• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 609 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Chiefs did what the had to, to win. X-rays for Mahomes all negative, so that's good. I don't think the Jags were going to win, but their own turnovers and mistakes just killed them, again. Agree with the others this game may ultimately be a hard lesson the learn from, with a lot of upside. I think this win helps KC for next week. It wasn't easy at all, but they played well across the board. Neutral site looks like Atlanta if they play the Bills, which to me would be stupid. Dark dome, astroturf. Lame. Especially as both teams play outside. But NFL execs like comfy spots.

Very impressive win by Philadelphia. At no time was that game even close to being close. They dominated every phase of the game. Throw the late season losses out the window. This team is stacked. The only way I see someone beating the Eagles is if they fall behind, and stay behind, and have to play from behind, continually. Dallas beat a Gardner Minshew lead Eagles, barely. People are saying the 49ers haven't played a D like Dallas (as if Dallas has played a team like SF?) but the Eagles D would be an even stiffer test, without question.

KC's offense vs. Philly's defense sure looks entertaining, and possible. Granted, we're only two games in this weekend.

Don't you think if Dallas loses...there will be hell to pay? Can you imagine the look on JJ's face as the clock ticks down & his Cowboys are at the losing end of the scoreboard. How does JJ wake up the next morning & face the NFL world knowing his Cowboys have lost to a "Mr. Irrelevant" led team & an overrated coach who is only head coaching because of his daddy. McCarthy might as well join Kingsbury in Thailand. Lol. The Cowboys simply can't lose - the orginization would implode. There's a small window for a team to win a SB these days & JJ has said this Cowboys team is the best he's seen in awhile & a legit SB contender. If they lose, you'll hear me LMAO all the way from the Mile High City. :D
I for one would love to see the look on JJ face if Brock Purdy has a solid, winning game. I live above a mile, too and love the view from here.

49ers hang tough but they had opportunities to score more. Credit to the Cowboys defense. The Kittle catch and the Pollard injury were huge. Shanahan went a little conservative after riding the Purdy train for weeks and it almost cost them. Dallas handled the run well until late in the game. Once again Purdy had a better second half than first although he almost blew the 3 points on halftime by holding the ball for too long and only leaving one second on the clock. Dak didn't show up and the Cowboys offense really didn't offer much overall. Skip and Stephen A will be both going out of their minds about now..............Quinn will possibly get a head coaching job, does McCarthy survive ? I think winning the the game against the Buccs might have saved him for the moment and Payton is getting plenty of interest from other teams. Eagles and 49ers should be a great contest as will the Bengals and Chiefs.

Was surprised how well the Bengals just beat the Bills in almost every aspect of the game. I think their defense isn't getting the credit it deserves. But all the same, Burrow was surgeon like finding tiny cracks in the Bills defense and exploited them, and their OL held up just fine. More than fine. One of the announcers made a point on how far the Bills sack and pressures dropped after Von Miller was hurt. I hadn't noticed, but it had to be true. But that Cincinnati OL, and especially defense, under appreciated. Can they slow down Mahomes enough? The proof will be in the pudding there.

I agree Shanahan was conservative with Purdy for a lot longer than I would have thought. It made sense well into the 2nd quarter of a close game to take few chances, but it seemed he didn't make any real aggressive throws until well into the 4th quarter. Still, the 49ers won, and a tough game. They look quite good, and have a lot of weapons. Not sure they can beat the Eagles, at least the Eagle team that played yesterday, but we'll soon find out.

If Jerry fires McCarthy after this, unless he's 100% certain he can get Sean Payton, and I mean 100%, it would be an enormous mistake. McCarthy has been a very stabile coach, a pillar for a sometimes loose team. I'm not going to blame this loss on Dak though. He had two picks, but neither were horrible. The game ground back and forth, and he made some very sound decisions, including spreading the ball to 7 receivers, and only took a single sack. Losing Pollard hurt more than anything. But credit the 49ers.

Only one of the four teams left hasn't won a SB: Cincinnati.

Loser Cowboys! LMAO! :p

An NFL record 12 consecutive playoff appearances without making it to the championship game. Landry is rolling over in his grave.

Words from a loser owner/GM:

Bengals absolutely dismantled the Bills and in the snow when you’d think Bills would be better or at least have more experience. Bills have to be doing some soul searching after coming up short again this year and having no pass rush without Miller. They played great but didn’t adapt for the postseason. If Mahomes is hampered, I think Bengals will win again in a 7 point game off a Mahomes turnover. It could be shaping up to being Burrow as Brady, Mahomes as Manning, and Allen as Big Ben.

Cowboys have to look at themselves. They lost two years in a row to their arch rival in similar fashion. Dak and the offense looked terrible after dismantling the Bucs but maybe that was the red flag. Both teams completely destroyed the Bucs defense with the same things happening in both games with penalties, missed assignments, and lack of a rush. I like McCarthy and think he gets a bad rap when he’s had similar success to Payton and Tomlin but your team i has been making the same dumb penalties. It’d be crazy if Jerry tried getting Brady or Rodgers to replace Dak and ironic that the two childhood fans of the Niners join their arch rival.

Niners look great, just question marks still around Purdy but they have talent at every position. Looking to a Super Bowl repeat and this time the Niners look better while the Chiefs look a little worse.

Both CGs should be great.

Was surprised how well the Bengals just beat the Bills in almost every aspect of the game. I think their defense isn't getting the credit it deserves. But all the same, Burrow was surgeon like finding tiny cracks in the Bills defense and exploited them, and their OL held up just fine. More than fine. One of the announcers made a point on how far the Bills sack and pressures dropped after Von Miller was hurt. I hadn't noticed, but it had to be true. But that Cincinnati OL, and especially defense, under appreciated. Can they slow down Mahomes enough? The proof will be in the pudding there.

I agree Shanahan was conservative with Purdy for a lot longer than I would have thought. It made sense well into the 2nd quarter of a close game to take few chances, but it seemed he didn't make any real aggressive throws until well into the 4th quarter. Still, the 49ers won, and a tough game. They look quite good, and have a lot of weapons. Not sure they can beat the Eagles, at least the Eagle team that played yesterday, but we'll soon find out.

If Jerry fires McCarthy after this, unless he's 100% certain he can get Sean Payton, and I mean 100%, it would be an enormous mistake. McCarthy has been a very stabile coach, a pillar for a sometimes loose team. I'm not going to blame this loss on Dak though. He had two picks, but neither were horrible. The game ground back and forth, and he made some very sound decisions, including spreading the ball to 7 receivers, and only took a single sack. Losing Pollard hurt more than anything. But credit the 49ers.

Only one of the four teams left hasn't won a SB: Cincinnati.
I disagree that the picks weren't bad. They were both throws that he shouldn't have made, but in the wrong location if he was going to force them (especially the one at the 10 after a good drive). He also flat out missed some critical throws. Not having Pollard was tough for sure.

I know scouting is a huge part of the NFL.. and I know that watching video for players and staff is an essential component of knowing the schemes that are historically used by the upcoming opponent and the often unimaginative offensive or defensive coordination.. that said Purdy has many many skills that look to come easy.. getting back and scanning the field and drilling it off his back foot.. He has some pep on his passes that's for sure.. But I see his best quality as selling misdirection and he held another master class in San Francisco.. the entire team starts in a direction, blocking down, student body left,including a fake hand off and Purdy instead goes by himself in the backfield the opposite direction and often finds receivers open because the run play to the opposite side was so convincingly sold and executed..
What was good for Purdy was bad for Allen and Dak..both guys a little flat and looked to be missing something.. Giants were just missing..

I realize that the officials are getting input from NY when they are reviewing plays/calls, but why in the world are they viewing the replays on a 12" tablet?

Microsoft is a 'proud sponsor' of the NFL, so view replays on a 40" 4K UHD XBOX display monitor.

*proud sponsor meaning that they have spent over a billion dollars to date ($400 MIL initial, plus infrastructure at venues, plus current ( 2020) yearly deal rumored to be about $100 MIL a year).

Mahomes has a high ankle sprain. I've talked about these before. Some players miss zero games and look 95% as good as normal. Others play, but aren't nearly as effective. Some miss a few weeks. The good news for KC is that Mahomes looked pretty good in that second half against Jax. So assuming he's mostly as good as normal, and he doesn't have to scramble on most throws, they'll be fine I think.

It’d be crazy if Jerry tried getting Brady or Rodgers to replace Dak and ironic that the two childhood fans of the Niners join their arch rival.
They won't get rid of Dak. His contract is written to where his pay isn't absurd, but compels the team to keep him through 2023, then there's a potential out. So, 2023 will tell us a lot.

I definitely do not blame Dak for this loss. They played well, but against the best defense in the NFL. As everyone has said, the may have lost anyway, but losing Pollard all but sealed it.
Niners look great, just question marks still around Purdy but they have talent at every position. Looking to a Super Bowl repeat and this time the Niners look better while the Chiefs look a little worse.
Funny in that I'm not sure the 49ers can get past the Eagles. If Dallas defense gave them a stiff test, the Eagles will be harder. The team that gets behind in that game will struggle.

I also don't see KC as a certainty over Cincy, at all. In fact, I think this is going to be a very hard game for the Chiefs. While my guess is the Eagles in the NFC, I'm at a tossup in the AFC. Game is in KC, but Cincy looked better than KC this weekend.

Reactions: jmdirt
I realize that the officials are getting input from NY when they are reviewing plays/calls, but why in the world are they viewing the replays on a 12" tablet?
Money. More Money.

Philosopher Eric Hoffer's "Ordeal of Change" thinking.

I've said a dozen times, it's baffling how we at home can tell within 30 seconds if a call is good or bad 99% of the time, yet officials take a few minutes. Since the technology obviously exists for the footage to be reviewed remotely, easily, quickly (as we can all attest), the rules should be changed to where it's reviewed at a centralized location, and if not determined to be overturned within 1 minute, the call on the field stands. There will be a few blown calls, but it will also compel the officials to streamline the process, work with efficiency.

I also believe on field referees should both be trained at such an officiating office, as well as spend one game a year, maybe just pre-season at first, learning those ropes as well.

Having extra long commercials, while on field referees look at the play is mindblowing. Just because they went from 1986 technology, to 2012 technology, doesn't mean they can't keep moving forward, and make use of what's been available for years and years now.

Mahomes has a high ankle sprain. I've talked about these before. Some players miss zero games and look 95% as good as normal. Others play, but aren't nearly as effective. Some miss a few weeks. The good news for KC is that Mahomes looked pretty good in that second half against Jax. So assuming he's mostly as good as normal, and he doesn't have to scramble on most throws, they'll be fine I think.

They won't get rid of Dak. His contract is written to where his pay isn't absurd, but compels the team to keep him through 2023, then there's a potential out. So, 2023 will tell us a lot.

I definitely do not blame Dak for this loss. They played well, but against the best defense in the NFL. As everyone has said, the may have lost anyway, but losing Pollard all but sealed it.

Funny in that I'm not sure the 49ers can get past the Eagles. If Dallas defense gave them a stiff test, the Eagles will be harder. The team that gets behind in that game will struggle.

I also don't see KC as a certainty over Cincy, at all. In fact, I think this is going to be a very hard game for the Chiefs. While my guess is the Eagles in the NFC, I'm at a tossup in the AFC. Game is in KC, but Cincy looked better than KC this weekend.
One week for a high ankle even a minor one sounds pretty skinny for me.. Not the sort of game you want to go into at 80 or 90% and it probably won't be that good.. Bengals have played the Chiefs well at their past few meetings so it should be a good one. 49ers will need to keep getting turnovers you would think. But something tells me that the flattering Cowboys win over the Buccs looked very similar to the Giants loss to the Eagles. Both teams were going to struggle in the playoffs and that just shows how good the Vikings really were.........I give the 49ers a chance but they need to generate much more offense than in the Cowboys game and there is no reason for Shanahan not to let Purdy wing it a little more. With neither team facing each other already this season its going to be interesting. With the Bengals on a shorter streak to the 49ers but still on a streak if the 49ers can win the SB from here, it will be some effort, needing to get past the two form QBs in the NFL or Mahomes with a rookie QB. 49ers fans have been happy to ride the rollercoaster so far but know it only gets harder from here.

It depends on how much stretching and/or tearing of the ligaments have occurred (I've had 2 high-ankle sprains in my younger athletic days & they're extremely painful on just trying to weightbear). Mahomes had an MRI today confirming the high-ankle sprain but the medical team isn't going to reveal the true extent of the injury for obvious reasons..He could have a torn ligament (s) for all we know. I'm sure it'll be aggressive & intense rehab all this week & they can do a heavy tape job plus a pain injection at game time. But it's going to be all about how mobile he can be, pain tolerance & the risk of the Bengals taking some shots at that ankle.

Here's an update from Reid but it really doesn't tell the true extent of the injury:

Money. More Money.

Philosopher Eric Hoffer's "Ordeal of Change" thinking.

I've said a dozen times, it's baffling how we at home can tell within 30 seconds if a call is good or bad 99% of the time, yet officials take a few minutes. Since the technology obviously exists for the footage to be reviewed remotely, easily, quickly (as we can all attest), the rules should be changed to where it's reviewed at a centralized location, and if not determined to be overturned within 1 minute, the call on the field stands. There will be a few blown calls, but it will also compel the officials to streamline the process, work with efficiency.

I also believe on field referees should both be trained at such an officiating office, as well as spend one game a year, maybe just pre-season at first, learning those ropes as well.

Having extra long commercials, while on field referees look at the play is mindblowing. Just because they went from 1986 technology, to 2012 technology, doesn't mean they can't keep moving forward, and make use of what's been available for years and years now.
More than a BILLION+ (over 10 years)?!

FYI (if you don't already know): I used XBOX as the monitor because XBOX is a Microsoft arm.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez

TRENDING THREADS