• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 608 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course, it's Mahomes. I've posted numerous comments in the past how the Gunslinger turned around an above-average Chiefs team that could win the division & make the playoffs to a SB winning dynasty team (I got the Chiefs winning the whole thing again). Reid wasn't having that kind of success with Alex Smith, who mind you was a #1 OA pick.

The fact that Mahomes is what defines the Chief's offense & makes coaches look very good shouldn't disqualify Bieniemy from a shot at a HC job. Brian Daboll got his shot with the Giants. He was OC at Buffalo from 2018 - 2021 where the reason for the Bill's offensive success is Allen. Bieniemy might do well & turn a losing team around or he might choke. We simply don't know & it's all speculation until he's given a chance.

Too funny. But hey, he's got millions $$$ & a hot supermodel GF - what else would a man need to live a happy life. :cool:

Tough life Kliff.........he'll have no trouble gettng a college job when he's ready..........

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Of course, it's Mahomes. I've posted numerous comments in the past how the Gunslinger turned around an above-average Chiefs team that could win the division & make the playoffs to a SB winning dynasty team (I got the Chiefs winning the whole thing again). Reid wasn't having that kind of success with Alex Smith, who mind you was a #1 OA pick.

The fact that Mahomes is what defines the Chief's offense & makes coaches look very good shouldn't disqualify Bieniemy from a shot at a HC job. Brian Daboll got his shot with the Giants. He was OC at Buffalo from 2018 - 2021 where the reason for the Bill's offensive success is Allen. Bieniemy might do well & turn a losing team around or he might choke. We simply don't know & it's all speculation until he's given a chance.
Mahomes abilities were really a match made in heaven for Reid as Smith played too conservatively the majority of the time which didn’t take advantage of their skill positions with Hill, Kelce, and Hunt. This was the same team that lost to the Steelers by getting field goal kicked to death and 21-0 with Smith not wanting to risk anything. Mahomes gunslinger mentality and throwing ability opened up the whole field and playbook for them and if they didn’t lose Hunt, they’d probably have won 2-3 Super Bowls in a row.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1616092074784309253?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Not surprising with how predictable play calls were and the offensive penalties. This was something people were asking all year. Crazy though to go from head coach candidate to fired in less than a year. Even with all those struggles he might have kept his job with better luck on two plays the final game that would/could have made it closer, Brady’s interception and not getting enough under it ducking from a hit and Evans dropped touchdown. But I don’t think it’s fair to blame Brady’s miss throws or the receivers drops on him when those plays were open, players just didn’t execute.

I don't like this. He was solid in 19 (with Jamies), 20 (superbowl champs), 21 (lost to the superbowl champs in the div round), but one bad season (with a battered O line) and he's out?! The NFL is too "what did you do for me today".

IMO, that probably makes it more likely that TB12 will move on (other team or broadcasting).

Plus, I don't want hear Bowles ever complain about the lack of diversity when he is the one who is eliminating it (probably with pressure from rich white people).

Crap decision by TB. My guess is this either means Brady is sticking around and got him canned. Or they know Tom is gone and want someone else to develop their future QB.

Increasing talk that Brady is going to the Raiders. This would be a very costly mistake. But Mark Davis wanted him three years ago and Gruden nixed it. If the Raiders do sign him, it will completely fly in the face of what Davis and Dave Ziegler have said all season. That Rome wasn't built in a day, and they were looking to build a foundation for perennial winning teams for the future. But owners are impatient, reactionary. And if Ziegler and especially McDaniels sense heat, and feel they need to win now (regardless of what's come out of their mouths) they'll roll the dice. Big problem is, this isn't Brady 2010, it would be Brady 2023. Bigger problem: Tom can't play defense, and the Raiders were near the bottom of the league in every category, as I have said before.

So impressed by teams that have almost no drama, just keep moving along. Pittsburgh always comes to mind. But look at Seattle. One could speculate all sorts of change coming. But they seem to all be on the same page. Carefully planning.

RE: Kliff: we can all bash him, but he's living our dreams now. :p
Some quick calculations: Every two weeks he gets a paycheck of $180,769.23, and will through the end of 2026. I'd take a "one way" ticket to live in a mansion on a beach in Thailand with my model GF too!

