• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 475 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was shocked by this! By all accounts AD is well liked so that would mean that the O line just doesn't give a rip about anything.
Skip Bayless who claims to know everything about everything especially the Cowboys is claiming that the team has quit on the coach already ! While Jerry Jones is going off at journalists in support of his coaches which makes it sound like none of the coaches are going anywhere including McCarthy. The Dalton incident showcased the team's attitude at the moment and I can't see any possible way they win the division as bad as it is.

Reactions: jmdirt
Skip Bayless who claims to know everything about everything especially the Cowboys is claiming that the team has quit on the coach already ! While Jerry Jones is going off at journalists in support of his coaches which makes it sound like none of the coaches are going anywhere including McCarthy. The Dalton incident showcased the team's attitude at the moment and I can't see any possible way they win the division as bad as it is.

I've seen multiple personalities say that, not just Skip though I can believe it. Had the whole offseason drama with Dak and now he's out when he was playing good and they still couldn't win. Than the opponent goes up by multiple scores and all hope leaves them.

Reactions: Koronin
Brady absolutely carried Belichick the GM.
Both brought out the best in each other as head coach and player.
Belichick brought the schemes, discipline, knowledge, and personal (no matter how good or bad they were).
Brady brought the leadership, tenacity, will to win, and quarterback play that he showed in his college days though not as refined.
If we go back to 2001 and Bledsoe wasn't injured, Belichick would have most likely been fired and have a losing record. Brady might not have any record as he could have stayed a backup or not even picked up by a team. Brady might be the first player to invest into him as a head coach that helped bring others in and take the aggression. Players always say that you go to New England to play for championships and with Tom Brady. Another troubling thing is Belichick's coaching tree isn't very good as head coaches. It's hard to judge Belichick now because the team stinks on multiple player levels but he is the GM as well. You can't win with no quality at skill positions, no matter what schemes you have.
Two NE writers thoughts:

Watching this game, I am thinking what Atlanta will do to lose....

Alright looks like they'll hold. Switched off when they got the int with 57 seconds left. Maybe the turn around they needed as a team.

Last edited:
Two NE writers thoughts:

Watching this game, I am thinking what Atlanta will do to lose....

Alright looks like they'll hold. Switched off when they got the int with 57 seconds left. Maybe the turn around they needed as a team.
Falcons looked shaky again in the final four minutes but hung on. QB and owner looked happy !

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Raiders/Browns, 49ers/Hawks, Ravens/Steelers and Rams/Dolphins look to be the pick of the games this week.

Hawks and Niners are riddled with injuries. I expect the 49ers to try and control the clock as per their past two games but it will have to be done without their best RBs and Deebo Samuel and also attack the Hawks secondary when they can. Seattle will probably stick to what's working so far and rely on Wilson to make the big plays when needed. If anything their run game looks even worse off than the Niners so it will depend on Russell reaching his receivers and the 49ers have to find a way to limit his scrambles for easy yards. Not something they been too good at with mobile QBs and the injuries haven't helped with Dee Ford and Bosa out among others but their defense has looked better lately with some adjustments by Saleh. Should be a good game.

Raiders/Browns, 49ers/Hawks, Ravens/Steelers and Rams/Dolphins look to be the pick of the games this week.

Hawks and Niners are riddled with injuries. I expect the 49ers to try and control the clock as per their past two games but it will have to be done without their best RBs and Deebo Samuel and also attack the Hawks secondary when they can. Seattle will probably stick to what's working so far and rely on Wilson to make the big plays when needed. If anything their run game looks even worse off than the Niners so it will depend on Russell reaching his receivers and the 49ers have to find a way to limit his scrambles for easy yards. Not something they been too good at with mobile QBs and the injuries haven't helped with Dee Ford and Bosa out among others but their defense has looked better lately with some adjustments by Saleh. Should be a good game.
Pete Carroll confirmed that Hyde, Carson....all RBs are questionable and the roster will be a gametime choice. The game could be good if enough quality play occurs. If not it will be a sh*tshow appropriate to the NFC East with the last one making a grave mistake losing.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
KC demolished NYJ like we thought. i saw a funny stat that Bell was the highest paid Jet's player on the field. When is Gase going to be fired? He's been poor besides the one playoff year in MIA and his poor attitude against DEN was terrible.

Tough loss for NE. Looked like they started to get in rhythm and the fumble happened. Which might make up for BUF having to kick a field goal instead of the touchdown the receiver let go through his hands. If NE starts trading off players for picks, BB needs to up his drafting game.

GB with the trap game against MIN. Cook was on fire the whole game. Besides the strip sack, Rodgers showed good awareness to get in a proper formation to avoid the 10 second run off. Left the door open for CHI.

PIT and Big Ben with the big comeback year and he'll most likely be Comeback Player of the Year. They should control the AFCN now.

MIA with an amazing win. They can capitalize on any mistakes by BUF to steal AFCE.

Down in TB, looks like Brady is going all in on Brown and being his babysitter or hiring one(preferably male). Hopefully he got permission from Jeter.

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
KC demolished NYJ like we thought. i saw a funny stat that Bell was the highest paid Jet's player on the field. When is Gase going to be fired? He's been poor besides the one playoff year in MIA and his poor attitude against DEN was terrible.

Tough loss for NE. Looked like they started to get in rhythm and the fumble happened. Which might make up for BUF having to kick a field goal instead of the touchdown the receiver let go through his hands. If NE starts trading off players for picks, BB needs to up his drafting game.

GB with the trap game against MIN. Cook was on fire the whole game. Besides the strip sack, Rodgers showed good awareness to get in a proper formation to avoid the 10 second run off. Left the door open for CHI.

PIT and Big Ben with the big comeback year and he'll most likely be Comeback Player of the Year. They should control the AFCN now.

MIA with an amazing win. They can capitalize on any mistakes by BUF to steal AFCE.

Down in TB, looks like Brady is going all in on Brown and being his babysitter or hiring one(preferably male). Hopefully he got permission from Jeter.
Not that surprised by the Vikings win. GB don't have a good run defense and the 49ers will be hoping to exploit that on Thursday. Vikings also pushed Seattle a few games ago. Interesting that the Dolphins have beaten up both the 49ers and the Rams but then both teams have QB's that can be hot and cold. I thought the Bills would be better this season. Pittsburgh keep winning but mistakes killed the Ravens by the sound of things. Goods wins for the Colts and the Raiders. Cowboys game went as expected.

Good win for SEA!
Yeah haven't watched the full game yet but they dominated that game. Disappointed in the Niners performance especially on offense. Jimmy had another forgettable game but he wasn't the only one. Niners lose their next two to the Packers and Bills they can kiss the playoffs goodbye, unbelievably they have more injuries today and now Kittle is hurt. Losing Deebo and Jeff Wilson last week hurt their offense in this game. 49ers are on the precipice but need to go on a run anyway to make the playoffs. It would have been a good day to win with the Bears, GB and Rams all losing. Important win for the Saints as well. 49ers played some really sloppy football and Russell was doing his thing as usual.

Yeah haven't watched the full game yet but they dominated that game. Disappointed in the Niners performance especially on offense. Jimmy had another forgettable game but he wasn't the only one. Niners lose their next two to the Packers and Bills they can kiss the playoffs goodbye, unbelievably they have more injuries today and now Kittle is hurt. Losing Deebo and Jeff Wilson last week hurt their offense in this game. 49ers are on the precipice but need to go on a run anyway to make the playoffs. It would have been a good day to win with the Bears, GB and Rams all losing. Important win for the Saints as well. 49ers played some really sloppy football and Russell was doing his thing as usual.
Well, SF having 13 players on IR can't help. Then during the game both Kittle and Garapolo left with injuries and did not return. Mullins played well in backup, but a lot of the yardage he helped rack up came late in garbage time while Seattle was just playing prevent D. Still, Mullins seemed to perform better than JG did before JG had to exit.

For SEA, DK Metcalf (DCALF for coffee lovers) & Wagner had monster games. Was pleased by performance of 4th string RB DeeJay Dallas (Carson, Hyde, Homer were out) mostly as receiver. Uncharacteristic of Seattle's D, they got pressure on SF QBs with lots of blitzes. I'm betting Wagner had a word or two with Norton (Dunce Coordinator) to call more of that. SEA really needs to get recently signed DT "Snacks" & DE Dunlop into games. Hopefully by next week at Buffalo.

Tale of 2 halves for the Broncos: Pathetic offense in the 1st half down 24-3 with only 60 total yards & 2 1st downs. Must have been some excellent adjustments made and a good butt chewing at halftime as the defense holds the Chargers to 2 FGs and the O scored TDs on four of the their last five possessions. Lock finishes it off with a TD strike to rookie KJ Hamler as time expired; 31-30.

This was a must win for the Broncos and after a disastrous 1st half, Lock redeemed himself showing much better throws, reads, & composure. His leadership looked much better on the game winning drive. This is the year for him to show he's the franchise QB.

Also, great win for Pittsburgh over Baltimore going 7-0: their best start since 1978 when they won the SB that year. It looks like they're getting it done primarily with defense. Total offense is at the lower half of league stats, and Big Ben hasn't had to throw the ball a lot with his total passing yards one of the lowest in the league right now.

