• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 447 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It looks like the Patriots are going forward with Jarrett Stidham. My guess tells me they will still be a very good team, likely winning at least 8 games. Why? Recall that when TB was out, the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell (granted, that was one of the best teams in NFL history), they also went 3-1 with Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett at QB when TB was suspended. Brissett was a third string rookie who had never played a down in the NFL.

Speaking of Brissett, any thoughts on him actually returning to the Pats, now that Rivers is going to be the starting QB in Indy?

I find it interesting that Washington swooped in and took Kyle Allen from Carolina. Does this mean he's the starter and they are not ready for Haskins? And where does that leave Alex Smith? An expensive QB coach wearing a uniform?

I'm also curious how well Nick Foles does in Chicago. So far he's played great for one team, Philadelphia. And in one system, one that uses RPO with quick reads. He seems to really excel in such a system, and nowhere else. Will Chicago employ such a playbook for him? Also, it was at the end of the season when the Bears said they were happy with Trubisky, especially his play late in the season, and expected him to be their guy next year.

Finally, the new CBA passed, and it took the owners one day to vote to increase the playoff format and add a wildcard team. As part of the CBA there's an option for adding a 17th game in 2021, and expect after this coming season the owners to push HARD to make that happen. It's all about money. Money, money, money. I haven't read any other details on the CBA only that it goes through 2030, and barely passed. I'll read up later on drug testing, and Goodell's autocratic authority.

It looks like the Patriots are going forward with Jarrett Stidham. My guess tells me they will still be a very good team, likely winning at least 8 games. Why? Recall that when TB was out, the Pats went 11-5 with Matt Cassell (granted, that was one of the best teams in NFL history), they also went 3-1 with Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett at QB when TB was suspended. Brissett was a third string rookie who had never played a down in the NFL.

Speaking of Brissett, any thoughts on him actually returning to the Pats, now that Rivers is going to be the starting QB in Indy?

I find it interesting that Washington swooped in and took Kyle Allen from Carolina. Does this mean he's the starter and they are not ready for Haskins? And where does that leave Alex Smith? An expensive QB coach wearing a uniform?

I'm also curious how well Nick Foles does in Chicago. So far he's played great for one team, Philadelphia. And in one system, one that uses RPO with quick reads. He seems to really excel in such a system, and nowhere else. Will Chicago employ such a playbook for him? Also, it was at the end of the season when the Bears said they were happy with Trubisky, especially his play late in the season, and expected him to be their guy next year.

Finally, the new CBA passed, and it took the owners one day to vote to increase the playoff format and add a wildcard team. As part of the CBA there's an option for adding a 17th game in 2021, and expect after this coming season the owners to push HARD to make that happen. It's all about money. Money, money, money. I haven't read any other details on the CBA only that it goes through 2030, and barely passed. I'll read up later on drug testing, and Goodell's autocratic authority.
RE: Alex Smith: I don't think that he counts against their cap in his current designation and some of his pay comes from NFL 'insurance' (still expensive though!). You'll have to fact check me on that though since I've never really taken the time to understand the guidelines for each designation.

Think Haskins might be done at that team. The Redskins were already talking about drafting a QB to compete with Haskins. There are indications that some people think Haskins might be another Osweiler even though it's early days. He obviously slipped down the draft order for a reason last year and was quite mouthy about it after Jones was drafted ahead of him to the Giants. I'm surprised that Smith hasn't called it a day in the NFL, his injury was very bad, probably worse than Bridgewater's.

Foles needs to get back on track so does Rivers for that matter. Jury seems to be out on Trubisky and Mayfiekd is probably in the same boat. Both will probably end up as back ups unless something dramatic happens.

The Patriots had the oldest team in the NFL last season and against the best teams they played like it. Neither Brady or Edelman looked that good and even the defense started to go off the boil, not helped by the offense breakdowns of course. Don't see them as a threat to Kansas, Ravens or Titans. The Bills should improve but then the Browns were also expected to improve with some new players but it never happened. Think it will be another early playoff exit for the Patriots at best. The Texans losing Hopkins won't help their cause.

I think Rex Ryan said it best about the Patriots.
Watch "Rex Ryan reacts to Tom Brady leaving the Patriots | Get Up" on YouTube
View: https://youtu.be/k-VjoiuE_7g

Think Haskins might be done at that team...
You may be right. Something caused Ron Rivera to bring in his guy (Allen) who the jury is still somewhat out on, and still unheralded, but young, to compete with Haskins. My guess says if Allen wins the job fairly quickly, Haskins will be gone from DC. The next Josh Rosen.
Foles needs to get back on track so does Rivers for that matter. Jury seems to be out on Trubisky and Mayfield is probably in the same boat. Both will probably end up as back ups unless something dramatic happens.
Agree. Foles was hurt most of last year, on a team with no OL. But if the Bears can formulate some sort of RPO system, he could do well there.

As I posted before, with Keenum coming to Cleveland, and the Browns signing a premiere run blocker, my gut says they are going to expect less of Mayfield this year, and if he doesn't rise up, he'll be done. This could indeed happen in-season. Let's not forget what Keenum did for Minnesota. Good veteran leadership and solid play on a stacked team there a couple years ago. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
...Neither Brady or Edelman looked that good... Don't see them as a threat to Kansas, Ravens or Titans. The Bills should improve but then the Browns were also expected to improve with some new players but it never happened. Think it will be another early playoff exit for the Patriots at best.
Agree again. Edelman had a lot of catches, but he looks like he's nearing the end of his career. The difference in Buffalo is coaching and consistency. There's little drama with that team compared to Cleveland. I also think Josh Allen is still the best QB from that draft and we'll be saying the same in 10 years.
I think Rex Ryan said it best about the Patriots.
For acting like a dummy at times, Rex is spot on there. Think quick, who did they have on offense last year? A poor OL. An aging Edelman, they lost Gronk. Michel had a poor year (mostly due to a weak OL), and Brady wasn't in sync with any of his receivers even after 12+ games.

I still expect the Pats to win games, Belicheck is the best coach in history, and they will still have a stellar defense, but they look like a team that will win about 9 games, lose to teams you would expect, and if they make the playoffs find an early exit. Having said that, they just cut Kessler and may add a QB before FA is over, or surprise us in the draft. We'll see.

You may be right. Something caused Ron Rivera to bring in his guy (Allen) who the jury is still somewhat out on, and still unheralded, but young, to compete with Haskins. My guess says if Allen wins the job fairly quickly, Haskins will be gone from DC. The next Josh Rosen.

Agree. Foles was hurt most of last year, on a team with no OL. But if the Bears can formulate some sort of RPO system, he could do well there.

As I posted before, with Keenum coming to Cleveland, and the Browns signing a premiere run blocker, my gut says they are going to expect less of Mayfield this year, and if he doesn't rise up, he'll be done. This could indeed happen in-season. Let's not forget what Keenum did for Minnesota. Good veteran leadership and solid play on a stacked team there a couple years ago. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Agree again. Edelman had a lot of catches, but he looks like he's nearing the end of his career. The difference in Buffalo is coaching and consistency. There's little drama with that team compared to Cleveland. I also think Josh Allen is still the best QB from that draft and we'll be saying the same in 10 years.

For acting like a dummy at times, Rex is spot on there. Think quick, who did they have on offense last year? A poor OL. An aging Edelman, they lost Gronk. Michel had a poor year (mostly due to a weak OL), and Brady wasn't in sync with any of his receivers even after 12+ games.

I still expect the Pats to win games, Belicheck is the best coach in history, and they will still have a stellar defense, but they look like a team that will win about 9 games, lose to teams you would expect, and if they make the playoffs find an early exit. Having said that, they just cut Kessler and may add a QB before FA is over, or surprise us in the draft. We'll see.

Heck for either QB running RPO would benefit both of them. I don't know why Nagy kept getting away from it when it worked their first year together.

Edelman also had a lot of drops from age and injury. He always had some bad drops but nowhere like this. I think the Bills will fo better as well. The Browns honestly look like a fraternity.

I have my posts from a month ago maybe but the offense was hit with injuries, retirement, personal not working out, and inexperience. Honestly the younger receivers could do better this year with more time in the pros and without Brady's system of always being where you're supposed to be, timing, and knowing what route to run based off the offense play and how the defense is playing. Who knows how many there are and it has been said the plays are very complicated. That's why on a play standpoint I don't blame Sanu but he was lacking in other ways. I think without Brady the offense would dumb down I guess is the right word but get easier.

With everything that happened to the offense that's why I think Belichick doesn't deserve people saying he tried sabotaging Brady. He tried just nothing worked out. I think they will get 8 wins at most and the Bills will win the division. I think they will lose twice against the Bills, split the AFCE games, lose to the division leaders, split the NFCS games and whatever AFC division they play this year. They not only lost Brady bought key pieces of the defense, a defense that when playing high powered offenses got bullied, which you can say is part of the offense not performing as usual which always helped the defenses aggressive play calling Bill likes to use. But Patriots have been weak against the run for awhile. They also have to deal with players wanting to go to NE. If they don't do good this year and next who will want to take a pay cut, deal with Belichick, and the weather We have heard of players wanting to go to NE for a Super Bowl and to play with Tom Brady, not Bill Belichick for all of his MANY achievements and accomplishments. Tampa Bay has already shown a growth with players wanting to go play there with Brady. Tampa Bay of all teams. I think that speaks volumes.

I jusr hope the season starts.

Last edited:
Heck for either QB running RPO would benefit both of them. I don't know why Nagy kept getting away from it when it worked their first year together.

Edelman also had a lot of drops from age and injury. He always had some bad drops but nowhere like this. I think the Bills will fo better as well. The Browns honestly look like a fraternity.

I have my posts from a month ago maybe but the offense was hit with injuries, retirement, personal not working out, and inexperience. Honestly the younger receivers could do better this year with more time in the pros and without Brady's system of always being where you're supposed to be, timing, and knowing what route to run based off the offense play and how the defense is playing. Who knows how many there are and it has been said the plays are very complicated. That's why on a play standpoint I don't blame Sanu but he was lacking in other ways. I think without Brady the offense would dumb down I guess is the right word but get easier.

With everything that happened to the offense that's why I think Belichick doesn't deserve people saying he tried sabotaging Brady. He tried just nothing worked out. I think they will get 8 wins at most and the Bills will win the division. I think they will lose twice against the Bills, split the AFCE games, lose to the division leaders, split the NFCS games and whatever AFC division they play this year. They not only lost Brady bought key pieces of the defense, a defense that when playing high powered offenses got bullied, which you can say is part of the offense not performing as usual which always helped the defenses aggressive play calling Bill likes to use. But Patriots have been weak against the run for awhile. They also have to deal with players wanting to go to NE. If they don't do good this year and next who will want to take a pay cut, deal with Belichick, and the weather We have heard of players wanting to go to NE for a Super Bowl and to play with Tom Brady, not Bill Belichick for all of his MANY achievements and accomplishments. Tampa Bay has already shown a growth with players wanting to go play there with Brady. Tampa Bay of all teams. I think that speaks volumes.

I jusr hope the season starts.
Usually with Bill he can get performances out of new players. He either selects them well or knows how to use them. Last season on offense it didn't really happen and some people thought his pick ups were more questionable than usual. Trent Brown was doing little at the 49ers in his final season there, went to the Patriots and Bill had him playing well and they won a SB. Of course Bill wasn't going to pay big dollars to retain him and let him go the following season. That is typical of Bill B. Not sure why the Patriots didn't sign Sanders last season but the 49ers were happy they didn't. He performed from his first game and now the 49ers have sacrificed Sanders to retain others. It all comes down to value for money I suppose and what stage of their career they are at.

Tampa Bay couldn't overcome Winston's mistakes last season and it was only natural that they wanted a QB. Winston must drive coaches crazy. Each game is a rollercoaster with him, now with his eye surgery there might be some improvement, why he waited so long to get it done is anyone's guess.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Usually with Bill he can get performances out of new players. He either selects them well or knows how to use them. Last season on offense it didn't really happen and some people thought his pick ups were more questionable than usual. Trent Brown was doing little at the 49ers in his final season there, went to the Patriots and Bill had him playing well and they won a SB. Of course Bill wasn't going to pay big dollars to retain him and let him go the following season. That is typical of Bill B. Not sure why the Patriots didn't sign Sanders last season but the 49ers were happy they didn't. He performed from his first game and now the 49ers have sacrificed Sanders to retain others. It all comes down to value for money I suppose and what stage of their career they are at.

Tampa Bay couldn't overcome Winston's mistakes last season and it was only natural that they wanted a QB. Winston must drive coaches crazy. Each game is a rollercoaster with him, now with his eye surgery there might be some improvement, why he waited so long to get it done is anyone's guess.

Belichick I feel his hit or miss on the draft but his scouting on players, teams, and referees is astonishing. But he is good at finding a use for people that they're good at. I'm sure they tried getting Sanders.

I feel bad for Winston. Hopefully he is given a chance and performs better.

Reactions: movingtarget
Is there going to be an NFL season this year? The league's chief medical officer isn't so sure:

As long as we're still in a place where when a single individual tests positive for the virus that you have to quarantine every single person who was in contact with them in any shape form or fashion, then I don't think you can begin to think about reopening a team sport. Because we're going to have positive cases for a very long time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coronaviru...ak-outlook-on-return-of-sports-174644954.html

That's the nub of the problem. Even if fans are banned, all it takes is one positive on one team to throw the entire season into crisis.

Is there going to be an NFL season this year? The league's chief medical officer isn't so sure:

https://sports.yahoo.com/coronaviru...ak-outlook-on-return-of-sports-174644954.html

That's the nub of the problem. Even if fans are banned, all it takes is one positive on one team to throw the entire season into crisis.
Best case scenario is probably a shortened season unless they delay the playoffs and SB which seems improbable. I guess a lot can happen in five months or not happen...........

I remember them discussion this when he was at FSU (squinting to see receivers). Unless it was an eye doc telling him to wait, waiting doesn't seem like the smart choice.

I wondered that as well. I'm assuming that the NBA, NHL and even MLS are all going to be lost. MLS has said they hope to reschedule the entire season, and hope to start play on May 10th, but I see no possible way that happens. I think the XFL was probably the smartest, just canceling the season early on, "see you next year, be safe". I won't be surprised if MLB doesn't have a season, or if they do, it's only about 60 games with a lot of double headers. This is still a big maybe to me as they'd have to start play in July or maybe August. I'm not confident this will be eradicated, or even under control (do you think that's even possible? Anyone?) by then.

I can easily see the NFL pushing back the start of the season to November, and playing a half a season. I also have to say it wouldn't shock me if they ended up nixing the entire season.
I remember them discussion this when he was at FSU (squinting to see receivers). Unless it was an eye doc telling him to wait, waiting doesn't seem like the smart choice.
Wait a minute, he must have worn contacts. There's no possibly way a QB with say, 20/50 vision is going to just go out and play and squint to see players, that makes no sense. And before you wonder if football players wear contacts, they do. Boxers and MMA fighters often wear them. Plenty old school players wore glasses (Chuck Muncie anyone?). The "advantage" of lasik is it can make his vision 20/20 (or 20/15, like Tiger Woods did), and you don't have to wear glasses or contacts. Someone could choose to not have lasik and there are plenty of reasons not to. For one, not every procedure is successful, and plenty of them have gone wrong, with disastrous results. I could easily see a honorable, caring physician telling Winston not to have the procedure due to it's risks, or to not do so until he absolutely felt it was 100% necessary, and only then to find the most reputable eye surgeon/clinic to perform the procedure after careful research. I'm no eye expert, I just have someone in my family in that field, and common people assume lasik is 100% safe without complications, but that's simply not true. There is a high success rate, but also a lot more risk than many people realize.

Reactions: jmdirt
I wondered that as well. I'm assuming that the NBA, NHL and even MLS are all going to be lost. MLS has said they hope to reschedule the entire season, and hope to start play on May 10th, but I see no possible way that happens. I think the XFL was probably the smartest, just canceling the season early on, "see you next year, be safe". I won't be surprised if MLB doesn't have a season, or if they do, it's only about 60 games with a lot of double headers. This is still a big maybe to me as they'd have to start play in July or maybe August. I'm not confident this will be eradicated, or even under control (do you think that's even possible? Anyone?) by then.

I can easily see the NFL pushing back the start of the season to November, and playing a half a season. I also have to say it wouldn't shock me if they ended up nixing the entire season.

Wait a minute, he must have worn contacts. There's no possibly way a QB with say, 20/50 vision is going to just go out and play and squint to see players, that makes no sense. And before you wonder if football players wear contacts, they do. Boxers and MMA fighters often wear them. Plenty old school players wore glasses (Chuck Muncie anyone?). The "advantage" of lasik is it can make his vision 20/20 (or 20/15, like Tiger Woods did), and you don't have to wear glasses or contacts. Someone could choose to not have lasik and there are plenty of reasons not to. For one, not every procedure is successful, and plenty of them have gone wrong, with disastrous results. I could easily see a honorable, caring physician telling Winston not to have the procedure due to it's risks, or to not do so until he absolutely felt it was 100% necessary, and only then to find the most reputable eye surgeon/clinic to perform the procedure after careful research. I'm no eye expert, I just have someone in my family in that field, and common people assume lasik is 100% safe without complications, but that's simply not true. There is a high success rate, but also a lot more risk than many people realize.
I wonder about all of the sports seasons as well, and I wonder at what point we decide life is 'acceptably safe' to move forward. Disclaimer: I don't rank sports over life and death, or the USA/World economy, but this is the NFL thread so my main focus here is NFL.

I don't know about JW's eyes. I just remember watching the thing about his bad vision at FSU and him disliking contacts. I HATE wearing glasses but contacts drive me absolutely nuts, and I am too chicken to be get surgery because I know that I will be one of the small percent who end up blind! :eek:

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Since my last post I looked up the contacts issue and found Von Miller answering a question, saying he has at least one pop out per game, which must be annoying. My take was with the squinting aspect. Even if you really dislike wearing contacts, you'd think Winston could stand to wear them for 3 hours a day during a game, as opposed to not being able to see the field!

I don't blame you for not wanting lasik, and don't consider you a chicken at all for thinking that way. All it takes is about 5 minutes at that link I sent and that would make anyone think twice.

I agree with you that losing the NFL season would mean a lot less than having even one person get sick and die because they played the games. I love football, but it's only football. Same with bike races, and organized rides.

A little over two weeks until the draft. I'm most curious to see if Cincy trades away the top pick. They have so many problems and so many needs, Dalton doesn't outright suck, and if they found a suitable buyer they could possibly make a deal like what the Rams got when they dealt the rights for Robert Griffin away to Washington, and still get a decent QB in the draft they can work with and develop.

Speaking of RG3, I find it interesting he's happily staying at Baltimore. If you've followed his life you'll know he's an intelligent person. He graduated both high school and college early and was working on his masters degree when drafted while also considering law school. I can easily see him just hanging around for the Ravens as a backup/mentor, not getting his body beat up or his brains bashed in while mostly holding a clipboard for $2.5m a year. And since he's on maybe the most talented team in the NFL, walk away with a ring soon. Sounds pretty smart if you ask me.

NFL legend has Tom Dempsey passed away from COVID-19, very sad.

Reactions: jmdirt
Two different takes from Brady's interview.

Thought the second one was a bit harsh.........I mean what were they expecting ? The meaning of life from a sports star and celebrity ?

The XFL may be done before they even started. While a month ago they announced the end of the season due to the coronovirus, while saying they'd be back in 2021, it looks like yesterday nearly everyone on staff got a pink slip, including, probably, Oliver Luck.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...suspend-operations/134trf792jrnd1m6e38esr82fe

I still think a big question is just how bad does Vince McMahon want the league to come back and continue? He "lost" a lot of money on paper in the last few months, and WWE hasn't been doing great, but he can still afford a heavy loss leader for a year or two if he thinks the league can truly catch on. But is that what he wants?

Curios to see if the Raiders will see a different level of pressure when there ticket becomes the ticket in the NFL. This is not just a scalper 's wet dream. I have seen some of the dual ticket models..you get 2 NFL tickets,equal tshirt s and ball cap..ground transportation to and from..w optional cocktails, traveling tailgating..saw a $7000 dollar proposed figure w 5 days hotel stay..and the double offer which included a day or 2 of additional hotel and the same ticket deal to include an NHL game..@$10000..
In San Diego we had TV or other entities buying unpurchased home game tickets to avoid a broadcast black out..We had Sea World and the zoo and good beaches.
what Las Vegas will represent to fans..old ones from California..new ones from a world wide interests and w everything to do..to experience while not watching the Raiders will be hard to beat..
If they put a winner on the field this is going to be a new standard of mega franchise.
**We were able to buy San Diego Chargers tickets @$125 bucks..w perfect weather in Qualcomm \ Jack Murphy Stadium for epic tailgating.
..just couldn't fill the seats..
Viva Las Vegas!!!!

TRENDING THREADS