• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 560 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have yet to see Tua play mistake free enough of the time, or really be that productive. Recall, when Miami had an aging Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the two of them shared time at the position, Fitz put up better numbers, and the offense seemed on fire at times. Now, I don't know how much Brian Flores had to do with that - he did insert and maybe favor Tua when they were both healthy, but there's also talk where Flores said they got along fine, but some sources say Tua never felt the same about Flores. Who knows? But Tua certainly has all the tools now. How well can Mike McDaniel coach? He was OC for the 49ers, but Shanahan called the plays. He's never been an HC of any team, or a play caller from what I can tell. It almost looks like teams are desperate to find a young Sean McVey "wunderkind" to magically solve all their problems with their wicket smart genius, and McDaniel went to Yale, so, case closed! We'll see...

Curious how well the Murray-Brown, and Carr-Adams connection works, as both played college together. I was skeptical of the Bengals taking Ja'Marr Chase so high, but he and Joe Burrow are a real reason for Cincy's success with a great connection going back to college.

Julian Edelman talking about un-retiring. I think this would be a bad idea. It almost never works well. Gronk missed 2019 and came back and was serviceable. But he's maybe the best TE in history. I can't think of a single other player who retired for a full year, then came back. Players like Dieon Sanders who left to play baseball for a year in his prime don't count. I'm talking about fully retired players, like in their md or late 30's, like Edelman.

I have yet to see Tua play mistake free enough of the time, or really be that productive. Recall, when Miami had an aging Ryan Fitzpatrick, and the two of them shared time at the position, Fitz put up better numbers, and the offense seemed on fire at times. Now, I don't know how much Brian Flores had to do with that - he did insert and maybe favor Tua when they were both healthy, but there's also talk where Flores said they got along fine, but some sources say Tua never felt the same about Flores. Who knows? But Tua certainly has all the tools now. How well can Mike McDaniel coach? He was OC for the 49ers, but Shanahan called the plays. He's never been an HC of any team, or a play caller from what I can tell. It almost looks like teams are desperate to find a young Sean McVey "wunderkind" to magically solve all their problems with their wicket smart genius, and McDaniel went to Yale, so, case closed! We'll see...

Curious how well the Murray-Brown, and Carr-Adams connection works, as both played college together. I was skeptical of the Bengals taking Ja'Marr Chase so high, but he and Joe Burrow are a real reason for Cincy's success with a great connection going back to college.

Julian Edelman talking about un-retiring. I think this would be a bad idea. It almost never works well. Gronk missed 2019 and came back and was serviceable. But he's maybe the best TE in history. I can't think of a single other player who retired for a full year, then came back. Players like Dieon Sanders who left to play baseball for a year in his prime don't count. I'm talking about fully retired players, like in their md or late 30's, like Edelman.

It was painful watching Edelman's struggles and he was also pinged for steroid use. Hopefully he hasn't got money issues as he looks like someone that should have retired possibly earlier. Edelman wound up getting injured a lot.

McDaniel called the O/C at the 49ers but was known as the play designer more than anything else. It was obvious why he wanted to take some 49ers players with him and will be interesting to see if he can recreate Mostert's success at the Dolphins, also be interesting to see what style of offense it is. I suspect it will be close to the 49ers last season but with the arrival of Anthony Lynne at the 49ers it seems the 49ers may be opting for more of a power run game and the rookie they drafted is that style of RB. So it could be less of the small fast guys getting to the outside than previous seasons.

Not sold on Tua yet and many thought the Dolphins might have moved on and taken a free agent or drafted someone. Without the coaching change he might have been gone. I think Carr and Adams will be a dangerous combo.

It was painful watching Edelman's struggles and he was also pinged for steroid use. Hopefully he hasn't got money issues as he looks like someone that should have retired possibly earlier. Edelman wound up getting injured a lot.

McDaniel called the O/C at the 49ers but was known as the play designer more than anything else. It was obvious why he wanted to take some 49ers players with him and will be interesting to see if he can recreate Mostert's success at the Dolphins, also be interesting to see what style of offense it is. I suspect it will be close to the 49ers last season but with the arrival of Anthony Lynne at the 49ers it seems the 49ers may be opting for more of a power run game and the rookie they drafted is that style of RB. So it could be less of the small fast guys getting to the outside than previous seasons.

Not sold on Tua yet and many thought the Dolphins might have moved on and taken a free agent or drafted someone. Without the coaching change he might have been gone. I think Carr and Adams will be a dangerous combo.
It's pretty clear Edelman's hard man zone of play on the field would eventually limit his career. That, and the 'roid use would hasten the end every time he tried to stay viable. A year off would allow some recovery and another few years but not playing like he played.

