• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 442 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They could do for the 7 playoff teams, the best records set your seat not who is the division leaders. But 8-8 or worse can end up getting in and most would be cannon fodder (I know any given Sunday). It'll give more prominence to week 17 games.

But I don't like the 17 games, most likely it'll be at a neutral site so all teams will play overseas each year BUT who will they play that's fair each year. The rotation is already good, this is why I liked the 19 game schedule.

All in all a money grab especially with the TV contracts coming up.

I have a ton of respect for JJ Watt! I love the way that he plays, that he has fought through several serious injuries, his community work and philanthropy... His response to the CBA is lame: "Its a hard no!" OK, tell me why, offer a counter. Explain to me, a fan for longer than you have been alive, why you don't like getting a pay raise that is more than what I make in a year isn't good with you.

• Haha
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I have a ton of respect for JJ Watt! I love the way that he plays, that he has fought through several serious injuries, his community work and philanthropy... His response to the CBA is lame: "Its a hard no!" OK, tell me why, offer a counter. Explain to me, a fan for longer than you have been alive, why you don't like getting a pay raise that is more than what I make in a year isn't good with you.

Did he elaborate if it's on the pay raise or game increase?

Explain to me, a fan for longer than you have been alive, why you don't like getting a pay raise that is more than what I make in a year isn't good with you

It's capped at $250K for the 17th game. That means that players who are making more than that per game on the 16 game schedule, are in effect getting a pay cut. E.g., if you are making $4.5 million on the 16 game schedule, you're getting about $280,000 per game. If you get an extra $250K for game 17, that's less than the $280K you're getting for each of the first sixteen games. Or to put it another way, you're now making less per every game than you were before. Put yet another way, the best players are not making any more for that seventeenth game than lesser players.

It's capped at $250K for the 17th game. That means that players who are making more than that per game on the 16 game schedule, are in effect getting a pay cut. E.g., if you are making $4.5 million on the 16 game schedule, you're getting about $280,000 per game. If you get an extra $250K for game 17, that's less than the $280K you're getting for each of the first sixteen games. Or to put it another way, you're now making less per every game than you were before. Put yet another way, the best players are not making any more for that seventeenth game than lesser players.
Too bad JJ can't say something like that.

In what has to be an absolute shocker, in the XFL the LA Wildcats blew out the DC Defenders 39-9. In case you weren't watching before (no worries, league is new :)), LA was 0-2 and never looked good, DC was 2-0 and looked unbeatable. DC QB Cardale Jones looked like a shoe in for MVP and he should be in the NFL. He threw 4 pics and was benched late today.

The leagued looked like it would have several lopsided games with DC and Houston colliding on March 22nd. Now, this throws a nice wrench in the motor. If you're looking to watch next week, Houston plays Dallas in what could be a good game. The game will probably be on FS1, if you have that network.

St. Louis looks like a solid team in the east, with wins over Dallas, and a close loss to Houston. They play DC in two weeks, and if DC bounces back next week that could be a good game.

This looks like a ploy by the owners to:

a) Make more money. More games = More money. This would come at the expense of the player's health, more than anything.

b) Pitt the star players against the bottom 90% (see Merckx math).

I addressed some of this before and don't feel like repeating a post.
I would much rather see more preseason time (not games) so that teams play 16 good games, than an extra game. But to your point, this won't make the owners more money.

So "sources" have linked TB12 to every team but SEA, GB, AZ, TX, NOLA, KC, and BUF (JAX too a bit because the story there was "MIA, TB or other FL team" so they weren't 'specifically' named but...). It takes silly season to an entirely new level! :)

Of the list above, BUF is the only that could be potentially added to the list I guess because RW, AR, KM, DB, PM are pretty set so we've reached the end of the story...time to start back around!

So "sources" have linked TB12 to every team but SEA, GB, AZ, TX, NOLA, KC, and BUF (JAX too a bit because the story there was "MIA, TB or other FL team" so they weren't 'specifically' named but...). It takes silly season to an entirely new level! :)

Of the list above, BUF is the only that could be potentially added to the list I guess because RW, AR, KM, DB, PM are pretty set so we've reached the end of the story...time to start back around!

I'm waiting for someone to say he'll play in the CFL or XFL.