I'm sure when he's "bored" doing that, almost any college team would hire him as a HC. He could also likely get an OC job in the NFL with the right team.
Mahomes abilities were really a match made in heaven for Reid as Smith played too conservatively the majority of the time which didn’t take advantage of their skill positions with Hill, Kelce, and Hunt.
Totally agreed with you there. I liked Alex Smith. Always felt he had talent. Very accurate passer. Got a bad deal with too many coaches and OC's. But he was very risk averse. The irony is people said he didn't have a good arm. But it wasn't bad, at all. He just was rarely big on throwing long balls, defaulting to 5-15 yard gains. Andy Reid is as much of an innovative, gambling coach in NFL history as any. But Alex wouldn't bite. Mahomes is indeed perfect for Reid.
If they didn’t lose Hunt, they’d probably have won 2-3 Super Bowls in a row.
I'm not so sure about that. After he was cut, they did lose to NE in the playoffs. That game they might have won, and likely gone on to beat the Rams. However, the Rams never should have made that Super Bowl in the first place. The Saints were the best team in the NFL then, and completely shafted on the worst non-PI call in history. A lot of "what ifs...?" A New Orleans vs. KC (with Hunt) Super Bowl would have been a lot more interesting.

They beat SF the following year in the SB, without Hunt. But lost, badly, to Tampa two years ago. I don't think Hunt could have helped much there. Their OL was somewhat depleted, but they also couldn't solve Todd Bowels pass rush and defense that game. Just one extra guy blitz, even stunts by the Tampa D, or overloading one side of the line, seemed to overwhelm the Chiefs, or confuse them, and easily rattle Mahomes. And Tampa played a lot of cover 0 and cover 1 without blitzing, knowing they could cover short to mid. Plus Brady played almost perfect, if not great. Hunt wouldn't have changed that much at all. Last year? Who knows. They lost in OT to Cincy when their D started to tire. Almost the opposite of the previous week's win over Buffalo.

In retrospect, since Hunt was never even charged when his then GF chose not to press charges. He admitted being wrong, and did all he said he would do going to all counseling, more, and has kept his nose entirely clean. In hindsight maybe they should have just suspended him the rest of 2018 without pay, and until the 2019 season training camp, pending a strict set of rules he had to abide by? This wouldn't have mattered in 2018, obviously, maybe not 2019. But he is a very good RB, still only 27 and I think he was an afterthought, not used at his best in Cleveland's North/South running. He's also a good receiver, but the Browns don't play that game, and he's second fiddle to Chubb. I wonder if he'd be welcome back to KC if they pursued him next season? Likely by the players, but the fans? The city? He still likely has 1-3 decent years left, I would think.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Watching a couple of football shows on ESPN and multiple people saying that Brady takes far,far fewer hits than other QBs and sprays the ball away quickly before they slam him..is that the offensive coordinator? TB good receiver corp and great running back..
That is very true and I don’t hold Byron accountable for that at all. He can’t control the oline getting injured. Teams all year were getting pressure with 3-4 rushers. On top of when they finally had a good run or pass there was a holding penalty. Unfortunately it a compilation of things outside of Byron’s control with receivers and Oline injured, dropped passes, and Brady being below his standards the majority of the time. But it’s his job to try and change things around and come up with something new, not keep trying the same things over and over again with no to limited success. How many times do we have to see a run up the middle for -3 to +2 yards on first down, followed by deep ball, then trying to get third and long. They could have tried a lot of things with play calls. And he might not be the oline coach, but he’s the offensive coordinator. The penalties fall on him and the head coach. I don’t think it’s fair he was fired after 1 down year with everything that has happened, especially when he was a head coach candidate but it looked and sounded like it was heading to that outcome.

Another reason the firing could have happened and what hasn’t been said, with Bowles so far staying as the head coach maybe their styles and mindset didn’t mesh and get along. Bowles on all his head coaching seasons makes conservative choices and play calling mon the offense. Byron seems to be aggressive with the play calling and play decision which went great with Arians. It could be as simple as the HC and OC just don’t agree and they chose the HC.

Totally agreed with you there. I liked Alex Smith. Always felt he had talent. Very accurate passer. Got a bad deal with too many coaches and OC's. But he was very risk averse. The irony is people said he didn't have a good arm. But it wasn't bad, at all. He just was rarely big on throwing long balls, defaulting to 5-15 yard gains. Andy Reid is as much of an innovative, gambling coach in NFL history as any. But Alex wouldn't bite. Mahomes is indeed perfect for Reid.

I'm not so sure about that. After he was cut, they did lose to NE in the playoffs. That game they might have won, and likely gone on to beat the Rams. However, the Rams never should have made that Super Bowl in the first place. The Saints were the best team in the NFL then, and completely shafted on the worst non-PI call in history. A lot of "what ifs...?" A New Orleans vs. KC (with Hunt) Super Bowl would have been a lot more interesting.

They beat SF the following year in the SB, without Hunt. But lost, badly, to Tampa two years ago. I don't think Hunt could have helped much there. Their OL was somewhat depleted, but they also couldn't solve Todd Bowels pass rush and defense that game. Just one extra guy blitz, even stunts by the Tampa D, or overloading one side of the line, seemed to overwhelm the Chiefs, or confuse them, and easily rattle Mahomes. And Tampa played a lot of cover 0 and cover 1 without blitzing, knowing they could cover short to mid. Plus Brady played almost perfect, if not great. Hunt wouldn't have changed that much at all. Last year? Who knows. They lost in OT to Cincy when their D started to tire. Almost the opposite of the previous week's win over Buffalo.

In retrospect, since Hunt was never even charged when his then GF chose not to press charges. He admitted being wrong, and did all he said he would do going to all counseling, more, and has kept his nose entirely clean. In hindsight maybe they should have just suspended him the rest of 2018 without pay, and until the 2019 season training camp, pending a strict set of rules he had to abide by? This wouldn't have mattered in 2018, obviously, maybe not 2019. But he is a very good RB, still only 27 and I think he was an afterthought, not used at his best in Cleveland's North/South running. He's also a good receiver, but the Browns don't play that game, and he's second fiddle to Chubb. I wonder if he'd be welcome back to KC if they pursued him next season? Likely by the players, but the fans? The city? He still likely has 1-3 decent years left, I would think.

What is crazy about Smith and people forget is he was a MVP candidate or in the talks the start of 2016 and 2017. Especially after they destroyed the Patriots at NE in 2017 I believe. Whether they beat Rams or Saints is a coin flip in my opinion.

With Hunt I think they beat NE that year in the AFCCG. I know they lost with him earlier that year but I think Chiefs could have scored more in the first half or touchdowns instead of field goals if NE defense had to worry about 3 players instead of 2. Yes they beat SF so their guaranteed one Super Bowl and I don’t think they would have needed all those dramatic comebacks with him there.

For the Bucs Super Bowl, I think the game would have been closer and more interesting with him in the backfield and Mahomes able to throw him the ball and make plays. The Bucs dared the Chiefs with cover 2 and the Chiefs never changed their game plan, which is crazy for a Reid team. Mahomes would have 3 playmakers he could throw the ball to short and they have the danger of taking it all the way with Kelce, Hill, and Hunt. Just like for teams it’d be hard covering Evans, Godwin, Brown, and Gronk on the field together.

Plus, I don't want hear Bowles ever complain about the lack of diversity when he is the one who is eliminating it (probably with pressure from rich white people).
Just hammers the point Skip and Shannon have with black coaches and trying or keeping head coaching jobs with their opportunities. And if it is for that reason it is a far, far away message from what Bruce Arians always communicated about equality and diversity.

If the Patriots hire Bill O'Brien that could be big. Their defense played increasingly well as the year went on, by the numbers. With O'Brien, Bill would be able to spend less time coaching the offense. DeMarcus Covington is technically their current DC, but everyone knows it's Belicheck. Matt Patrician could be moved directly from OC to DC, or into some sort of assistant coach (if he's willing) that focuses on defense, and/or Covington back to LB coach. The weak links in New England than are the combined receiving corps, and I'm not so sure on Mack Jones. He has grit, but seemed too emotional too often, and wanted to throw the ball deep. He doesn't have the noodle arm that Rex Ryan implied, but if you watch, too many long balls float, or were just off the mark. He's not Kurt Warner, and he's not even Tom Brady. Can O'Brien fix that?

Patriots are headed in the right direction. Seeing Belicheck say he wasn't going anywhere, and quickly dismissed any friction between he and the Krafts, the team's future looks promising.

The divisional weekend is often one of the best all season. Usually 3 out of 4 games are good. Often great. No weather issues anywhere, including Buffalo (a bit cold and breezy, that's it). Here are my predictions:

JAX@KC - As alive the Jaguars are, I just can't see them winning. Even if KC plays flat (highly unlikely), and the Jags make none of their usual mistakes, I still see Mahomes pulling a win out. If Jacksonville has one advantage, it's they have nothing to lose. No one expects them to win. But KC really has everything going for them. Home. The bye week of rest. Experienced coach, MVP quarterback. No real injuries on KC, just WR Hardman out, which is amazing. A whole list of guys on Jax "questionable", too many to list. That means 99% sure the guy plays, who knows how effective, or for how long though?

NYG@PHI - This is an intriguing game. First, just like the early game, few give the Giants a chance. So they will come in pretty loose and ready to play. The Eagles however must be under a fair amount of pressure. Now, their defense is superb. How hurt is Jalen Hurts? He looked okay, if a bit hesitant in the last regular season game. Is he fully healed? How in sync is he with their offense? This is only a real concern if they get behind, and stay behind. No one really on the injury report, including Hurts. So, he's ready to pass and run all over? Right?

CIN@BUF - Two weeks ago I was expecting the Bengals to run the table. But both Alex Cappa, and Jonah Williams are OUT for Cincy. Their other tackle, La'el Collins, has already been out. This is simply bad news. If the Bills can establish the run, they will control much of the game. If they get caught up in an air war, I'm not so sure. Josh Allen is amazing, but he also relies on his talented arm too often. This is how Cincy can win. Keep it close, then, Burrow is as good as anyone in the league late in games. This is the first game all season for Buffalo where neither Tre White or Jordan Poyer have appeared on an injury report, both playing full practice today. Micah Hyde working with the team, but not practicing. He and Jamison Crowder are both on the 21 day window, meaning both could return next week. Crowder I can see. Hyde? Impossible to tell. Neck surgery recovery is different every person. I think he'd be best to serve as a nickel or dime back, or eyes on the field, if they get to the SB. If Damar is in the stands or sidelines, it will be huge emotionally. But I don't think it changes the outcome. I'll take the Bills here in a very tough game, at home.

DAL@SF - There are a lot of people out there, including that ESPN super computer, who think the Cowboys can win. The thinking is that the 49ers (translation: Brock Purdy) has never faced a defense like Dallas. Also that the Cowboys offense has a lot of firepower. They can mix the run with two RBs, and throw well to the middle, where the 49ers have been exploited at times. But the 49ers have a lot of tools, and a lot of depth, and are at home. They can gash and slash their way down the field, and slowly grind down teams and take over games. Even in Purdy's "worst" games, drives, he's not been rattled, and adapted. The 49ers haven't been this healthy in about 3 months. Niner backup CB Ambry Thomas is the only player out. Dallas tackle Jason Peters is out.

Lawrence in doubt. Even if he plays I can't see them beating the Chiefs. Think its a year too soon for the Jaguars.

Liked the way the Giants played last week. Some doubt about Hurts shoulder. Giants will be depending on Jones and Barkley again. Giants in an upset.

Buffalo needed two kick returns to beat a wounded Miami last week. Have the feeling the Bills have gone slightly off the boil. Bengals in a close one.

49ers are on an 11 game win streak. Shanahan has the offense dialled up and I think he will exploit the Cowboys run defense and win the time in possession battle. CMC, Mitchell and Deebo will be a handful and Kittle and Aiyuk should get opportunities. Just think the 49ers will create more scoring opportunities and choke down with their defense. Think the 49ers will break the game open in the second half and Purdy so far has been unflappable. Cowboys will need big games by Dak and Pollard to have any hope.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Buffalo by 3..KC by 10..Eagles anyway possible.
I don't see Purdy continuing with his lucky phenomenon.. If there is a such thing.. defensive backs and linebackers dropping balls has been part of Purdy's winning formula, so if defense can hold on to perfectly thrown balls San Francisco loses by 7+ and Purdy throws 2+ interceptions..