Good point, Edleman could likely sign with a team, contribute for a year (or until he got hurt) as a 4th receiver perhaps, make some $, taken his broken body and be done with it. Just seems risky to me. I'm also convinced the Edleman of 2018 won't ever re-appear. Nothing close.

That Chargers debacle is one more reason the estate tax in the US needs to be higher (or pushed to encourage high charitable donations in trusts), not lower. What a mess. Would the team be better off if they sold? Better than if the sister walked away? Or is she just resentful? Greedy? Would a new owner be happy with the team renting Stan Kronke's beautiful Rams stadium there? Could a new owner find some sort of deal 3, 5 years down the line to move the team into a new stadium in San Diego? The Spanos family never could (and frankly expected the city to cave and spend crazy money, then whined when the city wouldn't. Citizens of SD were overwhelmingly against having a large amount of tax dollars pay for a stadium. We've talked about this before. Most of the time it doesn't "pay for itself" like claimed. Sometimes it can result into solid urban re-newal. Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix for example).

NBC Sports is reporting the NFL likely to suspend Watson for a full year. Well, try to. The NFLPA is going to argue that since Robert Kraft got a slap on the wrist and the league knew Daniel Snyder was a rotten person, Watson should...get nothing? This all still seems premature to me.

There's still new information coming out. 22 civil cases yet to be settled. The NFL deciding now won't make this end. They haven't interviewed many of the victims, and haven't interviewed Watson last I heard. There's also likely a lawsuit involving the Texans looking the other way, knowing they had a sexual predator on their hands. Even, gulp, enabling his behavior.

What about innocent until proven guilty? Well, this isn't a court of law. The NFL is an employer-employee relationship.

Could he play until it's all settled? He sure could. Let's recall the Browns wrote his contract heavily back loaded, assuming he'd be suspended some of this year. Wouldn't it be ironic if he played most of this year, then was suspended for most of 2023? If the league wanted to punish both Watson and the Browns, that would be a way to do it.

Apparently plenty of people in the NFL office who haven't forgotten the entire Ray Rice debacle want Watson on the except to play list until all of the investigations and legal proceedings, including civil cases, are complete. What if he misses so much time, due to legal reasons, than any suspension would last? Well, Rice won his suspension appeal, but no team would sign him.

Kaepernick remains unsigned.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

Let's also not forget NFL rules have Goodell as the final arbitrator. I also refuse to believe after some of the serious flak Goodell was hammered with for not addressing sexual abuse in past cases, he's going to default to the side of patience, as well as a longer, harsher suspension. Thus, the while "NFL looking into a year suspension" seems suspicious to me. But who knows? Recall appeals go to a select group for review, but ultimately back to his office. The NFLPA even agreed to this in the last CBA. So, once he rules, that's it. However, no matter what decision he makes though, lawsuits are possible.

At this point, considering what they gave up to get him, I think anything short of Watson leading the Browns to several winning seasons, deep playoff runs, and a completely clean record going forward, would prove this to be another in a long, long, long list of bad decisions by one of the saddest franchises in sports history. Time will tell.

I just had to look up Ray Rice. He and his wife are still married, and he's been an advocate for preventing domestic violence, often coaching other athletes on the issue! Say what? Yes, apparently it's true. Both he and his wife are advocates and outspoken for support on couples counseling as well, which they did for some time. Now. there's a story of redemption for you!

Reactions: SHAD0W93
NBC Sports is reporting the NFL likely to suspend Watson for a full year. Well, try to. The NFLPA is going to argue that since Robert Kraft got a slap on the wrist and the league knew Daniel Snyder was a rotten person, Watson should...get nothing? This all still seems premature to me.

There's still new information coming out. 22 civil cases yet to be settled. The NFL deciding now won't make this end. They haven't interviewed many of the victims, and haven't interviewed Watson last I heard. There's also likely a lawsuit involving the Texans looking the other way, knowing they had a sexual predator on their hands. Even, gulp, enabling his behavior.

What about innocent until proven guilty? Well, this isn't a court of law. The NFL is an employer-employee relationship.

Could he play until it's all settled? He sure could. Let's recall the Browns wrote his contract heavily back loaded, assuming he'd be suspended some of this year. Wouldn't it be ironic if he played most of this year, then was suspended for most of 2023? If the league wanted to punish both Watson and the Browns, that would be a way to do it.

Apparently plenty of people in the NFL office who haven't forgotten the entire Ray Rice debacle want Watson on the except to play list until all of the investigations and legal proceedings, including civil cases, are complete. What if he misses so much time, due to legal reasons, than any suspension would last? Well, Rice won his suspension appeal, but no team would sign him.

Kaepernick remains unsigned.

Sometimes life isn't fair.

Let's also not forget NFL rules have Goodell as the final arbitrator. I also refuse to believe after some of the serious flak Goodell was hammered with for not addressing sexual abuse in past cases, he's going to default to the side of patience, as well as a longer, harsher suspension. Thus, the while "NFL looking into a year suspension" seems suspicious to me. But who knows? Recall appeals go to a select group for review, but ultimately back to his office. The NFLPA even agreed to this in the last CBA. So, once he rules, that's it. However, no matter what decision he makes though, lawsuits are possible.

At this point, considering what they gave up to get him, I think anything short of Watson leading the Browns to several winning seasons, deep playoff runs, and a completely clean record going forward, would prove this to be another in a long, long, long list of bad decisions by one of the saddest franchises in sports history. Time will tell.

I just had to look up Ray Rice. He and his wife are still married, and he's been an advocate for preventing domestic violence, often coaching other athletes on the issue! Say what? Yes, apparently it's true. Both he and his wife are advocates and outspoken for support on couples counseling as well, which they did for some time. Now. there's a story of redemption for you!
As usual the NFL is reactive instead of pro-active. The NFL formula is to wait long enough to see if things blow over but they were hopelessly out of touch with the Kaepernick situation and also some of the previous domestic violence incidents and I think that will only strengthen Watson's case re the ban time. There are no criminal charges as yet but its a PR disaster for the NFL who once again are seen as a bunch of ditherers. At this stage Watson should just stay silent until the case is finished, the damage has already been done.

The Ray Rice story is a redemptive one but also an unusual one for the better outcome.

The strange thing about the whole Kaepernick saga is that if he hadn't opted out and tested the free agent waters, he still may have a job. Chip Kelly was fired after one season which no one expected and Kelly wanted Kap back at QB but he also wanted to draft Dak who fell to the 4th round andt it seems that behind the scenes all was not well with Kelly and Baalke who often drafted defense first and Kelly never had the power he had at the Eagles. It sounds like Kelly rubbed Jed York up the wrong way as well not to get a second season. The 49ers and Kelly were vocal in their support of Kap but it seems he wanted to move on and obviously had no idea of what was going to happen next re the other NFL GMs. He had injury issues in his final season but came back pretty well with a limited offense which Kelly was desperate to upgrade. Maybe he thought that both he and Kelly were going to be gone soon and had some inside info. One thing is clear, Shanahan didn't want Kap to run his offense and the fact that he opted for Hoyer over Kap said it all.

Last edited:
What is interesting about the Watson case is that a grand jury said there wasn't enough evidence for a criminal case but what about all of these sexual harassment cases that go to trial that have no physical evidence because the victim didn't come forward sooner nor other witnesses. I have a feeling that its something to do with the Houston legal system weighing up the cost of the trial against a probable conviction. Then they were pressured to take it to a grand jury who were not convinced anyway. Plenty of he said/she said cases still go to trial with little evidence and convictions are still made but as with other celebrity cases I sometimes think the average citizen has trouble separating the public persona from the private one with high profile accused.

I was gobsmacked after watching the OJ Simpson series about his life and trial when some jurors admitted after the trial that they had already made up their mind that he was innocent and were not even paying much attention to the evidence presented. One of the jurors later retracted and said he was probably guilty but also said they were comfortable with their decision at the time. I can see why most lawyers say that they would prefer to be tried by a judge and not a jury.............

What is interesting about the Watson case is that a grand jury said there wasn't enough evidence for a criminal case but what about all of these sexual harassment cases that go to trial that have no physical evidence because the victim didn't come forward sooner nor other witnesses. I have a feeling that its something to do with the Houston legal system weighing up the cost of the trial against a probable conviction. Then they were pressured to take it to a grand jury who were not convinced anyway. Plenty of he said/she said cases still go to trial with little evidence and convictions are still made but as with other celebrity cases I sometimes think the average citizen has trouble separating the public persona from the private one with high profile accused.

I was gobsmacked after watching the OJ Simpson series about his life and trial when some jurors admitted after the trial that they had already made up their mind that he was innocent and were not even paying much attention to the evidence presented. One of the jurors later retracted and said he was probably guilty but also said they were comfortable with their decision at the time. I can see why most lawyers say that they would prefer to be tried by a judge and not a jury.............
Unfortunately in the OJ trial the prosecution absolutely blew it. Who would introduce bloody gloves as part of the murder ensemble without checking the size?

Yeah I don’t see any reason Edelman returns unless it is to place with Brady and Gronk. He has said he would only play in NE but he wouldn’t get paid. The injuries were catching up and he was dropping a lot of passes.

Gronk lost a lost of weight but he was also playing with the WWE and everything else and like Alpe said he’s the greatest TE without all the injuries. TB played it smart limiting the passes to keep him fresh while his blocking was still really good. So like his last year in NE. It would be crazy the career he could of had if defenders didn’t have to go low to tackle him.

Watson’s case is interesting and a lot either on the side Texans started the drama because he wanted out and actually happened. I feel like with any he did it with some but not all. It’s like a case with a basketball player awhile ago, a bunch of women started saying the same thing and for some it found out they weren’t even in the same town as him at the alleged times.

The biggest mistake the prosecution made was having OJ try the same gloves found at the scene. Dry, old, and was saturated leather gloves that will shrink. They should have got brand new ones as it was stated the gloves were new to show they fit. But like everything legal, it matters how good your attorney is. As people who are guilty can walk while those that are innocent get locked.

Yeah I wish I bet on TB to win NFC South and Super Bowl when Brady retired. One person was saying his wife bet $10 on Bucs winning Super Bowl and Gronk scoring first touchdown in the preseason in 2020 and they made bank. But it’s like in anything, I feel like I bet and lose. The only bet I’ve won was Valverde in LBL 2015.

Tua should also play better with an improved oline. Fitzpatrick is more experienced on when the line breaks down while Tua is working on it, plus got injured. That’s why a lot of their offense was short because the pocket would crumble. With Flores who knows as reports are he didn’t want Tua but management did and others saying he liked Tua.

Reactions: jmdirt

I think that Carr and Adams can be really good, enough so that when I heard about the trade I immediately thought about LVR as being a potential SB bound team.

Yeah I don’t see any reason Edelman returns unless it is to place with Brady and Gronk. He has said he would only play in NE but he wouldn’t get paid. The injuries were catching up and he was dropping a lot of passes.

Gronk lost a lost of weight but he was also playing with the WWE and everything else and like Alpe said he’s the greatest TE without all the injuries. TB played it smart limiting the passes to keep him fresh while his blocking was still really good. So like his last year in NE. It would be crazy the career he could of had if defenders didn’t have to go low to tackle him.

Watson’s case is interesting and a lot either on the side Texans started the drama because he wanted out and actually happened. I feel like with any he did it with some but not all. It’s like a case with a basketball player awhile ago, a bunch of women started saying the same thing and for some it found out they weren’t even in the same town as him at the alleged times.

The biggest mistake the prosecution made was having OJ try the same gloves found at the scene. Dry, old, and was saturated leather gloves that will shrink. They should have got brand new ones as it was stated the gloves were new to show they fit. But like everything legal, it matters how good your attorney is. As people who are guilty can walk while those that are innocent get locked.

Yeah I wish I bet on TB to win NFC South and Super Bowl when Brady retired. One person was saying his wife bet $10 on Bucs winning Super Bowl and Gronk scoring first touchdown in the preseason in 2020 and they made bank. But it’s like in anything, I feel like I bet and lose. The only bet I’ve won was Valverde in LBL 2015.
RE Watson's case: I think that there is a chance that a few of the woman are just jumping on, but there are 24 now so o_O! The only ? for me is how many of them were truly coerced? The reason its a ? for me is because I have seen first hand woman voluntarily throwing themselves at athletes and rock stars. Please don't misunderstand me, with 24, I'm pretty sure that some of them were pressured, but how many of them wanted to 'touch' fame? Since I have no actual way of knowing, I am going to give all 24 the benefit of the doubt while they short through this, and hope that at least some truth comes out (asap).

RE Watson's case: I think that there is a chance that a few of the woman are just jumping on, but there are 24 now so o_O! The only ? for me is how many of them were truly coerced? The reason its a ? for me is because I have seen first hand woman voluntarily throwing themselves at athletes and rock stars. Please don't misunderstand me, with 24, I'm pretty sure that some of them were pressured, but how many of them wanted to 'touch' fame? Since I have no actual way of knowing, I am going to give all 24 the benefit of the doubt while they short through this, and hope that at least some truth comes out (asap).
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say 4-6 jumped on, and the rest is split on wanting to do it for hopes of money, getting pregnant, or him dating them while the others were coerced. Heck, the coercing could have started after 1 or 2 came onto him so he thought all would want it. And even if they came onto him that still doesn’t make it right since there is a power imbalance. It’s like with everything else of people taking advantage of fans, especially younger ones.

Who knows. Like they say there is 3 sides to a story; mine, yours, and the truth. He might not go down for all 24 or who knows how many more, but he will lose some.

It’s like with the draft, how many women were in the hotel lobbies just hoping to be picked. To have one night with a player and maybe get pregnant or they catch feelings and become a thing. I don’t want to go there as all sexes have difficulty, but if I was a female I’d be making bank sitting at home playing video games vs having to go to work for 12 hrs 3 days a week.

If there is an underlaying joke I don’t get it. Unless you mean it makes sense since Little Caesars is poor quality and the league handles things poorly. I’d think Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos, Grimaldis, BWW, Wingstop, heck a lot of things over that to get to watch a game.
Little Caesar's hot and ready for $6. Domino's for $8. Neither are as good as Guido's, but Guido's is $22.

TRENDING THREADS