• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 491 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
While there is no doubt that Bieniemy "deserves" a HC job, I would love to see him stay and keep rolling this machine!
Alex Smith stated today it's ridiculous that he hasn't been hired as a HC yet.

I may be mistaken, but I think Houston is the only HC opening left. Several teams went with younger coaches, I think following the Sean McVey/Matt Lefleur route. Houston is intriguing, as they are headed for at least some re-tooling, and one has to wonder if they hired Bieniemy, it would keep Watson around (presuming they get along).

The LA times just did an article saying how racism is alive and well in NFL coaching, despite the Rooney Rule.

Rumors appearing that Eric may be offered the OC job in Seattle at a very high pay, with the HC job to follow when Pete Carroll retires in a year or two (Pete is 69, and if you don't count Romeo Crenell, the oldest NFL coach). I don't know if I'd take that if I were Eric and offered, as the same offer could also exist just waiting for Andy Reid to retire. Pete is also very spry for his age. Reminds me of Marv Levy.

Seattle fans: I believe Jody Allen has taken ownership of the team, as the executor and primary trustee of Paul's estate. I do know she's a huge Seahawks fan, and I'm presuming wise enough to be like her brother and open the wallet and keep her opinions about personal to herself (unlike Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, etc.. Though apparently Ron Rivera has a firmer grip on WFT than any previous coach under Snyder). Thoughts?

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
An interesting footnote to the latest flameout by Rodgers and the Packers.

Of their last 7 playoff losses, all of them have come to teams they lost to during the regular season.

2012 SF
2013 SF
2014 Sea
2015 Ariz
2016 Atl
2019 SF
2020 TB

It seems crazy that AR has only been to a single super bowl. But when you look at the history, most years they were not the best team in the NFC.

While there is no doubt that Bieniemy "deserves" a HC job, I would love to see him stay and keep rolling this machine!
I think it's a matter of time for him. Saleh was a hot property and didn't last long. If not this season surely the next but Kansas are looking very good, playing with a touch of arrogance even...........like to see the Bucs win but they are up against a well oiled machine at the moment !

Reactions: jmdirt

I may be mistaken, but I think Houston is the only HC opening left. Several teams went with younger coaches, I think following the Sean McVey/Matt Lefleur route. Houston is intriguing, as they are headed for at least some re-tooling, and one has to wonder if they hired Bieniemy, it would keep Watson around (presuming they get along).

The LA times just did an article saying how racism is alive and well in NFL coaching, despite the Rooney Rule.

Rumors appearing that Eric may be offered the OC job in Seattle at a very high pay, with the HC job to follow when Pete Carroll retires in a year or two (Pete is 69, and if you don't count Romeo Crenell, the oldest NFL coach). I don't know if I'd take that if I were Eric and offered, as the same offer could also exist just waiting for Andy Reid to retire. Pete is also very spry for his age. Reminds me of Marv Levy.

Seattle fans: I believe Jody Allen has taken ownership of the team, as the executor and primary trustee of Paul's estate. I do know she's a huge Seahawks fan, and I'm presuming wise enough to be like her brother and open the wallet and keep her opinions about personal to herself (unlike Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, etc.. Though apparently Ron Rivera has a firmer grip on WFT than any previous coach under Snyder). Thoughts?
If the Texans don't sign him Watson is gone. I think he is the only chance for them to keep Watson.

Rodgers is angry after every playoff loss, he is obviously getting frustrated by not getting to the SB with multiple opportunities. He had a great regular season and will win the MVP but if he is ever going to jump ship the timing is right. Love obviously isn't ready to take over but Rodgers like Watson won't come cheap. Another Brady success might encourage Rodgers to move on. I wonder how close the 49ers were to actually signing Brady. The question a lot of people are now asking is why the hell they didn't sign Brady !

There was nothing questionable about that PI call. The stripes had been letting a lot of hands, and bumping go, but pulling the receiver to slow him down is too blatant to let go.
Exactly. They had talked about it after that it was long hold and blatant to the back judge to see. I think the issue is it coming late. Not to say the refs weren't lax during the game on calls.

The Bucs will have to be at the top of their game to have a chance which means keeping the turnovers to a minimum, something Brady has been struggling with of late.

To be fair the 3 ints were all punt ints on 3rd down. They weren't crushing like the 2 GB had but should have given the offense momentum. TB has to score every drive. KC is too explosive of a team that they can start running it up.

To be fair the 3 ints were all punt ints on 3rd down. They weren't crushing like the 2 GB had but should have given the offense momentum. TB has to score every drive. KC is too explosive of a team that they can start running it up.
Yes of course. Be interested to see how the Bucs run game goes and their pass rush. Both were good against GB. GB can't say they didn't have opportunities and Brady made the most of his in the first half. Still don't know why Rodgers didn't try and run the ball in. He's not that fast but there was plenty of space in front of him. It would have been close. The Bills had plenty of field position but kept opting for FGs which says something about the Kansas defense. It seems to be continually underrated. They always game plan well it seems. Maybe taking more risks on offense is the way to beat Kansas but most coaches won't do it. I'm sure Shanahan rues some of his conservative play calling in the 49ers loss in the SB and he did the same in the Falcons SB loss to the Patriots when the Patriots were coming back in the second half. The Raiders loss was a shoot out and the Raiders were very aggressive against Mahomes. I still think that tactic won't work regularly but it worked enough to put Mahomes off his game at times and force mistakes.

Jody Allen would know that the management in place is better equipped than meddling. She would probably sell the team to local interests rather than screw it up if she was done with it. Their real estate investments are doing tremendously and reportedly she was selling off some of Paul's inventory of residential property. He liked islands....lots of them.

Sorry for the cut and paste, but the link is 'protected'.

SEATTLE -- Former Seattle Seahawks offensive tackle Chad Wheeler was formally charged Wednesday following his arrest on suspicion of felony assault-domestic violence.

The King County prosecutor's office filed criminal charges of first-degree domestic violence assault, domestic violence unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest against Wheeler, a spokesperson with the office told ESPN. He is accused of twice choking his girlfriend until she lost consciousness.

Prosecutors requested that Wheeler be placed on electronic home detention and for his ankle monitoring device to be equipped with GPS monitoring.

Wheeler is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 9, when he is expected to enter a plea.

Earlier Wednesday, the Seahawks said that Wheeler, 27, is no longer with the team.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, Wheeler wrote that, "Events happened over the weekend that transpired from a manic episode. I am deeply sorry for the pain and suffering that I have caused to [the woman] and her family. I apologize profusely for the turmoil that I have caused to my family, teammates, fans and those closest to me. The most important thing right now is that [the woman] gets the care she needs and I get help. Both are happening.

"It is time for me to walk away from football and get the help I need to never again pose a threat to another. I cannot express my sorrow or remorse enough. I am truly ashamed."

The Seahawks released a statement Wednesday that read, in part: "The Seahawks are saddened by the details emerging against Chad Wheeler and strongly condemn this act of domestic violence. Our thoughts and support are with the victim. Chad is a free agent and no longer with the team."

Wheeler was waived by the team on Wednesday, per the NFL's official transactions wire.

Wheeler was arrested late Friday evening after the alleged assault at an apartment in the Seattle suburb of Kent, where he and the woman had been living together since November.

According to an incident report and charging documents obtained by ESPN, the woman called 911 from inside a locked bathroom and said she was being "killed." She told Kent police she had fled into the bathroom after Wheeler threw her onto a bed and choked her long enough for her to lose consciousness. At one point, she said, he removed one hand, stuck it down her throat and pressed it against her nose and mouth to try to stop her from breathing, while continuing to choke her with his other hand.

The woman briefly regained consciousness before Wheeler pinned her down and choked her back into unconsciousness, according to the charging documents. The woman recalled attempting to roll away from Wheeler, only for Wheeler to "violently grab her left arm and rip her body back toward him."

The charging documents state that when the woman regained consciousness for the second time, Wheeler calmly returned to the bedroom and expressed surprise, saying to her, "Oh, you're still alive." She ran to the bathroom, locked it and sent text messages to friends and family -- as well as Wheeler's father -- asking them to call 911. She said she heard Wheeler tell someone on the phone -- she believed it was his father -- that he was "just chillin'." When the woman tried to flee out of a second door to the bathroom, Wheeler entered and began apologizing profusely, she said.

Police could hear a woman screaming from inside the apartment, the report states. They forced entry into the unit and then into the locked bathroom, where Wheeler was standing behind the woman. The report states that she was crying in pain, with her face covered in blood and her left arm swollen and limp against her body. She also had noticeable fingerprints on both sides of her neck, according to the report.

The woman was asked by one officer if she thought she was going to die and responded: "I thought I already had."

The charging documents state that the 6-foot-7, 310-pound Wheeler did not comply with officers' commands and that at least one Taser application was made directly to his body "with little effect." As three officers attempted to detain him, Wheeler repeatedly yelled, "Sorry!" and said, "I don't beat women!" He called out to the woman that he loved her. Wheeler refused to speak with officers, according to the report.

The woman was taken to a hospital because of pain in her left arm. Scans revealed a fractured humerus and dislocated elbow in the arm, according to the charging documents, which noted that the whites of her eyes having turned almost completely red was consistent with signs of strangulation. The documents state that a scan of the woman's chest showed indications that she had aspirated fluid and that she vomited large amounts of blood the next day. She also reported a sore throat, difficulty swallowing and eating, headache and neck pain, "which suggests possible internal injuries to the structures within the neck."

The woman told police that Wheeler, whom she has been dating for about six months, has bipolar disorder and that he had not been taking his medication recently. She said Wheeler had a "manic episode" that was not provoked by any sort of argument but rather began when he suddenly "snapped into a dark place" and told her to stand up and bow to him. He grabbed her by the neck and threw her onto the bed when she refused, the woman said.

"We encourage Chad to get the help he needs," the Seahawks said in their statement, which also asked anyone experiencing domestic violence or mental illness to seek help.

Wheeler was booked into King County jail early Saturday morning and released Tuesday morning after posting a $400,000 bail bond. The King County Prosecutor's office asked for Wheeler to be held on $500,000 bail. The judge set bail at $400,000 and ordered Wheeler to have no contact with the woman and to surrender any weapons. He appeared in court Monday to determine whether there was probable cause to continue holding him in jail.

First-degree domestic violence assault is a Class A felony in Washington, while domestic violence unlawful imprisonment is a Class C felony. If convicted, Wheeler could be sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison, according to prosecutors.

An NFL spokesperson told ESPN that the matter is under review of the league's personal conduct policy. ESPN has reached out to Wheeler's agent for comment.

Wheeler went undrafted out of USC in 2017 and spent parts of his first three seasons with the New York Giants, starting 19 games with the team. He joined the Seahawks in October 2019 and appeared in five games this past season. He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent before Seattle waived him Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Times reported that while at USC in December 2015, Wheeler was detained and then taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation after police responded to a call that he was punching walls and windows while barricaded inside an apartment with a 20-year-old female friend and her 7-month-old son. Police subdued Wheeler by firing multiple bean-bag rounds, according to the report.

Sorry for the cut and paste, but the link is 'protected'.

SEATTLE -- Former Seattle Seahawks offensive tackle Chad Wheeler was formally charged Wednesday following his arrest on suspicion of felony assault-domestic violence.

The King County prosecutor's office filed criminal charges of first-degree domestic violence assault, domestic violence unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest against Wheeler, a spokesperson with the office told ESPN. He is accused of twice choking his girlfriend until she lost consciousness.

Prosecutors requested that Wheeler be placed on electronic home detention and for his ankle monitoring device to be equipped with GPS monitoring.

Wheeler is scheduled to be arraigned Feb. 9, when he is expected to enter a plea.

Earlier Wednesday, the Seahawks said that Wheeler, 27, is no longer with the team.

In a series of tweets Wednesday, Wheeler wrote that, "Events happened over the weekend that transpired from a manic episode. I am deeply sorry for the pain and suffering that I have caused to [the woman] and her family. I apologize profusely for the turmoil that I have caused to my family, teammates, fans and those closest to me. The most important thing right now is that [the woman] gets the care she needs and I get help. Both are happening.

"It is time for me to walk away from football and get the help I need to never again pose a threat to another. I cannot express my sorrow or remorse enough. I am truly ashamed."

The Seahawks released a statement Wednesday that read, in part: "The Seahawks are saddened by the details emerging against Chad Wheeler and strongly condemn this act of domestic violence. Our thoughts and support are with the victim. Chad is a free agent and no longer with the team."

Wheeler was waived by the team on Wednesday, per the NFL's official transactions wire.

Wheeler was arrested late Friday evening after the alleged assault at an apartment in the Seattle suburb of Kent, where he and the woman had been living together since November.

According to an incident report and charging documents obtained by ESPN, the woman called 911 from inside a locked bathroom and said she was being "killed." She told Kent police she had fled into the bathroom after Wheeler threw her onto a bed and choked her long enough for her to lose consciousness. At one point, she said, he removed one hand, stuck it down her throat and pressed it against her nose and mouth to try to stop her from breathing, while continuing to choke her with his other hand.

The woman briefly regained consciousness before Wheeler pinned her down and choked her back into unconsciousness, according to the charging documents. The woman recalled attempting to roll away from Wheeler, only for Wheeler to "violently grab her left arm and rip her body back toward him."

The charging documents state that when the woman regained consciousness for the second time, Wheeler calmly returned to the bedroom and expressed surprise, saying to her, "Oh, you're still alive." She ran to the bathroom, locked it and sent text messages to friends and family -- as well as Wheeler's father -- asking them to call 911. She said she heard Wheeler tell someone on the phone -- she believed it was his father -- that he was "just chillin'." When the woman tried to flee out of a second door to the bathroom, Wheeler entered and began apologizing profusely, she said.

Police could hear a woman screaming from inside the apartment, the report states. They forced entry into the unit and then into the locked bathroom, where Wheeler was standing behind the woman. The report states that she was crying in pain, with her face covered in blood and her left arm swollen and limp against her body. She also had noticeable fingerprints on both sides of her neck, according to the report.

The woman was asked by one officer if she thought she was going to die and responded: "I thought I already had."

The charging documents state that the 6-foot-7, 310-pound Wheeler did not comply with officers' commands and that at least one Taser application was made directly to his body "with little effect." As three officers attempted to detain him, Wheeler repeatedly yelled, "Sorry!" and said, "I don't beat women!" He called out to the woman that he loved her. Wheeler refused to speak with officers, according to the report.

The woman was taken to a hospital because of pain in her left arm. Scans revealed a fractured humerus and dislocated elbow in the arm, according to the charging documents, which noted that the whites of her eyes having turned almost completely red was consistent with signs of strangulation. The documents state that a scan of the woman's chest showed indications that she had aspirated fluid and that she vomited large amounts of blood the next day. She also reported a sore throat, difficulty swallowing and eating, headache and neck pain, "which suggests possible internal injuries to the structures within the neck."

The woman told police that Wheeler, whom she has been dating for about six months, has bipolar disorder and that he had not been taking his medication recently. She said Wheeler had a "manic episode" that was not provoked by any sort of argument but rather began when he suddenly "snapped into a dark place" and told her to stand up and bow to him. He grabbed her by the neck and threw her onto the bed when she refused, the woman said.

"We encourage Chad to get the help he needs," the Seahawks said in their statement, which also asked anyone experiencing domestic violence or mental illness to seek help.

Wheeler was booked into King County jail early Saturday morning and released Tuesday morning after posting a $400,000 bail bond. The King County Prosecutor's office asked for Wheeler to be held on $500,000 bail. The judge set bail at $400,000 and ordered Wheeler to have no contact with the woman and to surrender any weapons. He appeared in court Monday to determine whether there was probable cause to continue holding him in jail.

First-degree domestic violence assault is a Class A felony in Washington, while domestic violence unlawful imprisonment is a Class C felony. If convicted, Wheeler could be sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison, according to prosecutors.

An NFL spokesperson told ESPN that the matter is under review of the league's personal conduct policy. ESPN has reached out to Wheeler's agent for comment.

Wheeler went undrafted out of USC in 2017 and spent parts of his first three seasons with the New York Giants, starting 19 games with the team. He joined the Seahawks in October 2019 and appeared in five games this past season. He was scheduled to become a restricted free agent before Seattle waived him Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Times reported that while at USC in December 2015, Wheeler was detained and then taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation after police responded to a call that he was punching walls and windows while barricaded inside an apartment with a 20-year-old female friend and her 7-month-old son. Police subdued Wheeler by firing multiple bean-bag rounds, according to the report.
Sounds like another career over.

No one mentioning the Rams who have a habit of big splash signings and not worrying too much about the future ramifications..........one place he won't be going is to the Saints who are way way over the salary cap. I think Stafford is more likely for the 49ers than Watson but some draft pundits are tipping the 49ers to trade up in the draft for a QB. I think that is more unlikely as they are just about to lose quite a few free agents and will want to retain as many picks as possible. The signs are that some team is going to overpay for Stafford with so many teams currently looking for a QB. I think Shanahan wants someone to plug and play now not a rookie who has to learn the system. The 49ers have gone from the youngest squad in the NFL a few seasons ago to the fourth oldest now so their window is open now. Still doubtful whether they retain Trent Williams and they also have to re-sign Fred Warner within the next 12 months. I think they will settle for a QB upgrade at the moment and try and retain as much depth as possible on their roster. But it looks like curtains for Jimmy G before next season if the rumor mill hype is to be believed. Be also interesting to see if Rosen is retained as a back up.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
IMO, the best team for Watson would be SF (SF says bye bye to Jimmy G). For Houston, they could probably land the best trade deal with the Jets, who could offer Darnold and/or a variety of pick options. Goff's big contract probably knocks the Rams out of the running. Detroit, who's prolly unloading Stafford, would be a stinker landing spot for Watson. How about Chicago or Miami? From Watson's perspective, I'd think SF, Carolina, & Washington would be more desirable.

Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS