• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 573 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This from Richard Sherman and KJ Wright's podcast:

Sherman added that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll would admonish the defense in meetings when they weren't playing well but wouldn't call out Wilson until he was older. All the animosity came to a head in 2015 after the Seahawks lost to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLIX when the team had to decide between giving Wilson a long-term extension or keeping its defense intact.

"After a while, it had to get to a point where he chose Russ or the defense," Sherman said, "and after the Super Bowl loss, he kind of made it pretty clear who he was choosing."
The Seahawks would sign Wilson to a four-year, $87.6 million extension in 2015, which at the time made him the second-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL. Slowly, the rest of the team's core pieces were discarded and by 2018 the defense had lost most of its best players, including Sherman and defensive linemen Michael Bennett and Cliff Abril.

Those losses, Wright and Sherman said, led to added pressure for Wilson which ultimately chipped away at Wilson's own feelings towards the franchise.

"And that's what happens when you made that decision," Sherman said. "They put that pressure on him. ... And now, it's on the quarterback to make this thing work. And when it didn't work, it was pressure on all side. And then you saw the breakup."
Wilson's divorce from the Seahawks has been much discussed since his departure this offseason. His frustrations with the franchise and Carroll went on for years and the team reportedly looked at other quarterback prospects as far back as the 2017 draft. But when Wilson returned to Seattle as a member of the Broncos in Week 1 and lost, it was Carroll who got the last laugh.

"So when you talk about who won the break-up between Russ and Coach Carroll, it's clearly Coach Carroll," Wright said. "He got the win. He got the city on his back. He got the former players coming to the game. And then it's just, Russ."

Except Russ really hasn't played great so far, and the Broncos gave up an insane amount to get him. Way too much I think. The question in Seattle is are Pete, Schneider, and Jodi (and other advisers) all on the same page? If so, I would assume Seattle is looking at the 2023 draft for a future franchise QB, unless they can get one in a mega deal off season, and rebuilding for 2024 and beyond. Is Pete going to coach until he's 75? Marv Levy did until he was almost 73, and like Pete, was pretty vibrant at that age (he's 97 and still going!).

I really believe there should be two bye weeks in the NFL season, and the schedule adjusted to where teams only play on Thursday night after a bye. The NFL has talked about going to 18 games as soon as next year, if they do, a second bye week seems like a must (plus a larger roster, and larger practice squad). If the NFL ever gets to 40 teams, like they are talking) especially if one team is in Mexico City, and another in London), this will be a must, due to travel as well.

Garappolo's history is winning games that the team is favored, winning games where the running game is going well, and defense is playing well. He has a long history of not making many stupid mistakes, but not taking over many games. In some ways he's not too different than Alex Smith in his last years in SF, and with the Chiefs. I agree his and SF's great shot was in 2019, but in that SB a very telling move was that Shanahan somewhat took the ball out of Jimmy's hands in 4Q, and counted on the run game to keep working, and the D to hold. I'm not saying Jimmy would have won the game Tom Brady style, he was sacked on their last big offense chance, and they lost by two scores, blowing a 20-10 lead in the last Q. But he didn't rise to the occasion like a "Tier 1" QB would (and Mahomes did).

That Eli thing was funny. A couple years ago Jared Goff did a very similar thing. He was throwing bombs blowing other players minds.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVit4vSAMsk
Denver panicked is the only discernible reason for them to pay that much for Russell who is clearly not the QB he was nor as mobile as he was.. Denver have had QB issues for so long that if they couldn't get Watson they would settle for overpaying Wilson instead or they could have done what they usually do and hire a Wentz or someone worse. With Brady getting closer to retirement and QBs like Jimmy and Cousins coming off contract that situation could get interesting. The Matt Ryan hire was a head scratcher as well. Ryan is clearly not what he was. Another team that panicked.

As for Jimmy when the wheels start to fall off it gets ugly. But missed penalties, and a tiring defense also hurt them. Mahomes never really came to life until SF had their 10 point lead and when the 49ers couldn't move the ball a few times that just opened the door. Mahomes went missing in the first half but the final 7 minutes redeemed him. It was a bad loss but not a completely surprising one. The NFC game with the Rams last season had a similar feel to it, blowing another 10 point lead but both times the opposition defense adjusted and Shanahan and Jimmy couldn't counter. Trent Williams injury didn't help and Kyle not giving the ball to Deebo at all in the final quarter when he wasn't injured was just bizarre. If the 49ers can't win a SB when Deebo, Kittle, Bosa and co are at their peak, the window will eventually close and players will start leaving as contracts expire. They already lost some solid players this season as its impossible to keep them all. Bosa' s extension will be next which means they could lose even more depth off their roster to pay for him and the contract will be a big one.

Goff had a great season in 2018. He hasn't looked the same since the SB loss but McVay had no option but to move on. The Rams wish they had a a 2018 Gurley on their team at the moment. Gurley was a killer for two seasons before the knee issue cut his career short.

Last edited:
Denver panicked is the only discernible reason for them to pay that much for Russell who is clearly not the QB he was nor as mobile as he was.. Denver have had QB issues for so long that if they couldn't get Watson they would settle for overpaying Wilson instead or they could have done what they usually do and hire a Wentz or someone worse. With Brady getting closer to retirement and QBs like Jimmy and Cousins coming off contract that situation could get interesting. The Matt Ryan hire was a head scratcher as well. Ryan is clearly not what he was. Another team that panicked.

As for Jimmy when the wheels start to fall off it gets ugly. But missed penalties, and a tiring defense also hurt them. Mahomes never really came to life until SF had their 10 point lead and when the 49ers couldn't move the ball a few times that just opened the door. Mahomes went missing in the first half but the final 7 minutes redeemed him. It was a bad loos but not a completely surprising one. The NFC game with the Rams last season had a similar feel to it, blowing another 10 point lead but both times the opposition defense adjusted and Shanahan and Jimmy couldn't counter. Trent Williams injury didn't help and Kyle not giving the ball to Deebo at all in the final quarter when he wasn't injured was just bizarre. If the 49ers can't win a SB when Deebo, Kittle, Bosa and co are at their peak, the window will eventually close and players will start leaving as contracts expire. They already lost some solid players this season as its impossible to keep them all. Bosa' extension will be next which means they could lose even more depth off their roster to pay for him and the contract will be a big one.

Goff had a great season in 2018. He hasn't looked the same since the SB loss but McVay had no option but to move on. The Rams wish they had a a 2018 Gurley on their team at the moment. Gurley was a killer for two seasons before the knee issue cut his career short.
Gurley was a delight to watch, even when he was killing Seattle and I cared.

Garoppolo had his moment in the Super Bowl and NFCCG to win the game and he missed both throws unfortunately. That’s something Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Brady, or Stafford last year would have won the game on.
49ers could have cost themselves a SB last season by not signing Brady. I think he would have got the job done where Jimmy couldn't. And I think not signing Brady helped motivate Tom for his Buccs SB win, not that he needs extra motivation. The only reason I think Kyle wouldn't sign Brady is he's a control freak and Brady likes to go off script plus when Brady retired the 49ers would have to look for another QB but most coaches would take a SB win over an unclear future..............

And I think what killed the Seahawks is everyone wanted to be the reason they did so well in 2013; from Wilson, Lynch, Carroll, and the defense. Everyone wanted them to be the reason they won and to take the credit so they get the accolade and more money. With how the Super Bowl ended, there might have been less blow back if they lost a different way. They needed plenty of miracles against the Packers with Rodgers not capitalizing on the many turnovers, the insane 2 point conversion throw that was in the air for what felt like an eternity, and the muffed on side kick. Wilson at one point completed as many passes to Packers as he did to his own team. In the Super Bowl they played well but we’re losing to NE and many forget it took a miracle pass for them to even get in the spot they were at. If they had lost to the Packers or Patriots with that miracle pass falling incomplete, things could have went different without everyone blaming the other.

But that pass was caught, the team got too excited and had to take a timeout, and they all thought they had won the game. People forget Lynch wasn’t productive in short yardage situations, from the goalie when he needed a yard or less, wanted to bleed as much time of the clock as they could, only 2 timeouts, and the pass play was a 100% for them. In their excitement they had to burn one of their timeouts to get down the field and their head back on. They ran the ball and was stopped and NE did what Seattle didn’t think they’d do, they let the clock run down. Meaning Seattle had less time to run multiple run plays. They forced themselves into a passing play that the Patriots had scouted. With losing no one wanted the blame and blamed everyone else, and that fractured the team. But the defense let the Patriots bully them all night. Carroll got out coached at the end and didn’t keep his team focused after the ending with too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Wilson threw the ball too far forward. And Lynch didn’t score on the first down though I think we can all agree he gets the least amount of blame.

Really solid win by the Browns. Punishing running attack when they needed it most. Should be 3-0 right now. They look good overall.
Denver panicked is the only discernible reason for them to pay that much for Russell who is clearly not the QB he was nor as mobile as he was...
Good post. Agree with all. Russ is still a very good QB. I just don't seem him being as good as he was a few years ago, or good enough to lead that team into the playoffs, let alone a SB win. Seems impossible. Let's not forget the Broncos gave up 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks. A 5th round pick, and three players. Two of whom are contributing for Seattle (Fant and Harris). The Broncos are paying Wilson $245m for the next five seasons, with $165 of that guaranteed. Not as "bad" (for the team) as what Cleveland gave Watson, but still way overpriced I think.

You're right about Goff. Though he looks like he's fit right into Detroit's system. Playing maybe better now than he ever did in LA.
The strangest thing was to get rid of Rus, but not look for a solid replacement.
Yet. Next year should yield three 1RD QBs drafted. CJ Stoud, Bryce Young, Will Levis. Also, Anthony Richardson, KJ Jefferson and Jaren Hall also could go late 1RD. Not sure if Max Johnson will declare, but he has all the markings of a future NFL QB. I'm sure Seattle is looking at all of these guys, and will be happy the are very likely to pick in the top 10 next year, and have Denver's mid-round pick. 2024 and beyond look promising...
Garoppolo had his moment...he missed both throws unfortunately. That’s something Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers, Brady, or Stafford last year would have won the game on.
Stafford 2021, yes. Before that? Not really. I'll also say Rodgers is a toss-up. He's played good, but not enough to win late, in one too many playoff games at this point. Still, the guy can make amazing clutch throws no one else can, or ever could. Allen still young.
49ers could have cost themselves a SB last season by not signing Brady.
That's what I say about the Raiders! Still holding onto Derek "that MF" Carr. The man I refer to as the anti-Plunkett. At his best when it matters least. Nice guy though, total team player, loyal. Hard to hate.
And I think what killed the Seahawks is everyone wanted to be the reason they did so well in 2013...
Just wanted to say great post. Great analysis.

That talk with KJ and Richard was insightful. I think they pretty much nailed it, without digging too deep into the dirt.

Stafford 2021, yes. Before that? Not really. I'll also say Rodgers is a toss-up. He's played good, but not enough to win late, in one too many playoff games at this point. Still, the guy can make amazing clutch throws no one else can, or ever could. Allen still young.
That’s why I said last year. Each playoff game he had a much needed throw to win the game. This year we will see if he can continue it. Rodgers I feel like the only playoff comebacks I remember are against the Cowboys and almost one on the Cardinals though in my opinion he is always a threat.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
And they are making more use of Hunt now than they have the last two years. And he seems to really be working hard every touch. So whatever they worked out, seems to be working both for him, and the team.

As to Aaron Rodgers, here's some playoff numbers:

4-2 in widcard games.
5-4 in divisional round games.
1-4 in NFC championship games.
1-0 in the Super Bowl.

Four of those losses were in OT, and in one he never even touched the ball.

That 1-4 in NFC championships, losing the last four he was in, is what sticks out. The 2015 loss to Seattle was nuts. He didn't play great late, but the defense lost the game. This is the same with a few other losses. Giving up 44 points to Atlanta in 2017, then 37 points to SF in 2020, 45 to SF again in 2013, and 37 points again to the Giants in 2012, whom they had beaten in the regular season.