What has been getting dumb is saying that Belichick didn't put pieces around the offense and Brady is frustrated when he couldn't control Andrews, Henry, and Devlins' injuries or what went down with AB and Gordon. Heck after week 2 everyone picked the Patriots to repeat and then it hit the fan. If half of those things didn't happen their season could have been a lot different. Then don't get me started on the "feud" up in NE. That's the media for you though. Crazy stories sell.

I haven't had time to watch any of the spandex Olympics yet, but headline picking: Herbert looking really good, Ruggs wit ha 4.27, and a punter steals the show on the bench (25X225). Pat McA has to love that!

I saw a clip of Lamb making a big time catch...he can be an NFL stud.

I haven't had time to watch any of the spandex Olympics yet, but headline picking: Herbert looking really good, Ruggs wit ha 4.27, and a punter steals the show on the bench (25X225). Pat McA has to love that!

I saw a clip of Lamb making a big time catch...he can be an NFL stud.
Too funny..."Spandex Olympics." Lol. Curious, why doesn't Burrow & Tua want to throw? (maybe Tua hasn't been cleared to throw yet?). With all this hype on Burrow, I wanted to see what he had in the throwing drills against the other QBs. Interesting to see Cole McDonald from Hawaii invited. He passed for 8000+ yds in just 2 seasons but at Hawaii it's pass 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th down, etc.

Last edited:
Too funny..."Spandex Olympics." Lol. Curious, why doesn't Burrow & Tua want to throw? (maybe Tua hasn't been cleared to throw yet?). With all this hype on Burrow, I wanted to see what he had in the throwing drills against the other QBs. Interesting to see Cole McDonald from Hawaii invited. He passed for 8000+ yds in just 2 seasons but at Hawaii it's pass 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th down, etc.

For Burrow, its a risk to throw. As it is now, he's number one in almost everyone's mind. If he gets out done by, for example, Herbert and/or Hurts...OOOPS! Plus, if he's a lock with CIN, what's the point? I don't know if Tua is cleared, but he hasn't worked out or thrown for a long time so he would likely look poor (better to be remembered as good).

EDIT: From JB's coach:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF67zV7_-y4

On Hurts: it sounds like several/many are asking him to change to other skill positions. The last QB who got those requests ended up doing OK as an NFL QB. Hurts isn't Jackson though, but I could see Jaylen being a Hill Swiss army knife type if the full time QB job doesn't pan out.

Dan Hawkins (past BSU coach) said that its expected that the QB from HI will throw for 1000 yards...per game (when talking about Brennen (about 15,000 career passing yards).

Last edited:
No idea of Tua is cleared either, although as it's been so long since he's thrown or worked out it's best for him to just wait for his pro day at Alabama and the commentators were saying his pro day is going to be later than the regular pro day at Alabama. So with them saying that, I'd almost think Tua may not be cleared yet.

Reactions: jmdirt
Are you kidding me!...Mekhi Becton, 6'7, 357 lbs posts 5.10 40 time!

Excellent agility & footwork for a guy that size - the Broncos could sure use an OT like him (pull some magic in the draft Elway).

Last edited:
No idea of Tua is cleared either, although as it's been so long since he's thrown or worked out it's best for him to just wait for his pro day at Alabama and the commentators were saying his pro day is going to be later than the regular pro day at Alabama. So with them saying that, I'd almost think Tua may not be cleared yet.
I think Tua is going to slip down the draft order. Those injuries are going to have an effect on his ranking I'm sure.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
I think Tua is going to slip down the draft order. Those injuries are going to have an effect on his ranking I'm sure.
I think that it depends on the actual medical conclusion, and how he looks at pro day (he needs to be cautious IMO). My concern is how stable the injury is. Pelvic injuries (pelvic wall esp) can be difficult at best. It is absolutely critical that he has 100% bone repair, THEN soft tissue rebuilding. My assumption is that they have been working on range of motion and stability, but nothing more. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he plays this season...that doesn't mean that someone won't draft him to watch and learn though. Also, IMO he should have returned to AL to prove that his body is good. If he drops a few rounds, I'm correct, if he still goes in the first round, I might be wrong, if he goes in the first round and has a great rookie season, I'm really wrong. :D

TRENDING THREADS