• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 610 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bengals game never looked in doubt. Quick 14-0 start and the Bills defense was off. Bengals ran the ball very well. Thought the Bills peaked mid season or so. With Allen's arm injury, when he returned so did the intercepts and the fumbles while the Bengals went on a winning streak and seem to have timed it right again. I think the Bengals are off to another SB while the 49ers game could be a war of attrition and not good for either team going into a SB. Playing the Cowboys defense then the Eagles, Purdy will never get a tougher ask but he has shown resilience so far and obviously trusts the talents around him.

49ers hang tough but they had opportunities to score more. Credit to the Cowboys defense. The Kittle catch and the Pollard injury were huge. Shanahan went a little conservative after riding the Purdy train for weeks and it almost cost them. Dallas handled the run well until late in the game. Once again Purdy had a better second half than first although he almost blew the 3 points on halftime by holding the ball for too long and only leaving one second on the clock. Dak didn't show up and the Cowboys offense really didn't offer much overall. Skip and Stephen A will be both going out of their minds about now..............Quinn will possibly get a head coaching job, does McCarthy survive ? I think winning the the game against the Buccs might have saved him for the moment and Payton is getting plenty of interest from other teams. Eagles and 49ers should be a great contest as will the Bengals and Chiefs.
Brock also benefitted from some batted and tipped balls that didn't get intercepted. Kittle's juggling act also could have turned out differently but what made that catch unbelievable iMO was his awareness of an impending hit. He dipped and avoided contact that probably would have separated the ball and maybe his head. He's an amazing player.

I think that's a very good move for NE to get O'Brien (back). It relieves Patricia, Judge and most of all Belicheck, from trying to fix the offense. The team now has a legit OC, starting now, for next year. Not sure where Patricia and Judge end up, but I'm guessing Judge stays as some sort of offensive assistant, and Patricia moves to DC. The Pats DC was often listed as Demarcus Covington, but not on their web page, as everyone knows Belicheck is the DC. Having Patricia go back to that job he did in the past, and Covington to focus on the DL and front 7, fits into a very nice puzzle. Assuming they all stay, and they all actually do get along.

A LOT of angry Cowboy fans out there. Viral videos of fans destroying their own TVs. There was a brawl outside Levi's stadium between Cowboy fans. That is, they were fighting each other! Some of the locals out of Dallas saying the team played so flat, looked more and more lackluster and uninspired as the game went on and that's why they are mad. Some say this is the worst loss in Cowboy history. I don't know about that, but Jerry Jones probably had an appointment with his gastrointestineohlogist, and cardiologist today. :dizzy:
Something tells me that the flattering Cowboys win over the Buccs looked very similar to the Giants loss to the Eagles. Both teams were going to struggle in the playoffs and that just shows how good the Vikings really were...
You might be right there. Good post.

I looked up Tom Brady's high ankle sprains. He's had two. But both times he had two weeks rest before playing again. One game he played better in than the other.

Mahomes had a mild high ankle sprain in 2019, and played the next week. He looked fairly normal, stats normal/good.

Found a good article talking about the same sprain to Jimmy G, and it talked about other QBs and their history with them.

I'll say what I did before. I think he'll play, and do fine. The guy can throw from anywhere. The key will be if the Bengals can force him to move uncomfortably with no more than 5 pass rushers. They can't afford to blitz more than that. Mahomes burns every team that tries. I just don't know if KC's defense can stop the consistent machine that is Joe Burrow leading the Bengal offense, and score at the same rate.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dallas made a change at O/C. Sure Dak wasn't good but the entire offense after the RB went down looked pretty stale apart from Lamb. Not to mention the silly mistakes made by Dallas re not getting the second foot down before going out and before that, going out but without forward motion which meant the clock didn't stop. Losing 30 seconds before a punt was taken ? Poor coaching or just poor execution ? All second half mistakes which were costly to field position and time remaining. The long drive by the 49ers in the 4th quarter which chewed up a lot of time seemed to take the oxygen out of the Dallas defense.

A LOT of angry Cowboy fans out there. Viral videos of fans destroying their own TVs. There was a brawl outside Levi's stadium between Cowboy fans. That is, they were fighting each other! Some of the locals out of Dallas saying the team played so flat, looked more and more lackluster and uninspired as the game went on and that's why they are mad. Some say this is the worst loss in Cowboy history. I don't know about that, but Jerry Jones probably had an appointment with his gastrointestineohlogist, and cardiologist today. :dizzy:
Nothing sounds more fun to watch than Dallas fans beating up on each other. Wonder what started that release of frustration.
Now: to the Cause:
.......his proctologist. Someone needs to help him get his head out of there.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dallas made a change at O/C. Sure Dak wasn't good but the entire offense after the RB went down looked pretty stale apart from Lamb. Not to mention the silly mistakes made by Dallas re not getting the second foot down before going out and before that, going out but without forward motion which meant the clock didn't stop. Losing 30 seconds before a punt was taken ? Poor coaching or just poor execution ? All second half mistakes which were costly to field position and time remaining. The long drive by the 49ers in the 4th quarter which chewed up a lot of time seemed to take the oxygen out of the Dallas defense.
They missed Cooper being in the lineup, Dak just started dialing it in to Lamb and the defense started just focusing on neutralizing Lamb.

Nothing sounds more fun to watch than Dallas fans beating up on each other. Wonder what started that release of frustration.
Now: to the Cause:
.......his proctologist. Someone needs to help him get his head out of there.
Same thing last season when the 49ers knocked them out in the first round. YouTube was full of screaming Dallas fans and TV's being kicked to death...........and there was also some subdued crying videos, Actually the Bengals had some good videos last year when they won their first playoff game for ages.

Respect to Chao. I think he's right on Mahomes. But in another video he said the Bengals OL played well against Buffalo because of the snow. I had to really think about that and believe he really over thought things. I mean, the weather was the same for both teams. And the Bengals OL played solid no matter what the play called. Run, pass, shift, pick up blitzes, move, you name it. The Bengals won in every phase of the game. It really wasn't that close. They can't play that different (as in, worse) on a better field, can they?
Same thing last season when the 49ers knocked them out in the first round. YouTube was full of screaming Dallas fans and TV's being kicked to death...
I honestly think this year's loss was much worse than last year. Worse than the year Romo botched the FG hold (they were just 9-7 that year anyway). Possibly worse than the year they finished 13-3 and lost to the Giants. That was the year they were way over confident, and Terrell Owens basically partied the entire week before the game. You could kind of see that loss coming in retrospect. This year was just as bad as the year they had the top seed but lost to the Packers in 2017. But that was a very good Packer team, Rodgers just sliced them up, and the Cowboys at least showed determination that game.

And that may be it. The cumulation of all these years, over 20 years now, of having some pretty good teams, plenty of talent, then another loss come playoff time. This time a really empty loss. Different coaches. Different players. Same result. The 49ers were the better team this year. But the fact a rookie Mr. Irrelevant outplayed Dak, and the Cowboy offense basically flatlined as the game went on, and one final, ridiculous play to end it, against the 49ers, yet again. One bitter pill to swallow.

I don't see Sean Payton fixing this problem, to be honest. Not sure of Jerry is going to seriously pursue him anyway. Let's also not forget Sean coached a QB named Drew Brees for most of those years. A HOF player who was like having an offensive coordinator on the field. The Saints are also a much more stabile orginzation than the Cowboys. If I were Sean, I'd just take another year off, and go back to New Orleans if he really wants to coach. They will be climbing out of their cap and dead money hole around then, with a potentially bright future. Or just follow the boatload of money to Denver. Put it into college funds for your grandkids.

Respect to Chao. I think he's right on Mahomes. But in another video he said the Bengals OL played well against Buffalo because of the snow. I had to really think about that and believe he really over thought things. I mean, the weather was the same for both teams. And the Bengals OL played solid no matter what the play called. Run, pass, shift, pick up blitzes, move, you name it. The Bengals won in every phase of the game. It really wasn't that close. They can't play that different (as in, worse) on a better field, can they?

I honestly think this year's loss was much worse than last year. Worse than the year Romo botched the FG hold (they were just 9-7 that year anyway). Possibly worse than the year they finished 13-3 and lost to the Giants. That was the year they were way over confident, and Terrell Owens basically partied the entire week before the game. You could kind of see that loss coming in retrospect. This year was just as bad as the year they had the top seed but lost to the Packers in 2017. But that was a very good Packer team, Rodgers just sliced them up, and the Cowboys at least showed determination that game.

And that may be it. The cumulation of all these years, over 20 years now, of having some pretty good teams, plenty of talent, then another loss come playoff time. This time a really empty loss. Different coaches. Different players. Same result. The 49ers were the better team this year. But the fact a rookie Mr. Irrelevant outplayed Dak, and the Cowboy offense basically flatlined as the game went on, and one final, ridiculous play to end it, against the 49ers, yet again. One bitter pill to swallow.

I don't see Sean Payton fixing this problem, to be honest. Not sure of Jerry is going to seriously pursue him anyway. Let's also not forget Sean coached a QB named Drew Brees for most of those years. A HOF player who was like having an offensive coordinator on the field. The Saints are also a much more stabile orginzation than the Cowboys. If I were Sean, I'd just take another year off, and go back to New Orleans if he really wants to coach. They will be climbing out of their cap and dead money hole around then, with a potentially bright future. Or just follow the boatload of money to Denver. Put it into college funds for your grandkids.
A lot of people 'know' about PM's injury, but unless they are his doc, they really don't know any more than us. Injuries like that are about degree of soft tissue damage, and no one outside of PM's circle know anything specific.

Same thing last season when the 49ers knocked them out in the first round. YouTube was full of screaming Dallas fans and TV's being kicked to death...........and there was also some subdued crying videos, Actually the Bengals had some good videos last year when they won their first playoff game for ages.
Nothing like seeing Texan tears.
Except in the old Earler days when Houston had a fun team to watch and Bum Phillips could coach. He also had a sense of humor to go along with his crazy team.

Mamomes had a press conference, and talked with Matt Hasselback. He didn't look ginger at all when walking. I'm guessing he's 98% going to be the same guy. He'll likely have zero designed runs, and he'll fall into sacks, Brady style, if the pocket collapses. But I'm guessing he'll be able to throw fine, move fine. And since he's not going to see any designed runs, his chances of having to make hard cuts like a RB won't be an issue. Everyone knows he beats teams with his arm, he can throw from any position, running any direction, wrong foot, falling over, etc.

I posted before KC's biggest focus really has to be how to stop Burrow. Or just slow him down. He's been Joe Montana like of late, just marching teams up and down the field surgeon like precision.

Mamomes had a press conference, and talked with Matt Hasselback. He didn't look ginger at all when walking. I'm guessing he's 98% going to be the same guy. He'll likely have zero designed runs, and he'll fall into sacks, Brady style, if the pocket collapses. But I'm guessing he'll be able to throw fine, move fine. And since he's not going to see any designed runs, his chances of having to make hard cuts like a RB won't be an issue. Everyone knows he beats teams with his arm, he can throw from any position, running any direction, wrong foot, falling over, etc.

I posted before KC's biggest focus really has to be how to stop Burrow. Or just slow him down. He's been Joe Montana like of late, just marching teams up and down the field surgeon like precision.
I'd give alot of credit to teams at this point for creative OF and Def coordinators. It's not like there are many secret talents hidden on contenders at this point; just creative ways to exploit talent. KC's defensive front will need to come in hard and early on Burrow to prevent early scoring. KC's always relied on hero rallies from Mahomes but, to your point; they may have to be controlled which isn't a catchup strategy. This will be an interesting game.

If he's not in walking boot & seems to walking fine, then maybe he'll be near 100% at game time. Perhaps he won't even need a Toradol injection. One good about having home field advantage is that he can rehab the ankle practically right up to game time unlike having to hop on a plane on Friday traveling to the opposing venue & losing access to their training/rehab facilities.

I think the bigger issue is the hits, i.e. cheap shots, the Bengal defenders are going to take at that ankle. This is the AFC championship - all is fair in love & war. Now maybe you'll disagree believing this is a "kinder, gentler" NFL & players don't do that kind of stuff anymore. But there's a dark side of the NFL - with things like dirty play & PED use - that diehard fans who worship these players like Gods don't like talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldermanish

Too funny....it didn't long for Hackett to get hired (one month to be exact). The loser coach couldn't even finish the season before being booted & one month later the Jets come calling. So, here's a million + salary plus the big $$$ Denver still owes him:

The fraternal order of NFL coaching: Millions, Status, Job Security.

Last edited:
If he's not in walking boot & seems to walking fine, then maybe he'll be near 100% at game time. Perhaps he won't even need a Toradol injection. One good about having home field advantage is that he can rehab the ankle practically right up to game time unlike having to hop on a plane on Friday traveling to the opposing venue & losing access to their training/rehab facilities.

I think the bigger issue is the hits, i.e. cheap shots, the Bengal defenders are going to take at that ankle. This is the AFC championship - all is fair in love & war. Now maybe you'll disagree believing this is a "kinder, gentler" NFL & players don't do that kind of stuff anymore. But there's a dark side of the NFL - with things like dirty play & PED use - that diehard fans who worship these players like Gods don't like talking about.
[/QUOTE
San Francisco was pretty messy and visible in the last two games, also. Philly should be up to shot-for-shot retaliation.

Too funny....it didn't long for Hackett to get hired (one month to be exact). The loser coach couldn't even finish the season before being booted & one month later the Jets come calling. So, here's a million + salary plus the big $$$ Denver still owes him:

The fraternal order of NFL coaching: Millions, Status, Job Security.
Don't get that hire at all. Seems like more questionable decision making from the Jets head office. And they still need a QB..........I'm guessing it won't be Brady or Rodgers..........

Don't get that hire at all. Seems like more questionable decision making from the Jets head office. And they still need a QB..........I'm guessing it won't be Brady or Rodgers...
I'm not going to try to predict what the Jets will do. I suppose they'll hang on to Wilson or White, let Flacco go and...who knows.

Couldn't make it through that Joe Burrow video. Seemed like a guy wanting to talk about all sorts of things, except whatever the quote may have been. (My apologies if this is you! May be my impatience).

Interesting that Dan Quinn is staying with the Cowboys. This tells me if anyone was close to offering him a HC job, it was a team he wasn't interested in (eg. Denver), regardless of the money. When Quinn wants to be a HC again, I'm sure he'll find plenty of bidders. Respect to Jerry Jones for shoring him up, and not making an emotional reaction like firing a heap of people after a bad loss. They have a very good team, they just need to improve some on offense, and fix Dak. This may sound challenging, but it will be easier than fixing Russell Wilson. Dak had several good games, and stellar moments this year.

TRENDING THREADS