season it is possible that a 7-9 team gets to host a 13-3 team in the first round :rolleyes:
To add to that, even the 3rd team in the NFC West would be 1st in the East and i am sure that they even would have 1-2 more wins with a NFC East Team schedule.
In my opinion it is ridiculous that a team benefits from something it can't control. The luck of being in a weak division and therefore getting home advantage. Or the misfortune of being the 2nd best team (tbh they are the best, just unlucky to miss 2 FGs for the win) in the NFC and getting forced to play an away game, only bc the other top team is in the same division.

Last edited:
as a non-american i don't understand why they use this division and seed system. This season it is possible that a 7-9 team gets to host a 13-3 team in the first round :rolleyes:
To add to that, even the 3rd team in the NFC West would be 1st in the East and i am sure that they even would have 1-2 more wins with a NFC East Team schedule.
In my opinion it is ridiculous that a team benefits from something it can't control. The luck of being in a weak division and therefore getting home advantage. Or the misfortune of being the 2nd best team (tbh they are the best, just unlucky to miss 2 FGs for the win) in the NFC and getting forced to play an away game, only bc the other top team is in the same division.

SF is good, but let's be honest about the missed field goals. Seattle was the better team on the night. Niners were fortunate that it was that tight. It could have easily been a runaway train. Seattle could have led by three touchdowns. Missed opportunities and horrible officiating prevented the Seahawks from making it a blowout. Seattle deserved that, no doubt.

I think the Ravens are the best team in the NFL right now.

Sort of knew that the Hawks would prevail eventually.

Yes, 'eventually' is a good word here. Another game they should have won comfortably but decided, again, not to. I knew, even with a 34-17 lead in the 4th quarter it wasn't safe. Another TD would have definitely sealed the deal, but the Seahawks haven't had a normal win, apart from the Cardinals game early in the season. Every other game they won has been decided late in the 4th. As the end of the regular season approaches, there are two ways this could lead the team: either they relax (or say enough is enough) and once they have a lead in the 2nd half they extend it and make it comfortable (or even decide to take it by the horns early in the game) OR they run their luck towards the end and they start losing these tight games, including the playoffs, because they've played with fire one too many times. I don't know. It's bewildering how many of these games they've had. I feel like something has to give.

The Seahawks are the least good (don't want to say worst, that would sound harsh) 10-2 team.

10-2 after 12 games with a +36 point differential. That's the lowest differential for a 10-win team through 12 games in NFL history.
5 games won by 3 or less points . Won two because the opponent missed kicks (LA, SF) and the 6th game was very close and decided in overtime. Now i don't say that this is luck, bc they are constantly doing this and close games are their biggest strength, but it should be obvious that this can't work forever.

Fine line between the Seahawks season and the Chargers who unbelievably have lost most of their games by less than 7 points. If Rivers had his standard season they would be in the playoffs again but this year for some reason he has been mediocre to awful. This is a team that won 12 games last season if my memory is correct.

I've never been a fan of the divisions for that reason. I also don't like the way the division schedule is configured every year. How about just playing every team in your conference once instead. BUT, these aren't things that are going to change so I'll move back to complaining about other things (that likely won't change either). o_O

Fine line between the Seahawks season and the Chargers who unbelievably have lost most of their games by less than 7 points. If Rivers had his standard season they would be in the playoffs again but this year for some reason he has been mediocre to awful. This is a team that won 12 games last season if my memory is correct.
And in many instances, they've lost those close games because Rivers was unable to engineer any kind of game winning or game tying drive (remember the last Raiders game). In these situations, he's had plenty of time left, most of his TOs and he ends up throwing a stupid pick, getting sacked or 4 & out with consecutive incompletions, etc. He has no mobility anymore, he's getting old at 38 and even his throwing motion looks weird (somewhat sidearm or something). And too many times Mike Williams has bailed him out with unbelievable acrobatic catches on passes that weren't the best.

He's thrown 8 picks in his last 3 games which is unacceptable for someone with his experience. Though in the Denver game he played pretty good in the 2nd half rallying late in the 4th to tie the game, but the Chargers ended up losing anyway on McManus' walkoff FG after the interference call on Drew Lock's bomb that put the Broncos in FG range with 4 ticks left.

So, that leaves the Chargers at 4-8 which is devastating considering this was a 12-4 team just last year. IMO, it's time for Rivers to retire and for the Chargers to move on and select a top QB in next year's draft.

Also, Rivera given the boot:

Owners mean business as Rivera, the organization's most winningest coach, wasn't even permitted to finish the season! Hard to believe Carolina was 11-5 in 2017 (lost WC playoff game to the Saints though), had a setback last season at 7-9 and Rivera is history. So, I guess at 5-7 and the season pretty much lost, that's about all that Tepper could take anymore despite losing Newton for most of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
I mean this happened last year when the Chargers were the joint best team last year in the AFC but had to go away to the Ravens and away to the Pats, both teams that had worse records.
Its always sucked.

Chargers weren't winning the Bowl last year, that for sure, but I do feel if Pats didn't have their playoff bye week to get healthy, Chiefs would have been in the Superbowl.

There are many other examples of this in nfl history. But the popular opinion in America seems to be "win your division". If your division is the NFC East lucky you.

But it would actually suck way more though if Dallas or Eagles were good this year. If they were good then their easy division inflates their win total to the point where they can get a number 1 seed over a better team like the 9ers, hawks, or Saints and use the HFA to get to the Superbowl.

As it is they likely don't make it past the divisional anyway.

But i guess very little about the NFL is fair. Some contenders get the bye week in week 3 or even week 1 (dolphins 2 years ago) others at the perfect time. Some teams (Pats) get an easy division for 20 years, others (AFC North or West) have multiple contenders almost every year. Some teams having hellish schedules (Saints, 9ers this year) others easy ones (bills). Sometimes a playoff team gets another difficult team the week where their best player is suspended for drink driving, and their rival gets the same team a week later when he's back or out for revenge.

It is what it is.

Reactions: F_Cance
Oh look, its Hitch posting that common misnomer that Patriots only win because they have an easy division.

Think I posted this before, but over the last 10 years, the Patriots have lost more often against their Divisional rivals than they have against the rest of the AFC or against NFC teams.

Record against AFC East. 47-13
Record against rest of AFC. 48-12

with last season skewing things a little with 3 losses against other AFC teams, the only time in 10 years they have not had a winning record against the rest of AFC. They have only swept AFC East once, but have also swept the rest of AFC once.

Record against NFC teams 29-11, weaker but on average they have a 3-1 win loss average. One losing season 2012 and one season(not including this season) when they swept their NFC opponents.

Win-loss % against AFC East Div 79% - 21%
Win-loss % Against rest of NFL: 77% - 23%

Considering the AFC East is supposedly so easy, those percentages are very close. So is it the AFC is weak or Patriots have just been a great team?

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Oh look, its Hitch posting that common misnomer that Patriots only win because they have an easy division.

Think I posted this before, but over the last 10 years, the Patriots have lost more often against their Divisional rivals than they have against the rest of the AFC or against NFC teams.

Record against AFC East. 47-13
Record against rest of AFC. 48-12

with last season skewing things a little with 3 losses against other AFC teams, the only time in 10 years they have not had a winning record against the rest of AFC. They have only swept AFC East once, but have also swept the rest of AFC once.

Record against NFC teams 29-11, weaker but on average they have a 3-1 win loss average. One losing season 2012 and one season(not including this season) when they swept their NFC opponents.

Win-loss % against AFC East Div 79% - 21%
Win-loss % Against rest of NFL: 77% - 23%

Considering the AFC East is supposedly so easy, those percentages are very close. So is it the AFC is weak or Patriots have just been a great team?
The Pats have been a great team. The annoying thing to me is that people seem to 'blame' the Pats for their schedule (not pointing at anyone on here really, more at the talking heads).

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS