• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 593 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cowherd is right in his thinking. That is, if you're drafted very high, that's your best shot. Some guys get it, some guys don't. But rarely does someone who doesn't pan out, do well in the future. Goff for example seems to be doing okay in Detroit. Not great, but enough to make some very good throws he's had in him all along, and keep his job.

But Cowherd has also made so many "predictions" over the years, and gotten so many wrong, he's gloating here about one of the few times he got it right. I seem to recall him being one of the guys who said Lamar Jackson should switch to WR, or he would become the next Tebow.

Cowherd is right in his thinking. That is, if you're drafted very high, that's your best shot. Some guys get it, some guys don't. But rarely does someone who doesn't pan out, do well in the future. Goff for example seems to be doing okay in Detroit. Not great, but enough to make some very good throws he's had in him all along, and keep his job.

But Cowherd has also made so many "predictions" over the years, and gotten so many wrong, he's gloating here about one of the few times he got it right. I seem to recall him being one of the guys who said Lamar Jackson should switch to WR, or he would become the next Tebow.
Obviously Baker has been signed mainly for the doubts about Stafford returning. Neck and spinal problems are no joke and the elbow issues don't help. The Rams were ready to trade for Jimmy G in the off season and then the news he was returning to the 49ers which shocked a lot of people but 49ers fans kind of knew it was a possibility with the slow progress of Lance. Jimmy should get some interest as a free agent especially as now, he doesn't require a foot operation and his shoulder has healed up. Stafford's retirement would free up some money for the Rams and Jimmy would be a mid tier QB salary, he won't get Dak money or Cousins money but he'll get more than Darnold, etc....... or maybe the Rams have only signed Baker as a stop gap and will wait and see if he can improve at all which might end up being a mistake, who knows ?

When Cowherd's right you'll never hear the end of it but that seems common now with a lot of the talking heads these days. Fortunately there are less irritating personalities out there with more humble opinions to be found. Brian Baldinger is good to listen to, One of my favourites.

I’ve never really lost so many games like this. It’s a new feeling. One I don’t like,” Russell Wilson said after the Baltimore Ravens game.

Can always trust Wilson to state the obvious..........Denver fans grinding their teeth.............

I think that Baker is a good fit for the LAR. McV, Coen, Robinson, Olson, and Safford COULD/SHOULD bring out Baker's potential. I don't know how much money they will end up spending, but IMO, Baker is as good as Stafford, and is better than the 'other' QBs on their roster. He doesn't need to work too much on skill, he needs to work on the mental (decision making) part of the game.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
I think that Baker is a good fit for the LAR. McV, Coen, Robinson, Olson, and Safford COULD/SHOULD bring out Baker's potential. I don't know how much money they will end up spending, but IMO, Baker is as good as Stafford, and is better than the 'other' QBs on their roster. He doesn't need to work too much on skill, he needs to work on the mental (decision making) part of the game.
The Browns had a more loaded roster than the Rams and Stafford was a level above Baker but then he also had Kupp to throw to.. This year Stafford has had multiple injuries and the rest of the team was also hit hard by injuries and roster changes. I agree that the weakest part of Baker's game is the mental and decision making. If McVay can't improve him its unlikely anyone can. Although McVay also struggled to get Goff back on track and he is definitely playing better at Detroit.

The Browns had a more loaded roster than the Rams and Stafford was a level above Baker but then he also had Kupp to throw to.. This year Stafford has had multiple injuries and the rest of the team was also hit hard by injuries and roster changes. I agree that the weakest part of Baker's game is the mental and decision making. If McVay can't improve him its unlikely anyone can. Although McVay also struggled to get Goff back on track and he is definitely playing better at Detroit.
CLE had a great roster, but not a coach to develop Baker. IMO, Baker has WAY more potential than Goff.

Reactions: movingtarget
CLE had a great roster, but not a coach to develop Baker. IMO, Baker has WAY more potential than Goff.
Yes Goff was a weird one. Everyone picked him to go number one in that year's draft and he did but after the Rams lost the SB to the Patriots he just got worse and worse under McVay. But they also relied a lot on their defense and Gurley who was playing out of his mind at RB.

I’ve never really lost so many games like this. It’s a new feeling. One I don’t like,” Russell Wilson said after the Baltimore Ravens game.

Can always trust Wilson to state the obvious..........Denver fans grinding their teeth.............
I really don't know why they didn't see this coming. If he learns something from that feeling it could start with some humble perspective.
A football team was instrumental in his career rise. When his ambition started to focus on his future beyond playing the team game the peak turned downhill.

Tom Dumolin.
I think sometimes fans forget when seeing a Tom Brady or Alejandro Valverde just how hard being a professional athlete is not just physically but mentally. It’s easy for us to think a young, successful athlete can do this for an extended period whe they’re physically in good or decent shape but don’t know how hard it is mentally for them. In a way it reminds me of Manti Te'o when we saw the 2 hour documentary on everything that happened. That physically he still felt the same, but when everything happened with the catfish girlfriend and the criticism leveled at him that it severely affected him mentally. Which caused him to start having doubts of his ability, figured out the play, and if he should or shouldn’t do something.

Tom Dumolin.
C'mon man...Dumolin hasn't been given tens of millions of dollars in his career. After reading that article I don't feel one bit sorry for Luck & all his whining & crying that playing QB in the NFL is so emotional distressing. Lol. The guy made a fortune in his short career with BIG guarantee money up front: In 2019, he signed a 6-yr contract extension worth $140 million with 47 mil fully-guaranteed! Plus when he retired he reached a financial settlement with his employer where they did not take back any of the money owed!!!

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1165650268987502598?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1165650268987502598%7Ctwgr%5Ed19d754179a1ba7046900e30dfca98c6d86b8130%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fandrew-luck-colts-reach-settlement-after-shocking-retirement-might-have-lost-out-on-500-million%2F

I presume most of his here have to work for living. These high-priced cry baby QBs that ride the wave of their exceptional genetics get to make tens of millions playing a sport that's basically nothing more than entertainment & gambling to the world. Many of them don't know what it's like to really have to work for a living, and work well into your 60s & 70s just to get a halfway decent retirement.

Last edited:
I have no problem Luck retiring for whatever the reason - but I don't feel sorry for the guy either. Sorry, it's football, I don't want to hear how hard it is to make a $hit ton of money to play a game. I honestly don't really think Luck feels like he needs a pity-party either and the writing was selective.

Jim Irsay, like Steve Biscotti (Ravens) and Eddie DeBartolo (former 49ers), the late Paul Allen, long had reputations of paying or helping players without fighting it much. So I'm not shocked there.

If there is one okay thing about Von Miller being out, it's that Buffalo is deep at LB. While a major loss in name, it would have been far worse on another team.

Apparently Garappolo's foot/ankle isn't as bad as originally thought, and there's talk he could be back sometime in the playoffs. Maybe. The thought is, if Purdy can't cut it, and Johnson can't cut it, and they get to the AFC Championship or SB, and Jimmy can suit up, they'll have that option. I can't seem to find any updates on Lance, whose physician said the normal recovery on his surgery was 10-12 weeks, and another surgeon said 16 weeks to a full heal able to play football. That means Lance should be 100% healthy come playoffs.

Goff is definitely playing better in Detroit than he did in LA, on a weaker team. He's had one bad game this season (New England) that's it. He still has a pretty strong arm, not like Allen, Mahomes, etc. but good. And he's getting rid of the ball quicker and currently 6th in QBR this year overall. I have never seen Mayfield play to this level in his entire career. Close in 2020, on a stacked team (10th QBR that year). Could he? It's possible, and Sean McVey will without question be the best coach he's worked with. Sitting on the bench as the 2nd QB, and having to follow McVey's energy and strong leadership will compel Baker to shut up, work hard, and follow instructions.

Home game for the Raiders tonight*, and I'll take them to win, though the Rams looked decent at times against Seattle.

*Yes, I realize this game is in Los Angeles, but there are already a lot of old Raider fans in the city of angels, and Raider Nation travels there as well as the 49er faithful do. Expect to see a lot of silver and black, and a home crowd feel for the Raiders.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
I really don't know why they didn't see this coming. If he learns something from that feeling it could start with some humble perspective.
A football team was instrumental in his career rise. When his ambition started to focus on his future beyond playing the team game the peak turned downhill.
Not to make Denver's rear view mirror become clearer but this story is so close to rumblings in Seattle 2-3 years ago, post SB:

Russell Wilson's posse could be partly to blame for coaching issues for Denver Broncos
According to Luke Patterson at FanNation's Broncos site, Russell Wilson's personal quarterback coach is causing organizational issues for the Broncos.

Jake Heaps, the personal coach in question, is a former collegiate and NFL player who spent some time as an analyst on ESPN Radio before leaving that gig to take on the role of Wilson's personal coach, according to Patterson.

Patterson's article goes on to give some conjecture that one of the principal issues with the coaching staff in Denver is the lack of a hierarchy and the privilege Wilson has gotten in being able to bring his buddy along.

"Wilson's move to bring Heaps along and interject him into Dove Valley business directly disrespects the team aspect of professional football and all but spat in the face of Broncos' coaching staff. Remember, Heaps cashes his paychecks issued by Wilson, not the Denver Broncos."

C'mon man...Dumolin hasn't been given tens of millions of dollars in his career. After reading that article I don't feel one bit sorry for Luck & all his whining & crying that playing QB in the NFL is so emotional distressing. Lol. The guy made a fortune in his short career with BIG guarantee money up front: In 2019, he signed a 6-yr contract extension worth $140 million with 47 mil fully-guaranteed! Plus when he retired he reached a financial settlement with his employer where they did not take back any of the money owed!!!

C'mon man, yerself! I wasn't talking about money or whining....I was thinking about the undo pressure guys apply to themselves so they don't fail their team and everyone else that constantly ponder "what could be wrong with....?" At some point you just don't see yourself having the dedication to that goal while the rest of your life rolls by.
Whatever financial winfall that landed in Luck's pocket wasn't meant to be comparable to Tom D. You may be assuming money and the love of fickle strangers is enough motivation. I can assure you it's not.

View: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1165650268987502598?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1165650268987502598%7Ctwgr%5Ed19d754179a1ba7046900e30dfca98c6d86b8130%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnfl%2Fnews%2Fandrew-luck-colts-reach-settlement-after-shocking-retirement-might-have-lost-out-on-500-million%2F

I presume most of his here have to work for living. These high-priced cry baby QBs that ride the wave of their exceptional genetics get to make tens of millions playing a sport that's basically nothing more than entertainment & gambling to the world. Many of them don't know what it's like to really have to work for a living, and work well into your 60s & 70s just to get a halfway decent retirement.
From what I remember, like Manziel, Luck came from a wealthy family anyway ! But I guess even rich kids can be good at sport but you think of what spmeone like Alex Smith went through just to continue to play just shows that personality and mental traits are very different across sport.

TRENDING THREADS