As I scan the games, it's hard to find any games where he just stank or blew it. The 13-10 turd against SF maybe the worst, though SF had a superb D. The previous year's loss to TB of course really stung. Though few QBs in history would be unhappy with a post-season career like this.

He's never been a late 4Q heart stopping comeback king his entire career, mostly winning a methodical manner with dramatic, clutch throws along the way. But I think because he's made so many great throws, it's expected he'll win most every tough game, when that's of course absurd.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
And they are making more use of Hunt now than they have the last two years. And he seems to really be working hard every touch. So whatever they worked out, seems to be working both for him, and the team.

As to Aaron Rodgers, here's some playoff numbers:

4-2 in widcard games.
5-4 in divisional round games.
1-4 in NFC championship games.
1-0 in the Super Bowl.

Four of those losses were in OT, and in one he never even touched the ball.

That 1-4 in NFC championships, losing the last four he was in, is what sticks out. The 2015 loss to Seattle was nuts. He didn't play great late, but the defense lost the game. This is the same with a few other losses. Giving up 44 points to Atlanta in 2017, then 37 points to SF in 2020, 45 to SF again in 2013, and 37 points again to the Giants in 2012, whom they had beaten in the regular season.

As I scan the games, it's hard to find any games where he just stank or blew it. The 13-10 turd against SF maybe the worst, though SF had a superb D. The previous year's loss to TB of course really stung. Though few QBs in history would be unhappy with a post-season career like this.

He's never been a late 4Q heart stopping comeback king his entire career, mostly winning a methodical manner with dramatic, clutch throws along the way. But I think because he's made so many great throws, it's expected he'll win most every tough game, when that's of course absurd.
I thought Rodgers had a terrible second half against the 49ers last season in the snow game. Even Jimmy was looking better but the reality is, the GB special teams cost them the game, they stunk. Rodgers has lost four times now to the 49ers in the playoffs.

I thought Rodgers had a terrible second half against the 49ers last season in the snow game. Even Jimmy was looking better but the reality is, the GB special teams cost them the game, they stunk. Rodgers has lost four times now to the 49ers in the playoffs.
Rodgers didn’t help them though ignoring his open receivers either throwing incompletions, out of bounds, or getting sacked. That doesn’t help your special teams when you keep backing up. Just like you don’t help your team or defense not scoring till late in some and allowing the defense back on the field, or in case of Seattle barely scoring when your defense gets you 5 turnovers. Rodgers is either good in the beginning and bad late or vice versa, same with the defense in some of those loses until they finally broke.

Rodgers didn’t help them though ignoring his open receivers either throwing incompletions, out of bounds, or getting sacked. That doesn’t help your special teams when you keep backing up. Just like you don’t help your team or defense not scoring till late in some and allowing the defense back on the field, or in case of Seattle barely scoring when your defense gets you 5 turnovers. Rodgers is either good in the beginning and bad late or vice versa, same with the defense in some of those loses until they finally broke.
Once gain GB had all the advantages. The 49ers didn't have a bye or the home ground advantage or the weather which GB is more used to and GB had the MVP at QB. There were really no excuses. They did have the 32nd ranked special teams though and Rodgers didn't seem to be playing with any urgency at all. A strange performance by his standards. As good as he is in the regular season that playoff record is taking a battering. The weirdest stat of all may be that the GB defense played very well and the 49ers couldn't score a touchdown on them but still won ! All the points came from special teams errors not helped by Rodgers indifferent offense giving the 49ers pretty good field position and getting in a good enough position eventually for Gould to kick the game winner.

Once gain GB had all the advantages. The 49ers didn't have a bye or the home ground advantage or the weather which GB is more used to and GB had the MVP at QB. There were really no excuses. They did have the 32nd ranked special teams though and Rodgers didn't seem to be playing with any urgency at all. A strange performance by his standards. As good as he is in the regular season that playoff record is taking a battering. The weirdest stat of all may be that the GB defense played very well and the 49ers couldn't score a touchdown on them but still won ! All the points came from special teams errors not helped by Rodgers indifferent offense giving the 49ers pretty good field position and getting in a good enough position eventually for Gould to kick the game winner.
Maybe Rodgers needs to go on the trips before the post season, not the regular season. And build up a rapport with new receivers instead of old to put trust in them. At some point it can’t be everyone else anymore when the common denominator is you.

Good post. Agree with all. Russ is still a very good QB. I just don't seem him being as good as he was a few years ago, or good enough to lead that team into the playoffs, let alone a SB win. Seems impossible. Let's not forget the Broncos gave up 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks. A 5th round pick, and three players. Two of whom are contributing for Seattle (Fant and Harris). The Broncos are paying Wilson $245m for the next five seasons, with $165 of that guaranteed. Not as "bad" (for the team) as what Cleveland gave Watson, but still way overpriced I think.
If the Broncos don't make the playoffs this year it'll be a colossal failure. Let's go back to 2012 when the Broncos acquired Peyton: 13-3, Division champs (swept the division). Though they were upset in the 1st rd of playoffs by Baltimore, they went to the SB the next year. So, in just 2 seasons they were back in the SB. Foxy was the coach (either his 1st or 2nd season with the team).

I look at a similar situation with the Broncos & Wilson -- 2 yrs & back in the SB. I would normally have them excepted to win the division but this division is much tougher than it was back in 2012. To reiterate; no playoffs this year & a colossal failure trading the house away & putting all their faith in an aging QB leading the team to the land of milk & honey.

Last edited:
Yet. Next year should yield three 1RD QBs drafted. CJ Stoud, Bryce Young, Will Levis. Also, Anthony Richardson, KJ Jefferson and Jaren Hall also could go late 1RD. Not sure if Max Johnson will declare, but he has all the markings of a future NFL QB.
Richardson has moved up to early to mid-1st rd (this guy is total freak: 6-3/238 4.45 & can throw 75 yds!). Cam Rising from Utah is looking like late 1st rd material. They say Rising is the best QB at Utah since Alex Smith (what a name).

Thoughts on tomorrow's games.

If the Saints beat the Panthers, and Carolina goes 0-3, at what point is it Baker's problem to fix? Is he the person to blame?

I like Miami's chances against Buffalo. Why? Micah Hyde and Dane Jackson are out. Tre’Davious White is still out. Poyer will be playing hurt. Philips and Oliver are out on the DL. I'm not saying Miami will blow them out. The Bills are still deep. And their offense, especially Allen, will keep that from happening. But this thinned out D is too much to contain Miami's new offense. Plus the Bills are on a short week. Looks like Hyde is out for the season, and Jaquan Johnson and Damar Hamlin have shown promise as safeties. Still, losing a vet like him hurts. [Edit: Hyde is seeking a second medical opinion on a ruptured disc in his neck, hoping to be back late in the season. We'll see...]

I like the Lions against the Vikings in a high scoring game, keeping the Lions in 1st place. I know, what?

The Ravens will not blow their game against NE, and Cincy won't go 0-3 and lose to the Jets.

Raiders and Titans both underperforming at 0-2. Loser digs maybe too deep a hole for the season? I thought both had a chance at winning their devisions. But both QBs have been sub-par.

Green Bay gets another shot at Tampa. Not the playoffs, but this is a real test to see how well Rodgers is with this new offense, against one of the league's best D. But how will Brady, who has still made good throws, but looked a bit sluggish, do against a very improving Packer defense?

I'll take SF over Denver. I think the Broncos are going not only struggle to get past SF's D. The 49ers steady offense will rule the clock.

That's a lot of road wins, which doesn't happen too often.

Reactions: Nomad
49ers also have Kittle back and the Denver coach isn't looking too great at the moment Denver also has some injury concerns. Yes Miami will push the Bills with those injuries on defenseThe Vikings played bad last weeek so they are due for a good one this week. Maybe one of the hardest teams to put money on ! i still have more faith in the Raiders than the Colts and Titans. Matt Ryan was terrible last week.

Reactions: Nomad

TRENDING THREADS