Reactions: jmdirt
DAL@SF - There are a lot of people out there, including that ESPN super computer, who think the Cowboys can win. The thinking is that the 49ers (translation: Brock Purdy) has never faced a defense like Dallas. Also that the Cowboys offense has a lot of firepower. They can mix the run with two RBs, and throw well to the middle, where the 49ers have been exploited at times. But the 49ers have a lot of tools, and a lot of depth, and are at home. They can gash and slash their way down the field, and slowly grind down teams and take over games. Even in Purdy's "worst" games, drives, he's not been rattled, and adapted. The 49ers haven't been this healthy in about 3 months. Niner backup CB Ambry Thomas is the only player out. Dallas tackle Jason Peters is out.
Don't you think if Dallas loses...there will be hell to pay? Can you imagine the look on JJ's face as the clock ticks down & his Cowboys are at the losing end of the scoreboard. How does JJ wake up the next morning & face the NFL world knowing his Cowboys have lost to a "Mr. Irrelevant" led team & an overrated coach who is only head coaching because of his daddy. McCarthy might as well join Kingsbury in Thailand. Lol. The Cowboys simply can't lose - the orginization would implode. There's a small window for a team to win a SB these days & JJ has said this Cowboys team is the best he's seen in awhile & a legit SB contender. If they lose, you'll hear me LMAO all the way from the Mile High City. :D

Last edited:
Don't you think if Dallas loses...there will be hell to pay? Can you imagine the look on JJ's face as the clock ticks down & his Cowboys are at the losing end of the scoreboard. How does JJ wake up the next morning & face the NFL world knowing his Cowboys have lost to a "Mr. Irrelevant" led team & an overrated coach who is only head coaching because of daddy. McCarthy might as well join Kingsbury in Thailand. Lol. The Cowboys simply can't lose - the orginization would implode. There's a small window for a team to win a SB these days & JJ has said this Cowboys team is the best he's seen in awhile & a legit SB contender. If they lose, you'll hear me LMAO all the way from the Mile High City. :D
And losing to his team’s longtime rival.

I liked Smith too but he was terrible & never lived up to the expectations as a #1 OA selection. And he certainly didn't have anything close to the throwing talent of the Gunslinger. I strictly go with the evidence: Wins & loses & success in the postseason - the benchmark of measuring a franchise QB.

Smith played five (5) full seasons at KC before he was booted to Wash. In those 5 seasons he was a pathetic 1-4 in the playoffs winning only one WC playoff game subsequently losing in the divisional round. No SB title...No SB appearance...No AFC championship...nada...zilch. A total failure as a #1 OA pick.

Let's look at the Gunslinger - only a #10 OA pick. I'll exclude his rookie season of course because he sat behind Smith & only started that last game against the Broncos. In four (4) seasons, the Gunslinger is 8-3 with a SB win & MVP & two AFC championships! This is incredible & shows the enormous amount talent he has in single-handedly turning the organization around from an also-ran playoff team to a SB dynasty team.

You see the Gunslinger has that ability to make things happen in the face of adversity & make throws other QBs can't make. And with a golden arm like that, he's a nightmare for opposing DBs. He's one of those QBs that could be faced with needing a score to tie or win the game - and having the ball at his own 25 with 30 secs left & no TOs - he can get you that score. I've only seen this capability with a select few over the years (e.g. Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Big Ben).

I rest my case ...

Last edited:
Great drives by the Chiefs to score with Mahomes out, their drive in the fourth, and Butker saving the Jags touchdown. Jags had the chance to beat Chiefs but too many mistakes cost them the win. AFC looking stacked for the Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, and Jags to be the teams of the AFC and who goes to the Super Bowl like how Pats, Colts/Broncos, and Steelers were.

Jags tried hard. 4th quarter fumble by Agnew was big. A shame for him after his two great kick returns almost went all the way .Clark and Pacheco were big for Kansas as well as the one legged QB ! Jags future seems bright. Looks like the Chiefs are going to another SB unless the Bills and Bengals can do better than last week against weakened opponents.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS