• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 574 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Beasley is a strange dude, with some strong opinions about everything. Curious how well he'll fit into Tom's world.
Baker had Odell, Landry, Chubb, and Hunt and they couldn’t make it work.
Actually, in 2020 he made it work fairly well, except with Beckham. They even made the playoffs. In 2021 he played the majority of the season hurt. Granted, he pushed too hard during that time, and defenses stacked the line knowing he struggled to throw deep or out with much accuracy and without setting square to throw, but playing when you need surgery for a QB rarely results in a lot of positive games.

Remember, Cleveland didn't get squat in return for him. Though I think the feeling was mutual between both parties when he was traded. None wanted each other.

Hindsight is 20/20 but viewing his current skills would suggest they had to get the most for their asset. Not having another choice QB won't hurt tickets sales as long as they make some kind of progress I'd guess.
On this week's edition of Coaches speak the Obvious: Pete Carroll said Geno needed to show what he can do with his decision making.
How's that for flogging the mule when you've entered him in the Kentucky Derby?

Beasley is a strange dude, with some strong opinions about everything. Curious how well he'll fit into Tom's world.

Actually, in 2020 he made it work fairly well, except with Beckham. They even made the playoffs. In 2021 he played the majority of the season hurt. Granted, he pushed too hard during that time, and defenses stacked the line knowing he struggled to throw deep or out with much accuracy and without setting square to throw, but playing when you need surgery for a QB rarely results in a lot of positive games.

Remember, Cleveland didn't get squat in return for him. Though I think the feeling was mutual between both parties when he was traded. None wanted each other.
Baker also had 3563 yards and 26 touchdowns. 2021 was definitely a lost season.

What the heck are the games today!!! A lot of crazy wins so far!!

Miami with a huge m, huge win over Bills when they had been dominated the whole game but the Bills kept making mistakes! Not often you see that lob sided of a game with the “worse” team winning.

Colts with a big win over Chiefs and from what people were saying sounded like some mistakes on offense for Chiefs.

Packers held on to beat Bucs. Both teams looked like they started strong then had mishaps. Bucs were able to get pressure on Rodgers. Bucs offense started fumbling the ball when they were moving it. Both quarterbacks looked frustrated with their receivers drops and miscommunications. Brady looked like he was about to have the longest run for the Bucs without the holding penalty. With Godwin, Evans, and Julio out at different points (and it’s rumored Julio’s injury is worse than reported), the last three games have showed the Bucs offense struggling to consistently move the ball, be on the same page, and penalties or turnovers killing them. It could be a blood bath against Chiefs next week.

Last edited:
I endured most of the first half of the Broncos-9ers because nothing else was on the teevee. Only to realize....NOTHING AT ALL WAS ON.
This game alone validated all of the choices John and Pete made and did not make. I didn't see the rest of the game except some bits because, aside from Jimmy not knowing that the field plus end zone is 2" shorter than he thought; nothing happened. Russell pitched 12 yard tosses into the dirt to secure that 4th down punting option several times. Garopollo tossed fluttering ducks to Deebo, the franchise performer and forced him to take some punishing hits. Samuels came up after one kill zone reception near the end of the first quarter with his arms outstretched and looking at Jimmy. If I could see his face I'm sure the expression would be "why can't you stop dancing pitter-pat steps and just throw the ball like in practice?"

Seattle may not have won today but they certainly didn't lose as badly as they could've if they signed JG$$$ after trading RS.

This after watching KC get beat. Fortunately only saw last 6 minutes of that churner.

Some games looked more like week 1. Though I haven't seen all extended highlights.

One team that did look really good, really, really good, was Jacksonville. They just ran over the Chargers, in LA. Drive after drive. Doug Pederson is the coach for them. They are playing hard, and consistent. Lawerence finally looks for real.

I think where the Bills blew their game was when they had the lead they kept trying to chew up the clock, which wasn't a bad idea. But when they had to go from 1st gear, all of a sudden to 5th gear pedal to the metal at the end, they weren't in sync and relied on Allen to make every play. Love Ken Dorsey's meltdown at the end of the game. Look for it if you haven't seen it!

Baker wasn't great, but he was consistent for Carolina. So was their whole team. Great win over NO.

I know the are 2-1, and lost to Miami, but right now Baltimore looks as good as any team in the NFL, and Lamar looks back to MVP form. Mac Jones still has no deep field accuracy for NE. Pats in last place.

Eagles at 3-0, and just rolling. They look like a very solid team across the board, and Hurts playing well right now. Curious how well they'll do if he's in a game where he can't scramble, and has to really move the ball with his arm in the clutch.

Denver beating SF was almost a fluke. Good defense by both teams, but two bad turnovers late by SF did them in. Pretty messy game overall. Both teams looked sloppy at times. One good drive by Wilson late was all he had, that's it. But it was somehow enough.

Worst of all were the Raiders. They look capable of going 0-17. No, they aren't that bad of a team. That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that their defense has blown so many key plays, the defensive play calling was also head scratching. Soft zones at the worst times, blitzing at strange times, what looked like stuffing the line to stop on a run on what was likely to be a pass play. On D, Chandler Jones had a flat game I should add, after a ton of hype. But watching the team, I'm left with a bitter taste of what Gruden left. That treasure trove of high draft picks they got for letting Mack and Cooper leave (and generally sucking) turned out to be fools gold: Clelin Ferrell is a bust, Damon Arnette was a total bust, Alex Leatherwood was a huge disappointment. Ruggs is in prison. Koonce, Abrahm, Moerhig, many others were reaches (thank Gruden and Maycock). It's like they lucked out with Max Crosby. So, the LB and DB are thin, as well, what's left of the OL is not good, and for every great throw Derek Carr makes, he makes a very bad throw, often holding onto the ball too long, or trying to force something, usually at the worst time. The team has become painful to watch. Just painful. So yes, the way they are playing, they are capable of going 0-17.

Knew the Vikings would bounce back. Like the 49ers and Denver, you just don't know which version of the team will show up. One thing clear is that both teams are good defensively but it took Russell a long time to get going and frankly Jimmy had an awful game. Not sure why Shanahan stopped running the ball when they were averaging 6 yards per carry. Now the 49ers have to play the Rams without Trent Williams by the looks of it. Kittle looked rusty and the 49ers were racking up the penalties again. The refs had a poor game, missing calls on both sides. Not surprised that Pederson has the Jags humming along. Nor surprised by the Miami win with the Bills having some injury issues. Colts win surprised me, not so much the GB win. Looks like another season re last year on the way.

Denver beating SF was almost a fluke. Good defense by both teams, but two bad turnovers late by SF did them in. Pretty messy game overall. Both teams looked sloppy at times. One good drive by Wilson late was all he had, that's it. But it was somehow enough.
I wouldn't say it's a fluke - I'd say Jimmy G is lousy & couldn't get the job done. Lol. Isn't he suppose to have an NFL caliber arm? Could have fooled me - he was one hoping some throws & he looks like can't throw across the field very well. And he doesn't know where the back of the endzone line is? That's HS stuff with a QB stepping out of the back of the end zone - that should never happen with a NFL caliber QB. Frankly, the guy looked indecisive, unconfident & just plain scared. I can see why they wanted to go with Lance.

The difference in the game was Wilson's mobility & running capability. He looks pretty agile for 33 & can still take a hit. The Broncos really haven't had that kind of running ability in a QB since the Elway days.

Randy Gregory was an utter beast on defense! This guy is becoming a game changer. Through 3 games: 15 pressures, 2 sacks, 2 TFL, 2 FF, 5 QB hits. He's developing a high intimidation factor which scares QBs & puts tremendous pressure on O-lines. Dallas' loss & our gain.

Last edited:
Good win by the Cowboys. And to think I had written them off after week 1, figuring they'd be like the Raiders.

So, if Cooper Rush keeps winning, do they play him when Dak is healthy?

And what about the Browns? Brissett is playing quite good. One play and they'd be 3-0. What if the get to week 12 and they are 8-3? Keep in mind Watson hasn't taken a snap in nearly two years...

Good win by the Cowboys. And to think I had written them off after week 1, figuring they'd be like the Raiders.

And what about the Browns? Brissett is playing quite good. One play and they'd be 3-0. What if the get to week 12 and they are 8-3? Keep in mind Watson hasn't taken a snap in nearly two years...
I can't see DAL not getting Dak back in as soon as he is ready.

CLE is a completely different beast though. If they are 8-3 or even 7-4, they should really think about sticking with JB. Who knows how well DW can play. Can you imagine if they have 7, 8+ wins and put Watson in and he plays poorly/they lose?!

A good audition over time will still be helpful for Brissett's future contracts. Hard to see Watson being held out for long once the suspension is completed. Consider what they spent on him. Don't see any way Jimmy G returns to the 49ers next season. Interesting to see that Washington was set to signJimmy in a trade deal before the shoulder op was anounced which means that Wentz would be a back up at the moment. And if the 49ers had not rejigged his contract, the Rams admitted they were ready to sign him as a back up if he was released.

Thanks for finding that Ken Dorsey clip! I mentioned it the other day. While he goes off the rails, I'd rather have someone passionate like that leading my team that someone who doesn't seem to give a damn.
CLE is a completely different beast though...Can you imagine if they have 7, 8+ wins and put Watson in and he plays poorly/they lose?!
Sounds like exactly something Cleveland would do! :oops:
Don't see any way Jimmy G returns to the 49ers next season.
Maybe if they won the SB and he had a great season? But does anyone see that happening? I think he'll play better than he did this weekend, but I don't know that anyone really thinks he's the long-term answer for the team. I fully expect them to finish about 10-7 (again) and could win a playoff game. They do have a stout defense. If Williams is healthy the rest of the year, and things go good, they could win 11 games, at most. Or they could win 8, or 9. But they put a lot into Lance, and as I said a while ago, I really think Lance style of play is what Shanahan wants to coach, wants his offense to look like.

Thanks for finding that Ken Dorsey clip! I mentioned it the other day. While he goes off the rails, I'd rather have someone passionate like that leading my team that someone who doesn't seem to give a damn.

Maybe if they won the SB and he had a great season? But does anyone see that happening? I think he'll play better than he did this weekend, but I don't know that anyone really thinks he's the long-term answer for the team. I fully expect them to finish about 10-7 (again) and could win a playoff game. They do have a stout defense. If Williams is healthy the rest of the year, and things go good, they could win 11 games, at most. Or they could win 8, or 9. But they put a lot into Lance, and as I said a while ago, I really think Lance style of play is what Shanahan wants to coach, wants his offense to look like.
Pan to Jason Garrett clapping his hands.

Last edited:

In the next 5 weeks the 49ers have to play the Rams twice plus the Chiefs and the Cardinals probably without Trent Williams but they beat the Rams last year without Williams and the Rams defense has lost some players. They always match up well against the Rams winning 6 of the past 7 but they also won't have Jimmy Ward, and Mitchell at RB although Jason Verrett should be back. The defense looks good but the O line is a young one and Kyle and Jimmy have to get the offense back on track. Mitchell and Ward won't be back for a month or so. I expect Shanahan to go heavy on the run game against the Rams and hope Kittle can get back up to speed quickly. Denver did pretty good job on Deebo apart from one good run. Denver signed a few 49ers players and their defense looked ready. 49ers have Coleman back at RB plus Mack. So they have a few decent back ups but Wilson and Mason will get most of the work maybe with some Deebo as well.

I gave up trying to second guess the Browns................

The comments on that Tom Brady clip are hilarious!

I think the issues in Tampa are going to be power, and how badly transportation has been affected. If there's no power to enough of the city and outlying area, or a lot of debris all over, I imagine they'll call the change by Thursday.

Almost ANY venue other than maybe a college in Florida (or Foxboro?) would be a benefit for KC.

While I like Miami against Cincy, I do not expect them to blow them out, at all. This is the first game where we'll see the Bengals new white helmets. I think the whole kit (kit? That's a cycling term!) will be white.

Love how Mark Sessler at NFL.com described Jimmy G's return to SF:

"It's not unlike your ex moving back in: The early rush is soon replaced by a dark remembrance of what drove you nuts in the first place."

:grinning:

TRENDING THREADS