• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 452 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So I haven't sought out any information, but after hearing that the LA Lakers took money from small businesses....
This belongs in an entirely other thread (which I think is now dead), but you do realize the plutocratic greed and money grabbing from the upper, upper echelon has stretched far, far beyond sports owners, yes?
Bengals released Andy Dalton...I wonder if Bilichick is interested?
As Movingtarget said, I don't see that, because they have Hoyer, who is a similar QB, maybe not quite as good, but one who knows the Pats and their system.
As for the Patriots will they be one of the teams looking at Trevor Lawrence in 2021 ?
He's going to go #1, even if the NCAA doesn't have a season (quite possible), he's the most sure-fire, future NFL prospect since Andrew Luck. So he's looking at Jacksonville, Carolina, Detroit, Washington, Miami and Cincy again should be contenders. The Pats look like an 7-9 maybe 9-7 team to me. Let's not forget they still have a stellar defense and the best coach ever. It's possible that Belicheck does look at this season as a total rebuild, but even then they'd have to really tank, or make a major trade, or a bit of both, to get the #1 pick.
Flacco, Dalton, Cam...Trubisky might be another one on the outer soon and Mayfield needs to get a good start to the season as well, now that Keenum has joined the Browns.
Flacco should be done. Dalton and Cam should be able to get back-up jobs and will. Trubisky has likely lost his job in Chicago to Foles and will just sit. Even if they get away from an RPO type offense that favors Foles, Nick would have to likely get injured to lose the job, he's way, way, way more of a leader than Mitch ever was.

The Browns look like they are set-up to run a lot more to me. They have Chubb, and Hunt, who should now be up to speed with the team. They added Jack Conklin at RT who is one of the best run blocking tackles in the league, then took Jedrick Wills with their top pick (another RT, though Wills protected Tua's blind side at Alabama), whom Sporting News called "the nastiest run blocker in this draft", though 'Bama ran a lot of RPO. The system Stefanski ran in Minnesota (with Keenum, Cousins too) was straight-forward, with a balance of run/pass, and not a lot of risk taken by the QB. One of Keenum's strengths is that he's always been an unselfish guy who could quickly go through progressions and pull the trigger, rarely making blunders that kill drives. Mayfield has been much more apt to try to extend plays and see what he can make of things, often leading to mistakes. Was this his doing? Freddie Kitchens coaching? Probably both. Having four HC's and OC's in three seasons is a lot to ask any QB. My guess tells me Mayfield is the starter there for sure, but if he can't keep his mistakes down, understand they are built to pound out a lot of yards running, while he plays mistake free, and be the leader of such a strategy, he'll be gone and Keenum will take his job. Having said all that, to be honest the Browns still look like they need work, I question just how in sync they'll be on offense, and how well their defensive can stop big plays, plus they play in a division where Baltimore looks every bit as good as they did last year, plus Pittsburgh looks like they may have improved, plus will have Ben back at full health. So the Browns still look like maybe a 9-7 team to me.

The one thing I will say about Cleveland though is that they finally do seem to have the staff they need. While his title is only Chief Strategy Officer, Paul DePodestra has been pushing the team for a few years now to follow his Sabermetric vision. While others around him were fired in all this turmoil, Paul has kept his job for quite a few seasons now. A year ago he wanted Stefanski, and was overruled when they promoted Kitchens. Now he has his guy. They also hired Andrew Berry as GM, who also fits DePodestra's calculating mindset (Masters degree in computer science from Harvard). Unless the Browns absolutely stink this year, and the next, this core unit should mostly stay in place, which should help them in the years to come as some of these players mature.

Last edited:
Flacco should be done. Dalton and Cam should be able to get back-up jobs and will. Trubisky has likely lost his job in Chicago to Foles and will just sit. Even if they get away from an RPO type offense that favors Foles, Nick would have to likely get injured to lose the job, he's way, way, way more of a leader than Mitch ever was.
I don't think Flacco has been medically cleared to play yet anyway (neck).

You think Foles is automatically the starter? You realize he lost his job to some "6th round rookie" who was never considered starting material in the NFL? This is one of the funnier situations with a QB that I've seen in awhile. Jacksonville goes all out on Foles with ownership practically doing cartwheels and signing him to a 88 mil/4-yr deal as their franchise QB. He gets hurt in the first game going on IR, comes back and starts for three games literally stinking up the joint, gets dumped after the season and Minshew, the "6th rounder," is now the guy...amazing.

Also, I see Favre is making the rounds saying he doesn't think Rodgers will finish his career with GB, and in talking with Rodgers - Favre said he was "surprised" with the pick. Geez... no kidding Brett; most of us had already figure that out the minute Love was selected. Lol.

Last edited:
This belongs in an entirely other thread (which I think is now dead), but you do realize the plutocratic greed and money grabbing from the upper, upper echelon has stretched far, far beyond sports owners, yes?

As Movingtarget said, I don't see that, because they have Hoyer, who is a similar QB, maybe not quite as good, but one who knows the Pats and their system.

He's going to go #1, even if the NCAA doesn't have a season (quite possible), he's the most sure-fire, future NFL prospect since Andrew Luck. So he's looking at Jacksonville, Carolina, Detroit, Washington, Miami and Cincy again should be contenders. The Pats look like an 7-9 maybe 9-7 team to me. Let's not forget they still have a stellar defense and the best coach ever. It's possible that Belicheck does look at this season as a total rebuild, but even then they'd have to really tank, or make a major trade, or a bit of both, to get the #1 pick.

The Browns look like they are set-up to run a lot more to me. They have Chubb, and Hunt, who should now be up to speed with the team. They added Jack Conklin at RT who is one of the best run blocking tackles in the league, then took Jedrick Wills with their top pick (another RT, though Wills protected Tua's blind side at Alabama), whom Sporting News called "the nastiest run blocker in this draft", though 'Bama ran a lot of RPO. The system Stefanski ran in Minnesota (with Keenum, Cousins too) was straight-forward, with a balance of run/pass, and not a lot of risk taken by the QB. One of Keenum's strengths is that he's always been an unselfish guy who could quickly go through progressions and pull the trigger, rarely making blunders that kill drives. Mayfield has been much more apt to try to extend plays and see what he can make of things, often leading to mistakes. Was this his doing? Freddie Kitchens coaching? Probably both. Having four HC's and OC's in three seasons is a lot to ask any QB. My guess tells me Mayfield is the starter there for sure, but if he can't keep his mistakes down, understand they are built to pound out a lot of yards running, while he plays mistake free, and be the leader of such a strategy, he'll be gone and Keenum will take his job. Having said all that, to be honest the Browns still look like they need work, I question just how in sync they'll be on offense, and how well their defensive can stop big plays, plus they play in a division where Baltimore looks every bit as good as they did last year, plus Pittsburgh looks like they may have improved, plus will have Ben back at full health. So the Browns still look like maybe a 9-7 team to me.

The one thing I will say about Cleveland though is that they finally do seem to have the staff they need. While his title is only Chief Strategy Officer, Paul DePodestra has been pushing the team for a few years now to follow his Sabermetric vision. While others around him were fired in all this turmoil, Paul has kept his job for quite a few seasons now. A year ago he wanted Stefanski, and was overruled when they promoted Kitchens. Now he has his guy. They also hired Andrew Berry as GM, who also fits DePodestra's calculating mindset (Masters degree in computer science from Harvard). Unless the Browns absolutely stink this year, and the next, this core unit should mostly stay in place, which should help them in the years to come as some of these players mature.
Yes Lawrence is unlikely for the Patriots unless there was a sensational trade and really the Patriots don't have a lot to offer at the moment unless they prop up a trade with a lot of draft picks which probably wouldn't be Bill's style either.

Hunt was tremendous at the Chiefs, probably the best RB in the league before he was banned, along with Gurley, Zeke and McCaffrey . See how he goes with a full season under him. Gurley is a shadow of what he was and Zeke needs to step up as well while Christian has taken their mantle. The 49ers will also hope that Mostert can continue where he left off, same goes for Henry at the Titans. The rookie RB Kansas just signed looks to be special as well so there is a group of really good RBs around at the moment even though they don't get drafted as high anymore.

Yes Lawrence is unlikely for the Patriots unless there was a sensational trade and really the Patriots don't have a lot to offer at the moment unless they prop up a trade with a lot of draft picks which probably wouldn't be Bill's style either.

Hunt was tremendous at the Chiefs, probably the best RB in the league before he was banned, along with Gurley, Zeke and McCaffrey . See how he goes with a full season under him. Gurley is a shadow of what he was and Zeke needs to step up as well while Christian has taken their mantle. The 49ers will also hope that Mostert can continue where he left off, same goes for Henry at the Titans. The rookie RB Kansas just signed looks to be special as well so there is a group of really good RBs around at the moment even though they don't get drafted as high anymore.
For 2020, I'd add Barkley, also maybe Kamara because he is good in both run and pass, to your list.

You think Foles is automatically the starter?
No, not automatically. They've even said it will be a competition, I just think he's going to win the job, as I have little faith in Trubisky. As to Foles last year, he was just too banged up the entire season, even when he came back, to really evaluate his performance. Now, if you're saying that's possible to continue, that it's unlikely he'll regain peak form, even if he plays in a quick read RPO system very similar to what he played in Philly, maybe you're right.

A real key is Mitch's contract. He has an option for a 5th year, and if the Bears don't pick that up, then you know his time there is essentially over. Not sure when a practical deadline for that would be, with C-19 and all.

No surprises in the top 20 for me.
SEA no pick yet...EDIT: an OLB? I was hoping for an OL!
Well, I replied regarding the OLB head scratcher. But I found out there is still another option different from what I said in my original reply (prepping 1st round draftee OLB Jordan Brooks for the SAM LB spot previously held by Mychal Kendricks). There is some talk that Seattle likely will consider moving KJ Wright from his WILL LB position to the SAM position, which in Seattle's defense is not as demanding athletically as the WILL position.

Why move Wright from WILL to SAM? First, the past two years Wright has undergone 2 surgeries, and had a procedure on his ailing knee. Second, in his WILL OLB position he's often asked to do more in pass coverage, and at age 31 his athletic abilities have somewhat diminished which was noticeable vs certain opponents. In the SAM position, he'd spend more time around the line of scrimmage instead of dropping into deeper coverage. Third, typically when Seattle gets out of their base defense they sub out the SAM LB and replace him with a CB. Now, Seattle did stay in their base defense last year more than I ever remember, but if Seattle used more nickle & dime defenses the reduced workload that Wright would see at the SAM LB spot would benefit him and the team.

So this option (Wright to SAM, Brooks to WILL) makes sense if Brooks can learn and adapt to the WILL spot (he played MLB his Sr year at T A&M, with some OLB experience in previous college seasons). Then also if Wright cannot stay healthy Brooks may be forced into the WILL LB role, which is something Seattle probably considered on draft day.

Reactions: jmdirt
Neither of those guys are the answer for the Pats IMO. Hoyer could potentially go 5 and 5, Stedham 4 and 6. Bring in Cam or Andy if you want a chance to get 7 or maybe even 8 wins (if Cam is on fire).
Yeah short timers only. At least with Hoyer, haven't seen much of the other one. Patriots will be very wary of signing someone like Cam. I think the lot of them can be pretty much grouped together which means that the Patriots are still looking for a quality QB not a journeyman or a veteran who has seen better days. Brady was still better than any of them but the time to move on was right for both Brady and Bill. Both would like to think they can still do well without each other which remains to be seen. Player wise at least on offense, Brady is in a better position plus the old bones can avoid the cold for the most part ! Bill will hope he can make progress with Stidham and develop him more.

We're all guessing on Stidham. My guess is that he would do well. It's such a QB-friendly offense they have. He legitimately beat out Hoyer for the #2 job last year as a rookie when they could have easily redshirted him and gone with the veteran option. If he makes the normal QB development from year 1 to year 2 he might not be a downgrade from Brady at all given how average Brady was last season

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they win the AFC East again but they do have some other issues. Sanu was a complete bust - he could be cut just half a season after they traded a 2nd rounder for him. Brady's departure plus the Antonio Brown debacle leaves them with quite a lot of dead cap money. Hightower will surely have to go or take a big pay cut and Thuney could be traded on his franchise tag. They could be heavily reliant on rookies at the TE and LB positions. But in the end it's still the Patriots

Here's a feel-good story. Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff, an OL for the Chiefs, and the first active NFL player to graduate from medical school, is volunteering to help at a long-term care facility near Montreal. He doesn't have a license to practice yet, so he's working as an orderly.

“We’re wearing our masks all day long, throughout the whole shift, and you’re washing your hands,” said Duvernay-Tardif, who is also doing some nursing tasks like handing out medication and making sure patients are OK. “There’s so many precautionary measures in place in order to protect both you and the patients that it just makes everything heavier in terms of tasks; that’s why they need so many people.

“Yes, there’s a lot of medical professionals that have been sick from COVID or are in quarantine right now, but there’s also just more work to do on every floor. So that’s why they need people and that’s why I’m here right now.”

Juggling everything is a difficult balance. He wakes up around 5:30 a.m. and is done around 3 p.m. The Chiefs recently started four-times-a-week virtual workouts, which he’s trying to attend twice a week. Additionally, he’s stayed in contact with the Chiefs’ strength and conditioning staff and has built a nice gym in his garage to stay in shape, though it’s a little easier said than done.

Duvernay-Tardif recently re-negotiated his contract, taking a pay cut to stay in Kansas City.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chiefs-lau...to-use-in-fight-vs-coronavirus-212358315.html

A reminder that for every Antonio Brown (or Laurent's teammate, Bashaud Breeland), there are players like this.

Last edited:
We're all guessing on Stidham. My guess is that he would do well. It's such a QB-friendly offense they have. He legitimately beat out Hoyer for the #2 job last year as a rookie when they could have easily redshirted him and gone with the veteran option. If he makes the normal QB development from year 1 to year 2 he might not be a downgrade from Brady at all given how average Brady was last season

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they win the AFC East again but they do have some other issues. Sanu was a complete bust - he could be cut just half a season after they traded a 2nd rounder for him. Brady's departure plus the Antonio Brown debacle leaves them with quite a lot of dead cap money. Hightower will surely have to go or take a big pay cut and Thuney could be traded on his franchise tag. They could be heavily reliant on rookies at the TE and LB positions. But in the end it's still the Patriots
Well, we're all guessing on anyone who hasn't played NFL football, but we base our guess on their college performance. You feel that Stidham could do well, but do you feel that he has the potential to lead the Pats to 10 win seasons for the next five years? I don't. Can he develop? Of course, but I just don't see him becoming a franchise QB1. With full admission that my memory is horrible, I don't remember him being that special at Auburn. That being said, BB/JMcD have had a better look at him than I have, and they seem to like what they see. Plus, I would love for him to prove me wrong.

Well, we're all guessing on anyone who hasn't played NFL football, but we base our guess on their college performance. You feel that Stidham could do well, but do you feel that he has the potential to lead the Pats to 10 win seasons for the next five years? I don't. Can he develop? Of course, but I just don't see him becoming a franchise QB1. With full admission that my memory is horrible, I don't remember him being that special at Auburn. That being said, BB/JMcD have had a better look at him than I have, and they seem to like what they see. Plus, I would love for him to prove me wrong.
I think in some years gone by almost anyone could have QBed the Pats to 10 win seasons. They are something like 14-6 in games Brady has missed (mostly the Cassel season when Brady did his knee). That division has usually been cannon fodder - 6-0 before the season started - but maybe not in years to come. The Bills are proper rivals now, even the other two teams may finally be headed in the right direction. Anyway the QB position is not such a big deal now imo. Almost more starting QBs than teams. The amount of young QBs coming out of college now - many a lot more pro-ready that they used to be - and some NFL offenses running college option stuff. If Stidham doesn't work out there will be no shortage of options. If need be you could see the Pats resurrecting someone's career like the Titans did with Tannehill

Watched the debut of "Alex Smith: Project 11" on ESPN 60. Great program - a must watch!

Unbelievable what he went through with that compound fracture that turned into Necrotizing Fasciitis and Sepsis. His life was on the line and the surgeons were able to save the leg from amputation. The wound was characterized as more of a combat blast wound. 17 surgical procedures - in external fixation for 15 months. Amazing rehab & therapy - he can even run and do some throwing drills! Here's the trailer - the full program with two versions is on YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/FPthcRYk2Io

Last edited:
I think in some years gone by almost anyone could have QBed the Pats to 10 win seasons. They are something like 14-6 in games Brady has missed (mostly the Cassel season when Brady did his knee). That division has usually been cannon fodder - 6-0 before the season started - but maybe not in years to come. The Bills are proper rivals now, even the other two teams may finally be headed in the right direction. Anyway the QB position is not such a big deal now imo. Almost more starting QBs than teams. The amount of young QBs coming out of college now - many a lot more pro-ready that they used to be - and some NFL offenses running college option stuff. If Stidham doesn't work out there will be no shortage of options. If need be you could see the Pats resurrecting someone's career like the Titans did with Tannehill
This isn't the one I wanted to link, but I'm being a lazy googler:
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...atriots-dominance-over-teams-outside-afc-east

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/new-england-patriots/opponents

Last edited:
Dalton to DAL...I like that. Andy can help Dak, and also step in and win if needed. For Dalton, playing at home must feel good even if he isn't the starter. I frequently felt that Andy could have been better if CIN would have a) schemed better, b) built better. I think that his numbers reflect the the Bengals as much as they reflect him (which can be said about many/most QBs I guess), and really considering what the Bengals put on the field, AD did OK over the years.

Reactions: Koronin
Watched the debut of "Alex Smith: Project 11" on ESPN 60. Great program - a must watch!

Unbelievable what he went through with that compound fracture that turned into Necrotizing Fasciitis and Sepsis. His life was on the line and the surgeons were able to save the leg from amputation. The wound was characterized as more of a combat blast wound. 17 surgical procedures - in external fixation for 15 months. Amazing rehab & therapy - he can even run and do some throwing drills! Here's the trailer - the full program with two versions is on YouTube:

View: https://youtu.be/FPthcRYk2Io
Thanks for pointing to YouTube! When I saw the trailer a few days ago I was trying to figure out how to get access to ESPN, but no need now.

That was good to get a small feel for what he went through (is going through), but also a nice side story of his career! I knew it was pretty bad from things that I had read, but it was even worse than I understood.

I wish he and his family the best!

Reactions: Nomad
Great video on Alex Smith. Say what one may about his career, it's almost impossible to not like the guy, not admire him.

Good article, that I think explains it. Now, will Stidham pan out to be a top flight QB? Or the next Matt Cassell? That remains to be seen.
If Stidham doesn't work out there will be no shortage of options. If need be you could see the Pats resurrecting someone's career like the Titans did with Tannehill.
I am guessing that's in the back of their minds. If Stidham doesn't work out, they'll find out before season's end, or leading into the following year for sure, which gives them plenty of time to find someone discarded by another team, who could shine under their system.
Here's a feel-good story. Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff.
Thanks for sharing that. Some 20+ years ago my best friend who is a nurse, and a close friend of mine who is an MD, tried to talk me into returning to school for a career in medicine. Not likely as an MD, but something akin to nuclear radiology, BSN, nursing anesthesiology, sonography, etc. I felt "too old" at that time (flat out wrong statistically. I'm now over 50 and could still do it, many people have), the hard science courses intimidated me (me and everyone else), and it would be too much work (wrong again, compared to other areas I focused on, it was ALL hard work, welcome to life, career). So whenever I hear stories like this about Duvernay-Tardiff it makes me wonder "what if..." but also makes me feel like there's hope, hope for others, anyone, me elsewhere, to achieve great things, be that in the medical field or not. Chapeau Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff!

Shula was certainly one of the very best. I'm most fond of the Bum Phillips quote attributed to him:

"He can take his'n and beat you'n, and he could take you'n and beat his'n.”

Translated from Bum's Texas slang. Don Shula could beat you with his team. Then you could switch teams with him, play the game again, and he'd beat you with your team.

I think it's way, way too early to guess when the NFL might get started. Some states are just starting too open back up, and in restricted manners. I'm no scientist, but it seems inevitable to me there's going to be 2nd even 3rd outbreaks of this virus in some areas where rules are loosened too quickly, enough carriers are going around, and not enough distancing is practiced. Having large groups of people gathering, even outside, would only greatly risk things. As to teams playing with no fans, as Merckx noted earlier the NFL isn't tennis, or auto racing, it's a full-contact sport, with many players on the field, sidelines, locker room. You can test everyone weekly, but these people have lives, families, friends, etc. So unless they are under full quarantine, there would be a huge risk of a person being a carrier, asymptomatic, contagious, and infecting many people. Imagine if the NFL opens up in mid-September, and two weeks later we find out a dozen players or personnel are infected. That would be a massive, massive nightmare for the league.

TRENDING THREADS