• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 514 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think he's always been QB material - I don't think he would have been taken in the 1st round by Baltimore if he wasn't. You're right though - several teams thought he should play another position but other teams also thought he was late 2nd or high 3rd round draft material at the QB position. Remember in just 3 seasons at Louisville he threw for over 9,000 yards with a 57% Pct & 69 TDs. He's the definition of a pure dual-threat QB.

Granted he doesn't have a cannon like Mahomes, Allen or Rodgers or the accuracy of a Brady, Rodgers or Wilson. But I think Raven's QB coach James Urban (who's been in the league for 18 yrs & has worked with McNabb & Vick) has done a good job in improving LJ's passing game. With LJ's improvement, I imagine DCs are having a difficult time trying to put together an effective game plan against the Raven's O.

I'm going with Baltimore & Arizona for the SB - two electrifying dual-threat QBs in action!
Me too! I'm too lazy to actually dig back through this thread, but I posted many times that he might be the best QB in that class. To this point, that is proving to be true. Obviously Josh Allen is coming into his own now too. I loved watching him in college too! Exciting! I have some friends from my Army days at Ft. Knox who still live in Louisville and they love the guy!

I agree, great planning around his strengths while building his other skills. Yes, hard for DCs to scheme for.

Good article on ESPN about the failure of Jon Gruden, as a coach as much as anything.

One thing in that article which caught my attention because it's often been a point of contention - who was the defacto GM and had the final say over draft/trades etc ?
Per Davis, general manager Mike Mayock will retain his title going forward but will now have 51% of the decision-making power on personnel moves, with Bisaccia at 49%. Before, it was Gruden 51%, Mayock 49%.
I wouldn't dispute that Gruden had major say but Mayock himself is one of the more high profile GMs in the league thanks to his big TV profile and Gruden was already there when he took the job. If the draft picks in particular were not down to draft guru Mayock then why was he there? He certainly seemed happy to talk those picks up as if they were his own
Meanwhile if Bisaccia has any say whatsoever then that's not reflecting much confidence in Mayock

Reactions: jmdirt
21-7 Bucs
Bucs offense was moving the ball until the end. Brady was throwing well then missed two throws he should have had to Evans and Brown and then the arm punt. It looks like his thumb started affecting him. Eagles defense playing aggressively and trying to be in it but Hurts is missing his receivers deep. But he is making them pay with his legs.

Bucs offense has not looked good after the half in my opinion. Brady is missing throws now and they’re playing more conservative but Eagles are still struggling to move the ball.

It has too be hurt. I think this is the most conservative they’ve ever been this year so far. But they get going the last drive with help from a taunting cal against Eagles and decide to let clock run out instead of kicking field goal to be at 31. They’re saying he might have hurt his thumb more on the almost interception to Brate at the end of the half by hitting a defender in the helmet while throwing.

Last edited:
Bucs offense has not looked good after the half in my opinion. Brady is missing throws now and they’re playing more conservative but Eagles are still struggling to move the ball.

It has too be hurt. I think this is the most conservative they’ve ever been this year so far. But they get going the last drive with help from a taunting cal against Eagles and decide to let clock run out instead of kicking field goal to be at 31. They’re saying he might have hurt his thumb more on the almost interception to Brate at the end of the half by hitting a defender in the helmet while throwing.
Eagles defense was pretty awful at times which made it easier for the Bucs.

Aikman made the point that this is only Hurts 10th start so taking that into account, he just needs to 'relax'/'settle' more. He plays full amped, and that doesn't allow him to see/feel things nor get the ball out and to the spot he needs to. His completion % in his 6 starts this year is 10% better than his 4 starts last year so that's good progress.

Big wins for the Ravens and Cardinals. Dropped balls cost the Ravens an even bigger win. The Browns obviously missed Chubb and Mayfield had a hit and miss game. The Giants held the Rams early then the floodgates opened with constant turnovers from the Giants. Jones was terrible and the Stafford/Kupp show continues. The Colts are improving but they beat a pretty lame Texans team.

Wild wins for Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

I thought Arizona was a paper winner for a few weeks now, but I'm starting to believe. They are strong across the board, and deep.

Baltimore looks absolutely explosive. At any given point it seems like they could put up a lot of points real quick.

Really nice win for the Raiders. The talent may be there for Raider Nation to hope.

I know KC pulled away from Washington, but they simply do not look like the same team they were the last 2-3 seasons. Even Mahomes doesn't have the consistency.

Loved the way Aaron Rodgers (briefly) was listed on Wikipedia as the owner of the Chicago Bears. Packers are 5-1, but their point differential is only +8, due to that ugly early loss to the Saints. Still can't quite figure out if they are for real. It's as if they could be the best team in the NFL.

I know KC pulled away from Washington, but they simply do not look like the same team they were the last 2-3 seasons. Even Mahomes doesn't have the consistency.
For the Chiefs I feel like a lot of it is trying to be Superman and carry the team and used to the interceptions not happening. They’ve had all the luck with them either being dropped or a penalty, that isn’t happening now.

Reactions: movingtarget
Really nice win for the Raiders. The talent may be there for Raider Nation to hope.
This is funny. All week long here in Denver, the sports talk shows with their cavelier talking heads kept saying this should be an easy win for the Broncos. They cited reports that the Raiders are in "disarray" with the resignation of Gruden, there is consternation among the players and that the Broncos have a vulnerable Raider's team at home. Hilarious at how bad the Broncos got waxed at home by a team supposedly in such "disarray." Lol.

Same old Broncos with a 3 game losing streak after starting 3-0. Time for Fangio to go!

Last edited:
SEA first half O was unacceptable for a professional team. A lot of the blame is on the coaching staff, but plenty of blame goes to the O line (shocker), and Geno.
Spot on about the first half and they're lucky that Pittsburgh had similar issues. The second half was wild and a shame Geno got stripped on an excellent play by Watt. Still no guarantee they'd have scored but tough way to end that half and possibly the playoff hopes for Seattle.

Seahawks won’t be making the playoffs this season. There are too many problems. Neither the offense nor defense can play a whole game at a good level, there are injuries and Pete is way too stubborn. Ken Norton needs to go. Should be an offseason.
Both the Hawks and the 49ers playoff chances are currently on the precipice. Each team needs a long run of wins which seems improbable at the moment. Washington is another team looking down the barrel of getting back to the playoffs and the Colts and Titans are also under pressure. 49ers are having offense woes which is as odds with Deebo Samuel playing so well now that he is healthy again while the Hawks have looked off since the season started especially on defense . Cardinals, Bills and Ravens have impressed me so far. The Chiefs are trying to play with their usual flair but its not working cause their fundamentals keep letting them down.

I expected BUF to win last night, but TEN is a solid team, so goes the NFL.
Henry was having one of those games. The kick return called back for holding for the Bills and Allen slipping on the final play when they refused to take the kick were critical moments. Titans are one of those unpredictable teams week to week. Sometimes their defense looks pretty ordinary. Entertaining game.

10-0 CLE
Broncos offense has been very lethargic. The closest they have gotten to scoring was an almost pick 6 if the ball didn’t hit Beckham falling down. Otherwise their punter has been the best offensive weapon. Strangely OPI was called on a ball thrown out of bounds and uncatchable at the end of the half but Broncos have been stagnant. It’s good for Browns they play Broncos and 10 days before next game to rest and heal.

Last edited:
10-0 CLE
Broncos offense has been very lethargic. The closest they have gotten to scoring was an almost pick 6 if the ball didn’t hit Beckham falling down. Otherwise their punter has been the best offensive weapon. Strangely OPI was called on a ball thrown out of bounds and uncatchable at the end of the half but Broncos have been stagnant. It’s good for Browns they play Broncos and 10 days before next game to rest and heal.
Browns have found another RB with Johnson. Keenum was better than Bridgewater. Browns will take the win with a makeshift team.

Yeh, both of the 'fill ins' looked good on O. Keenum has done this in his career before: a great game, a few good games, several bad games. I loved how he made a play out of nothing and fought for yards near the goal line. Johnson, wow! I'm not sure what's up with Bridgewater. No that the O is amazing, but he looked better in preseason and the first few games.

TRENDING THREADS