Last edited:
Well, SF having 13 players on IR can't help. Then during the game both Kittle and Garapolo left with injuries and did not return. Mullins played well in backup, but a lot of the yardage he helped rack up came late in garbage time while Seattle was just playing prevent D. Still, Mullins seemed to perform better than JG did before JG had to exit.

For SEA, DK Metcalf (DCALF for coffee lovers) & Wagner had monster games. Was pleased by performance of 4th string RB DeeJay Dallas (Carson, Hyde, Homer were out) mostly as receiver. Uncharacteristic of Seattle's D, they got pressure on SF QBs with lots of blitzes. I'm betting Wagner had a word or two with Norton (Dunce Coordinator) to call more of that. SEA really needs to get recently signed DT "Snacks" & DE Dunlop into games. Hopefully by next week at Buffalo.
Yeah, the blitzes caught SF by surprise and ended the short pass game in a hurry; they should keep it up as it helps the secondary too. The SF garbage time success is all you can read from the East Coast press as though Seattle got out lucky. Hopefully they'll be back up to full defensive strength next week( I keep saying that). DJ Dallas was pretty much spoonfed some opportunities, though. They need Carson back to be threatening in the run game. Buffalo needs to win to keep up so that could be a brutal test.
SF needs to move on from Jimmy, healthy or not. He can't manage with all of the other injuries they have on offense.

Yeah, the blitzes caught SF by surprise and ended the short pass game in a hurry; they should keep it up as it helps the secondary too. The SF garbage time success is all you can read from the East Coast press as though Seattle got out lucky. Hopefully they'll be back up to full defensive strength next week( I keep saying that). DJ Dallas was pretty much spoonfed some opportunities, though. They need Carson back to be threatening in the run game. Buffalo needs to win to keep up so that could be a brutal test.
SF needs to move on from Jimmy, healthy or not. He can't manage with all of the other injuries they have on offense.
I think that DJD showed more than just few spoon-fed runs. He actually showed more than I expected for sure, and the way that backs get better is by carrying the ball so maybe he will get even better with more carries.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
I think that DJD showed more than just few spoon-fed runs. He actually showed more than I expected for sure, and the way that backs get better is by carrying the ball so maybe he will get even better with more carries.
Yes, but it took him awhile to resist going down on first contact. He was heading for seams that hadn't or wouldn't open. One thing that seemed to loosen things up: the motion plays to Moore that gained 10 yds+ which the Hawks have a bunch of receivers available to add that pressure. They may save some of this motion to show later in the season? The O-line had better success at gap creation and DJD started bouncing outside, too.

Yes Dallas played well and the 49ers o line wasn't good unlike the previous two games. having third string RBs didn't help but it's been next man up for the 49ers and their injury woes for a season and a half so no excuses, they also lost to a wounded Eagles team and beat a beat up Patriots team, and should have won the Cardinals game. Looking at the way the NFC is going the Hawks have a good shot at the number one seed, not sure what their schedule is but as long as they get some injured players back and don't lose some of their best players, they are getting results even with the shaky defense. They wouldn't have been happy with the Cardinals result which is a game they threw away. With so many teams struggling with injuries this year it's just the way it is. 49ers also have many players coming off contract at the end of this season and with the cap situation the team could look quite different next season. The QB situation will be one of the big ones for them. By opting for defensive draft picks for a few years they passed on QBs like Mahomes and WRs like Metcalf and even RB's like CMC. And next draft they need secondary and o line so the QB situation continues. I have my doubts that Jimmy will be back next season.

Yes, but it took him awhile to resist going down on first contact. He was heading for seams that hadn't or wouldn't open. One thing that seemed to loosen things up: the motion plays to Moore that gained 10 yds+ which the Hawks have a bunch of receivers available to add that pressure. They may save some of this motion to show later in the season? The O-line had better success at gap creation and DJD started bouncing outside, too.
If we've wondered how Seattle can be 6-1 with such a bad defense, not only are Russ & WRs big factors, and Oline run blocking has been good (as you mention above), but Oline pass blocking has improved immensely. Their Oline now ranks 7th in NFL in pass block efficiency per PFF. Whoa! That's up from sucky rankings in the 20's since 2012.
View: https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/1323311660912836610?s=19

Buccs finally prevailed but they had to work for it. Just shows, many picking the Buccs to go deep in the playoffs this season...............
Any given Sunday and classic trap game with a bigger game next week. I figured it would either be extremely close, slug fest or Bucs would be so ahead they'd sit Evans, Gronk, and Miller to stop them from getting injured more. Giants D absolutely showed up and was having really good coverage on the receivers and defensive game plan with how their coverage was set up. Garrett also had a good gameplan for the offense to take advantage of Bowle's aggressive play calling but Jones missed too many. It would be great if they snuck in for the division.

Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS