• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 564 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Another big Amendola fan. Loved his grit, the way he played.

If the Chicago Bears end up playing in a dome that would flat out suck. So sick of domes (regardless of what Pat McAfee thinks). Football, like baseball, is an outdoor sport. Weather is part of the factor, and both players and fans have embraced it for many years, and it's definitely been a part of football lore. If one wants to watch and play a game indoors, that's what basketball is for.

I'll give the owners of the team some credit though in that (so far) they aren't holding the City hostage the way the Spanos family did with San Diego. There are other teams and examples, but that one is the worst that comes to mind.
We'll have to disagree on indoor/outdoor. The conditions should be the same/similar at every game IMO.

That negates home field advantage drastically for teams and removes another factor teams have to plan for with the weather. Dome benefits the fans in the stadium and home team with crowd noise increased.
True.

In the '70s when I started watching the NFL, a snow/frozen game was kid of entertaining to watch, and more teams played outside. But that was a completely different game to what we have today. There's nothing quite as exciting as watching two high flying passing attacks rack up 30 yards passing (total for both teams), while the lineman and RBs slip-slide around for another 20 yards. No thanks, I want to see each team play their game.

SEA doesn't have a dome and they are one of the noisiest venues.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez

If the Chicago Bears end up playing in a dome that would flat out suck. So sick of domes (regardless of what Pat McAfee thinks). Football, like baseball, is an outdoor sport. Weather is part of the factor, and both players and fans have embraced it for many years, and it's definitely been a part of football lore. If one wants to watch and play a game indoors, that's what basketball is for.

I'll give the owners of the team some credit though in that (so far) they aren't holding the City hostage the way the Spanos family did with San Diego. There are other teams and examples, but that one is the worst that comes to mind.
Agree about the domes. There is something magical about those Bills and Green Bay games in the snow.

True.

In the '70s when I started watching the NFL, a snow/frozen game was kid of entertaining to watch, and more teams played outside. But that was a completely different game to what we have today. There's nothing quite as exciting as watching two high flying passing attacks rack up 30 yards passing (total for both teams), while the lineman and RBs slip-slide around for another 20 yards. No thanks, I want to see each team play their game.

SEA doesn't have a dome and they are one of the noisiest venues.
Seattle is very noisy so are the Chiefs and Saints home grounds. The Saints might be the loudest.

Seattle is very noisy so are the Chiefs and Saints home grounds. The Saints might be the loudest.
Being in the stadium against the Saints when Seattle had a losing record and was a playoff underdog was a gifted ticket. They came from behind, got close and then BEASTQUAKE!!!! Most exciting moment of sports since the Sonics NBA title and Junior's slide at the plate from Edgar's perfect drive!
Going to watch Marshawn's run again. Right now.

Something I just found out from YouTube is Brady has more playoff wins then every team but NE at 37, PIT at 36, and tied with DAL at 35. SF and GB are the closest at 34 and 33 with the next team at 25. Depending on how the season and next goes if he keeps playing, he could retire with most Super Bowl and playoff wins ever.

Not that all good centers aren't important, but Jensen is truly the CENTER of that line. He's good and he's nasty.

Not that all good centers aren't important, but Jensen is truly the CENTER of that line. He's good and he's nasty.
Thought that the 49ers would have gone after Tretter with Mack now retired but they seem to be taking the plug and play approach on their O line with some versatile experienced players plus a few new rookie signings and Tretter won't be cheap either. 49ers still have to extend Deebo and Bosa. ButTomlinson and Mack will certainly be missed off their O line. Not too much I hope.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Dropped his appeal - not eligible to play until week #7 :eek:

Like Brady said with Deflategate, it’s hard to win against 32 billionaires. If the superstar QB with a supermodel wife doesn’t have the money to fight it, no one does. Reminds me how with Kreuziger’s case in 2014 that people were saying UCI was hoping to get a quick win but Kreuziger had the money to fight it.

I hope when I get his age in 17 years I can still be in great shape and condition.
View: https://youtu.be/ulXPA2AEd40

View: https://youtu.be/QS5r0rK9TpQ

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad

I take what you are saying about the Spanos' at face value..what they did to our football is unfortunate and unforgivable.Remembering their attitude about Brees, Carney and Bernie Sproles not being good enough to play in San Diego..New Orleans didn't think so..we saw how that worked out..They throttled Jr..but the Patriots saw a place for him..twice!!Seau was San Diego!!
Now as hard as it is to say something neutral or nice about any Spanos..here goes..remember San Diego had the Clippers..and is still home to the Padres..and the combined decades of pro sports have been lackluster at a minimum,so as NFL franchise values went through the roof..the Spanos family played it smart,probably tripling the value of the Chargers wo much fan support. Not everyone can remember when we had ticket buyouts because playoff games were not sold out and as a result would be blacked out on TV..sad but true..couldn't sell out a home playoff game!!
The Chargers are putting a quality team on the field and in a long tradition have a great quarterback!! The only thing that the Chargers get right..and now there is support!!
Please leave Ryan Leaf off my data sheet..
I wonder how many football fans know that there is only one team from New York!!!?
And domes? If Chicago gets a dome what else will go in there? A wintertime Pearl Jam or Rolling Stones concert? Does Bad Bunny need a dome venue?
Maybe winter Supercross!!
And what are the cold stats? Does the home team win when it's 20 degrees? GB,Bears? Is it automatically a win? I personally like it when there is so much snow and you can't easily see the lines on the field!!

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

The time he had already missed must have been taken into account, even so, many will be surprised by the moderate extent of the recommended suspension. The Browns finally have something to cheer about............sort of.......... now they have to hope that Brissett can win a few games.
Suspend Ridley for a year but only Watson six games… ridiculous.

Like Brady said with Deflategate, it’s hard to win against 32 billionaires. If the superstar QB with a supermodel wife doesn’t have the money to fight it, no one does. Reminds me how with Kreuziger’s case in 2014 that people were saying UCI was hoping to get a quick win but Kreuziger had the money to fight it.

I hope when I get his age in 17 years I can still be in great shape and condition.
View: https://youtu.be/ulXPA2AEd40

View: https://youtu.be/QS5r0rK9TpQ
Good to see Jones grab one!

We'll have to disagree on indoor/outdoor. The conditions should be the same/similar at every game IMO.
Then make every game outside. :)

Mr. Goodell, tear down that dome.

I wonder how many football fans know that there is only one team from New York!!!?
You mean New York State. While the Jets and Giants are technically, (legally?) New York (City) teams that play in New Jersey.
And domes? If Chicago gets a dome what else will go in there? A wintertime Pearl Jam or Rolling Stones concert? Does Bad Bunny need a dome venue?
Maybe winter Supercross!!
Maybe Evel Kneivel's grandson can jump 100 busses inside the place?! ;)
And what are the cold stats?
Not nearly as much as people think. In super cold games:
  • Passing accuracy only decreases by 2%
  • Field goal accuracy decreases by 2%
  • Average punting distance decreases by three yards
Those numbers are almost negligible. Even some of the coldest games in history have had plenty of passing.

Link here.

Then make every game outside. :)

Mr. Goodell, tear down that dome.

You mean New York State. While the Jets and Giants are technically, (legally?) New York (City) teams that play in New Jersey.

Maybe Evel Kneivel's grandson can jump 100 busses inside the place?! ;)

Not nearly as much as people think. In super cold games:
  • Passing accuracy only decreases by 2%
  • Field goal accuracy decreases by 2%
  • Average punting distance decreases by three yards
Those numbers are almost negligible. Even some of the coldest games in history have had plenty of passing.

Link here.
Who can forget NE absolutely destroying TEN in the snow by passing. If Belichick didn’t bring Brady out with 25 mins left, he’d have destroyed the single game touchdown and passing yards record.

View: https://youtu.be/7A7cJp0f-e4

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS