• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 430 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Regarding the coaching carousel.

I think hiring Mike McCarthy is maybe the best decision Jerry Jones could have made. He's somewhat of a tough coach, while Garrett was more of a softie, and McCarthy can push and develop Prescott in new ways at the right time in his career. I'm just not sure this is the best decision for McCarthy. I feel as though in a couple years he won't be happy coaching there, unless they go on a big win streak, of course. Then again, I wonder if they are settling on McCarthy because the Panthers aggressively sought, and got Matt Rhule? The Cowboys seemed to decide fairly quickly, so maybe not.

I wonder how Ron Rivera will do in Washington, coaching under Snyder? The most interesting hire is Jack Del Rio to run their defense as DC, and likely control and "own" the defense. Jack was a better HC in Oakland than Jon Gruden, and a good guy. There's potential in Washington already, and this tandem could really help big time.

The Giants, with all their needs have decided to hire Josh McDaniels. An excellent choice to help develop Daniel Jones. Wait, wrong guy. They hired Joe Judge? Joe Judge? Really? Smart guy, but...?

The Browns are the last team left and hiring a coach first, then a GM. I think that's pretty smart considering that Dorsey showed he was more of an autocrat than genius. My gut tells me they are going to go after Kevin Stefanski, who they interviewed last year. Though they may take McDaniels, who is from Ohio. But I think they need more discipline than Josh. Has Josh changed that much since he was HC in Denver? They are still looking at Urban Meyer and Jim Schwartz, as well as Eric Bieniemy. Lincoln Riley is likely out

What I find fascinating is that the Browns have kept Paul Podestra and David Jenkins in the front office through all the turmoil the last few years. Podestra is the sabermetrics guy, and Jenkins one who believes in him. Podestra never was able to implement his vision on how to organize players and strategy, rejected by Dorsey, and the coaches (sounds like Moneyball, doesn't it?). My gut tells me that the team will hire a younger coach (read: not Meyer or Schwartz) who will work more with Paul, but still be more of a stickler for discipline. And a GM will follow that lead. If Stefanski is the guy, then it's very likely Andrew Berry will be the GM. He was the Browns VP who Podestra liked, and Dorsey pushed out. Berry ended up in Minnesota this year. So this all makes sense. I have to wonder if McDaniels is hired as the coach, they go after Nick Caserio or Dave Ziegler, two guys form the Patriots front office? Ziegler is reportedly a very smart details guy who would fit well into this system. Presuming the Browns take one of these two paths, the smartest thing the Haslem's can do is to let them work, and stay the hell away from virtually any management decisions for at least three seasons.

RE: OT rules...I din't comment because we have hashed it out every year it seems like...the rules suck! I prefer alternating possessions from the 40, until one team wins.

RE: Browns...I'd like to see Bieniemy but that is a tough situation for a new HC. Well actually I'd like to see Eric stay, but if he wants a HC job...

It looks like KM will stay in DAL as the OC. He really is a football mind and McC seems to recognize that. They could be a good tandem. They MUST make rules for DP though.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
Liked both of your HC carousel posts (Alpe & jmdirt). Note I did not go further backthread and there may have been some good posts there also, so not to slight anyone. Here are my thoughts:
  • Browns: are in such a mess organizationally I would not wish that job on anyone. Kitchens was a stupid hire from the start. Why expect any different now?
  • Cowboys: agree this was Jones' best attempt at a coaching hire in a long time. The only reason JJohnson did not endure in Dallas was he and Jones both had such big egos, like 2 roosters in a hen house, and they could not coexist. Jimmy actually said what drove him out of Dallas was Jones got drunk one night, got pissed that Johnson ignored him when trying to enter a conversation Johnson was having with someone else, so in his drunken state Jones told the press that the Cowboys could have won that last SB with 100 different head coaches. Johnson packed his bags never to return. I don't see McCarthy being that possessive for the glory and spotlight that Jones craves. So I think McC can endure there, AS LONG AS Jerry does not override decisions the McC wants to make. Jones can be in the decision making process, just not trump (no pun intended) McC. As for Kellen Moore, I really don't think he was the best hire due to lack of experience, but he comes from a studious heritage (father Tom). So work ethic and studiousness just might win out.
  • Redskins: scratching my head why Ron would want that job under that owner. But good hire by Snyder that could work out well. The potential at least is much better than the Browns or Giants situations.
  • Giants: stupid hire (like Kitchens was for Browns) of a guy who "does not know what he does not know" (McCarthy actually said a number of years after he'd taken the GB job and had success, "I didn't know what I didn't know" when asked by a reporter about the biggest challenge making the jump from coordinator to the HC position.) But at least McC was a real coordinator (not just a ST coordinator) BEFORE becoming HC. Joe Judge's experience is, what, the WR coach/ST coordinator of the Pats. My question is, why couldn't the Giants make a better hire than that? The Giants must have some underlying organizational garbage that provides the reason.

Reactions: jmdirt
Liked both of your HC carousel posts (Alpe & jmdirt). Note I did not go further backthread and there may have been some good posts there also, so not to slight anyone. Here are my thoughts:
  • Browns: are in such a mess organizationally I would not wish that job on anyone. Kitchens was a stupid hire from the start. Why expect any different now?
  • Cowboys: agree this was Jones' best attempt at a coaching hire in a long time. The only reason JJohnson did not endure in Dallas was he and Jones both had such big egos, like 2 roosters in a hen house, and they could not coexist. Jimmy actually said what drove him out of Dallas was Jones got drunk one night, got pissed that Johnson ignored him when trying to enter a conversation Johnson was having with someone else, so in his drunken state Jones told the press that the Cowboys could have won that last SB with 100 different head coaches. Johnson packed his bags never to return. I don't see McCarthy being that possessive for the glory and spotlight that Jones craves. So I think McC can endure there, AS LONG AS Jerry does not override decisions the McC wants to make. Jones can be in the decision making process, just not trump (no pun intended) McC. As for Kellen Moore, I really don't think he was the best hire due to lack of experience, but he comes from a studious heritage (father Tom). So work ethic and studiousness just might win out.
  • Redskins: scratching my head why Ron would want that job under that owner. But good hire by Snyder that could work out well. The potential at least is much better than the Browns or Giants situations.
  • Giants: stupid hire (like Kitchens was for Browns) of a guy who "does not know what he does not know" (McCarthy actually said a number of years after he'd taken the GB job and had success, "I didn't know what I didn't know" when asked by a reporter about the biggest challenge making the jump from coordinator to the HC position.) But at least McC was a real coordinator (not just a ST coordinator) BEFORE becoming HC. Joe Judge's experience is, what, the WR coach/ST coordinator of the Pats. My question is, why couldn't the Giants make a better hire than that? The Giants must have some underlying organizational garbage that provides the reason.
I, like you, and few (thousand) others think that the Giants blew it. For that reason alone I hope that they go 16-0! Then next year teams will be scrambling to get the ball boy from other teams as their HC! :))

Hilarious!
  • Giants: stupid hire (like Kitchens was for Browns)

I don't care how much of a genius Judge is, that's just a baffling hire. You bring up Kitchens, while his career was indeed a position coach (RB) at least he had been the OC for several games before being promoted (to his level of incompetence) as HC. Plus, when you look at the Giants needs, stability comes to mind during a time of transition. I can only imagine they looked at Shurmer and thought "old" and went the other direction? I can only guess owners are still enamored with Sean McVay (ignoring the talent and depth on that Rams roster).

As to the Browns, be that Stefnowski, McDaniels, Meyer or someone else, whomever the HC is, he has to go into that meeting with Haslem, Podestra and Jenkins saying, "This team may be loaded with talent, but you have obvious problems here. If you expect me to fix these overnight, or even if we have a bad season or two adjusting to all the issues, and your response is to start meddling, this team will never win, with me or anyone else." I'd even flat out challenge them on that. If they can't answer in the positive, promising to mostly watch with a far and let me work, I'd walk.

Whomever gets the Browns HC job, this will be the 4th HC (and presumably OC) for Baker Mayfield in three seasons. Shades of Alex Smith.

Speaking of, exactly which QBs will be on Washington's roster next season? Haskins, and...Smith? Presuming he really is healthy, and I believe he is, will they really sit Alex at $30m a year? No team will take him in a trade, and cutting him would create a incomprehensible black hole of dead money.

Last edited:
Hilarious!

I don't care how much of a genius Judge is, that's just a baffling hire. You bring up Kitchens, while his career was indeed a position coach (RB) at least he had been the OC for several games before being promoted (to his level of incompetence) as HC. Plus, when you look at the Giants needs, stability comes to mind during a time of transition. I can only imagine they looked at Shurmer and thought "old" and went the other direction? I can only guess owners are still enamored with Sean McVay (ignoring the talent and depth on that Rams roster).

As to the Browns, be that Stefnowski, McDaniels, Meyer or someone else, whomever the HC is, he has to go into that meeting with Haslem, Podestra and Jenkins saying, "This team may be loaded with talent, but you have obvious problems here. If you expect me to fix these overnight, or even if we have a bad season or two adjusting to all the issues, and your response is to start meddling, this team will never win, with me or anyone else." I'd even flat out challenge them on that. If they can't answer in the positive, promising to mostly watch with a far and let me work, I'd walk.

Whomever gets the Browns HC job, this will be the 4th HC (and presumably OC) for Baker Mayfield in three seasons. Shades of Alex Smith.

Speaking of, exactly which QBs will be on Washington's roster next season? Haskins, and...Smith? Presuming he really is healthy, and I believe he is, will they really sit Alex at $30m a year? No team will take him in a trade, and cutting him would create a incomprehensible black hole of dead money.
https://www.redskins.com/news/quarterback-alex-smith-reflects-on-recovery-discusses-whats-next

This may have been the last chance for Brees to get that second SB. I am not sure he'll call it quits or asked to be traded. I bet he goes for it for another season, but winning another SB is going to be very difficult.

The Saints have been on the losing end of some epic playoff games since their SB win in February 2010. This year just added to the list.
Yes I think he's missed his chance.

Hilarious!

Robert Saleh the 49ers DC also interviewed for the Browns head coach job. Probably an outsider to get the job but who knows ?

As for Rivera if he gets the time for a rebuild which depends on the owner and GM maybe it's not such a bad position to take on. If he had stayed at the Panthers I think the playoffs were still looking doubtful. They started well this season but fell off pretty rapidly. Sticking with Cam has to be in doubt and if the team continues to be average they might have trouble retaining players like McCaffery. But the QB position is certainly problematic at the Redskins. Wiser heads would probably advise Smith to retire although Bridgewater came back from a devastating leg injury so who knows ? Too early to tell with Haskins. With someone like Mahomes the quality was apparent very quickly. How Trubisky and Mayfield go next season is anyone's guess. If they don't improve it will be taken out of their hands. At this stage Allen looks better than both of them even though he is still raw. McCarthy should also be good for Dak. Too early to tell with Daniel Jones as well. As far as QBs go, Goff had to be one one of the disappointments of the season and Winston had the remarkable stats of 33-30 !

Hilarious!

The problem with Cleveland is the QB! As I mentioned before he's quickly gravitating to the "bust" category. Why do you think Dorsey was fired? He drafted him with the thee #1 OA pick. He could have taken Allen but instead he took Mayfield. And primarily because he had one superb season at Oklahoma, he becomes the new sensation for Cleveland.

When a GM convinces ownership to select a QB with the #1 OA pick - they're guaranting success right off the bat. No 3-5 yrs of sitting the bench and learning the system under a veteran QB. It's starting most or all of their rookie season, and barring injury, they're expected to do big things their 2nd full season with the most important aspect simply being...WINS. The only exception to this would be injuries that hampers them from not playing full seasons - but the risk here is becoming an "injury bust" (e.g., RG3 & Bradford).

#1 OA drafted QBs command BIG BUCKS and owners aren't going to fork out this kind of dough not expecting big things sooner than later (Mayfield got a ridiculous 32 mil/4-yr rookie contract with a 21 mil signing bonus - an insane signing bonus for someone who hadn't played one down of pro football!). Mayfield simply went backwards after two seasons from 7-8-1 his rookie season to a pathetic 6-10 record this season. He's surrounded with incredible offensive talent. He wasn't injured this year missing any games. Cleveland couldn't win this year and make the playoffs, and as expected heads are rolling.

#1 OA pick QBs are expected to get the team to the playoffs or at least have a winning record by their 2nd full season of starting (no surprises there). The Mannings, Luck, Goff, Winston all did it by their second seasons (actually Luck went 11-5 and to the playoffs his rookie season!). Peyton Manning went from 3-13 his rookie season to 13-3 the next season. It took 3 seasons with Newton, but the team showed improvement every year going from 6-10 his rookie season to 7-9 and finally the breakout season in his 3rd year to 12-4 and a divisional title. With these examples, this is what owners expect - win and win now.

It's funny that Kitchens is taking most of the blame when in Mayfield's rookie season when the team won 7 games (tremendous improvement from the 0-16 season beforehand) and Kitchens, the OC at the time, was celebrated as the hometown hero with the improvement of the offense - so much so that he was promoted to HC!

Whoever Cleveland hires as the HC will be under tremendous pressure to get the team to the playoffs or at the very least a winning season this year or else it's a failure - simple as that. And I have my doubts as long as Mayfield is at the helm.

And from the archives: "John Dorsey on Baker Mayfield: He 'knocked it out of the park' with our coaching staff." Yeah...right. Lol.

Last edited:
Regarding the coaching carousel.

I think hiring Mike McCarthy is maybe the best decision Jerry Jones could have made. He's somewhat of a tough coach, while Garrett was more of a softie, and McCarthy can push and develop Prescott in new ways at the right time in his career. I'm just not sure this is the best decision for McCarthy. I feel as though in a couple years he won't be happy coaching there, unless they go on a big win streak, of course. Then again, I wonder if they are settling on McCarthy because the Panthers aggressively sought, and got Matt Rhule? The Cowboys seemed to decide fairly quickly, so maybe not.
That remains yet to be seen. However, the best decision, apparently, was for GB to fire McCarthy and hire LaFleur. McCarthy was so bad at GB in 2018 that ownership unceremoniously fired him with 4 games still remaining in the season! (4-7-1). This is unprecedented to let go a franchise SB winning coach before the end of the season. Nonetheless, LaFleur gets hired and the team goes 13-3 with the #2 seed restoring the pride of Packers.

McCarthy was 7-9 in 2017 but recall Rodgers missed most of that season with the broken collarbone and the backup was terrible. Rodgers healed up and was ready to go for 2019 starting all 16 games - so there must have been friction between the two on how to run the offense. And with only 4 wins three-forths into the season, ownership must have had just about enough of McCarthy to send him packing. And besides Rodgers was frustrated with his "low football IQ:"

It's funny that McCarthy couldn't get hired anywhere for 2019 (I assume he was interested?). And now Jones thinks he can straighten out the mess there? Let's see if he can first work with Prescott. He apparently didn't have a good working relationship with Rodgers and if the HC can't get along with the franchise QB we all know how that usually ends. Lol.

Last edited:
That remains yet to be seen. However, the best decision, apparently, was for GB to fire McCarthy and hire LaFleur. McCarthy was so bad at GB in 2018 that ownership unceremoniously fired him with 4 games still remaining in the season! (4-7-1). This is unprecedented to let go a franchise SB winning coach before the end of the season. Nonetheless, LaFleur gets hired and the team goes 13-3 with the #2 seed restoring the pride of Packers.

McCarthy was 7-9 in 2017 but recall Rodgers missed most of that season with the broken collarbone and the backup was terrible. Rodgers healed up and was ready to go for 2019 starting all 16 games - so there must have been friction between the two on how to run the offense. And with only 4 wins three-forths into the season, ownership must have had just about enough of McCarthy to send him packing. And besides Rodgers was frustrated with his "low football IQ:"

It's funny that McCarthy couldn't get hired anywhere for 2019 (I assume he was interested?). And now Jones thinks he can straighten out the mess there? Let's see if he can first work with Prescott. He apparently didn't have a good working relationship with Rodgers and if the HC can't get along with the franchise QB we all know how that usually ends. Lol.
it seems Rodgers isn't the easiest guy to work with but there was obvious friction between them and the Packers offense looked terrible last year. I get the feeling that McCarthy is not a great play caller but a good skills coach. Seems the Cowboys wanted a quick turnaround with the coaches and maybe McCarthy was the plan all along at least from when Jerry knew he wouldn't be bringing Garrett back. Rodgers obviously has a lot to do with McCarthy's win record in the league.

La Fleur is from the same pool as Shanahan and McVay, they all worked together at some point and so far have done very well. Shanahan and Lynch had to rebuild the 49ers before they became competitive and then Jimmy did his ACL last season which threw another spanner in the works. This season they are finally looking stable and haven't looked that way since Harbaugh left.

Last edited:
Good points on McCarthy, Rodgers, also Mayfield. I hope to comment more on this later.

MIN@SF - This game almost comes down to one thing. Can the Vikings run Cook? If they can, that buys Cousins time, and makes the overall game more competitive.

TEN@BAL - The Titans only chances here are that they so successfully grind down the clock with Henry, and somehow stop Jackson, or the Ravens make a key mistake late in a close game.

HOU@KC - The Texans really shouldn't have beaten Buffalo, and I see no chance of them stopping a hot KC team, at home.

SEA@GB - The Packers had a really nice win over the Vikings, and the bye will help them tremendously. Still, I'm taking Seattle. They seem like a better team, more battle hardened. However, there have been a few games this year where Seattle fell flat. They do that here, they lose.

SF was clearly a better team in all three phases. The answer to Alpe's Q is no (MIN could not get Cook going at all).
Niners was a dominant win with the run game and defense. I always had the feeling that Seattle and SF would meet again next week. Think Kelce is doubtful as well. Titans are making the Ravens work for it at the moment. Henry and Tannehill are looking good. Think the Chiefs will win the other game. Too many weapons on that offense. Surprised how many of the so called experts on Fox and ESPN picked the Vikings................well not really, they often get it wrong.

Welp that was absolutely awful from the ravens.

I think this will be the first time in 8 years that a one seed won't host the championship game.

49ers game also showed why Seattle needed to win the last game of the season. Sure they might have had a slightly easier path to the championship game if they get there.

But now if they get there, they have to beat the 49ers at home. And I just don't see it happening.

With how pathetic the Vikings looked, also shows how much the saints choked. Though Minnesota did likely play that as their superbowl

Reactions: movingtarget
Welp that was absolutely awful from the ravens.

I think this will be the first time in 8 years that a one seed won't host the championship game.

49ers game also showed why Seattle needed to win the last game of the season. Sure they might have had a slightly easier path to the championship game if they get there.

But now if they get there, they have to beat the 49ers at home. And I just don't see it happening.

With how pathetic the Vikings looked, also shows how much the saints choked. Though Minnesota did likely play that as their superbowl
Titans are on a roll. Two great throws and catches for the first two TDs and Henry is proving to be almost unstoppable. The Ravens just couldn't get going. Ingram's injury didn't help them.

The 49ers defense needed the bye week with that tough schedule and and got three of their defensive starters back with Ford, Tartt and Alexander. The difference was immediate. The defense was back to their early season form as was the run game while the Vikings virtually couldn't run the ball and looked like a tired team in the second half with the Niners dominating time in possession.

Surprised by the Titans, but Henry has put the team on his back over the last few weeks and had yet another 150+ yard game, I think that’s something like 7/8 in a row for him now.

Ravens dominated most of the stats but unfortunately for them that included the turnovers which were obviously costly, thier time will come with Lemar no doubt.

Niners plays a solid game, and as said above, the bye week really got their defence back up to scratch after a long run of tough games. Viking below par, but they looked very jaded after the epic win in New Orleans just 6 days before and were nowhere near that standard yesterday.

Surprised by the Titans, but Henry has put the team on his back over the last few weeks and had yet another 150+ yard game, I think that’s something like 7/8 in a row for him now.

Ravens dominated most of the stats but unfortunately for them that included the turnovers which were obviously costly, thier time will come with Lemar no doubt.

Niners plays a solid game, and as said above, the bye week really got their defence back up to scratch after a long run of tough games. Viking below par, but they looked very jaded after the epic win in New Orleans just 6 days before and were nowhere near that standard yesterday.
I don't know if their time will come.
In the recent NFL, its more that you get your one chance,

Everything was right for them this year. They got the all important one see.

First of all most teams with this kind of a season regress to the next year. They get hit by injuries, coaches leave, players get paid things change.

But even if somehow they don't regress, like the Saints managed this year, things might just not fall in your favour, you get a 3 instead of a 1 seed the next year.

Of course they will be amonst the contenders next year. But I think they will look back to 2019-20 and think - damn, we blew it the year we did have the 1 seed

I don't know if their time will come.
In the recent NFL, its more that you get your one chance,

Everything was right for them this year. They got the all important one see.

First of all most teams with this kind of a season regress to the next year. They get hit by injuries, coaches leave, players get paid things change.

But even if somehow they don't regress, like the Saints managed this year, things might just not fall in your favour, you get a 3 instead of a 1 seed the next year.

Of course they will be amonst the contenders next year. But I think they will look back to 2019-20 and think - damn, we blew it the year we did have the 1 seed

Yes I agree, this was a golden chance for them, but I still feel there is a lot more to come from Lemar. He’s just turned 23, and there’s no reason why he can’t replicate this form for the next few years if he stays healthy.

Of course, there are other factors to consider, and he can’t do it alone, but the Ravens have a fairly strong team to go again next year.

This is why the Cowboys (DP) stats looked so good but they didn't win like the stats indicated that they might: drive 80 yards...throw a pick, drive 70 yards...miss a FG, drive 90 yards...don't get it on 4th an d 1... That's what the Ravens did last night, even when they put a few tings together they didn't finish with a TD. As I (we) have discussed, the only stat that really means anything is W-L and SB titles.

IMO, resting the team was a HORRIBLE idea. Not to be a hind sight couch coach, you'll remember that I warned against this several weeks ago. BUT, we can't take anything away from the Titans because they had a great game plan, and they nailed it.

So is today the day Andy Reid team chokes. You know it's gonna happen. I think they will beat Houston today but then next week the Titans. That will be fun.

Yea I don't have a lot of faith in Reid, especially on the time management side if Henry keeps on plowing through everyone. Texans could win as well if they play better leading to I think an unprecedented 4 and 6 sead in the conference championship.

TRENDING THREADS