• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 461 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems the NBA is going OK. I still feel the NFL will cancel or postpone play at some point, even if regular season play starts as currently planned.

NBA and NHL are playing in bubbles. That makes things a lot easier to control and makes the environment easier to prevent an outbreak. The NFL is planning on doing what MLB is doing and that isn't working too well.
I don't have a good feeling about football. I also have a hard time seeing college sports working.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
NBA and NHL are playing in bubbles. That makes things a lot easier to control and makes the environment easier to prevent an outbreak. The NFL is planning on doing what MLB is doing and that isn't working too well.
I don't have a good feeling about football. I also have a hard time seeing college sports working.
Some colleges have already suspended their football seasons. I agree re college sports, human nature especially with younger people means they will have a hard job ahead of them keeping Covid discipline in place.

Reactions: Koronin
Some colleges have already suspended their football seasons. I agree re college sports, human nature especially with younger people means they will have a hard job ahead of them keeping Covid discipline in place.

Yes, mostly some of the smaller conferences. I suspect if the big medical schools can't get reopening correct no one is going to be able to. Guess I get to see this second hand with my husband working across the street from Duke U .

Reactions: movingtarget
Looks like he's a go with the league. News on Mathews and Everson is that they're close as well. All makes a significant shift in defensive power in NFC West.
Looks like I was wrong about the league suspending Dunbar, as the league has removed him from the exempt list. Dunbar will have to pass covid tests before he's allowed in the team building. This coming Wednesday he gets his 3rd covid test, & if he passes all 3 he'll be good to go. If he comes on board this should be a strong defensive position group, if they gel as a unit, with good depth.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eared-to-return-after-robbery-charges-dropped

I'd prefer Everson over Clay, and I think Seattle is serious about either. But might Seattle be hoping this activity pressures Clowney to return?¿

Last edited:
Looks like I was wrong about the league suspending Dunbar, as the league has removed him from the exempt list. Dunbar will have to pass covid tests before he's allowed in the team building. This coming Wednesday he gets his 3rd covid test, & if he passes all 3 he'll be good to go. If he comes on board this should be a strong defensive position group, if they gel as a unit, with good depth.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...eared-to-return-after-robbery-charges-dropped

I'd prefer Everson over Clay, and I think Seattle is serious about either. But might Seattle be hoping this activity pressures Clowney to return?¿
"Reports" have them moving on from Clowney but I'm sure they'd welcome him for a price. Agree on Everson over Mathews, too. The final decision may include both and feature who plays best. Seahawks could use the depth for injury protection anyway.

"Reports" have them moving on from Clowney but I'm sure they'd welcome him for a price. Agree on Everson over Mathews, too. The final decision may include both and feature who plays best. Seahawks could use the depth for injury protection anyway.
Clowney turned down 17 mill from the Browns. Something tells me he won't do better than that but maybe he turned it down for other reasons ? Rumours also that the Niners were interested but for them looking at their cap situation, they wouldn't be offering anywhere near 17 mill. Plus they just locked up Mostert and are now working on an extension for Kittle which will be their number one priority and also signed the TE Reed from Washington.

Seahawks cut a player for trying to sneak a woman into a hotel where he was staying. It goes without saying that if it had be Dangeruss, no action would have been taken. (Yes, I know Russ is married and his wife is pregnant, and you'd hope he wouldn't pull a Trump, but speaking hypothetically).

https://sports.yahoo.com/cornerback...-seahawks-gear-into-team-hotel-191625219.html

Two pitchers for Cleveland (MLB) were forced to quarantine for going out on their own one night, but no talk of cutting two important starting pitchers. One of them not only broke the rules about going out, but didn't inform his teammates at a meeting later, which means he potentially exposed all of them. Said teammates are very pissed off.

Seahawks cut a player for trying to sneak a woman into a hotel where he was staying. It goes without saying that if it had be Dangeruss, no action would have been taken. (Yes, I know Russ is married and his wife is pregnant, and you'd hope he wouldn't pull a Trump, but speaking hypothetically).

https://sports.yahoo.com/cornerback...-seahawks-gear-into-team-hotel-191625219.html

Two pitchers for Cleveland (MLB) were forced to quarantine for going out on their own one night, but no talk of cutting two important starting pitchers. One of them not only broke the rules about going out, but didn't inform his teammates at a meeting later, which means he potentially exposed all of them. Said teammates are very pissed off.
Seems to be a thing now..............people sneaking out. Not everyone is the same mentally and just can't handle the rules and some probably don't care unfortunately. Breaking quarantine to buy chicken or go to a strip club..........really ?

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Seems to be a thing now..............people sneaking out. Not everyone is the same mentally and just can't handle the rules and some probably don't care unfortunately. Breaking quarantine to buy chicken or go to a strip club..........really ?
Especially the strip club. These guys have to have good Adult video access and some lotion...they don't get any without complications anyway. Chicken, really? You can get Ezells' to deliver....
Uncle Ike's, too for that matter.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
You wouldn't normally expect this from Russ Wilson, but a couple days ago this week he indirectly took a shot at his coaches (Carroll, Shottenheimer). After noting Seattle's W/L record is so good when they're ahead at halftime, Russ said "We have to be more than just a 4th quarter team. We have to treat every quarter like it is the 4th quarter." He's spot on. They have had one of, if not the, heaviest run/pass loads in the league. And that needs to change with their WR & TE talent.

That situation kind of reminds me of Elway in Denver under HC Dan Reeves: 3 quarters of conservative play, then turn Elway loose in the 4th for the come from behind victory. So Denver replaces Reeves with Shanahan, & the rest is history. (Edit: woops, Wade Phillips was HC for 2 years between Reeves and Shanny)

So, I think either Seattle coaches listen to what Russ is saying and adjust, or Carroll's & Shottenheimer's days are numbered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin

Big Ben says he tore three of the five elbow flexor tendons "off the bone" in Week 2. That's incredible just throwing a routine pass of medium range (wasn't like he chucked the ball 60 yards on a Hail Mary). He says the arm is feeling good and he's the lightest he's been in 13 or 14 yrs.

It'll be interesting to see how that elbow holds up especially if they're behind a lot and he has to throw more often. No other QB has ever torn 3 elbow tendons before.

Last edited:
You wouldn't normally expect this from Russ Wilson, but a couple days ago this week he indirectly took a shot at his coaches (Carroll, Shottenheimer). After noting Seattle's W/L record is so good when they're ahead at halftime, Russ said "We have to be more than just a 4th quarter team. We have to treat every quarter like it is the 4th quarter." He's spot on. They have had one of, if not the, heaviest run/pass loads in the league. And that needs to change with their WR & TE talent.

That situation kind of reminds me of Elway in Denver under HC Dan Reeves: 3 quarters of conservative play, then turn Elway loose in the 4th for the come from behind victory. So Denver replaces Reeves with Shanahan, & the rest is history. (Edit: woops, Wade Phillips was HC for 2 years between Reeves and Shanny)

So, I think either Seattle coaches listen to what Russ is saying and adjust, or Carroll's & Shottenheimer's days are numbered.
They should listen to Russ and what a lot of people have said over the years. He's not exactly a pick-happy QB although he needs a line to get the shorter passes to be less panic driven.

I think those deals Kelce an Kittle got is well spent. It is a ton of money for TEs, but the money was there to spend so they might as well spend it on those studs.
And the Seahawks realized they need to have some bigger guys in the defensive backfield to hold these guys up and not allow an additional 10, punishing yards. Kittle is a Monster and fun to watch even when he toasts our team.

And the Seahawks realized they need to have some bigger guys in the defensive backfield to hold these guys up and not allow an additional 10, punishing yards. Kittle is a Monster and fun to watch even when he toasts our team.
I prefer to say when Kittle plays vs Seattle that he's exciting to watch, not fun. LoL. On paper, Seattle's secondary is vastly improved, and that should help the pass rush. But Seattle's Achilles on D is the pass rush. So we'll see.

TRENDING THREADS